Old 05-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Ninip

Default homemade pumpkin pie help please

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:27 PM
zxcvbob

Old 05-10-2004, 04:31 PM
zxcvbob

Ninip wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about the attachment in my previous post. I thought Thunderbird
would inline a text attachment:

Pumpkin Pie
(from Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts)

1 extra deep 9" pie shell
1 3/4 cups light cream
3 eggs, large or extra large
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 pound (2 cups) canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Adjust rack one-third up from bottom of oven and preheat to 450. Have
prepared unbaked crust in the freezer. It must be frozen at least 20 or
30 minutes. Scald cream (or 1 C heavy cream and 3/4 C milk) in a small
saucepan. [I used 1 3/4 C half-n-half and 1/3 C powdered milk]
Meanwhile, in large bowl beat the eggs lightly. Beat in the vanilla,
sugar, salt, spices. [I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon in place of nutmeg] Then
add pumpkin and mix well. Gradually stir in the hot cream. Pour filling
into frozen crust and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Turn down oven
to 350 and bake another 30 or 40 minutes, until a small sharp knife
inserted in middle of pie comes out clean. Do not test more than
necessary because each cut will leave a scar which will get bigger as
the pie cools. Place on a rack to cool. Serve while still barely warm
or at room temperature.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 05-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Jean B.

Ninip wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

Here is my favorite recipe for a NORMAL pumpkin pie. (I usually
prefer pumpkin chiffon pie, but I don't know that that qualifies
here.) Gene Burns was a talk radio personality in Boston for
years before he defected. (I still miss him!)

Gene Burns' Dark and Spicy Pumpkin Pie

Filling:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (I use 1 can, now 15 oz, I think)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (dark grade!!!!)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (I actually prefer the store-bought
version for this, specifically, McCormick)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)

1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 450F.

Beat eggs slightly. Combine with all other ingredients for the
filling. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 450F for 10
minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350F and bake an additional 30-35
minutes or until a knife inserted midway between the center and
the edge of the pie comes out clean. Cool.

Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

--
Jean B.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Steve Calvin

Jean B. wrote:
Ninip wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
At least I think so.

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

Old 05-10-2004, 05:26 PM
MOMPEAGRAM

"Ninip" wrote in message
news:WWy8d.218465$%[email protected]
Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

* Exported from BigOven *

Helen's Browned Pumpkin

Recipe By :
Serving Size :2
Cuisine :
Main Ingred. :
Categories :Pies Peagram

-------- ------------- --------------------------------
1 sm Pumpkin

Bake the pumpkin till tender in the oven at 350. butter a heavy cast
iron frying pan and cooking the pumpkin over medium heat, stirring and
turning so all parts dry properly. Keep this up til it is reduced and
slightly browned. I start with 2 cups and end up with 1 1/2 cups of
wonderful nutty browned pumpkin. If recipe calls for a little more than 1
1/2 cups just start with 1/2 cup more than called for and follow the above
instructions.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 15 Calories; trace Fat (2.8% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch).Nutr. Assoc. : 0

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven for Windows. **
** Easy Windows recipe software. Try it free at www.bigoven.com. **

* Exported from BigOven *

Helen's Pumpkin Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size :2
Cuisine :
Main Ingred. :
Categories :Pies Peagram

-------- ------------- --------------------------------
1/2 c Browned --strained pumpkin
2 tb All purpose flour
1 c Brown sugar
2 c Milk
1 c Cream *
1 t Cinnamon
1/2 ts Ginger
1/2 ts Nutmeg
2 Eggs --beaten
-CRUST-
1 Pie dough for 2 pies
2 tb Sugar
1 tb Flour
1 pn Spice

* Recipe calls for heavy cream if possible, 2% canned milk could be sub.
Place the browned pumpkin in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the flour and
brown sugar and stir til thoroughly mixed. Add the eggs, cinnamon, ginger
and nutmeg. Mix well. Add the milk. Beat together til well mixed.
Line pie plates with dough, well built up around edges. Mix together the
2 tbsp sugar the remaining tbsp of flour and the pinch of spice.
Sprinkle over bottom pie crusts, spreading all over with tips of fingers.
This prevents sogginess. Fill shell 3/4 full. Place strips of foil
around edge and place in a preheated 450 oven. Bake for 15 minutes and
reduce the heat to 325. Bake 30 minutes longer. Pie is done when the
mixture shakes just in the middle when moved back and forth. Serve hot or
cold.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1438 Calories; 9g Fat (5.6% calories
from fat); 15g Protein; 333g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 33mg
Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Non-Fat Milk;
1 1/2 Fat; 18 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Old 05-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Scott

Steve Calvin wrote:

Jean B. wrote:
Ninip wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
At least I think so.

Um, what's the site?

please mail OT responses only

Old 05-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
At least I think so.

Um, what's the site?

oops.... I forgot to paste it in, sorry. blush
http://www.camellia.org/kitchen/basi...pkin-prep.html

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:25 PM
The Joneses

Ninip wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

I dunno about old fashioned but I put in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of almond
extract. Not so much that you really taste it, but enuf so people say
"there's something special here." A couple tablespoons of brandy, ditto.
I've had to go lo-cal, lo-carb, lo-fat, no-sugar after tummy surgery so
lately I've been making a standard recipe, substituting Splenda 1:3 for
the sugar, using lo fat evap milk and egg substitute, then baking in
custard cups with no crust. Using the substitutes "lightens up" the
custard, it bakes quicker. If a miserly slice is1/8th pie it counts about
470 calories. My replacing or cutting out all the good stuff makes 1/2 cup
of punkin custard about *70* calories (about the same as a small apple).
Adding the extra taste gets important.
Edrena

Old 05-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Steve Calvin said:
Scott wrote:
Steve wrote:

And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
At least I think so.

Um, what's the site?

oops.... I forgot to paste it in, sorry. blush

And blush you should -- no one else here has ever done such a
thing. ;-)

http://www.camellia.org/kitchen/basi...pkin-prep.html

That's just how my mother used to do it. And when she didn't have
pumpkin, she used Libby's canned pumpkin, which makes a great pie
too. Here is their recipe, in case the OP is interested:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=18470

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Old 05-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Goomba38

Gal Called J.J. wrote:

That's just how my mother used to do it. And when she didn't have
pumpkin, she used Libby's canned pumpkin, which makes a great pie
too.

I love Libby's canned pumpkin and recipe. My only
alteration is that I double almost all the spices
and add some mace.
Goomba

Old 05-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Dave Smith

Ninip wrote:

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

You can start by cooking a pumpkin, or you can do it the easy way and pie
canned pumpkin, which is a heck of a lot easier and not so messy. Most
cans of pumpkin have a recipe on the label. All you need is an unbaked pie
shell, a can of pumpkin, some milk, eggs, brown sugar and a bit of
cinnamon and nutmeg. For a richer pie you can use cream or condensed
milk, but regular whole milk works great. Mix the ingredients in bowl,
pour into the pie shell and stick it in the oven for about 45 minutes.