Default A PIZZA PUZZLE

I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.

Used tomato sauce
with garlic powder and oregano.
Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
and
Lots of shredded mozzarella
It turned out looking beautiful.

But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
????

I don't understand it.
I've tasted the garlic powder, the oregano,
and there's nothing unusual.
Could I have gotten a can of bitter tomato sauce ?
Maybe the shredded cheddar reacted funny ?

Any clues ? suggestions?

( I've made this pizza before without a problem )
<rj>
Vox Humana

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
> Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
> Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.
>
> Used tomato sauce
> with garlic powder and oregano.
> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
> and
> Lots of shredded mozzarella
> It turned out looking beautiful.
>
> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
> ????

I have tried all kinds of tomato sauces for pizza. I think the best choice
is an uncooked sauce made from peeled, seeded Roma tomatoes with a little
garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. I find that canned tomato
sauce gives unsatisfactory results similar to what you experienced.

-L.

"<RJ>" > wrote in message >. ..
> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
> Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
> Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.
>
> Used tomato sauce
> with garlic powder and oregano.
> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
> and
> Lots of shredded mozzarella
> It turned out looking beautiful.
>
> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
> ????
>
> I don't understand it.
> I've tasted the garlic powder, the oregano,
> and there's nothing unusual.
> Could I have gotten a can of bitter tomato sauce ?

Yes. I always cook my sauce with caramelized onions and peppers,
spices and add some corn syrup or sugar to cut the acidity/bitterness.

> Maybe the shredded cheddar reacted funny ?

Possibly.

> Any clues ? suggestions?

Try it again.

-L.
Jack Schidt®

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
> Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
> Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.
>
> Used tomato sauce
> with garlic powder and oregano.
> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
> and
> Lots of shredded mozzarella
> It turned out looking beautiful.
>
> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
> ????
>
> I don't understand it.
> I've tasted the garlic powder, the oregano,
> and there's nothing unusual.
> Could I have gotten a can of bitter tomato sauce ?
> Maybe the shredded cheddar reacted funny ?
>
> Any clues ? suggestions?
>
> ( I've made this pizza before without a problem )
> <rj>

I'd suspect the sauce; it might be a good idea to taste the sauce before you
add it next time.

Jack Sample

Mike Webster

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>>
>> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
>> Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
>> Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.
>>
>> Used tomato sauce
>> with garlic powder and oregano.
>> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
>> and
>> Lots of shredded mozzarella
>> It turned out looking beautiful.
>>
>> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
>> ????

> I have tried all kinds of tomato sauces for pizza. I think the
> best choice is an uncooked sauce made from peeled, seeded Roma
> tomatoes with a little garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and
> oregano. I find that canned tomato sauce gives unsatisfactory
> results similar to what you experienced.

Here's a recipe I found & used from allrecipes.com that was
surprisingly good ...

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
salt to taste

Mix it all together and let sit for half an hour for the flavors to
get together.

I used the anchovy paste and as per suggestions on the boards at
allrecipes, used half the honey. You could probably even use 1/3 as
it was still a hair too sweet, imo.

Mike

Greykits

:

>> "<RJ>" > wrote in message.
>>>
>>> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
>>> Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
>>> Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.
>>>
>>> Used tomato sauce
>>> with garlic powder and oregano.
>>> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
>>> and
>>> Lots of shredded mozzarella
>>> It turned out looking beautiful.
>>>
>>> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
>>> ????

>> I have tried all kinds of tomato sauces for pizza. I think the
>> best choice is an uncooked sauce made from peeled, seeded Roma
>> tomatoes with a little garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and
>> oregano. I find that canned tomato sauce gives unsatisfactory
>> results similar to what you experienced.

