FoodBanter.com

-   -   Beer Cheese Jalapeno soup (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/36993-beer-cheese-jalapeno-soup.html)

Faux_Pseudo 30-09-2004 03:40 AM

Beer Cheese Jalapeno soup

At the San Diego Brewing company they have a Beer Cheese Jalapeno soup
that is very tasty. It is spicy and very thick. I scaned through a
few recipies on line and couldn't find one that seemed close to it.

Most of them had some variation on the following:
6 cups beer (one said flat beer)
2 cups chedder (one said synth-cheese aka velveta which I loath)
2 cups onion
1 cup celery
1 cup jalopeno

One of them mentioned sour cream which feels like a step in the right
direction.
The type I am looking for has no noticable amount of onionn or celery
in it.

Because Pseudo_Wife isn't big on onion and I figured half a batch
should work I used the following:
3 cups beer
1 1/2 cups chedder
1/2 cup onion
2/3 cup celery
1/2 cup jalopeno

I started by cooking down the onions and celery in a pot. This was to
help get them softer since I don't like big chunks of celery and as
mentioned Pseudo_Wife does not like onion.

After it started to carmalize I added the bear and let it simmer for
about 15 minutes before adding the cheese and jalapenos. From there I
incrased the heat and started to stir it a lot. It was comming out
far too thin and the cheese wasn't creaming like it should have so I
added a table spoon of flower to help thicken it a bit.

Still not happy with the way it was turning out I put in about half a
cup of sour cream and threw in two pieces of toast.

While it tasted good it was not what I was aiming for in the flavor or
thickness catagory.

Does anyone have any tried and true recipies that are thick, creamy
and loaded with spice?

--
.-')) http://asciipr0n.com/fp ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

Lynn Gifford 30-09-2004 06:36 PM

Faux_Pseudo > wrote in message news:<YmK6d.1968$pN6.39@fed1read06>...
> At the San Diego Brewing company they have a Beer Cheese Jalapeno soup
> that is very tasty. It is spicy and very thick. I scaned through a
> few recipies on line and couldn't find one that seemed close to it.
>
> Most of them had some variation on the following:
> 6 cups beer (one said flat beer)
> 2 cups chedder (one said synth-cheese aka velveta which I loath)
> 2 cups onion
> 1 cup celery
> 1 cup jalopeno
>
> One of them mentioned sour cream which feels like a step in the right
> direction.
> The type I am looking for has no noticable amount of onionn or celery
> in it.
>
> Because Pseudo_Wife isn't big on onion and I figured half a batch
> should work I used the following:
> 3 cups beer
> 1 1/2 cups chedder
> 1/2 cup onion
> 2/3 cup celery
> 1/2 cup jalopeno
>
> I started by cooking down the onions and celery in a pot. This was to
> help get them softer since I don't like big chunks of celery and as
> mentioned Pseudo_Wife does not like onion.
>
> After it started to carmalize I added the bear and let it simmer for
> about 15 minutes before adding the cheese and jalapenos. From there I
> incrased the heat and started to stir it a lot. It was comming out
> far too thin and the cheese wasn't creaming like it should have so I
> added a table spoon of flower to help thicken it a bit.
>
> Still not happy with the way it was turning out I put in about half a
> cup of sour cream and threw in two pieces of toast.
>
> While it tasted good it was not what I was aiming for in the flavor or
> thickness catagory.
>
> Does anyone have any tried and true recipies that are thick, creamy
> and loaded with spice?

==============================
Aside from your spelling-which is atrohshus -
;-)
Cheddar doesnt work well for me in beer cheese soup because it gets
too rubbery. Don't laugh (well, laugh if you like but don't flame me,
please) Cheese Whiz works well. If that seems like an anathma to you
Kraft packages a cheese called Four Cheese melt - or something like
that. There's Cheddar in it & Monterey Jack & . . . It melts very
smoothly and has a good flavor. I have NEVER seen sour cream in Beer
Cheese soup! If you dredge the shredded cheese in a couple of
tablespoons of flour, it will thicken the soup nicely. Don't add the
cheese all at once. Add it by hands full and it will not lump.
OR, if you're in a real hurry and not a purist do this:

"Greater than the Sum of It's Parts" Soup
One can cream of chicken soup
One (soup) can beer or milk
One can chunk chicken breast
One cup (or more) any soft yellow cheese (that Vel word)
One can chopped green chilis (use part jalapenos if you like)

Heat soup & milk/beer till almost boiling. Reduce heat. Add cheese and
stir till smooth. Stir in chicken & chilis. Nice served with a
sprinkle of chopped scallions.
Lynn from Fargo

zxcvbob 30-09-2004 07:12 PM

Lynn Gifford wrote:
> ;-)
> Cheddar doesnt work well for me in beer cheese soup because it gets
> too rubbery. Don't laugh (well, laugh if you like but don't flame me,
> please) Cheese Whiz works well. If that seems like an anathma to you
> Kraft packages a cheese called Four Cheese melt - or something like
> that. There's Cheddar in it & Monterey Jack & . . . It melts very
> smoothly and has a good flavor.

When I want a smooth-melting cheese, I generally use processed American
cheese -- and I try to use "American cheese", and not "...cheese food"
or "cheese product". When it's smooth and almost ready but not quite
thick enough yet, I add some grated extra sharp cheddar if the American
cheese doesn't taste cheesy enough. (a little blue cheese would
probably also work well).

Velveeta has too much moisture, too much salt, and too much swiss cheese
for my taste. You can't beat it for smooth texture, but American cheese
comes very, very close.

I wish I could find American cheese as good as that government cheese
they used to give away when they were cleaning out the stockpiles.
Kraft used to sell an Old English loaf that was good too (sharp American
cheese); it would be perfect in a cheese soup, but it was kind of expensive.

Bob

Faux_Pseudo 30-09-2004 07:22 PM

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Lynn Gifford wrote the following -._
> Aside from your spelling-which is atrohshus -

I say it sucks. Mostly because I can't spell that word you used.

> Cheese Whiz works well. If that seems like an anathma to you
> Kraft packages a cheese called Four Cheese melt - or something like
> that.
> If you dredge the shredded cheese in a couple of
> tablespoons of flour, it will thicken the soup nicely.

I have used that with other things. Sounds like an idea.

> I have NEVER seen sour cream in Beer Cheese soup!

There is a provision in NAFTA that says you must have sour cream in
anything that also has jalapenos. It was a consesion offerd because
we wanted the ablity to open another Taco Bell in Mexico city after
the one that opend in 1992 got shut down for poluting the culture of
Mexico. Not bad when you concider that to get permission to open 600
Starbucks in France we have to start calling them French Fries again.

Remember folks that free trade isn't free.
</rant /jokes>

> "Greater than the Sum of It's Parts" Soup
> One can cream of chicken soup
> One (soup) can beer or milk
> One can chunk chicken breast

I assume that those are all Campbells condensed soup sized cans you
are talking about. Right?[0]

The above isn't what I am looking for but I will try it out since I am
looking for more soup recipes as we get closer to winter.

[0] did the cans get smaller or did the serving size?

Sam D. 01-10-2004 09:28 AM

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> I wish I could find American cheese as good as that government

cheese
> they used to give away when they were cleaning out the stockpiles.
> Kraft used to sell an Old English loaf that was good too (sharp

American
> cheese); it would be perfect in a cheese soup, but it was kind of

expensive.

Guv'ment cheese! That's definitely something I hadn't thought about
in a long time. They must have given away millions of tons of it at
the time. Anyone that wanted it got a 5-pound block.

A Ross 01-10-2004 02:02 PM

In article >, "Sam D."
> wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >
> > I wish I could find American cheese as good as that government

> cheese
> > they used to give away when they were cleaning out the stockpiles.
> > Kraft used to sell an Old English loaf that was good too (sharp

> American
> > cheese); it would be perfect in a cheese soup, but it was kind of

> expensive.
>
> Guv'ment cheese! That's definitely something I hadn't thought about
> in a long time. They must have given away millions of tons of it at
> the time. Anyone that wanted it got a 5-pound block.

That was the best stuff--made a hella good grilled cheese samitch.