Ninip

Default homemade pumpkin pie help please

Hi everyone
Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
dinner. Thanks in advance.

zxcvbob

Ninip wrote:
> Hi everyone Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie
> recipe (no creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family
> Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks in advance.

zxcvbob

Ninip wrote:

> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about the attachment in my previous post. I thought Thunderbird
would inline a text attachment:

Pumpkin Pie
(from Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts)

1 extra deep 9" pie shell
1 3/4 cups light cream
3 eggs, large or extra large
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 pound (2 cups) canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Adjust rack one-third up from bottom of oven and preheat to 450. Have
prepared unbaked crust in the freezer. It must be frozen at least 20 or
30 minutes. Scald cream (or 1 C heavy cream and 3/4 C milk) in a small
saucepan. [I used 1 3/4 C half-n-half and 1/3 C powdered milk]
Meanwhile, in large bowl beat the eggs lightly. Beat in the vanilla,
sugar, salt, spices. [I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon in place of nutmeg] Then
add pumpkin and mix well. Gradually stir in the hot cream. Pour filling
into frozen crust and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Turn down oven
to 350 and bake another 30 or 40 minutes, until a small sharp knife
inserted in middle of pie comes out clean. Do not test more than
necessary because each cut will leave a scar which will get bigger as
the pie cools. Place on a rack to cool. Serve while still barely warm
or at room temperature.

Best regards,
Bob
Jean B.

Ninip wrote:

> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

Here is my favorite recipe for a NORMAL pumpkin pie. (I usually
prefer pumpkin chiffon pie, but I don't know that that qualifies
here.) Gene Burns was a talk radio personality in Boston for
years before he defected. (I still miss him!)

Gene Burns' Dark and Spicy Pumpkin Pie

Filling:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (I use 1 can, now 15 oz, I think)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (dark grade!!!!)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (I actually prefer the store-bought
version for this, specifically, McCormick)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)

1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 450F.

Beat eggs slightly. Combine with all other ingredients for the
filling. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 450F for 10
minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350F and bake an additional 30-35
minutes or until a knife inserted midway between the center and
the edge of the pie comes out clean. Cool.

Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Ninip wrote:

> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

Here is my favorite recipe for a NORMAL pumpkin pie. (I usually
prefer pumpkin chiffon pie, but I don't know that that qualifies
here.) Gene Burns was a talk radio personality in Boston for
years before he defected. (I still miss him!)

Gene Burns' Dark and Spicy Pumpkin Pie

Filling:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (I use 1 can, now 15 oz, I think)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (dark grade!!!!)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (I actually prefer the store-bought
version for this, specifically, McCormick)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)

1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 450F.

Beat eggs slightly. Combine with all other ingredients for the
filling. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 450F for 10
minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350F and bake an additional 30-35
minutes or until a knife inserted midway between the center and
the edge of the pie comes out clean. Cool.

Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

--
Jean B.

Steve Calvin

Jean B. wrote:
> Ninip wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
>> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
>> dinner. Thanks in advance.

And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
At least I think so.

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

Steve Calvin

Jean B. wrote:
> Ninip wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
>> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
>> dinner. Thanks in advance.

And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
At least I think so.

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

MOMPEAGRAM

"Ninip" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

* Exported from BigOven *

Helen's Browned Pumpkin

Recipe By :
Serving Size :2
Cuisine :
Main Ingred. :
Categories :Pies Peagram

-------- ------------- --------------------------------
1 sm Pumpkin

Bake the pumpkin till tender in the oven at 350. butter a heavy cast
iron frying pan and cooking the pumpkin over medium heat, stirring and
turning so all parts dry properly. Keep this up til it is reduced and
slightly browned. I start with 2 cups and end up with 1 1/2 cups of
wonderful nutty browned pumpkin. If recipe calls for a little more than 1
1/2 cups just start with 1/2 cup more than called for and follow the above
instructions.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 15 Calories; trace Fat (2.8% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch).Nutr. Assoc. : 0

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven for Windows. **
** Easy Windows recipe software. Try it free at www.bigoven.com. **

* Exported from BigOven *

Helen's Pumpkin Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size :2
Cuisine :
Main Ingred. :
Categories :Pies Peagram