>Here's a recipe I found & used from allrecipes.com that was
>surprisingly good ...
>
>1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
>6 fluid ounces warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
>3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
>1 teaspoon minced garlic
>2 tablespoons honey
>1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
>3/4 teaspoon onion powder
>1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
>1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
>1/4 teaspoon dried basil
>1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
>1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
>salt to taste
>
>Mix it all together and let sit for half an hour for the flavors to
>get together.
>
>I used the anchovy paste and as per suggestions on the boards at
>allrecipes, used half the honey. You could probably even use 1/3 as
>it was still a hair too sweet, imo.
>
>Mike

I don't mind using tomato paste in pizzas, although some people don't like the
taste.
All I can say is that whenever I serve pizza to guests there is none left over.
I've tried using canned sauce but it seems diluted or something. Also, there
is so much salt in canned sauce and with the cheese and toppings, there is
already a lot of salt. I'm a little shy about anchovies so have never used
them.

I've been making pizzas since I was in my teens. I used to simmer a sauce for
hours, but the 6 oz. can of tomato paste mixed with water and maybe some wine
works well - I happen to like an intense tomato flavor. I've ordered some
pizzas before and had to ask, where's the sauce? I like to sprinkle the herbs
over the sauce.

There was a guy on PBS in the 80's, some sort of pizza chef. He gave me some
good ideas. He put the cornmeal on the greased pan, which I do. His dough
wasn't perfectly rolled out like a pie crust, and he didn't slather sauce on
all of the surface. He put a little cheese over the crust first, before all
the rest went on.

My pizzas tend to be deep dish, but now that I have a cookie sheet with the air
in the middle, I make one deep dish and one thin pie. Guess what's for dinner
tomorrow?
rharps.com
Mike Webster

ittens (Greykits) wrote in
:

> I've been making pizzas since I was in my teens. I used to simmer
> a sauce for hours, but the 6 oz. can of tomato paste mixed with
> water and maybe some wine works well - I happen to like an intense
> tomato flavor. I've ordered some pizzas before and had to ask,
> where's the sauce? I like to sprinkle the herbs over the sauce.
>
> There was a guy on PBS in the 80's, some sort of pizza chef. He
> gave me some good ideas. He put the cornmeal on the greased pan,
> which I do. His dough wasn't perfectly rolled out like a pie
> crust, and he didn't slather sauce on all of the surface. He put
> a little cheese over the crust first, before all the rest went on.
>
> My pizzas tend to be deep dish, but now that I have a cookie sheet
> with the air in the middle, I make one deep dish and one thin pie.
> Guess what's for dinner tomorrow?

We did pizza for New Year's and it was the first time I had made
"real" pizza. I did it on a pizza stone in a 515 degree oven (6:30-
7:30 minutes depending on the amount of toppings). I sufferred for not
having a pizza peel but I made do with the back of a non-stick baking
sheet and didn't mess up any of the pizzas *too* badly...

I also used a trick I had read about and got the dough from a local
pizzaria. The guy looked at me a bit funny when I asked, but was
pretty quick on his feet when he realized he could make some money (he
was one of the managers). I got 8 balls of dough for $2 each and they
were each big enough to make a 12-inch pie. I'd much rather do that
than actually have to make it ...

Mike
BOB

Mike Webster wrote:
> ittens (Greykits) wrote in
> :
>
>> I've been making pizzas since I was in my teens. I used to simmer
>> a sauce for hours, but the 6 oz. can of tomato paste mixed with
>> water and maybe some wine works well - I happen to like an intense
>> tomato flavor. I've ordered some pizzas before and had to ask,
>> where's the sauce? I like to sprinkle the herbs over the sauce.
>>
>> There was a guy on PBS in the 80's, some sort of pizza chef. He
>> gave me some good ideas. He put the cornmeal on the greased pan,
>> which I do. His dough wasn't perfectly rolled out like a pie
>> crust, and he didn't slather sauce on all of the surface. He put
>> a little cheese over the crust first, before all the rest went on.
>>
>> My pizzas tend to be deep dish, but now that I have a cookie sheet
>> with the air in the middle, I make one deep dish and one thin pie.
>> Guess what's for dinner tomorrow?

