Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Margaret Suran > said:
> Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Margaret Suran > said:
> >
> > <snip>

> >>BTW, there is a small bowl with fun sized candies next to my entrance
> >>door at all times, in case a child comes to see me. ) Most of the
> >>time, my adult friends will eat the stuff. The kids who used to come
> >>and see me when I first moved here in 1977, are all grown up and have
> >>moved away and the new ones do not know me. (

> > If I lived nearer, Margaret, I'd bring my son to visit you -- he
> > loves nice people and I'm sure he'd be crazy about you... :-)

> Why, thank you. I live in New York City and if you happen to live
> near me, please, do come. Candy for your son and chocolate chip
> cookies for you. M

Unfortunately, we live clear on the other coast, otherwise I
would definitely take you up on that. Although Barb claims you
have a dark side, I'm sure she's just exaggerating... <kidding>

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
-L. :

Goomba38 > wrote in message >...
> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > Smell my feet...
> >
> > Anyone begun to stock up yet on treats for the rugrats?
> >
> > How much to you get, what kinds... how many do you expect?
> >

> No wayyyyyyyyyy... if I bought it now you *know*
> I'd be eating it ahead of time. Of course it helps
> if you buy stuff you don't like, but...what fun is
> that?? LOL

We had over 100 goblins last year. So we will be stocking up in a
couple weeks - gotta hit the sales. We give out a few pieces each.

The weirdest TOT we experienced was in San Jose from '00 - '02 - over
300 people - and I say people because we got 16 & 17 year-olds,
adults, etc. Freaking ridiculous. You have to give them candy
because they will otherwise scratch your car, throw crap in your pool,
etc.

-L.
(Who has her own little goblin for the first time :*) - he will be
going as Super Baby)
Tara

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:11:35 GMT, baker > wrote:
>It's amazing what a difference a half century can make. Back in the mid-
>fifties, before razor blades or needles or poison in apples and candy,
>many houses offered trick or treaters fruit or homemade confections. My
>mother used to make caramel apples rolled in nuts, or popcorn balls, or
>bags of caramel corn. Neighbors used to offer homemade fudge and
>homemade taffy. One elderly lady, who lived far down the street, used to
>decorate her basement like a witch's shack and wear a witch costume. She
>would invite several kids in at a time to bob for apples, and served us
>witch's punch and cookies. In our neighborhood we were encouraged to
>"perform" to win a treat, recite a short verse or sing a halloween song.
>We went up and down the street on our own, just after dark, no fear from
>possible molesters or the like, just goblins. Our costumes were usually
>homemade, too, and often quite elaborate. Masks were often the only
>purchased item we wore. Halloween was a lot of fun!

Not even a half century. This was my Halloween experience, too, in
the mid seventies to early eighties. The Tylenol scare changed all
that in my neighborhood and school.

Tara
Scrooge

I grew up in a small town (population 1900), and "Trick or Treated" in
the middle to late 40's.
We got apples, candy; one lady gave out nickels; the Jewish clothing
store owner always said if we were hungry he'd feed us, and offered
fried chicken and fixin's. The worst "trick" we pulled was soaping the
windows of the few who didn't offer treats, and we thought we were
really bad!
One year, after I'd grown up, we stopped at some friends with drink
glasses, and they treated us alcoholically then decided to join us. A
couple of houses later we were joined by another couple and we wound
up with a great party!
Where we live now is an affluent older neighborhood with large lots
and few little people. In the last 10 years I doubt we've had that
many trick or treaters.
Oh, and one year in New Jersey we had half a dozen teeny-boppers on
the front porch demanding cigarettes!
Scrooge.
Goomba38

-L. : wrote:

>>Any more ridiculous than taking an infant Trick or Treating?

> If your comment was directed at me because I said I finally have a
> child to dress for Halloween, that was pretty shitty. We struggled
> with infertility and suffered malpractice during the process - I
> waited a long time for him (4 years) and received him through the gift
> of adoption. And you can bet your sweet ass I will dress him up for
> Halloween - it's a big deal for us. Not that I owe you an
> explanation, but for the record, he's not going TOTing for Halloween.
> He's attending a neighbor's Halloween party to raise money for Unicef.
>
> -L.

Good grief.. talk about over reaction as well as
interpretation problems. I understood Barb's
intent immediately. No one was talking about you.
Great. You have a kid now. The issue was about
infants being taken door to door to garner candy
at Halloween. Just _who_ is eating this candy, you
wonder??

