Jana Cole

Default How do I make pie crust taste good?

I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
to it to make it taste better.

2 - 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup oil
2/3 cup milk

Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?

-- Jana in the San Francisco area
zxcvbob

Jana Cole wrote:
> I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
> and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
> crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
> to it to make it taste better.
>
> 2 - 1/2 cups flour
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup oil
> 2/3 cup milk
>
> Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?
>
> -- Jana in the San Francisco area

Try using a different fat and a little more salt. Lard makes good pie
crust; I haven't tried tallow or rendered chicken fat but they should
also work well.

Bob
DJS0302

>I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
>and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
>crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
>to it to make it taste better.
>
>2 - 1/2 cups flour
>1/4 tsp salt
>1 cup oil
>2/3 cup milk
>
>Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?
>
>-- Jana in the San Francisco area

Are you sure that recipe is correct? I can't imagine putting that much oil in
a pie crust, or even using oil at all for that matter. Usually the amount of
fat in a pie crust dough is approximately 1/3 the volume of flour. So if you
used 2 cups of flour you would use 2/3 cup of shortening or lard. I would also
add more salt, about a half teaspoon of salt per cup of flour.
rmg

"Jana Cole" > wrote in message
>I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
> and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
> crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
> to it to make it taste better.
>
> 2 - 1/2 cups flour
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup oil
> 2/3 cup milk
>
> Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?
>
> -- Jana in the San Francisco area

My grandmother swore by lard. If you're squeamish about lards and
shortenings, try non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. Shortening really
does make flakey crust. Some recipes use both butter and shortening, such
as:

(from Bon Apetit 2000)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening, frozen, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 tablespoons (or more) ice water
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Preparation:
Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor. Add shortening and butter and cut
in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture
to bowl. Mix 6 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl; pour over
flour mixture. Stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more ice water
by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into 2 balls; flatten each
into disk. Wrap each in plastic and chill 30 minutes. (Can be prepared ahead
and refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month. If frozen, thaw
overnight in refrigerator. Soften slightly at room temperature before
using.)

- rox

Dave Smith

Jana Cole wrote:

> I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
> and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
> crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
> to it to make it taste better.
>
> 2 - 1/2 cups flour
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup oil
> 2/3 cup milk
>
> Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?

Oil in pie crust? No wonder she doesn't like it. Some people swear by
lard, but I get lots of raves about my pie crust and I always use Crisco.
The recipe is right on the box... Sift together 2 cups flour and 3/4
tsp. salt, cut in 1 cup Crisco just until there are small chunks of
shortening. Beat together one egg 1 tblsp. vinegar and 2 Tblsp. cold
water and stir into the flour/shortnening. Cut in half, form small balls
and refrigerate for an hour before rolling.

PENMART01

>"rmg" writes:
>
>My grandmother swore by lard. If you're squeamish about lards and
>shortenings, try non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. Shortening really
>does make flakey crust. Some recipes use both butter and shortening

Huh? All fats used in baking are "shortening", in fact fats are only
shortening when used in baking, otherwise they're simply fats.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
RMiller

>2 - 1/2 cups flour
>1/4 tsp salt
>1 cup oil
>2/3 cup milk
>
>Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?

here is one idea, but you probably won't like it. Use Lard.....

Rosie

Jana Cole > wrote:
> I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
> and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
> crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
> to it to make it taste better.

> 2 - 1/2 cups flour
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup oil
> 2/3 cup milk

> Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?

Add in some garlic powder and other herbs and spices
to the dough.

Christopher Green

Jana Cole > wrote in message >. ..
> I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
> and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
> crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
> to it to make it taste better.
>
> 2 - 1/2 cups flour
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup oil
> 2/3 cup milk
>
> Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?
>
> -- Jana in the San Francisco area

Butter or lard will give a crust of much improved texture. Just cut
the fat in to the flour; don't beat it. I find water gives a better
flavor than milk; YMMV. Use just enough liquid to get the dough to set
up. Too much liquid makes it difficult to roll.

--
Chris Green

Jana Cole

Ahhh !!! Sugar !! Of course !!

Thanks !

Jana
WardNA

>I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
>to it to make it taste better.
>
>2 - 1/2 cups flour
>1/4 tsp salt
>1 cup oil
>2/3 cup milk
>
>Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?

Indeed, that does sound repulsive. Try 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut
3/4 cups of butter or lard* into it. Gently and slowly moisten it with cool
water dribbling from the faucet, lifting and turning with a wooden spoon. Once
it can barely hold together, gently knead it into a doughy mass, and roll it
out. This takes practice.

Neil
Alex Rast

at Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:04:50 GMT in

ospam (DJS0302) wrote:

>>Are you sure that recipe is correct? I can't imagine putting that much
>>oil in a pie crust,... So if you used 2 cups of flour you would use 2/3
>>cup of
>>shortening or lard.

>I agree. I felt the same way about the amount of oil. However, when I
>reduced the oil, the crust was too flaky for these meat pies. They
>fell apart.

