BJ42

Default Business Ideas?

So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a chef.
Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). I have also
always wanted my own business - so the ideal would be to own my own
restaurant. Seeing as that is not likely to happen, I figure starting
business that sells culinary products (food, tools, appliances etc) would be
the next best thing.

Would any of you have advice on what I could perhaps sell? I am located in
Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. I could also export of course - lobster,
mussels, Digby scallops etc.

I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the knife
business (supplying restaurants etc).

Sorry for the scattered msg, any advice will be greatly appreciated indeed.

SDB

Sam D.

"BJ42" > wrote in message
> So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a

chef.
> Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). I have

also
> always wanted my own business - so the ideal would be to own my own
> restaurant. Seeing as that is not likely to happen, I figure

starting
> business that sells culinary products (food, tools, appliances etc)

would be
> the next best thing.
>
> Would any of you have advice on what I could perhaps sell? I am

located in
> Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. I could also export of course -

lobster,
> mussels, Digby scallops etc.
>
> I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the

knife
> business (supplying restaurants etc).

Starting out in any type of business in which you have no direct
experience is vet tough. Speaking from my own experience, I would
advise you to find a job in the same field and work in in until you
have a pretty thorough knowledge and understanding of the operation
and practices that apply to that type of business.

Thomas

My advice would be to stop smoking (whatever it is you're smoking) so you
could at least put together a coherent sentence.

<< So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a chef.
Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). >>

<< I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the knife
business (supplying restaurants etc).>>

might be best to stay away from sharp objects, but that is just my opinion.
(smile)
Thomas

"BJ42" > wrote in message
> So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a chef.
> Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). I have also
> always wanted my own business - so the ideal would be to own my own
> restaurant. Seeing as that is not likely to happen, I figure starting
> business that sells culinary products (food, tools, appliances etc) would

be
> the next best thing.
>
> Would any of you have advice on what I could perhaps sell? I am located in
> Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. I could also export of course - lobster,
> mussels, Digby scallops etc.
>
> I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the knife
> business (supplying restaurants etc).
>
> Sorry for the scattered msg, any advice will be greatly appreciated

indeed.

> SDB

BJ42

Hehehe.... yeah, I had a long day and that is essentially what led me to
write that dribble of a post! My apologies for seeming quite crazy!

"Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message
> My advice would be to stop smoking (whatever it is you're smoking) so you
> could at least put together a coherent sentence.
>
> << So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a chef.
> Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). >>
>
> << I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the
> knife
> business (supplying restaurants etc).>>
>
> might be best to stay away from sharp objects, but that is just my
> opinion.
> (smile)
> Thomas
>

> "BJ42" > wrote in message
>> So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a chef.
>> Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). I have also
>> always wanted my own business - so the ideal would be to own my own
>> restaurant. Seeing as that is not likely to happen, I figure starting
>> business that sells culinary products (food, tools, appliances etc) would

> be
>> the next best thing.
>>
>> Would any of you have advice on what I could perhaps sell? I am located
>> in
>> Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. I could also export of course - lobster,
>> mussels, Digby scallops etc.
>>
>> I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the knife
>> business (supplying restaurants etc).
>>
>> Sorry for the scattered msg, any advice will be greatly appreciated

> indeed.
>>
>> SDB

Jack Schidt®

"BJ42" > wrote in message
> So I have always wanted to attend a culinary school to become a chef.
> Problem is I cannot just quite everything now (commitments). I have also
> always wanted my own business - so the ideal would be to own my own
> restaurant. Seeing as that is not likely to happen, I figure starting
> business that sells culinary products (food, tools, appliances etc) would
> be the next best thing.
>
> Would any of you have advice on what I could perhaps sell? I am located in
> Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. I could also export of course - lobster,
> mussels, Digby scallops etc.
>
> I am thinking wholesale might be the way to go - or perhaps in the knife
> business (supplying restaurants etc).
>
> Sorry for the scattered msg, any advice will be greatly appreciated
> indeed.
>
> SDB

Speaking as a businessman, my best advice to you is to get focused on what
you really want to do, AND see if there's a need for it. For instance, if
the local knife salesman is behind in delivering the goods, there may be a
need for another knife guy in your 'hood. If he's only working part time,
then don't bother being a knife salesman. The concept of "I wanna go into
business but I don't know what it is yet" doesn't work; do some homework and
some legwork. Also consider potential liability - selling food is a big
one. Good luck, 'tis fun to work for oneself.