Melba's Jammin'

(-L. wrote:
> > (snip)
> > > The weirdest TOT we experienced was in San Jose from '00 - '02 - over
> > > 300 people - and I say people because we got 16 & 17 year-olds,
> > > adults, etc.

> > Make it fun. Chat 'em up. Work up a current events or civics quiz for
> > them to pass before getting the candy.

> Yeah, right. TOT is for kids - not greedy adults. Some people
> don't seem to understand this.

I surely do agree about greedy adults. I think I'd tell them that I
didn't plan treats for adults (although about three years ago I did give
the parents a jar of jam) and was saving it for the kids, and ask them
to introduce themselves and shake hands and all.

I don't consider teenagers to be adults though and am willing to have
some fun with them. So make it a teachable moment. If your objective
is to have a fun Halloween, I think you have to go with the flow, even
if it grates. I don't especially like to see teens out begging candy
but it doesn't look like I'm going to change them. So I adapt. I make
THAT part of Halloween something that I DO enjoy. I'm good at chatting
them up and making it fun. And when they leave my house, they've at
least heard who our US Senators are, who's running for President, who
Howard Dean is, and who the mayor of our community is.

> I highly doubt most of these people know what the word "civics"
> means.

So educate them. Here's a short definition: :civ·ics n
the study of the rights and duties of citizens (takes a singular verb)"

(snip)
> > Any more ridiculous than taking an infant Trick or Treating?

> If your comment was directed at me because I said I finally have a
> child to dress for Halloween, that was pretty shitty.

I regret that you were offended.
You didn't say you "finally have a child to dress for Halloween," L.
The subject line of this thread is Trick or Treat. Here's what
followed your sig: "(Who has her own little goblin for the first time
:*) - he will be going as Super Baby)" I interpreted that to mean
you'd have him out for Tricks or Treats.

> We struggled with infertility and suffered malpractice during the
> process - I waited a long time for him (4 years) and received him
> through the gift of adoption. And you can bet your sweet ass I will
> dress him up for Halloween - it's a big deal for us. Not that I owe
> you an explanation, but for the record, he's not going TOTing for
> Halloween. He's attending a neighbor's Halloween party to raise money
> for Unicef.

> -L.

I can only imagine the heartache of your situation and all that it
entailed--I'm sorry you had to endure all that. And I'm delighted and
thrilled for you, yours, the little muffin, and all the adoring
relatives who I'm sure have welcomed him into the fold. God bless you
all. My daughter has a calendar on her wall and the one for the year
2002 has all kinds of jotted remarks throughout on the various dates
that my Blue Ribbon Granddaughter learned a new trick. :-) And the
one for 2003 has jots about words and phrases: "Daddy no'ed me!" when
she ran to her mom after her daddy had told her "no" about something.
That's probably my favorite. Unless, of course, when it's reported to
me that she wakes up and says, "I want Baba come my house. Now." "-)

Have a good life with your little one, L. They DO grow up too fast.
And enjoy your Halloween party with him, too. I'm sure he'll charm the
socks off everyone. If you don't have a camcorder and a digital
camera, get one of each. The digicam is great for sharing pix (and
there are a number of inexpensive websites that will let you post them
<access can be controlled by password> so you don't have to mail big
files to friends and fam. And the camcorder makes for great home
movies. The BRG loves to watch videos of herself when she was a baby.
Go figure.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

not long AGO

Until 8 Halloweens ago I lived in Chicago, where many reports of pins in
candy bars and razor blade pieces in apples were reported. All of the
parents I knew simply tossed the candy as soon as their little beggars
brought home their bags of treats. What a waste.
So I decided to buy cases of pop (soda for the states that call it that)
to hand out. I get really great responses from the kids as they are
usually thirsty from all the walking and steps they climb etc. The older
kids especially thank me.
I now live in Oregon where an empty pop can gets a 5=A2 deposit return,
so the kids here wind up with a double treat.
The dollar stores have (thin) colouring books that I like to give to the
real little ones who might not be able to carry the heavy pop can around
all evening...I have gotten them for as little as 10=A2 each.
I also am not good at having candy bars around, I think I'd turn off all
my lighted decorations, close the drapes and pig out...

-L. :

Goomba38 > wrote in message >...
> -L. : wrote:
>
> >>Any more ridiculous than taking an infant Trick or Treating?