-------- ------------- --------------------------------
1/2 c Browned --strained pumpkin
2 tb All purpose flour
1 c Brown sugar
2 c Milk
1 c Cream *
1 t Cinnamon
1/2 ts Ginger
1/2 ts Nutmeg
2 Eggs --beaten
-CRUST-
1 Pie dough for 2 pies
2 tb Sugar
1 tb Flour
1 pn Spice

* Recipe calls for heavy cream if possible, 2% canned milk could be sub.
Place the browned pumpkin in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the flour and
brown sugar and stir til thoroughly mixed. Add the eggs, cinnamon, ginger
and nutmeg. Mix well. Add the milk. Beat together til well mixed.
Line pie plates with dough, well built up around edges. Mix together the
2 tbsp sugar the remaining tbsp of flour and the pinch of spice.
Sprinkle over bottom pie crusts, spreading all over with tips of fingers.
This prevents sogginess. Fill shell 3/4 full. Place strips of foil
around edge and place in a preheated 450 oven. Bake for 15 minutes and
reduce the heat to 325. Bake 30 minutes longer. Pie is done when the
mixture shakes just in the middle when moved back and forth. Serve hot or
cold.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1438 Calories; 9g Fat (5.6% calories
from fat); 15g Protein; 333g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 33mg
Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Non-Fat Milk;
1 1/2 Fat; 18 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven for Windows. **
** Easy Windows recipe software. Try it free at www.bigoven.com. **

Scott

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
> > Ninip wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone
> >> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> >> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> >> dinner. Thanks in advance.
> >>

> And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
> here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
> Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
> At least I think so.

Um, what's the site?

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
> > Ninip wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone
> >> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> >> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> >> dinner. Thanks in advance.
> >>

> And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
> here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
> Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
> At least I think so.

Um, what's the site?

please mail OT responses only

Steve Calvin

Scott wrote:

>>And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
>>here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
>>Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
>>At least I think so.

> Um, what's the site?

oops.... I forgot to paste it in, sorry. <blush>
http://www.camellia.org/kitchen/basi...pkin-prep.html

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

The Joneses

Ninip wrote:

> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

I dunno about old fashioned but I put in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of almond
extract. Not so much that you really taste it, but enuf so people say
"there's something special here." A couple tablespoons of brandy, ditto.
I've had to go lo-cal, lo-carb, lo-fat, no-sugar after tummy surgery so
lately I've been making a standard recipe, substituting Splenda 1:3 for
the sugar, using lo fat evap milk and egg substitute, then baking in
custard cups with no crust. Using the substitutes "lightens up" the
custard, it bakes quicker. If a miserly slice is1/8th pie it counts about
470 calories. My replacing or cutting out all the good stuff makes 1/2 cup
of punkin custard about *70* calories (about the same as a small apple).
Adding the extra taste gets important.
Edrena

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Steve Calvin > said:
> Scott wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

> >>And if you really want to go "old fashioned" and cook your own pumpkin
> >>here's a site with reasonably good information on one way to do it.
> >>Doing it yourself gives it a more "personal" touch for the holidays.
> >>At least I think so.

> > Um, what's the site?

> oops.... I forgot to paste it in, sorry. <blush>

And blush you should -- no one else here has ever done such a
thing. ;-)

> http://www.camellia.org/kitchen/basi...pkin-prep.html

That's just how my mother used to do it. And when she didn't have
pumpkin, she used Libby's canned pumpkin, which makes a great pie
too. Here is their recipe, in case the OP is interested:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=18470

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Goomba38

Gal Called J.J. wrote:

> That's just how my mother used to do it. And when she didn't have
> pumpkin, she used Libby's canned pumpkin, which makes a great pie
> too.

I love Libby's canned pumpkin and recipe. My only
alteration is that I double almost all the spices
and add some mace.
Goomba

Dave Smith

Ninip wrote:

> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

You can start by cooking a pumpkin, or you can do it the easy way and pie
canned pumpkin, which is a heck of a lot easier and not so messy. Most
cans of pumpkin have a recipe on the label. All you need is an unbaked pie
shell, a can of pumpkin, some milk, eggs, brown sugar and a bit of
cinnamon and nutmeg. For a richer pie you can use cream or condensed
milk, but regular whole milk works great. Mix the ingredients in bowl,
pour into the pie shell and stick it in the oven for about 45 minutes.

