Leo

Default Reasonably-priced champagne for a smallish reception?

Hi, folks

Can you help with a suggestion?

On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows on the
occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be held in the
church where were married, with about 25 guests in attendance.
Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's parish house, and
I would like to supply champagne for the occasion. Is there a decent
champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle? As a rule of thumb,
how many bottles should I buy for this gathering of 25-30 people?

If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, where
the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order alcoholic
beverages via mail.

Thanks,
Leo
Zywicki

There are four Costco warehouses in your general area. Maryland has
one in Beltsville:

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Loca...?Warehouse=214

They have many good values in wine. They also have many other great
values in clothing, electronics, and gasoline, so you don't have to buy
a two gallon jar of mayonaise to justify your membership.

Are you looking, exactly, for sparkling white wine vinted and bottled
in the Champagne region of France, or are you looking for any sparkling
wine? If the second, then you're looking for any of the following:
Sparkling wine, Champagne, Cava, and Spumante. There might be other
terms too.

If you can, take your wife out this weekend to a champagne bar such as
this

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/W...C/MCCXXIII.asp

or this:

http://community-2.webtv.net/ASM101/ELLINGTONSONEIGHTH/

Or find a well regarded wine shop.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good sparkling wine in your
price range. You might even be able to find a couple - a dryer one and
a sweeter one, maybe a pink or rose.

Good luck and congratulations.

Steve Pope

Leo > wrote:

> Is there a decent champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle?

At this price point, I'd consider Roderer Estate, which is not
a champagne, but is a California sparkling wine made by the
French.

It depends upon how long your event will run but I'd be
uncomfortable with having less than one bottle for every
three guests.

Have fun

Steve
Biff

(Leo) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi, folks
>
> Can you help with a suggestion?
>
> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows on the
> occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be held in the
> church where were married, with about 25 guests in attendance.
> Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's parish house, and
> I would like to supply champagne for the occasion. Is there a decent
> champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle? As a rule of thumb,
> how many bottles should I buy for this gathering of 25-30 people?
>
> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, where
> the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order alcoholic
> beverages via mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

As a rule of thumb you can get at least 6 flute glasses from each 750
ml bottle
possibly more. If there is to be toasts you should allow for 2 glasses
per person. I assume people are driving and 3 glasses of bubbley would
be too much.
So we are at 10 bottles minimum it seems. Here in Canada only the
French (European French} can use the word Champagne on sparkling wines
and it all is over $20.00 CDN and unless money is no object we often
use a Spanish "champagne style" white. Frexinet is a good one at
around half the price. It's aromatic of champagne grapes, very dry and
the bubbles go right up your nose like a proper champagne.

Felicitations,
Biff

What is the 10th anniversary? Wood? Silk? Pewter?

Biff

(Leo) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi, folks
>
> Can you help with a suggestion?
>
> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows on the
> occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be held in the
> church where were married, with about 25 guests in attendance.
> Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's parish house, and
> I would like to supply champagne for the occasion. Is there a decent
> champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle? As a rule of thumb,
> how many bottles should I buy for this gathering of 25-30 people?
>
> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, where
> the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order alcoholic
> beverages via mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

As a rule of thumb you can get at least 6 flute glasses from each 750
ml bottle
possibly more. If there is to be toasts you should allow for 2 glasses
per person. I assume people are driving and 3 glasses of bubbley would
be too much.
So we are at 10 bottles minimum it seems. Here in Canada only the
French (European French} can use the word Champagne on sparkling wines
and it all is over $20.00 CDN and unless money is no object we often
use a Spanish "champagne style" white. Frexinet is a good one at
around half the price. It's aromatic of champagne grapes, very dry and
the bubbles go right up your nose like a proper champagne.

Felicitations,
Biff

What is the 10th anniversary? Wood? Silk? Pewter?
Margaret Suran

Biff wrote:
> (Leo) wrote in message
> . com>...
>
>> Hi, folks
>>
>> Can you help with a suggestion?
>>
>> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows
>> on the occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be
>> held in the church where were married, with about 25 guests in
>> attendance. Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's
>> parish house, and I would like to supply champagne for the
>> occasion. Is there a decent champagne that retains for about $20
>> a bottle? As a rule of thumb, how many bottles should I buy for
>> this gathering of 25-30 people?
>>
>> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC,
>> where the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order
>> alcoholic beverages via mail.
>>
>> Thanks, Leo

> As a rule of thumb you can get at least 6 flute glasses from each
> 750 ml bottle possibly more. If there is to be toasts you should
> allow for 2 glasses per person. I assume people are driving and 3
> glasses of bubbley would be too much. So we are at 10 bottles
> minimum it seems. Here in Canada only the French (European French}
> can use the word Champagne on sparkling wines and it all is over
> $20.00 CDN and unless money is no object we often use a Spanish
> "champagne style" white. Frexinet is a good one at around half the
> price. It's aromatic of champagne grapes, very dry and the bubbles
> go right up your nose like a proper champagne.
>
> Felicitations, Biff
>
> What is the 10th anniversary? Wood? Silk? Pewter?