> > If your comment was directed at me because I said I finally have a
> > child to dress for Halloween, that was pretty shitty. We struggled
> > with infertility and suffered malpractice during the process - I
> > waited a long time for him (4 years) and received him through the gift
> > of adoption. And you can bet your sweet ass I will dress him up for
> > Halloween - it's a big deal for us. Not that I owe you an
> > explanation, but for the record, he's not going TOTing for Halloween.
> > He's attending a neighbor's Halloween party to raise money for Unicef.
> >
> > -L.

> Good grief.. talk about over reaction as well as
> interpretation problems.

It was a semantics issue. You can see my reply to her. But thanks
for your 0.02 nonetheless.

>I understood Barb's
> intent immediately. No one was talking about you.

Um, well, yes she was, based on her further explanation.

> Great. You have a kid now. The issue was about
> infants being taken door to door to garner candy
> at Halloween. Just _who_ is eating this candy, you
> wonder??

I wonder that as well and personally think it is in poor taste to do
so. But not as offensive as adults and teenagers.

-L.
-L. :

(-L. wrote:
> > > (snip)

> > > Make it fun. Chat 'em up. Work up a current events or civics quiz for
> > > them to pass before getting the candy.

> > Yeah, right. TOT is for kids - not greedy adults. Some people
> > don't seem to understand this.

> I surely do agree about greedy adults. I think I'd tell them that I
> didn't plan treats for adults (although about three years ago I did give
> the parents a jar of jam) and was saving it for the kids, and ask them
> to introduce themselves and shake hands and all.

LOL...well if I spoke enough Spanish to do so I would. As it is I can
travel in Mexico but that's about the extent of my capabilities. I
sometimes wonder if some of the people who do this don't understand
the custom of TOTing in the US - that it may be a cultural thing. I
no longer live there, so it's a moot point, now, for us. What I
really objected to was them trashing people's property when they
didn't get candy. They got our neighbor's car pretty good year before
last, and we ended up with dog poop in our pool the year before that.

> I don't consider teenagers to be adults though and am willing to have
> some fun with them. So make it a teachable moment. If your objective
> is to have a fun Halloween, I think you have to go with the flow, even
> if it grates. I don't especially like to see teens out begging candy
> but it doesn't look like I'm going to change them. So I adapt. I make
> THAT part of Halloween something that I DO enjoy. I'm good at chatting
> them up and making it fun. And when they leave my house, they've at
> least heard who our US Senators are, who's running for President, who
> Howard Dean is, and who the mayor of our community is.
>
> > I highly doubt most of these people know what the word "civics"
> > means.

> So educate them. Here's a short definition: :civ·ics n
> the study of the rights and duties of citizens (takes a singular verb)"
>
> (snip)
> > > Any more ridiculous than taking an infant Trick or Treating?

> > If your comment was directed at me because I said I finally have a
> > child to dress for Halloween, that was pretty shitty.

> I regret that you were offended.
> You didn't say you "finally have a child to dress for Halloween," L.
> The subject line of this thread is Trick or Treat. Here's what
> followed your sig: "(Who has her own little goblin for the first time
> :*) - he will be going as Super Baby)" I interpreted that to mean
> you'd have him out for Tricks or Treats.

Sorry, it's a semantics thing. We say "what are you going as for
Halloween?" meaning "what character are you dressing as?" or "I'm
going as a witch", etc. I know it's improper English, but there you
go. So when I said he would be "going as Super Baby" I meant he
would be dressing as Super Baby - not that he was going TOTing.
Sorry for the confusion - my bad. I tend to forget my audience
sometimes and just type (e.g.: the PDX backlash). Probably doesn't
help that I am usually posting in the wee hours, as well.

> > We struggled with infertility and suffered malpractice during the
> > process - I waited a long time for him (4 years) and received him
> > through the gift of adoption. And you can bet your sweet ass I will
> > dress him up for Halloween - it's a big deal for us. Not that I owe
> > you an explanation, but for the record, he's not going TOTing for
> > Halloween. He's attending a neighbor's Halloween party to raise money
> > for Unicef.

> > -L.

> I can only imagine the heartache of your situation and all that it
> entailed--I'm sorry you had to endure all that. And I'm delighted and
> thrilled for you, yours, the little muffin, and all the adoring
> relatives who I'm sure have welcomed him into the fold. God bless you
> all. My daughter has a calendar on her wall and the one for the year
> 2002 has all kinds of jotted remarks throughout on the various dates
> that my Blue Ribbon Granddaughter learned a new trick. :-) And the
> one for 2003 has jots about words and phrases: "Daddy no'ed me!" when
> she ran to her mom after her daddy had told her "no" about something.
> That's probably my favorite. Unless, of course, when it's reported to
> me that she wakes up and says, "I want Baba come my house. Now." "-)

Cute. Thanks for your kind words. I definitely over reacted.
Sorry about that.