You've had a lot of recommendations to use lard. However, lard does wonders
for the *texture* of a pie crust (i.e. makes it more flaky), but not that
much for the *flavour* of the crust (stays pretty bland) Shortening, btw,
also makes the flavour bland and the texture isn't as good as lard anyway.

For good *flavour*, use butter. A classic ratio is for 2 cups flour, use 1
cup butter. Half butter, half lard yields high flakiness and good flavour.

But part of your problem is sturdiness. In that situation, an all-butter
crust is sturdier than one made with lard. Or you could use a crust like
that for Melton Mowbray pork pie (a great school lunch pie - I had them all
the time as a kid) which is designed to be sturdy and hold up under rougher
treatment. The recipe at this site:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk...rayporkpie.htm

shows up all over the place and is a good place to start. You don't have to
use the crust for pork pie only - you could wrap it round almost anything.

Hope this helps.

--
Alex Rast

zxcvbob

ospam (DJS0302) wrote:

>>>Are you sure that recipe is correct? I can't imagine putting that much
>>>oil in a pie crust,... So if you used 2 cups of flour you would use 2/3
>>>cup of
>>>shortening or lard.

>>I agree. I felt the same way about the amount of oil. However, when I
>>reduced the oil, the crust was too flaky for these meat pies. They
>>fell apart.
>>

> You've had a lot of recommendations to use lard. However, lard does wonders
> for the *texture* of a pie crust (i.e. makes it more flaky), but not that
> much for the *flavour* of the crust (stays pretty bland) Shortening, btw,
> also makes the flavour bland and the texture isn't as good as lard anyway.
>
> For good *flavour*, use butter. A classic ratio is for 2 cups flour, use 1
> cup butter. Half butter, half lard yields high flakiness and good flavour.
>
> But part of your problem is sturdiness. In that situation, an all-butter
> crust is sturdier than one made with lard. Or you could use a crust like
> that for Melton Mowbray pork pie (a great school lunch pie - I had them all
> the time as a kid) which is designed to be sturdy and hold up under rougher
> treatment. The recipe at this site:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk...rayporkpie.htm

> shows up all over the place and is a good place to start. You don't have to
> use the crust for pork pie only - you could wrap it round almost anything.
>
> Hope this helps.

I think the biggest problem with the lack of flavor is not enough salt.
The original recipe needs at least 1/2 tsp of salt, and probably a
little more.

Bob
WardNA

>For good *flavour*, use butter.

In general, yes. But I don't think butter would be that great with a meat pie.

Neil
Julia Altshuler

The crust I always use for savory recipes:

2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup grated sharp hard cheese such as cheddar or gruyere
lemon juice
1-3 Tbs. iced water

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using 2 knives or a pastry
cutter. Add the cheese. Sprinkle in the juice and/or water until it
starts to come together into a ball. Refrigerate until time to roll out.

--Lia

sf

Sorry about piggybacking on your post Alan... This is the
first time I've noticed this thread (I blame my news server)
and Google has system errors right now.

````````````````````

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:43:53 GMT, Jana Cole

Jana Cole > wrote in message
>. ..

> I make meat pies for my daughter's lunch. I make a bunch at a time
> and freeze them. She tells me she likes the filling, but not the
> crust. I think the crust tastes bland. I would like to add something
> to it to make it taste better.
>
> 2 - 1/2 cups flour
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup oil
> 2/3 cup milk
>
> Any ideas what I can add to make it more exciting?
>
> -- Jana in the San Francisco area

The recipe above seems to have way too much liquid... most
recipes call for just a small amount of water. So toss out
that recipe and get back to basics!

My grandmother made pie crust with lard, but I make it the
JOC way with butter - or 1/2 butter, 1/2 lard. Some people
even make decent pie crusts using vegetable shortening.

For pie crust recipes from Julia Child and other mavens
http://labellecuisine.com/archives/p...st_recipes.htm

Or for a modified Joy of Cooking crust
http://www.apocalypse.org/pub/u/steve/sweet/crust.html

Basic Pie Crust Dough:
(all honor and credit to the Joy of Cooking)
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes...sh-pastry.html

2 C flour
2/3 C shortening (can be all butter, half butter/half lard,
Crisco, etc.)
~1/2 tsp. salt
~3 T water

Stir together flour and salt with a fork. Use more salt if
the filling will be savory and/or if your shortening is
unsalted. You can add a little sugar if the filling will be
sweet (a couple of tablespoons).

Cut half the shortening into the flour, then rub in between
your fingers until the mixture has about the texture of
cornmeal. Then cut in the remaining shortening, leaving it
in roughly pea-sized lumps. (These form the "flakes" when
rolled out.) Add just enough cold water to make the dough
come together, chill until somewhat stiff, then roll out on
a liberally floured board.

This makes enough for a 2-crust 9 inch pie or two single
crust pies, six entree turnovers or twelve dessert
turnovers.

sf
PENMART01

>Subject: How do I make pie crust taste good?

Fill with dark chocolate pudding and top with gallons of whipped cream... um,
who said anything about eating the crust.