WardNA

>Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
>creamcheese).

The one on the side of the Libby's can can hardly be beat. The one WITHOUT the
pecans.

Neil
WardNA

>sometimes the
>cooking pumpkins aren't ripe and/or are too woody

I have made successful pies from fresh pumpkin, but it wouldn't surprise me to
learn that quality is uneven. After all, the ones you find at the store in
season were bred for display, not consumption.
Steve Calvin

WardNA wrote:

>>sometimes the
>>cooking pumpkins aren't ripe and/or are too woody

> I have made successful pies from fresh pumpkin, but it wouldn't surprise me to
> learn that quality is uneven. After all, the ones you find at the store in
> season were bred for display, not consumption.

We're very lucky in this area to have quite a few local growers that
operate their own "stores" where they sell their stuff. Great veggies
around this area when they're in season.

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

Cindy hamilton

"Ninip" > wrote in message news:<WWy8d.218465$%S.147093@pd7tw2no>...
> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

I think this is James Beard's recipe, but it came to me unattributed.
It also works well with baked, mashed sweet potato. Lately I have
begun to think it should be considered a recipe for two 9" pumpkin pies.

Pumpkin Pie

Pastry for 9" pie (I have a 10" pie pan and it worked fine, except it took
forever to bake)

2 cups cooked pureed pumpkin or sweet potato
1 cup brown sugar
6 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/3 cup cognac or rum or something

Line a pie tin with pastry and place foil on top. Fill with dry beans
and bake in a 400 F oven for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and foil.

Combine the remaining ingredients and blend well. Pour into pie shell (I
had some left over, even with my 10" pan.) Bake in a 375 F oven for
30-35 minutes or until the pumpkin is set. (It took almost an hour with
my 10" pie pan.)

Nancy Dooley

"Ninip" > wrote in message news:<WWy8d.218465$%S.147093@pd7tw2no>...
> Hi everyone
> Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
> creamcheese). I want to try my hand at it for our Family Thanksgiving
> dinner. Thanks in advance.

The recipe on the back of the Libbey's Pumpkin can is the best I've
found, for a "regular" pumpkin pie. Add/decrease spice amounts to
suit your own taste.

N.
Rick & Cyndi

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >Can someone give me a good old fashioned pumpkin pie recipe (no
>>creamcheese).

> The one on the side of the Libby's can can hardly be beat. The one
> WITHOUT the
> pecans.
>
> Neil

===========

Yep. That's the one I use too; however, I do make a few changes. I reduce
the sugar and use sweetened condensed milk instead of the evaporated
(non-sweet) and the spices I use a cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & ginger.
I'm not looking at the recipe and I think it only calls for 3 of the 4
spices that I use.

I also make "Squash Custard Pie" that same way. In lieu of the pumpkin I
thaw out a 10 oz. package of 'cooked winter squash puree". AMAZING!! Due
to it's flavor and texture I've had several people confuse it for either
Pumpkin or Sweet Potato pie(s).

Woo-Hoo... it's October... time to start making pies!

Cyndi

WardNA

>the spices I use a cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & ginger.
>I'm not looking at the recipe and I think it only calls for 3 of the 4
>spices that I use.

Indeed, Libby's doesn't call for nutmeg. I think the charm of the recipe is
the way it lets cloves have their way.

Neil
Julia Altshuler

WardNA wrote:

> I have made successful pies from fresh pumpkin, but it wouldn't surprise me to
> learn that quality is uneven. After all, the ones you find at the store in
> season were bred for display, not consumption.

Around here, the pumpkins bred and sold for eating are marketed as "pie
pumpkins" while the ones destined for decoration are "jack-o-lantern
pumpkins." They're not always labeled correctly, but one can generally
tell from size and shape.

Still, as others have mentioned, canned pumpkin is best for pies. I
often think of it as the exception when I say I don't like canned
anything when fresh is available. Make sure you're getting plain canned
pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling which is not the same thing. I have
made pie from fresh pumpkin, but dealing with the excess water was a bother.

