Charles Gifford

Default REC: Cheese Stuffed Green Peppers

CHEESE STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS

Recipe from: "Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking", American Dairy
Association, 1966

6 medium green peppers
6 slices bacon
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 cups cooked long-grain rice
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tbs. chopped pimiento
1/2 tsp. salt
bacon curls for garnish, optional

Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and membrane. Parboil 5 minutes
in boiling salted water; drain. Cut bacon into small pieces. In a small
skillet, cook bacon with onion until bacon is crisp and brown; drain on
absorbent toweling. In mixing bowl combine bacon and onion, rice, cheese,
pimiento and salt; toss to blend. Spoon into green pepper cups, packing down
lightly. Place upright in baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot.
Garnish each with bacon curl, if desired.

Charlie's note: Being a complete hedonist, I put some extra shredded cheese
on the top after stuffing the peppers and dust lightly with paprika. For me
the extra bacon curl is mandatory.

Jack Schidt®

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
k.net...
> CHEESE STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
>
> Recipe from: "Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking", American Dairy
> Association, 1966
>

> 6 medium green peppers
> 6 slices bacon
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
> 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
> 2 tbs. chopped pimiento
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> bacon curls for garnish, optional
>

> Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and membrane. Parboil 5
> minutes
> in boiling salted water; drain. Cut bacon into small pieces. In a small
> skillet, cook bacon with onion until bacon is crisp and brown; drain on
> absorbent toweling. In mixing bowl combine bacon and onion, rice, cheese,
> pimiento and salt; toss to blend. Spoon into green pepper cups, packing
> down
> lightly. Place upright in baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot.
> Garnish each with bacon curl, if desired.
>
> Charlie's note: Being a complete hedonist, I put some extra shredded
> cheese
> on the top after stuffing the peppers and dust lightly with paprika. For
> me
> the extra bacon curl is mandatory.

YES YES YES! Thanks for posting, Charlie.

Jack Puerco

Charles Gifford

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> >
> > Charlie's note: Being a complete hedonist, I put some extra shredded
> > cheese
> > on the top after stuffing the peppers and dust lightly with paprika. For
> > me
> > the extra bacon curl is mandatory.
> >

> YES YES YES! Thanks for posting, Charlie.
>
> Jack Puerco

You are welcome Friend Jack! I had half of them for dinner yesterday and
will have the other half tomorrow. Tonight I am having a fried slice of ham,
a sweet potato and Brussels sprouts. Pears for dessert.

Charlie

HiTech RedNeck

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
k.net...
> CHEESE STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
>
> Recipe from: "Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking", American Dairy
> Association, 1966
>

> 6 medium green peppers
> 6 slices bacon
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
> 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
> 2 tbs. chopped pimiento
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> bacon curls for garnish, optional
>

> Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and membrane. Parboil 5

minutes
> in boiling salted water; drain. Cut bacon into small pieces. In a small
> skillet, cook bacon with onion until bacon is crisp and brown; drain on
> absorbent toweling. In mixing bowl combine bacon and onion, rice, cheese,
> pimiento and salt; toss to blend. Spoon into green pepper cups, packing

down
> lightly. Place upright in baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot.
> Garnish each with bacon curl, if desired.
>
> Charlie's note: Being a complete hedonist, I put some extra shredded

cheese
> on the top after stuffing the peppers and dust lightly with paprika. For

me
> the extra bacon curl is mandatory.

What temperature oven, 350F?

Also, should the baking dish be covered? (Another stuffed green pepper
recipe I have calls for covering the dish).

Also, anyone ever try stuffing red bell peppers? Do they come out OK?

Biff

"HiTech RedNeck" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > CHEESE STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
> >
> > Recipe from: "Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking", American Dairy
> > Association, 1966
> >

> > 6 medium green peppers
> > 6 slices bacon
> > 1/3 cup chopped onion
> > 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
> > 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
> > 2 tbs. chopped pimiento
> > 1/2 tsp. salt
> > bacon curls for garnish, optional

Yes, red bells can be stuffed with curried rice and chicken, they do
this in Sumatra.

Biff
> > Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and membrane. Parboil 5

> minutes
> > in boiling salted water; drain. Cut bacon into small pieces. In a small
> > skillet, cook bacon with onion until bacon is crisp and brown; drain on
> > absorbent toweling. In mixing bowl combine bacon and onion, rice, cheese,
> > pimiento and salt; toss to blend. Spoon into green pepper cups, packing

> down
> > lightly. Place upright in baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot.
> > Garnish each with bacon curl, if desired.
> >
> > Charlie's note: Being a complete hedonist, I put some extra shredded

> cheese
> > on the top after stuffing the peppers and dust lightly with paprika. For

> me
> > the extra bacon curl is mandatory.