> Have a good life with your little one, L. They DO grow up too fast.
> And enjoy your Halloween party with him, too. I'm sure he'll charm the
> socks off everyone. If you don't have a camcorder and a digital
> camera, get one of each. The digicam is great for sharing pix (and
> there are a number of inexpensive websites that will let you post them
> <access can be controlled by password> so you don't have to mail big
> files to friends and fam. And the camcorder makes for great home
> movies. The BRG loves to watch videos of herself when she was a baby.
> Go figure.

We have both. We take try to take a pic of him every day. Daddy's a
computer hardware engineer and designs video chips, so this is his
forte. Me, I just point and click.

Sorry again for gettinmg bent out of shape. I think it was just a
misunderstanding/semanitcs thing. And FWIW, I think using the baby as
an excuse to beg for candy is ridiculous as well - but then I don't
believe in huge birthday parties for infants, publishing wish lists
for gifts, and other things like that.

-L.
Margaret Suran

-L. : wrote:
> Goomba38 > wrote in message

>>> If your comment was directed at me because I said I finally
>>> have a child to dress for Halloween, that was pretty shitty.
>>> We struggled with infertility and suffered malpractice during
>>> the process - I waited a long time for him (4 years) and
>>> received him through the gift of adoption. And you can bet
>>> your sweet ass I will dress him up for Halloween - it's a big
>>> deal for us. Not that I owe you an explanation, but for the
>>> record, he's not going TOTing for Halloween. He's attending a
>>> neighbor's Halloween party to raise money for Unicef.
>>>
>>> -L.

>> Good grief.. talk about over reaction as well as interpretation
>> problems.

> It was a semantics issue. You can see my reply to her. But thanks
> for your 0.02 nonetheless.
>

>> I understood Barb's intent immediately. No one was talking about
>> you.

> Um, well, yes she was, based on her further explanation.
>

>> Great. You have a kid now. The issue was about infants being
>> taken door to door to garner candy at Halloween. Just _who_ is
>> eating this candy, you wonder??

> I wonder that as well and personally think it is in poor taste to
> do so. But not as offensive as adults and teenagers.
>
> -L.

Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors. I have so
much pleasure when the tiny ones come around on Halloween, I make
certain the parents in my building know it. Every year, a day or two
before Halloween, a large sheet of paper is displayed in each of the
three parts of our high rise building. It is on the tables in the
three mailbox alcoves and only the people who want Trick and Trickers
to come, fill in their names, apartment numbers and the time it will
be convenient for them to give out treats.

I am so eager to see the the little ones, I always write "treats for
infants and babies" and I prepare little rattles or board books or
other stuff I pick up inexpensively during the year. There are so
many born since last Halloween, at times I run out of those treats,
but the parents don't care and the babies are too young to know that
they did not get anything. As it is, the parents get freshly baked
chocolate chip cookies.

I love Halloween.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(-L. wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message

> > I surely do agree about greedy adults. I think I'd tell them that
> > I didn't plan treats for adults (although about three years ago I
> > did give the parents a jar of jam) and was saving it for the kids,
> > and ask them to introduce themselves and shake hands and all.

> What I really objected to was them trashing people's property when
> they didn't get candy. They got our neighbor's car pretty good year
> before last, and we ended up with dog poop in our pool the year
> before that.

What a bunch of losers. I don't have adults ringing my doorbell without
a kid in tow. And I chat up the teens and "play" with them because I
like them, and for their goodwill - to ward off vandalism.
(snip)

> > I can only imagine the heartache of your situation and all that it
> > entailed--I'm sorry you had to endure all that. And I'm delighted and

(snip)

> Cute. Thanks for your kind words. I definitely over reacted.
> Sorry about that.

No hay problema.

> >If you don't have a camcorder and a digital camera, get one of each.

> Daddy's a computer hardware engineer and designs video chips, so this
> is his forte.

Well, shoot, it doesn't get much better than that! (*^;^*)

> Sorry again for gettinmg bent out of shape.

Apology accepted.