Now soup, that's different. Fresh pumpkin for curry pumpkin soup is
wonderful.

There's a funny story here. I was in college. I was making pumpkin pie
from fresh pumpkin. I had to figure out how much pumpkin I was going to
get in cups from the roundish smallish pie pumpkin I had. I believe I
needed 3 cups. I don't remember why, but I wanted to know before
splitting the pumpkin and baking it. I asked my housemate who'd had
calculus to figure it out for me. He did and told me I'd need another
pumpkin the same size to get enough pumpkin for one pie. We had no car.
I walked to the supermarket and got the extra pumpkin. I split them
both, removed the seeds, baked face them face down in the oven and
removed the cooked pumpkin. I had 8 times as much as necessary.

Someone else might have chucked the extra, but I figured the right thing
to do was to make more pies. This involved walking back to the
supermarket for more pie crust and pie filling ingredients. I forget
the details, but I think it was 3 more trips as I only realized what I
was out of in pieces. Whoops, I need more eggs; whoops, I need more
maple syrup. Like that. That's when I realized I didn't have nearly
enough pie pans. I had pie coming out of everything-- iron skillets,
brownie pans, souffle ramekins. Nor did everything fit in the oven at
once. We feasted on pumpkin pie for a week. I gave oddly shaped pies
to everyone I knew.

--Lia

Bill Reynolds

>Woo-Hoo... it's October... time to start making pies!

Seeing the use of "woo-hoo" reminded me of this......

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and chocolate covered
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO- What a ride.

Rick & Cyndi

> wrote in message
>
> : Still, as others have mentioned, canned pumpkin is best for pies. I
> : often think of it as the exception when I say I don't like canned
> : anything when fresh is available. Make sure you're getting plain canned
> : pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling which is not the same thing. I have
> : made pie from fresh pumpkin, but dealing with the excess water was a
> bother.
>

> Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard or other
> squash. So the only way to make a true pumpkin pie is to use fresh
> pumpkin. When you make a pie from canned "pumpkin", you are really
> making a squash pie (pumpkin is a squash however).
>
> I cut a pumpkin in half and clean the seeds out. Place
> cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 325 for about
> an hour. Scrape the flesh out with a spoon. Puree the flesh in a
> blender or food processor until smooth. The puree can also be frozen
> and used at a later date. The consistency of pies made this way is
> far superior to the heavy, pasty-consistency pies made from canned
> "pumpkin". No need to remove excess water.
>===========

Excuse me? "Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard
or other squash." ?!! Where did you get your information from Bob?

Although I can not swear for other companies I can guarantee that Libby's
(Nestle') IS REAL PUMPKIN! I used to live 9 miles away from the pumpkin
processing plant in Morton, Illinois. Several of the fields (pumpkin
patches) where the pumpkins are grown were also near me. When I was still
an OTR driver in the early 90s I used to take truckloads of empty cans to
the plant to be filled and later pulled those same cans, filled, and took
them to Nestle distribution centers. I have toured their facilities and
have watched the trucks bringing in the pumpkins - straight from the fields.
I had considered hauling pumpkin on the side... but didn't have the hours
available (log bookwise or logistics!).

Hmmm... sorry, I guess I came on a little strong there... but I wanted to
ensure the correct information was known.

Cyndi

-L. :

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in message news:<4CE9d.202$Mh7.72@trnddc04>...
> > wrote in message
> >
> > : Still, as others have mentioned, canned pumpkin is best for pies. I
> > : often think of it as the exception when I say I don't like canned
> > : anything when fresh is available. Make sure you're getting plain canned
> > : pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling which is not the same thing. I have
> > : made pie from fresh pumpkin, but dealing with the excess water was a
> > bother.
> >

> > Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard or other
> > squash. So the only way to make a true pumpkin pie is to use fresh
> > pumpkin. When you make a pie from canned "pumpkin", you are really
> > making a squash pie (pumpkin is a squash however).
> >
> > I cut a pumpkin in half and clean the seeds out. Place
> > cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 325 for about
> > an hour. Scrape the flesh out with a spoon. Puree the flesh in a
> > blender or food processor until smooth. The puree can also be frozen
> > and used at a later date. The consistency of pies made this way is
> > far superior to the heavy, pasty-consistency pies made from canned
> > "pumpkin". No need to remove excess water.
> >===========

