Paul M. Cook©®

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> ScratchMonkey wrote:
>
> > Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part

is
> > probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a

difficult
> > step.

> It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I

wouldn't
> call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
> difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
> made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it

is
> hardly worth it.
>
> > I'll have to try the cornmeal. Is it anything like "Cream of Wheat"
> > pancakes? (IHOP sells these as "Country Griddle Cakes".) I've loved

those
> > since I was a kid.

> I don't think I would want to try pancakes made with cornmeal in them

unless
> it had been precooked. You can put cooked grits or polenta into a pan and
> allow it to set, and then cut out slices of it to be fried like a pancake.

Try it - it's great and the cakes are not at all gritty. I got turned on to
the cornmean thing when I was eating at a diner in my college town. I asked
what made the pancakes so rich and the waitress said cornmeal.

Paul

The Cook

Dave Smith > wrote:

>> >It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
>> >call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
>> >difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
>> >made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
>> >hardly worth it.

>> The recipes I have seen for pancakes calls for liquid shortening.
>> Melting butter and stirring it in is not too much work is it?

>Right you are. I usually use vegetable oil or melted butter but have seen recipes that call for
>melted shortening. Any time I see that I usually use oil instead. However, the previous two
>posts in the threat were referring to biscuits. I always make them from scratch, never from a
>mix, and my favourite recipe advises to cut in the shortening until the pieces are pea sized. I
>have a server size 4 prong fork kitchen fork that I use for cutting in the shortening. It takes
>less than a minute and I consider that time and energy well spent for superlative results.

I saw no references to biscuits in either of the preceding messages.
Maybe it is somewhere else.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Darryl L. Pierce

ScratchMonkey wrote:

>>> Your book is bogus. Bisquick makes the best pancakes for the $.

>> Bleh!
>>
>> Try making them fresh - it's haredly any more work and the pancakes
>> are so much better. Add a touch of cornmeal, about 2 tablespoons,
>> and you'll really have a taste treat that Bisquick can't touch.

> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
> step.

I've _never_ used shortening in pancakes.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce >
Darryl L. Pierce

Grismalkin wrote:

> The first pancake or crepe never comes out right. There is some sort of
> natural law about this.

I've seen where people have said that maybe there's too much oil on the
cooking surface. If that's the case *wipe it off*. Why let a pancake go to
waste when you could easily remove the problem? I fry with either Pam or
butter (depending on how health conscious I feel that day <g>) and in both
cases I don't put or leave so much on that I end up deep frying the 'cakes,
and they all come out consistent.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce >
* @see The Infobahn Offramp <http://mcpierce.mypage.org>
* @quote "Lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby..." - Adrian Monk
*/
Doug Weller

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:21:05 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> And for goodness sake, do
> yourself a favour and get rid of the mix. Pancakes are very simple to
> make and use pantry staples, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, egg
> and oil or melted butter. Even better are buttermilk pancakes.

Some mixes use ingredients, esp. flours, I either can't get or can't buy
economically. I'm not thinking of Aunt Jemima, but say of some of the King
Arthur Flour ones, Heidi's Pancakes, etc.

Doug

Doug Weller

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:53:00 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't think I would want to try pancakes made with cornmeal in them unless
> it had been precooked. You can put cooked grits or polenta into a pan and
> allow it to set, and then cut out slices of it to be fried like a pancake.

Precook cornmeal? Do you do that before making cornbread?

There's no need to precook cornmeal before adding it to pancakes.

Cornmeal Blueberry Pancakes
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
1 cup fresh blueberries -- or frozen, thawed
and drained
nonstick vegetable oil spray or melted
butter for griddle
sour cream
blueberry jam or blueberry
OR maple syrup

Preparation:

Stir flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cornmeal in large
bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk and 2 tablespoons butter in medium bowl to
blend. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until blended (batter will be
slightly lumpy). Fold in blueberries. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Heat
griddle over medium heat. Spray with vegetable oil spray or brush lightly
with melted butter. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until
bubbles on top begin to burst and bottom is golden brown. Turn pancake over
and cook until golden brown. Transfer pancakes to platter. Place in oven to
keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with sour cream and
blueberry jam or syrup. these pancakes adds both a wonderful flavor and
texture.