> We did pizza for New Year's and it was the first time I had made
> "real" pizza. I did it on a pizza stone in a 515 degree oven (6:30-
> 7:30 minutes depending on the amount of toppings). I sufferred for not
> having a pizza peel but I made do with the back of a non-stick baking
> sheet and didn't mess up any of the pizzas *too* badly...

Get a pizza screen. You'll never look back. You won't need the peel or the
cornmeal, but you can use the peel if you want to.

> I also used a trick I had read about and got the dough from a local
> pizzaria. The guy looked at me a bit funny when I asked, but was
> pretty quick on his feet when he realized he could make some money (he
> was one of the managers). I got 8 balls of dough for $2 each and they
> were each big enough to make a 12-inch pie. I'd much rather do that
> than actually have to make it ...
>
> Mike

Publix Supermarkets also sell pizza dough in the bakery department. It's
usually in the refrigerated case with the cheese cakes. The ball makes a couple
of 14" pies.

BOB

BOB

BOB wrote:
> Get a pizza screen. You'll never look back. You won't need the peel or the
> cornmeal, but you can use the peel if you want to.

OOPS!
Here's the URL for the pizza screens:
http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/pizza.html

Mike Webster

" BOB" > wrote in
:

> Mike Webster wrote:
>> ittens (Greykits) wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I've been making pizzas since I was in my teens. I used to
>>> simmer a sauce for hours, but the 6 oz. can of tomato paste
>>> mixed with water and maybe some wine works well - I happen to
>>> like an intense tomato flavor. I've ordered some pizzas before
>>> and had to ask, where's the sauce? I like to sprinkle the herbs
>>> over the sauce.
>>>
>>> There was a guy on PBS in the 80's, some sort of pizza chef. He
>>> gave me some good ideas. He put the cornmeal on the greased
>>> pan, which I do. His dough wasn't perfectly rolled out like a
>>> pie crust, and he didn't slather sauce on all of the surface.
>>> He put a little cheese over the crust first, before all the rest
>>> went on.
>>>
>>> My pizzas tend to be deep dish, but now that I have a cookie
>>> sheet with the air in the middle, I make one deep dish and one
>>> thin pie.
>>> Guess what's for dinner tomorrow?

>> We did pizza for New Year's and it was the first time I had made
>> "real" pizza. I did it on a pizza stone in a 515 degree oven
>> (6:30- 7:30 minutes depending on the amount of toppings). I
>> sufferred for not having a pizza peel but I made do with the back
>> of a non-stick baking sheet and didn't mess up any of the pizzas
>> *too* badly...

> Get a pizza screen. You'll never look back. You won't need the
> peel or the cornmeal, but you can use the peel if you want to.

Does it compare favorably? I would think that the intense heat of
the pizza stone as well as its ability to hold onto heat would
transfer heat over to the pizza better than the air (it's not a
convection oven after all). Is the time you cook / temperature you
cook at with one of these comparable?

Mike

PENMART01

> Mike Webster writes:
>
>" BOB" wrote:
>>
>> Get a pizza screen. You'll never look back.

>Does it compare favorably? I would think that the intense heat of
>the pizza stone as well as its ability to hold onto heat would
>transfer heat over to the pizza better than the air (it's not a
>convection oven after all).

What intense heat... the stone will never become hotter than the oven
temperature. Duh! Stone may hold heat but does not convect heat very well,
ergo placing a cold/raw pie directly on the stone will cool that area and since
air is blocked that area of the stone will not re-heat very well, and so
condensation will form, causing further cooling, and since even a standard oven
relies on convection, use of a stone will typically impede the ovens natural
convection capability. The ONLY thing(s) a so-called pizza stone can do is
wick some moisture from the underside of the crust (and supply a sturdy
platform onto place that which is to be baked), but at a cost to the oven's
overall baking ability (baking stones interfere with the oven's thermostat, and
placing a stone directly on the oven's bottom will damage the oven - and negate
the mfg warranty). Anyway, the holes in a baking screen negate any moisture
condensation, plus does not impede any of the oven's natural functions (and
sturdily supports that which is to be baked). Baking stones are a gimmick,
sold by greedy *******s, and purchased by dumb *******s with more dollars than
brain cells... if yoose want to bake on stone then buy a brick oven, but it is
not possible to convert an ordinary oven.

