FoodBanter.com

-   -   Food poisoning (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/3760-food-poisoning.html)

Dennis G. 23-01-2004 06:55 PM

Food poisoning

I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.

Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?

Dennis

hw 23-01-2004 07:11 PM

Food poisoning

no....it's about the right timeline...6 - 8 hours...

Frank Mancuso 23-01-2004 07:18 PM

Food poisoning

Dennis G. wrote:
> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>
> Dennis

That's about right-sometimes even sooner!

PENMART01 23-01-2004 07:41 PM

Food poisoning

>Dennis G.
>
>I had meatloaf at a restaurant.

Hmmm, mystery meat loaf... from a restaurant no less... you're lucky to be
alive.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown 23-01-2004 09:38 PM

Food poisoning

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Dennis G.
>>
>> I had meatloaf at a restaurant.

> Hmmm, mystery meat loaf... from a restaurant no less... you're lucky
> to be alive.

Silly, it depends on the restaurant. :) Denny's I would not trust. A Mom
& Pop shop, yes, I sure would.

Dave Smith 23-01-2004 09:50 PM

Food poisoning

"Dennis G." wrote:

> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?

It fits right into the 6-8 hour slot that is typical of food poisoning. I got a
dose of it once after eating a chilidog in the restaurant of a department store
where I worked part time. It hit me about 6 hours later. I started filling ill as
I was leaving. I barely made it to the house, ran down the hall and puked my guts
out. I was there for the next five hours, heaving and retching until I thought my
guts were turning inside out. That was more than 30 years ago and I haven't eaten
a chilidog since, or any other kind of mystery meat in restaurants. It also made
me very wary of leftovers, which pleases my dogs greatly.

Kate ...... 23-01-2004 10:03 PM

Food poisoning

jmcquown wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
> >> Dennis G.
> >>
> >> I had meatloaf at a restaurant.

> > Hmmm, mystery meat loaf... from a restaurant no less... you're lucky
> > to be alive.
> >

> Silly, it depends on the restaurant. :) Denny's I would not trust. A Mom
> & Pop shop, yes, I sure would.

I know one thing , I will never eat another bite at Denny's to my dying day. I
got a case of food poisoning after eating a turkey sandwich / mashed potato
meals. ( gravy over all ) I thought I'd die and kinda hoped I would. I sure
do feel sorry for what you are going through. Hug , Kate

Puester 23-01-2004 10:29 PM

Food poisoning

"Dennis G." wrote:

> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>
> Dennis

Not necessarily, but there's also a strain of
"GI flu" going around that mimics fod poisoning.

gloria p

Gregory Toomey 24-01-2004 12:28 AM

Food poisoning

Dennis G. wrote:

> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I
> started violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>
> Dennis

Similar timing that I had after eeating a "fresh pasta" dish at a
restaurant.

I ended up having to go to hospital & was seeing doctors for six months. So
take food poisioning seriously.

gtoomey

Dennis G. 24-01-2004 07:21 AM

Food poisoning

Dennis G. > wrote:

>I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
>violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
>Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>
>Dennis

Thanks for all the replies.
30 hours since I ate anything and counting.
Doc says to flush it with water, 7-up.
I am feeling much, much, much better, but not at all hungry.

Dennis

jmcquown 24-01-2004 10:39 AM

Food poisoning

Dennis G. wrote:
> Dennis G. > wrote:
>
>> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am,
>> I started violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>>
>> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>>
>> Dennis

> Thanks for all the replies.
> 30 hours since I ate anything and counting.
> Doc says to flush it with water, 7-up.
> I am feeling much, much, much better, but not at all hungry.
>
> Dennis

It's the poor-man's answer to a quick fad diet. You'll lose about 5 lbs.
Glad you're feeling better!

Jill

Frogleg 24-01-2004 11:34 AM

Food poisoning

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:55:59 GMT, Dennis G. > wrote:

>I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
>violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
>Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?

One problem with "food poisoning" is that unless there's a rather
large number of people sickened by the same substance (green onions at
Chi-Chi's), and they require hospital treatment and diagnostic tests,
it's difficult to determine the cause.

This site:

http://www.vdacs.state.va.us/foodsafety/poisoning.html

conveniently includes the onset time of various foodbourne illnesses.

Arri London 25-01-2004 01:31 AM

Food poisoning

jmcquown wrote:

> Dennis G. wrote:
> > Dennis G. > wrote:
> >
> >> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am,
> >> I started violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
> >>
> >> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
> >>
> >> Dennis

> > Thanks for all the replies.
> > 30 hours since I ate anything and counting.
> > Doc says to flush it with water, 7-up.
> > I am feeling much, much, much better, but not at all hungry.
> >
> > Dennis

> It's the poor-man's answer to a quick fad diet. You'll lose about 5 lbs.
> Glad you're feeling better!
>
> Jill

If not more than that. Last time I had food poisoning (from mussels),
took six weeks to get back to a normal diet. Lost about 20 lbs by that
point.

