kalanamak

Default Salad Dressings

Jessica Vincent wrote:

> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.
>
> I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?

Greek is great, and others, though not me, love green goddess from
Penzeys.

My favourite is
one part good olive oil
one part good balsamic vinegar
one part crushed ice, whipped together to emulsify the stuff
add as much dijon mustard as you like.
Can blend in some avocado as well.
blacksalt

Frank Mancuso

Jessica Vincent wrote:
> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.
>
> I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?
>
> Jessica

Oil
Vinegar

My Favorite!

RMiller

>I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?

I tried The Penzy's Green Goddess, and it is one of the few Penzy'sproducts
that I did not like.

Rosie
Rick & Cyndi

ink.net...
:
: My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy
roasted red
: pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic
Italian
: dressing.
:
: I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback
on those?
:
: Jessica
:
: =======

One of our favorite dressings is to use:

Sour Cream
Vinegar
and a little bit of sugar

Mix together to taste. It's really, really good! When Rick and
I were married - it was the salad dressing that I requested to be
made (as in no other dressings were served!). It's outstanding.

No, I haven't tried any of the Penzeys' dressings yet.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Julia Altshuler

I don't see miso dressing on the list. Combine in a blender a small
onion, half a cup of mild white miso and 1/4 cup of cider vinegar.

--Lia

Jessica Vincent wrote:
> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.
>
> I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?
>
> Jessica

Nancy

Lemon juice
Olive Oil
Vegisal
sweet-n-low
feta cheese

"Jessica Vincent" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.
>
> I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?
>
> Jessica

Lynn Gifford

For years I "gifted" friends & neighbors with homemade salad
dressings. These are my "BEST"

Imperial French Dressing
Simmer till sugar is dissolved:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
dash Tabasco®
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Whisk in:
1 cup catsup
1 cup olive oil (I use less 1/2 c?)
1 cup vegetable oil (I use less)
3 TB capers
1 1/2 tsp caper juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
Makes 2-3 cups. Shake before serving.

Dutch Mill Gorgonzola Dressing
1 lb Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
2 cups whole milk
1 quart real mayonnaise
Coarsely crumble cheese. Scald milk, add all but about one cup of
crumbled cheese. Stir over low heat till cheese melts. Cool to room
temperature. Beat in the mayonnaise. Fold in reserved cheese crumbles.
Refrigerate.

Dom DeLuise's Chinese Dressing
2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 cups water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup plum sauce
2 TB soy sauce
1 TB fresh ginger, grated
2 whole cloves garlic
2 TB sesame oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil (optional)
Bring vinegar, sugar & water to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar.
Off heat, add ginger, plum sauce, soy sauce, garlic cloves (peeled,
smashed a bit & stuck onto a toothpick) and oils.
Refrigerate overnight. Shake well before serving. Makes about a quart.

POPPY SEED DRESSING
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons very finely grated onion
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt (or less)
1 cup oil (or less - add a little water to the vinegar if you cut down
on the oil so it isn't too strong)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Combine vinegar, onion sugar and dry mustard. Whisk in salt and oil
(or place in blender and add oil very slowly while blender is running)
Stir in poppy seeds. Keep refrigerated. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Lynn in Fargo
Wayne Boatwright

(Lynn Gifford) wrote in
om:

> For years I "gifted" friends & neighbors with homemade salad
> dressings. These are my "BEST"
>
> Imperial French Dressing
> Simmer till sugar is dissolved:
> 1/4 cup brown sugar
> 1 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/8 tsp pepper
> 1/2 tsp onion salt
> 1/2 tsp celery seed
> dash Tabasco®
> 1 tsp paprika
> 1/2 tsp dill
> 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
> Whisk in:
> 1 cup catsup
> 1 cup olive oil (I use less 1/2 c?)
> 1 cup vegetable oil (I use less)
> 3 TB capers
> 1 1/2 tsp caper juice
> 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
> 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
> Makes 2-3 cups. Shake before serving.
>
> Dutch Mill Gorgonzola Dressing
> 1 lb Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
> 2 cups whole milk
> 1 quart real mayonnaise
> Coarsely crumble cheese. Scald milk, add all but about one cup of
> crumbled cheese. Stir over low heat till cheese melts. Cool to room
> temperature. Beat in the mayonnaise. Fold in reserved cheese crumbles.
> Refrigerate.
>
> Dom DeLuise's Chinese Dressing
> 2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 cup white sugar
> 1/4 cup plum sauce
> 2 TB soy sauce
> 1 TB fresh ginger, grated
> 2 whole cloves garlic
> 2 TB sesame oil
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil (optional)
> Bring vinegar, sugar & water to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar.
> Off heat, add ginger, plum sauce, soy sauce, garlic cloves (peeled,
> smashed a bit & stuck onto a toothpick) and oils.
> Refrigerate overnight. Shake well before serving. Makes about a quart.
>
> POPPY SEED DRESSING
> 1/3 cup white vinegar
> 2 tablespoons very finely grated onion
> 1/2 cup white sugar
> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1 teaspoon salt (or less)
> 1 cup oil (or less - add a little water to the vinegar if you cut down
> on the oil so it isn't too strong)
> 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
> Combine vinegar, onion sugar and dry mustard. Whisk in salt and oil
> (or place in blender and add oil very slowly while blender is running)
> Stir in poppy seeds. Keep refrigerated. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Boy, Lynn, these are all for keeping! Thanks for posting...