Pizza screens work just fine but I prefer the perforated metal pizza pans,
they're more sturdy, and a bit easier to clean. Chicago Metalic makes a nice
one... fits directly atop their deep-dish pizza pan, makes for easy serving...
and the set up keeps the crust crisp to the last bite (placing a hot pie
directly onto a non porous surface immediately begins to cause condensation,
making the crust soggy.... even pizza parlor pizza would benefit by being
served on the perforated pan atop a solid pan.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

BOB

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Mike Webster writes:
>>
>> " BOB" wrote:
>>>
>>> Get a pizza screen. You'll never look back.

>> Does it compare favorably? I would think that the intense heat of
>> the pizza stone as well as its ability to hold onto heat would
>> transfer heat over to the pizza better than the air (it's not a
>> convection oven after all).

> What intense heat... the stone will never become hotter than the oven
> temperature. Duh! Stone may hold heat but does not convect heat very well,
> ergo placing a cold/raw pie directly on the stone will cool that area and

since
> air is blocked that area of the stone will not re-heat very well, and so
> condensation will form, causing further cooling, and since even a standard

oven
> relies on convection, use of a stone will typically impede the ovens natural
> convection capability. The ONLY thing(s) a so-called pizza stone can do is
> wick some moisture from the underside of the crust (and supply a sturdy
> platform onto place that which is to be baked), but at a cost to the oven's
> overall baking ability (baking stones interfere with the oven's thermostat,

and
> placing a stone directly on the oven's bottom will damage the oven - and

negate
> the mfg warranty). Anyway, the holes in a baking screen negate any moisture
> condensation, plus does not impede any of the oven's natural functions (and
> sturdily supports that which is to be baked). Baking stones are a gimmick,
> sold by greedy *******s, and purchased by dumb *******s with more dollars than
> brain cells... if yoose want to bake on stone then buy a brick oven, but it is
> not possible to convert an ordinary oven.
>
> Pizza screens work just fine but I prefer the perforated metal pizza pans,
> they're more sturdy, and a bit easier to clean. Chicago Metalic makes a nice
> one... fits directly atop their deep-dish pizza pan, makes for easy serving...
> and the set up keeps the crust crisp to the last bite (placing a hot pie
> directly onto a non porous surface immediately begins to cause condensation,
> making the crust soggy.... even pizza parlor pizza would benefit by being
> served on the perforated pan atop a solid pan.

I ain't talkin' about using a pizza stone in an oven. It's a wood (well,
natural wood lump charcoal) burning ceramic "oven"

Get yer head outa yes farmin' ass and smell the pizza sauce.

BOB

BOB

Mike Webster wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Mike Webster wrote:
>>> We did pizza for New Year's and it was the first time I had made
>>> "real" pizza. I did it on a pizza stone in a 515 degree oven
>>> (6:30- 7:30 minutes depending on the amount of toppings). I
>>> sufferred for not having a pizza peel but I made do with the back
>>> of a non-stick baking sheet and didn't mess up any of the pizzas
>>> *too* badly...

>> Get a pizza screen. You'll never look back. You won't need the
>> peel or the cornmeal, but you can use the peel if you want to.

> Does it compare favorably? I would think that the intense heat of
> the pizza stone as well as its ability to hold onto heat would
> transfer heat over to the pizza better than the air (it's not a
> convection oven after all). Is the time you cook / temperature you
> cook at with one of these comparable?
>
> Mike

No stick, you can use the peel if you want, or not.
It's not thick enough to allow any real amount of air between the stone and the
pizza, just a convenience.