Richard Periut 25-01-2004 02:11 AM

Food poisoning

Frank Mancuso wrote:
> Dennis G. wrote:
>
>> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I
>> started
>> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>>
>> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>> Dennis

> That's about right-sometimes even sooner!

It all depends on the syndrome involved. Pre formed staph poison can
start producing symptoms in an hour or two. Shigella and other bacteria,
have to grow and invade to produce disease. Shellfish poisoning can
start in less than an hour.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

jmcquown 25-01-2004 08:39 PM

Food poisoning

Kate ...... wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Hmmm, mystery meat loaf... from a restaurant no less... you're lucky
>>> to be alive.
>>>

>> Silly, it depends on the restaurant. :) Denny's I would not trust.
>> A Mom & Pop shop, yes, I sure would.

> I know one thing , I will never eat another bite at Denny's to my
> dying day. I got a case of food poisoning after eating a turkey
> sandwich / mashed potato meals. ( gravy over all ) I thought I'd die
> and kinda hoped I would. I sure do feel sorry for what you are going
> through. Hug , Kate

I've never actually eaten at a Denny's. We tried. I've read all sorts of
things about descrimination lawsuits being filed against them. We
experienced reverse descrimination while trying to have breakfast there
once. We were seated and given menus. A table of 6 were seated after us,
got their drinks then their food. We'd sat there for 30 minutes with only
water after about 15 minutes some coffee. The waiter was very apologetic,
but at 30 minutes Ray got disgusted. He tossed $5 on the table for the
waiter and we got up to leave. At that point the manager came rushing over,
is something wrong? Yeah, something is wrong. We're the wrong color.
(sigh)

Jill

Kate ...... 26-01-2004 12:57 AM

Food poisoning

jmcquown wrote:

> Kate ...... wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Silly, it depends on the restaurant. :) Denny's I would not trust.
> >> A Mom & Pop shop, yes, I sure would.

> > I know one thing , I will never eat another bite at Denny's to my
> > dying day. I got a case of food poisoning after eating a turkey
> > sandwich / mashed potato meals. ( gravy over all ) I thought I'd die
> > and kinda hoped I would. I sure do feel sorry for what you are going
> > through. Hug , Kate

> I've never actually eaten at a Denny's. We tried. I've read all sorts of
> things about descrimination lawsuits being filed against them. We
> experienced reverse descrimination while trying to have breakfast there
> once. We were seated and given menus. A table of 6 were seated after us,
> got their drinks then their food. We'd sat there for 30 minutes with only
> water after about 15 minutes some coffee. The waiter was very apologetic,
> but at 30 minutes Ray got disgusted. He tossed $5 on the table for the
> waiter and we got up to leave. At that point the manager came rushing over,
> is something wrong? Yeah, something is wrong. We're the wrong color.
> (sigh)
>
> Jill

Idiots are everywhere. All we can do is to look over them. Hard as it is . I
have heard stories of that happening to people but never personally known them
nor witnessed the stupidity. I'd love to have been a part of your group. I
don't think I could have just walked out. As I said, before though, I can
promise you I will never be inside one of their places again.

Saerah 26-01-2004 03:17 AM

Food poisoning

jmcquown wrote in message ...
We
>experienced reverse descrimination while trying to have breakfast there
>once.

what does reverse discrimination mean? that you werent discriminated
against?

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

The Renegade Chef 28-01-2004 03:12 AM

Food poisoning

In the state of California an outbreak is defined as two or more people
becoming ill after eating the same food. All outbreaks of foodborne
illnesses are investigated and suspected restaurants are shut down.

-L. 28-01-2004 06:10 AM

Food poisoning

Dennis G. > wrote in message >. ..
> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I started
> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>
> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>
> Dennis

It can happen any time. We have had it happen as soon as about an
hour after eating, to as much as 8-12 hours after eating. It depends
on your system and the organism.

It sucks - I feel for ya,
-L.

Frogleg 28-01-2004 12:08 PM

Food poisoning

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:12:51 GMT, The Renegade Chef >
wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:

>>One problem with "food poisoning" is that unless there's a rather
>>large number of people sickened by the same substance (green onions at
>>Chi-Chi's), and they require hospital treatment and diagnostic tests,
>>it's difficult to determine the cause.
>>

>In the state of California an outbreak is defined as two or more people
>becoming ill after eating the same food. All outbreaks of foodborne
>illnesses are investigated and suspected restaurants are shut down.

I stand by my post. 2 or 20 people can become ill from eating in the
same restaurant (or buying the same green onions), but if they don't
require hospital treatment, there's no way to diagnose "food
poisoning" as distinct from allergy, over-eating, or any other
coincident digestive problem.

The Renegade Chef 28-01-2004 11:26 PM

Food poisoning

My sister, her husband and two children got very ill after eating in a
local restaurant. They went to see their family doctor and were
diagnosed with Shigella. They were contacted by the Dept. of Health to
find out where they had eaten in the last few days. The DofH did an
investigation, found out which restaurant it was and shut it down.
Definitely a diagnosis is required but not necessarily hospital treatment.