Mazel Tov! It is wonderful to see your post about wanting to renew
your marriage vows after ten years and I want to extend my heartiest
congratulations.

Does it have to be Champagne? Sure. you can get a decent bottle, non
vintage for about $20.00 to $25.00, but are you certain that all your
guest like to drink it?

I have recently been to a gathering and the champagne that was served,
each bottle much more than what you want to spend, went to waste. On
the other hand, the wine and beer that was also available, disappeared
much more quickly.

How about an old fashioned punch bowl? Lots of fruit juices and cut
up fruit and wine and ginger ale instead of the champagne? That's the
way we celebrated happy occasions, when I was young, about fifty years
ago. You can have a couple of bottles of wine, too.

In New York City, some of the champagnes in the price range you
specified, $20,00 or a little more, a

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut

Piper Heidsieck Extra Dry

Laurent Perrier Brut

There are many others, but in your area they may be less or more.

BTW, I am very biased. I do not like Champagne, no matter how good it
may be. If I drink something, I want it to be dead and not bubble in
my mouth. I do not drink any sodas, either.

Best wishes on your tenth anniversary. May you celebrate many, many
more in good health and happiness, surrounded by your loved ones, Margaret

Margaret Suran

Biff wrote:
> [...]

How about an old fashioned punch bowl? Lots of fruit juices and cut
up fruit and wine and ginger ale instead of the champagne? That's the
way we celebrated happy occasions, when I was young, about fifty years
ago. You can have a couple of bottles of wine, too.

In New York City, some of the champagnes in the price range you
specified, $20,00 or a little more, a

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut

Piper Heidsieck Extra Dry

Laurent Perrier Brut

There are many others, but in your area they may be less or more.

BTW, I am very biased. I do not like Champagne, no matter how good it
may be. If I drink something, I want it to be dead and not bubble in
my mouth. I do not drink any sodas, either.

Best wishes on your tenth anniversary. May you celebrate many, many
more in good health and happiness, surrounded by your loved ones, Margaret

Mark Willstatter

(Leo) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi, folks
>
> Can you help with a suggestion?
>
> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows on the
> occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be held in the
> church where were married, with about 25 guests in attendance.
> Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's parish house, and
> I would like to supply champagne for the occasion. Is there a decent
> champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle? As a rule of thumb,
> how many bottles should I buy for this gathering of 25-30 people?
>
> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, where
> the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order alcoholic
> beverages via mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

If sparkling wine is OK rather than only Champagne with a capitol C, I
highly recommend Gruet - from of all places, New Mexico. I was
introduced to Gruet recently via bottle of their Blanc de Noirs. A
very fine, long-lasting mousse, great creamy mouthfeel, nice fruit. I
was dubious seeing New Mexico on the label but ended up completely
impressed - you might not be able to call this wine complex but it is
a very fine effort. From later reading, I understand their other
sparkling wines are also very nice and at $13 from the winery ($12 by
the case) they represent great value. They are widely distributed, so
you may well be able to find it near DC. You can also read about the
wines at
http://www.gruetwinery.com/. I have no connection with the
place other than as the very happy and surprised recipient of a gift
bottle.

- Mark W.
Chris and Bob Neidecker

Hey Leo,

Where in the burbs are you...can you make a trip over to Virginia? Over
here, liquor is sold in ABC stores, but wine is sold in wine stores and
supermarkets....even at Kmart and 7-11!

Total Beverage stores (there's one in Chantilly and I think one in McLean)
are a pretty good place to buy wine, or Costco/BJs, as you've already been
told. I think at Total Beverage, they actually know something about the
wines. When I need wine advice, I go to the Vienna Vintner here in Vienna
on Maple Ave. They've never steered me wrong.

how much to buy....are you thinking of serving everyone a single glass
for a toast, or will the champagne be flowing during the whole party? If
it's just a single glass, I would think about 8 bottles would do it, but get
some extra, just in case.

Also, make sure that alcohol is allowed in the parish house. I've been to
some churches where they don't allow it.

Have fun, and congratulations!

Chris

Zywicki

" If I drink something, I want it to be dead"
I find a quick whiz in the blender finishes off most animals.