> Excuse me? "Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard
> or other squash." ?!! Where did you get your information from Bob?
>
> Although I can not swear for other companies I can guarantee that Libby's
> (Nestle') IS REAL PUMPKIN! I used to live 9 miles away from the pumpkin
> processing plant in Morton, Illinois. Several of the fields (pumpkin
> patches) where the pumpkins are grown were also near me. When I was still
> an OTR driver in the early 90s I used to take truckloads of empty cans to
> the plant to be filled and later pulled those same cans, filled, and took
> them to Nestle distribution centers. I have toured their facilities and
> have watched the trucks bringing in the pumpkins - straight from the fields.
> I had considered hauling pumpkin on the side... but didn't have the hours
> available (log bookwise or logistics!).
>
> Hmmm... sorry, I guess I came on a little strong there... but I wanted to
> ensure the correct information was known.
>
> Cyndi

Not to mention the ingredients list says "contents: pumpkin" They
can't lie, legally.

-L.
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Rick & Cyndi" > said:
> > wrote in message

> > Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard or other
> > squash. So the only way to make a true pumpkin pie is to use fresh
> > pumpkin. When you make a pie from canned "pumpkin", you are really
> > making a squash pie (pumpkin is a squash however).

<snip>

> Excuse me? "Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard
> or other squash." ?!! Where did you get your information from Bob?
>
> Although I can not swear for other companies I can guarantee that Libby's
> (Nestle') IS REAL PUMPKIN! I used to live 9 miles away from the pumpkin
> processing plant in Morton, Illinois. Several of the fields (pumpkin
> patches) where the pumpkins are grown were also near me. When I was still
> an OTR driver in the early 90s I used to take truckloads of empty cans to
> the plant to be filled and later pulled those same cans, filled, and took
> them to Nestle distribution centers. I have toured their facilities and
> have watched the trucks bringing in the pumpkins - straight from the fields.
> I had considered hauling pumpkin on the side... but didn't have the hours
> available (log bookwise or logistics!).
>
> Hmmm... sorry, I guess I came on a little strong there... but I wanted to
> ensure the correct information was known.

Thank you very much, Cyndi -- I appreciate hearing the truth, as I'm
planning to make some Libby's pumpkin pies this season...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Beirader

> : Still, as others have mentioned, canned pumpkin is best for pies. I
> : often think of it as the exception when I say I don't like canned
> : anything when fresh is available. Make sure you're getting plain canned
> : pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling which is not the same thing. I have
> : made pie from fresh pumpkin, but dealing with the excess water was a bother.
>

> Note that in the US canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin, it's Hubbard or other
> squash. So the only way to make a true pumpkin pie is to use fresh
> pumpkin. When you make a pie from canned "pumpkin", you are really
> making a squash pie (pumpkin is a squash however).
>
> I cut a pumpkin in half and clean the seeds out. Place
> cut-side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 325 for about
> an hour. Scrape the flesh out with a spoon. Puree the flesh in a
> blender or food processor until smooth. The puree can also be frozen
> and used at a later date. The consistency of pies made this way is
> far superior to the heavy, pasty-consistency pies made from canned
> "pumpkin". No need to remove excess water.

I do it even faster. Cut them pumpkins with a slit in the side (sugar
pumpkins) and do them in the microwave about 10 minutes. Take out and
cool, open up remove seeds and strings. Put the pumpkin meat in the
processor or sieve and puree. If I want it very dry I put it in a
strainer with cheese cloth and drain for an hour. For regular pie I use
the puree as is. The microwave cooking doesn't make it filled with
liquid as baking does.
Great flavor.
I then use my famous pie shell made with lard and butter or when pushed
a Marie Callender frozen shell. They too use a lard combo for a really
flaky crust. Can't get it any other way. We like our pie highly spiced
so ours is a bit different from the usual Plimouth recipe.
Bee