Jack Entrepeneurious

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> Good luck, 'tis fun to work for oneself.
> Jack Entrepeneurious

Yeah, as long as your boss isn't an SOB.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > , "Jack
> Schidt®" > wrote:
>
>> Good luck, 'tis fun to work for oneself.
>> Jack Entrepeneurious

> Yeah, as long as your boss isn't an SOB.

Yeah, like the pinhead I work for. Sheesh, wotta PoM.

Jack Oppressed

Sam D.

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > , "Jack
> Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > Good luck, 'tis fun to work for oneself.
> > Jack Entrepeneurious

> Yeah, as long as your boss isn't an SOB.

That's when it's time to organize and go on strike. ;-)

Katra

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article > , "Jack
> Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > Good luck, 'tis fun to work for oneself.
> > Jack Entrepeneurious

> Yeah, as long as your boss isn't an SOB.

ROFLMAO!!!

Thanks for the daily chuckle! ;-D

That was a good one.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Sam D."
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article > , "Jack
> > Schidt®" > wrote:
> >
> > > Good luck, 'tis fun to work for oneself.
> > > Jack Entrepeneurious

> > Yeah, as long as your boss isn't an SOB.

> That's when it's time to organize and go on strike. ;-)

LOL!! Good one, Sam.
-Barb Hoffa
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Andy Katz

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 06:21:44 -0300, "BJ42" > wrote:

>Hehehe.... yeah, I had a long day and that is essentially what led me to
>write that dribble of a post! My apologies for seeming quite crazy!

Why not take a look at Japanese-made gyuto (European chef's style)
knives, at least for a starter?

They're being carried at more outlets--Broadway Panhandler started
carrying a few only recently, and they're absolutely wonderful for
both home and professional applications. Everyone who cooks ought to
have one (I started cooking with a Henckels 10" and while I like the
shape of the edge, it seems like an ax to me now;-). They also vary
considerably in price, so there's something for everyone.

They're also light, so shipping costs via mail-order needn't be too
onerous.

E-bay might be one place to start. But also maintain a web site with
full descriptions, photos, and especially steel analysis and Rockwell
comparisons, because many of those sites that do carry them don't have
enough information.

Andy Katz
Being lied to so billionaires can wage war for profits
while indebting taxpayers for generations to come, now
that's just a tad bit bigger than not admitting you like
the big moist-moist lips of chunky trollops on your pecker.

Paghat, the Rat Girl
Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> ROFL... Too funny Sam. I've always wanted to work at home. Never could
> figure out how or what to do.

Michael I've got some _What's My Line?_ and _Password_ tapes for you if you
want...I've got Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Joey Heatherton, Gloria Swanson,
The Fondas, Eydie Gorme, Joan Collins, Betty White, Jacqueline Susann & Judy
Garland, Dorothy Kilgallen's last sad alcoholic appearance on the show, etc.
etc. etc. -- all in glorious black & white from the 50's - 60's...I'll shoot
a few down to you when I get them dubbed if you are so inclined...

Yesterday I taped *two* copies of _Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte_ (off the Fox
Movie Channel) for friends...combined them with Olivia de Havilland's and
Bette's appearances on _What's My Line?_ where they both mentioned filming
_Charlotte_...

[Actually I could really dig an at - home job making personalized videos for
people and doing "sho - bizz" research for them...]

--
Best
Greg "channeling Arlene Francis today..."