BOB

PENMART01

> " BOOB-*******" BUTTS:
>
>PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>>> Mike Webster writes:
>>>
>>> " BOOB-*******" scrawls:

>>> Does it compare favorably? I would think that the intense heat of
>>> the pizza stone as well as its ability to hold onto heat would
>>> transfer heat over to the pizza better than the air (it's not a
>>> convection oven after all).

>> What intense heat... the stone will never become hotter than the oven
>> temperature. Duh! Stone may hold heat but does not convect heat very well,
>> ergo placing a cold/raw pie directly on the stone will cool that area and

>since
>> air is blocked that area of the stone will not re-heat very well, and so
>> condensation will form, causing further cooling, and since even a standard

>oven
>> relies on convection, use of a stone will typically impede the ovens

>natural
>> convection capability. The ONLY thing(s) a so-called pizza stone can do is
>> wick some moisture from the underside of the crust (and supply a sturdy
>> platform onto place that which is to be baked), but at a cost to the oven's
>> overall baking ability (baking stones interfere with the oven's thermostat,

>and
>> placing a stone directly on the oven's bottom will damage the oven - and

>negate
>> the mfg warranty). Anyway, the holes in a baking screen negate any

>moisture
>> condensation, plus does not impede any of the oven's natural functions (and
>> sturdily supports that which is to be baked). Baking stones are a gimmick,
>> sold by greedy *******s, and purchased by dumb *******s with more dollars

>than
>> brain cells... if yoose want to bake on stone then buy a brick oven, but it

>is
>> not possible to convert an ordinary oven.
>>
>> Pizza screens work just fine but I prefer the perforated metal pizza pans,
>> they're more sturdy, and a bit easier to clean. Chicago Metalic makes a

>nice
>> one... fits directly atop their deep-dish pizza pan, makes for easy

>serving...
>> and the set up keeps the crust crisp to the last bite (placing a hot pie
>> directly onto a non porous surface immediately begins to cause

>condensation,
>> making the crust soggy.... even pizza parlor pizza would benefit by being
>> served on the perforated pan atop a solid pan.
>>

>I ain't talkin' about using a pizza stone in an oven. It's a wood (well,
>natural wood lump charcoal) burning ceramic "oven"

Stone still won't get hotter than the surrounding atmosphere, dumb shit.

Not speaking to you, **** face. Are you Mike Webster... of course not...
you're that "BOOB-*******", the ILLITERATE NEWBIE douche bag.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Chris and Bob Neidecker

Did you simmer the tomato sauce with the spices for a bit? Sometimes doing
that and adding a pinch of sugar can help a whole lot, in my experience.

Maybe it was just a bum can, who knows. '

CHris

Dee Randall

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
> Had the bread machine whip up a batch of dough
> Put it in a 9 x 13 lasagna pan.
>
> Used tomato sauce
> with garlic powder and oregano.
> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
> and
> Lots of shredded mozzarella
> It turned out looking beautiful.
>
> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
> ????
>
> I don't understand it.
> I've tasted the garlic powder, the oregano,
> and there's nothing unusual.
> Could I have gotten a can of bitter tomato sauce ?
> Maybe the shredded cheddar reacted funny ?
>
> Any clues ? suggestions?
>
> ( I've made this pizza before without a problem )
> <rj>

Tyler Florence used this simple recipe on one of his December 2003 911 TV
shows; I tried it, I like it because it is quick and simple. He says the
marjoram makes a difference -- instead of using oregano.

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree

1 teaspoon dried marjoram

1 teaspoon dried basil

Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Over medium heat, heat oil in a saucepan until hot. Add all ingredients,
cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and allow to simmer for 30
minutes.

Dee

PENMART01

> "Dee Randall" flubs:
>
>"<RJ>" wrote:
>>
>> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
>> Used tomato sauce
>> with garlic powder and oregano.
>> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
>> and
>> Lots of shredded mozzarella
>> It turned out looking beautiful.
>> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
>> ????