Kswck

"Leo" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi, folks
>
> Can you help with a suggestion?
>
> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows on the
> occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be held in the
> church where were married, with about 25 guests in attendance.
> Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's parish house, and
> I would like to supply champagne for the occasion. Is there a decent
> champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle? As a rule of thumb,
> how many bottles should I buy for this gathering of 25-30 people?
>
> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, where
> the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order alcoholic
> beverages via mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

Assuming this is to be only for a toast, I recommend Korbel. It's about
$12/bottle. Not the greatest stuff in the world, but if only for a toast
it's fine. Figure on 6-7 flute glasses per bottle, with an extra one thrown
in.
For what it's worth, many catering halls use J Roget 'sparkling wine'. About
$5/bottle.
If your guests are not champagne (sparkling wine) drinkers, that may be the
way to go.

anonymous

Hi,

there are quite a few california sparkling wines Chandon comes to mind
(as in Moet et Chandon) and Frixnet from spain is pretty good.

you might want to try a demi-sec too.

--
Lienad Inc. .45/.410 Derringer Parts Kit
1911 Recoil Compensator Bushing
Christopher Green

anonymous > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> there are quite a few california sparkling wines Chandon comes to mind
> (as in Moet et Chandon) and Frixnet from spain is pretty good.
>
> you might want to try a demi-sec too.

At the OP's price point ($20/bottle) and limited requirement
(something less than a case), there are wines a lot better than
Freixenet to choose from. Chandon's California bubblies are very good
and widely available; I like these better than Mumm's California, and
they should be at better prices.

I've always had a liking for Taittinger, only rarely matched by my
wallet. Domaine Carneros is Taittinger's California operation and does
very well. Another French producer operating in California that
produces top-notch wine is Roederer.

--
Chris Green
anonymous

Hi,

well my favorite is Schrambsburg(sp?) Cremant, a delightful california
demi-sec....

if the OP is IN california might be under $20 with a case discount (does
california tax in state wine sales... shouldn't be any federal on it
until it crosses a state line... I know the "tennessee sippin' whiskeys
are definitely a LOT cheaper IN tennessee)

Christopher Green wrote:

> anonymous > wrote in message >...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>there are quite a few california sparkling wines Chandon comes to mind
>>(as in Moet et Chandon) and Frixnet from spain is pretty good.
>>
>>you might want to try a demi-sec too.

> At the OP's price point ($20/bottle) and limited requirement
> (something less than a case), there are wines a lot better than
> Freixenet to choose from. Chandon's California bubblies are very good
> and widely available; I like these better than Mumm's California, and
> they should be at better prices.
>
> I've always had a liking for Taittinger, only rarely matched by my
> wallet. Domaine Carneros is Taittinger's California operation and does
> very well. Another French producer operating in California that
> produces top-notch wine is Roederer.

--
Lienad Inc. .45/.410 Derringer Parts Kit
1911 Recoil Compensator Bushing

Christopher Green

sf > wrote in message >. ..
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:53:28 -0500, anonymous
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > well my favorite is Schrambsburg(sp?) Cremant

> Schramsberg Cremant
>
> > a delightful california
> > demi-sec....
> >

> demi sec, beginner wine
>
> > if the OP is IN california might be under $20 with a case discount (does
> > california tax in state wine sales... shouldn't be any federal on it
> > until it crosses a state line... I know the "tennessee sippin' whiskeys
> > are definitely a LOT cheaper IN tennessee)
> >

> Wine is heavily taxed in California and we don't get any
> price breaks other than what a volume store like Breverages
> & More can give us.

Not so: wine is actually very lightly taxed in California (thanks to
the Wine Institute lobby): 30 cents/gallon on sparkling wine, much
less than the sales tax on anything but cheap stuff. This is very
close to the lowest tax rate on sparkling wine of any state.

The problem is abusive pricing, sometimes by retailers, but usually by
distributors who use the anticompetitive liquor laws to carve out
monopolies.

--
Chris Green
sf

On 11 Oct 2004 20:59:40 -0700,
(Christopher Green) wrote:

> Not so: wine is actually very lightly taxed in California (thanks to
> the Wine Institute lobby): 30 cents/gallon on sparkling wine, much
> less than the sales tax on anything but cheap stuff. This is very
> close to the lowest tax rate on sparkling wine of any state.

YOu're right. I was lumping wine in with distilled spirits
($3.30 per gallon).

There's a nice little graphic here
http://www.lao.ca.gov/2001/tax_prime..._chapter5.html

> The problem is abusive pricing, sometimes by retailers, but usually by
> distributors who use the anticompetitive liquor laws to carve out
> monopolies.

I guess that explains why I can buy certain wines for less
out of state.

sf

The Lunchtime Reception Janet Bostwick General Cooking 23 01-05-2011 09:43 PM
How to make a smallish salad? Julie Bove Diabetic 84 25-12-2009 11:08 PM
OT reception problem Dimitri General Cooking 2 28-08-2008 06:43 AM
Cocktail reception Goran General 0 14-12-2006 06:16 AM
food 911 - the wedding reception sf General Cooking 1 20-06-2004 04:47 AM