Wayne
Mia

"Jessica Vincent" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.
>
> I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?
>
> Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I recently tried Jamie Oliver's Honey and Lemon Juice dressing and it was
delicious.
It is: 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp honey, salt
and pepper to taste.

When I get bored with my usual vinaigrettes, I sometimes substitute the
vinegar or spice with something different -- for example, rice wine vinegar
and grated ginger; or a berry vinegar with walnut oil; etc.

Mia

Dawn

Jessica Vincent wrote:

> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.

If you like those, try this one:

coddle 1 egg in a mug full of boiling water for 1 minute
mix with:
1/8 c red wine vinegar
1/8 c olive oil
1 t dijon mustard
1 t sugar

That's great over a plain salad.

For these next two, you can scale the amount of sugar, salt, and fat
down if you like, as long as you can get it to emulsify. I've already
cut it down some from more traditional recipes.

Poppyseed:

1/2 c sugar
1/2 c lemon
2 t onion powder
1 t dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
2/3 c oil
1 T poppy seeds
1/2 c sour cream

Blend well.

Honey Mustard:

1 c olive oil
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 1/8 c honey
1/2 c dijon mustard
3/4 c mayonnaise

blend well.

Dawn

Clay Irving

In article . net>,
Jessica Vincent wrote:

> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.

Ponzu and a little sesame oil.

--
Clay Irving >
When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers.
R. Fizek

We make a similar sourcream dressing:

Sour Cream
Lemon Juice
Sugar
a little milk for smoothness
Dried onion
Garlic Salt
Dried Dill

Tammy
"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in message
> "Jessica Vincent" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> : Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing
> recipes? I'm
> : looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
> :
> : My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy
> roasted red
> : pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic
> Italian
> : dressing.
> :
> : I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback
> on those?
> :
> : Jessica
> :
> : =======
>
> One of our favorite dressings is to use:
>
> Sour Cream
> Vinegar
> and a little bit of sugar
>
> Mix together to taste. It's really, really good! When Rick and
> I were married - it was the salad dressing that I requested to be
> made (as in no other dressings were served!). It's outstanding.
>
> No, I haven't tried any of the Penzeys' dressings yet.
>
> --
> Cyndi
> <Remove a "b" to reply>

notbob

On 2004-01-23, Lynn Gifford > wrote:
> For years I "gifted" friends & neighbors with homemade salad
> dressings. These are my "BEST"

All keepers! Thanks a bunch ...of lettuce.

nb

kalanamak

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:59:18 GMT, "Jessica Vincent"
> > wrote:
>
> >Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> >looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.

> Pour vinegar to -V- Line. Add water to -W- line. Add contents of
> package. Add oil to -O- line. Shake vigorously.
>
> -sw

This sounds a little like sex, to me.
Let's not forget the salad dressing I spent years trying to reproduce,
only to find the basics of it in a cookbook a neighbor gave me:

<paste>
Japanese carrot Dressing (from Moosewood Cooks at Home)
1/2 C shredded carrot
2 T mirin
2 T rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon usukuchi-style soy sauce (Kikkomen makes it)
1 T. grated ginger
1/2 teas. dark sesame oil (optional)
Puree' in blender
<end paste>
blacksalt
zxcvbob

Jessica Vincent wrote:
> Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.
>
> My repertoire is somewhat limited; thousand island, creamy roasted red
> pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, pesto vinaigrette and a generic Italian
> dressing.
>
> I've never tried Penzey's salad dressing blends, any feedback on those?
>
> Jessica

Daughter thawed out a small package of frozen peeled tomatoes by mistake.
They'll taste fresh but be watery and mushy. I'm trying to figure out how
to make a dressing out of them.

I think maybe something like 1 part thawed tomatoes and 2 parts olive oil,
seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried basil. Blenderize it all to
emulsify. It might need an egg yolk or a little soy lecithin to make it
mix, and might need a little lemon juice and/or sugar.

Think it will work?

Bob
sf

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:29:00 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:59:18 GMT, "Jessica Vincent"
> > wrote:
>
> >Would anyone care to share some of their favorite dressing recipes? I'm
> >looking for some "new" tried and true dressings.

> Pour vinegar to -V- Line. Add water to -W- line. Add contents of
> package. Add oil to -O- line. Shake vigorously.

Laugh all you want... it's still better than bottled.

sf

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:54:20 -0600, zxcvbob
> wrote:
>
> Daughter thawed out a small package of frozen peeled tomatoes by mistake.
> They'll taste fresh but be watery and mushy. I'm trying to figure out how
> to make a dressing out of them.
>
> I think maybe something like 1 part thawed tomatoes and 2 parts olive oil,
> seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried basil. Blenderize it all to
> emulsify. It might need an egg yolk or a little soy lecithin to make it
> mix, and might need a little lemon juice and/or sugar.
>
> Think it will work?

No. Make soup and add them to it.