> but then I don't believe in huge birthday parties for infants,
> publishing wish lists for gifts, and other things like that.

I'm with you on big parties for littles who know nada. But the wish
list thang. . . . I don't mind. I always hope that the recipient will
enjoy the gift I enjoyed buying/making. And getting a clue for what it
might be is very helpful. And I really like them when I'm shopping for
a kid. Without, I am clueless. <=:0)

OB Food: The Baby Ruths are gone and there's a dent in the Almond Joys.
Oy vey.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Berry Good Cider

Recipe By : Newspaper? Don't know. Posted to r.f.c by Barb
Schaller 10-8-04
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beverages

1 quart apple cider
1 quart cranberry juice cocktail
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon -- broken

Combine and heat. Makes 2 quarts.
_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

CJB

previously in rfc, Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
> being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
> older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors. I have so
> much pleasure when the tiny ones come around on Halloween, I make
> certain the parents in my building know it. Every year, a day or two
> before Halloween, a large sheet of paper is displayed in each of the
> three parts of our high rise building. It is on the tables in the
> three mailbox alcoves and only the people who want Trick and Trickers
> to come, fill in their names, apartment numbers and the time it will
> be convenient for them to give out treats.

I used to love trick or treating with my kids in the city (they're teens
now - so it's been a few years). We live in a small building; nobody
knocks on our door, there aren't any other kids here, but every year we'd
either go down to my parents' apartment and trick or treat at the
apartments on the sign-up sheet, or we'd trick or treat with a friend in
his or her big building.

I also love seeing the tiniest ones in their costumes. Who cares if the
mother eats the candy! Heh. I may be biased as I've spent years eating my
kids Halloween and Christmas candy.

> I am so eager to see the the little ones, I always write "treats for
> infants and babies" and I prepare little rattles or board books or
> other stuff I pick up inexpensively during the year. There are so
> many born since last Halloween, at times I run out of those treats,
> but the parents don't care and the babies are too young to know that
> they did not get anything. As it is, the parents get freshly baked
> chocolate chip cookies.
>
> I love Halloween.

In my neighborhood (York Avenue) the stores all have candy ready for the
kids as well. Especially the mom and pop's - the video store, the deli,
the tiny pet store...

Lots of fun, and very few tricks, really. Mostly treats.

-Claudia

Margaret Suran

CJB wrote:

> In my neighborhood (York Avenue) the stores all have candy ready for the
> kids as well. Especially the mom and pop's - the video store, the deli,
> the tiny pet store...
>
> Lots of fun, and very few tricks, really. Mostly treats.
>
> -Claudia

Claudia, Do you live on York Avenue in NYC? Where? I live in the
70's right off First Avenue. We are most likely neighbors. )

CJB

wrote:

> CJB wrote:
>
>> In my neighborhood (York Avenue) the stores all have candy ready for
>> the kids as well. Especially the mom and pop's - the video store,
>> the deli, the tiny pet store...
>>
>> Lots of fun, and very few tricks, really. Mostly treats.
>>
>> -Claudia
>>

> Claudia, Do you live on York Avenue in NYC? Where? I live in the
> 70's right off First Avenue. We are most likely neighbors. )

I do! I live right off York on 75th. I've been in this neighborhood
forever!
-L. :

Margaret Suran > wrote in message >...

> Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
> being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
> older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors. I have so
> much pleasure when the tiny ones come around on Halloween, I make
> certain the parents in my building know it. Every year, a day or two
> before Halloween, a large sheet of paper is displayed in each of the
> three parts of our high rise building. It is on the tables in the
> three mailbox alcoves and only the people who want Trick and Trickers
> to come, fill in their names, apartment numbers and the time it will
> be convenient for them to give out treats.

That's nice - that way the TOTers aren't disturbing people who don't
want to be disturbed.

> I am so eager to see the the little ones, I always write "treats for
> infants and babies" and I prepare little rattles or board books or
> other stuff I pick up inexpensively during the year. There are so
> many born since last Halloween, at times I run out of those treats,
> but the parents don't care and the babies are too young to know that
> they did not get anything. As it is, the parents get freshly baked
> chocolate chip cookies.
>
> I love Halloween.

I do too. We have a couple of "older" friends we will visit on
Halloween - they love seeing him even when it isn't a Holiday.

-L.
Margaret Suran

Claudia, the back entrance of the building in which I live is on 75th
Street! You live about one block away from where I do.