> What temperature oven, 350F?
>
> Also, should the baking dish be covered? (Another stuffed green pepper
> recipe I have calls for covering the dish).
>
> Also, anyone ever try stuffing red bell peppers? Do they come out OK?

sf

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:01:31 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
> wrote:

> What temperature oven, 350F?
>
> Also, should the baking dish be covered? (Another stuffed green pepper
> recipe I have calls for covering the dish).
>
> Also, anyone ever try stuffing red bell peppers? Do they come out OK?

Temperature is "relative" to time in these cases. 350 is a
good starting point and 400 is a good stopping point.

I prefer to use red bell peppers and I don't precook them
because I prefer my peppers not mushy. I do put a little
water (about 1/2 inch) in the bottom of the baking pan,
which evaporates by the time everything is heated through.

sf
Bob

sf wrote:

>> Also, anyone ever try stuffing red bell peppers? Do they come out OK?

> Temperature is "relative" to time in these cases. 350 is a
> good starting point and 400 is a good stopping point.
>
> I prefer to use red bell peppers and I don't precook them
> because I prefer my peppers not mushy. I do put a little
> water (about 1/2 inch) in the bottom of the baking pan,
> which evaporates by the time everything is heated through.

I had intended to make stuffed red bell peppers the other day, but the
peppers were shaped in such a way that it would have been difficult to make
them stand up. The green peppers were all pretty squat, but the red peppers
were elongated and slightly pointed. Of course, I could have cut them open
along the side and stuffed them that way, but I chose not to. (And the green
peppers cost much less than the red peppers anyway.)

But are you able to find red peppers that stand up, or do you have to make
some adjustment, e.g. either propping them up or stuffing them sideways?

Bob

Charles Gifford

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:01:31 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
> > wrote:
>
> > What temperature oven, 350F?

Sorry. This post didn't appear for me. I'll jump into SF's post to answer.
The temperature should be 325-350F.

> > Also, should the baking dish be covered? (Another stuffed green pepper
> > recipe I have calls for covering the dish).

No. It isn't covered. Nothing is being cooked, just warmed and the cheese
melted. The peppers are previously parboiled, so they will end up
crisp-tender.

> > Also, anyone ever try stuffing red bell peppers? Do they come out OK?

Sure. They are very sweet though and I don't think they go well with all
stuffings. Yellow and orange bell peppers work fine too. Each has a slightly
different flavor. A friend of mine used to use a variety of colors when
stuffing peppers.

Charlie

sf

On 3 Oct 2004 18:22:13 -0500, "Bob"
> wrote:

> But are you able to find red peppers that stand up, or do you have to make
> some adjustment, e.g. either propping them up or stuffing them sideways?

I think your red pepper may have been a different variety.
My red (and purple peppers) are shaped like the green ones!

PS: I prefer them split lengthwise, but they would stand up
if I wanted them to.

sf
Grizzman

try adding some brown sugar to it....

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
k.net...
> CHEESE STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
>
> Recipe from: "Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking", American Dairy
> Association, 1966
>

> 6 medium green peppers
> 6 slices bacon
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
> 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
> 2 tbs. chopped pimiento
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> bacon curls for garnish, optional
>

> Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and membrane. Parboil 5

minutes
> in boiling salted water; drain. Cut bacon into small pieces. In a small
> skillet, cook bacon with onion until bacon is crisp and brown; drain on
> absorbent toweling. In mixing bowl combine bacon and onion, rice, cheese,
> pimiento and salt; toss to blend. Spoon into green pepper cups, packing

down
> lightly. Place upright in baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot.
> Garnish each with bacon curl, if desired.
>
> Charlie's note: Being a complete hedonist, I put some extra shredded

cheese
> on the top after stuffing the peppers and dust lightly with paprika. For

me
> the extra bacon curl is mandatory.

texpat

I made something similar one summer when my garden overflowed w/green
peppers. I remember the filling had hamburger, corn, tomatoes and onion in
it (don't remember what else).

My (then) 8 yo son asked if we could please have that again, "without the
green pepper". :/

om...

Stuffed Green Peppers Tim Recipes 0 18-09-2005 05:26 AM
Stuffed Green Peppers vicki_vera Recipes (moderated) 0 18-09-2005 01:28 AM
Stuffed Green Peppers Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-06-2005 02:10 PM
Stuffed Green Peppers International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-11-2004 02:26 AM
CHEESE STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS Hahabogus Diabetic 1 02-10-2004 12:34 AM