Don't do that, use canned whole tomatoes, broken by hand... do NOT pre-cook!

>I tried it, I like it because it is quick and simple.

Like you.

>2 tablespoons olive oil
>1 garlic clove, crushed
>1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
>1 teaspoon dried marjoram
>1 teaspoon dried basil
>Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
>Over medium heat, heat oil in a saucepan until hot. Add all ingredients,
>cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and allow to simmer for 30
>minutes.

That's dumb... do you not think the sauce will cook while the pizza is baking
in a HOT oven? duh

If a cooked sauce is used for pizza it will have reduced and have become
somewhat caramelized... then when it bakes in a hot oven it will burn and
become bitter... do NOT use cooked sauce for pizza!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Dee Randall

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Dee Randall" flubs:
> >
> >"<RJ>" wrote:
> >>
> >> I made a deep dish pizza yesterday.
> >> Used tomato sauce
> >> with garlic powder and oregano.
> >> Sprinkle of shredded cheddar
> >> and
> >> Lots of shredded mozzarella
> >> It turned out looking beautiful.
> >> But the tomato sauce layer was bitter.
> >> ????
> >>

> Don't do that, use canned whole tomatoes, broken by hand... do NOT

pre-cook!

> >I tried it, I like it because it is quick and simple.

> Like you.
>
> >2 tablespoons olive oil
> >1 garlic clove, crushed
> >1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
> >1 teaspoon dried marjoram
> >1 teaspoon dried basil
> >Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
> >Over medium heat, heat oil in a saucepan until hot. Add all ingredients,
> >cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and allow to simmer for 30
> >minutes.

> That's dumb... do you not think the sauce will cook while the pizza is

baking
> in a HOT oven? duh
>
> If a cooked sauce is used for pizza it will have reduced and have become
> somewhat caramelized... then when it bakes in a hot oven it will burn and
> become bitter... do NOT use cooked sauce for pizza!

I saw a cook on tv doing what you are saying the other day - not cooking
the tomatoes; I forget what he used in addition to the tomatoes on the
pizza. Actually I think that is a very good idea for a fresher tasing
pizza.

What in addition to the canned tomatoes do you use for your pizza -- I'm not
talking about a "loaded-up" pizza -- but, the standard tomatoes+ingredients.

Thanks,
Not a dummy and always willing to listen to reasonable people,
Dee

PENMART01

> "Dee Randall" writes:
>
>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>
>> If a cooked sauce is used for pizza it will have reduced and have become
>> somewhat caramelized... then when it bakes in a hot oven it will burn and
>> become bitter... do NOT use cooked sauce for pizza!
>>

> I saw a cook on tv doing what you are saying the other day - not cooking
>the tomatoes; I forget what he used in addition to the tomatoes on the
>pizza. Actually I think that is a very good idea for a fresher tasing
>pizza.
>
>What in addition to the canned tomatoes do you use for your pizza [sauce]?

Pizza Sauce
Canned whole tomatoes packed in puree, hand crushed.
Black Pepper, fresh ground
Oregano, dried
Garlic, granuals
Red pepper flakes
Pure olive oil (opt)
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

cristina

Dee Randall wrote:>
> What in addition to the canned tomatoes do you use for your pizza --
> I'm not talking about a "loaded-up" pizza -- but, the standard
> tomatoes+ingredients.

In Italy we just crush up canned tomatoes, add a pinch of sugar, some salt
and pepper and some basil or oregano if we feel like it. Then we only put a
light coating of it on the base. Really makes a huge difference in the
flavors. We also do a lot of pizza with sliced tomatoes and fresh
mozzarella, a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and papper. Nothing else.
Or you could always go with what we call ciaccino here, just the pizza base
with toppings no sauce.

Cristina
--
Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy
http://www.cristinasweb.com