So, are you going to come and say "hello" on November 6th, when
Barbara Schaller and Dog3 are having an Open House Brunch in my
apartment? You can come and go as you please, have something to eat
and drink and stay or leave, but do come and meet everybody. The
guest list is not complete yet, but you will meet several people you
already know from their posts, Jack, Sue, Stan, Boron, Maxine in R.I.
and several more.

Do you live in the same block where The Red Tulip Hungarian restaurant
used to be? It had gypsy music, but the food was not as good as other
Hungarian and Czech places that abounded here thirty or forty years
ago. Now that they closed, I miss them.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
> being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
> older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors.

Sure. The little ones are cute. But I want them walking to my door
under their own power, not carried because they're 8 months old.
Color me Cranky. :-)

> I am so eager to see the the little ones, I always write "treats for
> infants and babies" and I prepare little rattles or board books or
> other stuff I pick up inexpensively during the year.

So when are you going to come to Minnesota and meet the BRG in person?
Eh?

>There are so many born since last Halloween, at times I run out of
>those treats, but the parents don't care and the babies are too young
>to know that they did not get anything. As it is, the parents get
>freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

You surprise me, Margaret. At least you could offer them a glass of red
wine. I mean, you've got cases of it stashed under the bed. . . . <g>

> I love Halloween.

And the world loves you, Kid.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, CJB >
wrote:

> previously in rfc, Margaret Suran >
> wrote:
>

> > CJB wrote:
> >
> >> In my neighborhood (York Avenue) the stores all have candy ready for
> >> the kids as well. Especially the mom and pop's - the video store,
> >> the deli, the tiny pet store...
> >>
> >> Lots of fun, and very few tricks, really. Mostly treats.
> >>
> >> -Claudia
> >>

> > Claudia, Do you live on York Avenue in NYC? Where? I live in the
> > 70's right off First Avenue. We are most likely neighbors. )
> >

> I do! I live right off York on 75th. I've been in this neighborhood
> forever!

So, are you coming to Margaret's brunch on Saturday, November 6? The
food's terrific and the company's not bad. Margaret's address is
munged. Email her as msuran at emm eye emm eff dot com. Please come,
Claudia. We'd love to meet you.
-Barb
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

CJB

previously in rfc, Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Claudia, the back entrance of the building in which I live is on 75th
> Street! You live about one block away from where I do.
>
> So, are you going to come and say "hello" on November 6th, when
> Barbara Schaller and Dog3 are having an Open House Brunch in my
> apartment? You can come and go as you please, have something to eat
> and drink and stay or leave, but do come and meet everybody. The
> guest list is not complete yet, but you will meet several people you
> already know from their posts, Jack, Sue, Stan, Boron, Maxine in R.I.
> and several more.
>
> Do you live in the same block where The Red Tulip Hungarian restaurant
> used to be? It had gypsy music, but the food was not as good as other
> Hungarian and Czech places that abounded here thirty or forty years
> ago. Now that they closed, I miss them.

I'd love to stop by. Are you the starbucks building? What can I bring?

I live east of York, on the block with the French School and Con Ed. We've
been here for about 13 years, and before this we were on 76th street
between first and york, next to what used to be a Sotheby's annex or
warehouse, but which is now the high school.

The Red Tulip! Bingo. I've been trying to remember what used to be in the
spot where that hairdresser/art gallery opened up. We were just saying how
when new things open up, it's almost immediate that we forget what used to
be there! Heh.

-Claudia
CJB

previously in rfc, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>> I do! I live right off York on 75th. I've been in this neighborhood
>> forever!

> So, are you coming to Margaret's brunch on Saturday, November 6? The
> food's terrific and the company's not bad. Margaret's address is
> munged. Email her as msuran at emm eye emm eff dot com. Please come,
> Claudia. We'd love to meet you.
> -Barb

I will, thanks! Emailing now.

-Claudia

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, CJB >
wrote:

> previously in rfc, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> >> I do! I live right off York on 75th. I've been in this neighborhood
> >> forever!

> > So, are you coming to Margaret's brunch on Saturday, November 6? The
> > food's terrific and the company's not bad. Margaret's address is
> > munged. Email her as msuran at emm eye emm eff dot com. Please come,
> > Claudia. We'd love to meet you.
> > -Barb

> I will, thanks! Emailing now.
>
> -Claudia

Yeay!! It's gonna be The Place To Be on November 6. Margaret just sent
menu ideas. You'll never have seen peanut butter served so many ways.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-04-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Frogleg

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:48:49 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
>being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
>older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors.