Frogleg 29-01-2004 11:11 AM

Food poisoning

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:26:18 GMT, The Renegade Chef >
wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:

>>I stand by my post. 2 or 20 people can become ill from eating in the
>>same restaurant (or buying the same green onions), but if they don't
>>require hospital treatment, there's no way to diagnose "food
>>poisoning" as distinct from allergy, over-eating, or any other
>>coincident digestive problem.

>My sister, her husband and two children got very ill after eating in a
>local restaurant. They went to see their family doctor and were
>diagnosed with Shigella. They were contacted by the Dept. of Health to
>find out where they had eaten in the last few days. The DofH did an
>investigation, found out which restaurant it was and shut it down.
>Definitely a diagnosis is required but not necessarily hospital treatment.

Oh, jeez. I ammend "require hospital treatment" to "seek the care of
one or more licensed medical professionals able to diagnose the
various forms of foodborne illness and required to report same to
public health authorities." It is thought that there are far *more*
cases of foodborne illness than are ever reported (or wind up as
documented "outbreaks"). My point was that spending a day in the
bathroom can rarely be ascribed to "food poisoning" without
professional diagnosis.

The Renegade Chef 30-01-2004 02:08 AM

Food poisoning

Frogleg wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:26:18 GMT, The Renegade Chef >
>wrote:
>

>>Frogleg wrote:
>>

>>>I stand by my post. 2 or 20 people can become ill from eating in the
>>>same restaurant (or buying the same green onions), but if they don't
>>>require hospital treatment, there's no way to diagnose "food
>>>poisoning" as distinct from allergy, over-eating, or any other
>>>coincident digestive problem.
>>>

>>My sister, her husband and two children got very ill after eating in a
>>local restaurant. They went to see their family doctor and were
>>diagnosed with Shigella. They were contacted by the Dept. of Health to
>>find out where they had eaten in the last few days. The DofH did an
>>investigation, found out which restaurant it was and shut it down.
>>Definitely a diagnosis is required but not necessarily hospital treatment.
>>

>Oh, jeez. I ammend "require hospital treatment" to "seek the care of
>one or more licensed medical professionals able to diagnose the
>various forms of foodborne illness and required to report same to
>public health authorities." It is thought that there are far *more*
>cases of foodborne illness than are ever reported (or wind up as
>documented "outbreaks"). My point was that spending a day in the
>bathroom can rarely be ascribed to "food poisoning" without
>professional diagnosis.

And well it *shouldn't* be. Otherwise, every "allergy, over-eating, or
any other coincident digestive problem" would be blamed on food
poisoning. When the need is real, the authorities *will* act.

NJ 21-01-2005 04:27 PM

hw 22-01-2005 05:26 PM

"NJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dennis G. wrote:
>> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I

> started
>> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>>
>> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>>
>> Dennis

no, that's about the right time frame. 6-8 hours for the stuff to work its
way thru your system. I've had that happen. If you're not feeling better
by now, you might want to consider a visit to the local ER, providing it's
not snowing too badly in your area.

Harriet
MBA 2005

Dave Smith 22-01-2005 05:35 PM

hw wrote:

> >> I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I

> > started
> >> violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
> >>
> >> Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
> >>
> >> Dennis

> no, that's about the right time frame. 6-8 hours for the stuff to work its
> way thru your system. I've had that happen. If you're not feeling better
> by now, you might want to consider a visit to the local ER, providing it's
> not snowing too badly in your area.

the time frame sounds about right, but being controllable doesn't. The one time
I had a good dose of food poisoning it hit me about 4 1/2 hours after eating. I
suddenly started feeling really rotten. Luckily it was neat the end of my shift
where I was working and only 10 minutes from home. I got home and barely made
it to the washroom where I proceeded to puke my guts out, expelled all food
from my system, expelled any water I drank after puking, and then retched and
retched for more than 5 hours. I don't ever want to go through that again.

I would never have made it to the hospital without puking all over the car, and
sure wouldn't want to be sitting in the waiting room. It would be worse for
anyone else in there :-)

Puester 22-01-2005 05:53 PM

hw wrote:
> "NJ" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Dennis G. wrote:
>>
>>>I had meatloaf at a restaurant yesterday about 5 pm. About 1:30am, I

>>started
>>
>>>violent contractions whic have reduced to controllable.
>>>
>>>Is 5 to 1:30 too short for the meatloaf to be the source ?
>>>
>>>Dennis

> no, that's about the right time frame. 6-8 hours for the stuff to work its
> way thru your system. I've had that happen. If you're not feeling better
> by now, you might want to consider a visit to the local ER, providing it's
> not snowing too badly in your area.
>
> Harriet
> MBA 2005

And inform both the restaurant manager and the health department.

gloria p

Aida Lott 23-01-2005 02:09 AM

I hope you reported your illness to the restaurant...both on phone and
in writing.