I think many people view the T-or-T process as a 'gimme' that is
properly restricted to young children. While you may enjoy seeing the
tots and babies in costume, others have the experience of uncostumed
groups of total strangers, including babies and young adults, with
hands and bags out.

I'm sure this ritual has many different flavors in different areas.
When I Was a Kid (the golden age), groups of costumed elementary
school aged children walked, unaccompanied by adults, around their own
suburban neighborhoods. Without, AFAIK, municiple regulation, one's
first trek was as a (costumed) pre-schooler visiting immediate
neighbors with an older sibling or friend, and the last was the year
of 6th grade. In Jr. High school, one viewed this as an activity for
the younger, less sophisticated set.

The method your building has worked out seems like a good one,
particularly since you can indicate your interest in the very young
set.
Frogleg

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:48:49 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
>being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
>older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors.

I think many people view the T-or-T process as a 'gimme' that is
properly restricted to young children. While you may enjoy seeing the
tots and babies in costume, others have the experience of uncostumed
groups of total strangers, including babies and young adults, with
hands and bags out.

I'm sure this ritual has many different flavors in different areas.
When I Was a Kid (the golden age), groups of costumed elementary
school aged children walked, unaccompanied by adults, around their own
suburban neighborhoods. Without, AFAIK, municiple regulation, one's
first trek was as a (costumed) pre-schooler visiting immediate
neighbors with an older sibling or friend, and the last was the year
of 6th grade. In Jr. High school, one viewed this as an activity for
the younger, less sophisticated set.

The method your building has worked out seems like a good one,
particularly since you can indicate your interest in the very young
set.
Frogleg

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:48:49 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
>being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
>older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors.

I think many people view the T-or-T process as a 'gimme' that is
properly restricted to young children. While you may enjoy seeing the
tots and babies in costume, others have the experience of uncostumed
groups of total strangers, including babies and young adults, with
hands and bags out.

I'm sure this ritual has many different flavors in different areas.
When I Was a Kid (the golden age), groups of costumed elementary
school aged children walked, unaccompanied by adults, around their own
suburban neighborhoods. Without, AFAIK, municiple regulation, one's
first trek was as a (costumed) pre-schooler visiting immediate
neighbors with an older sibling or friend, and the last was the year
of 6th grade. In Jr. High school, one viewed this as an activity for
the younger, less sophisticated set.

The method your building has worked out seems like a good one,
particularly since you can indicate your interest in the very young
set.
sf

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:55:33 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:

> I think many people view the T-or-T process as a 'gimme' that is
> properly restricted to young children. While you may enjoy seeing the
> tots and babies in costume, others have the experience of uncostumed
> groups of total strangers, including babies and young adults, with
> hands and bags out.

Don't you get them in waves? Costumes come first, then
later (8 or 9 o'clock depending on whether tomorrow is a
school day or not) the Jr. High schoolers in everyday
clothes and huge bags start their rounds.

sf
Leila A.

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:48:49 -0400, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>
> >Nobody has addressed the most important facet of infants and babies
> >being dressed up and visiting along with the older kids: The joy the
> >older people derive from seeing their new little neighbors.
> >

> I'm sure this ritual has many different flavors in different areas.
> When I Was a Kid ....

last was the year
> of 6th grade. In Jr. High school, one viewed this as an activity for
> the younger, less sophisticated set.

I was a kid in the 70s, and I know I went trick or treating in 7th and
grade with one of my school friends. Don't remember if we all gave it
up for 8th grade or what.

I love the civics quiz, I'm going to try it. But I live near some
tough Oakland blocks, and we tend to give out treats to whatever
hobgoblins as a middle class tax. When the porch light goes off, the
door knocks quit.

dressing up the teensiest ones - it was cute back in the day when
my friend made inventive costumes for her tots - put the angelic 8
month old girl in her daddy's white tee shirt, made cardboard wings
dusted with gilt. The 2 year old brother wore a red union suit and a
red knit hat, with a red homemade cape, carried a homemade (cardboard)
pitchfork. All the Hispanic neighbors in our Brooklyn block shrieked
with laughter and surprise. this was in the 1980s. Nowadays, people
spend $40 and more on elaborate purchased costumes their tots will
wear once. Yes they're darling and make great photos, but I cannot
understand the expense. I just couldn't deal with it when my kids were
little. We usually found reasons to bow out of trick or treating with
them, although I put on my Arab robes and all of my necklaces and gave
out candy as a sort of gypsy. Last year we did go up the block with my
tots in homemade costumes that were a bit too low key. Nobody "got"
that older boy was "The Man With the Yellow Hat" from Curious George.
We're determined to do better this year.

This year my kids are finally old enough to "get it", to talk about
what costumes they want, and really appreciate dressing up. THe older
one wants to be a lion and the younger one wants to be a chimney sweep
(from Mary Poppins). We are fashioning costumes out of this and that,
with some cute purchased masks. So far I've spent $3. I don't intend
to do any sewing or even gluing, either.

OB FOOD: Laurie Colwin in More Home Cooking talks about Halloween
night supper rituals. Hers was meat loaf, baked butternut squash, and
Wensley Cake. (other things too that I've forgotten). I'm going to do
the meatloaf and the squash, probably a green salad, and bake some
sort of spicy cake in my crazy Montezuma Bundt pan. Drizzle it with
white glaze for a spider web effect, if I can manage it. (My icing
skills are negligible). Fanny Farmer is the most likely source for a
cake recipe - Apple sauce cake, or gingerbread, or some other old
fashioned cake with cinnamon, ginger, and maybe raisins or other dried
fruits.

Leila
Leila A.

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> [...]

one wants to be a lion and the younger one wants to be a chimney sweep
(from Mary Poppins). We are fashioning costumes out of this and that,
with some cute purchased masks. So far I've spent $3. I don't intend
to do any sewing or even gluing, either.

OB FOOD: Laurie Colwin in More Home Cooking talks about Halloween
night supper rituals. Hers was meat loaf, baked butternut squash, and
Wensley Cake. (other things too that I've forgotten). I'm going to do
the meatloaf and the squash, probably a green salad, and bake some
sort of spicy cake in my crazy Montezuma Bundt pan. Drizzle it with
white glaze for a spider web effect, if I can manage it. (My icing
skills are negligible). Fanny Farmer is the most likely source for a
cake recipe - Apple sauce cake, or gingerbread, or some other old
fashioned cake with cinnamon, ginger, and maybe raisins or other dried

Leila A.

Tara > wrote in message >. ..
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:11:35 GMT, baker > wrote:
> >It's amazing what a difference a half century can make. Back in the mid-
> >fifties, before razor blades or needles or poison in apples and candy,
> >many houses offered trick or treaters fruit or homemade confections. My
> >mother used to make caramel apples rolled in nuts, or popcorn balls, or
> >bags of caramel corn. Neighbors used to offer homemade fudge and
> >homemade taffy. One elderly lady, who lived far down the street, used to
> >decorate her basement like a witch's shack and wear a witch costume. She
> >would invite several kids in at a time to bob for apples, and served us
> >witch's punch and cookies. In our neighborhood we were encouraged to
> >"perform" to win a treat, recite a short verse or sing a halloween song.
> >We went up and down the street on our own, just after dark, no fear from
> >possible molesters or the like, just goblins. Our costumes were usually
> >homemade, too, and often quite elaborate. Masks were often the only
> >purchased item we wore. Halloween was a lot of fun!

> Not even a half century. This was my Halloween experience, too, in
> the mid seventies to early eighties. The Tylenol scare changed all
> that in my neighborhood and school.
>
> Tara

The Tylenol scare, like the stranger abduction scare, is a case of
hysteria causing a whole culture to change. As in your experience with
the parents who wouldn't accept home made treats from friends,
people's hysterical fears have caused them to respond in ways that are
irrational. The odds of razor blades or drugs etc. are small, much
smaller than the odds of getting hit by a car while crossing the
street. The odds of a kid getting abducted on the way to school are
also quite small, but now no middle class kid walks farther than a
couple of blocks to school anymore. Parents feel they have to drive.
(And suburban walking has gotten unsafe, because of few sidewalks,
enormous highways, aggressive drivers, not necessarily evil
abductors). Meanwhile kids get more and more obese and unfit, and
everybody wrings their hands. It was those milk cartons in the 80s,
with the missing kids. People began to believe they were more unsafe
than they really are.

Although we live in Oakland, California, with its tough reputation, we
know all our neighbors and feel very comfortable here. If one of them
gave us a homemade treat we would definitely eat it. But I won't
bother giving them out - the large part of kids who come to our door
are from surrounding blocks, and we usually don't know them. We'll do
purchased candy like everybody else.

Leila