Doug
ScratchMonkey

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in

>> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard
>> part is probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves
>> a difficult step.

> I've _never_ used shortening in pancakes.

Ah, ok. It's just that Bisquick was a staple in my house since I was a whee
kid in the 60's, and my dad made waffles and pancakes with it. Old habits
die hard, esp. the ones you learn from your parents when very young.
ScratchMonkey

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in

>> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard
>> part is probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves
>> a difficult step.

> I've _never_ used shortening in pancakes.

Ah, ok. It's just that Bisquick was a staple in my house since I was a whee
kid in the 60's, and my dad made waffles and pancakes with it. Old habits
die hard, esp. the ones you learn from your parents when very young.
Darryl L. Pierce

ScratchMonkey wrote:

>>> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard
>>> part is probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves
>>> a difficult step.

>> I've _never_ used shortening in pancakes.

> Ah, ok. It's just that Bisquick was a staple in my house since I was a
> whee kid in the 60's, and my dad made waffles and pancakes with it. Old
> habits die hard, esp. the ones you learn from your parents when very
> young.

Hey, I'm not above it meself. My ma used Bisquick too, though she used to
make almost everything from scratch. My wife uses Bisquick for everything
too; I'm the only purist in the house.

When I was a kid my first pancakes that I made were from Bisquick, but I
always threw an extra egg into the mix for taste. Then I'd put two eggs,
over medium, on top, cover with syrup, break the yolks and eat the pancakes
with the syrup/yolk mixture on top. I still love egg yolks on my
pancakes... Mmmmm.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce >
* @see The Infobahn Offramp <http://mcpierce.mypage.org>
* @quote "Lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby..." - Adrian Monk
*/
ScratchMonkey

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in

> Then I'd put two eggs,
> over medium, on top, cover with syrup, break the yolks and eat the
> pancakes with the syrup/yolk mixture on top. I still love egg yolks on
> my pancakes... Mmmmm

Not with syrup, but otherwise sounds good. But my mom always put poached
eggs on toast. Dipping toast in the liquid yolk was our thing.

Nowadays I mostly eat eggs scrambled with lots of extra sharp cheddar and
Frank's hot sauce. My yolk addiction is occasionally served by deviled
eggs. I grab the ones with the most yolk mixture in them.

Darryl L. Pierce

ScratchMonkey wrote:

>> Then I'd put two eggs,
>> over medium, on top, cover with syrup, break the yolks and eat the
>> pancakes with the syrup/yolk mixture on top. I still love egg yolks on
>> my pancakes... Mmmmm

> Not with syrup, but otherwise sounds good. But my mom always put poached
> eggs on toast. Dipping toast in the liquid yolk was our thing.

I could make a breakfast of 5 fried eggs and 4 pieces of toast when I was a
teen. Ah, them was the days...

> Nowadays I mostly eat eggs scrambled with lots of extra sharp cheddar and
> Frank's hot sauce. My yolk addiction is occasionally served by deviled
> eggs. I grab the ones with the most yolk mixture in them.

For me I have boiled eggs with breakfast (yoghurt, toast, one fruit) when I
have it by itself. Otherwise, I have them with pancakes or waffles on the
weekends.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce >
* @see The Infobahn Offramp <http://mcpierce.mypage.org>
* @quote "Lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby, lobby..." - Adrian Monk
*/

Getting Old... Want to End it Before I Get Ugly. Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 31-05-2016 01:51 PM
The Ugly Truth Somebody General Cooking 2 06-10-2012 09:24 AM
Favorite pancake mix? Favorite pancake fruit addition? Evette General Cooking 59 24-09-2009 11:56 PM
Why is Sencha so ugly Space Cowboy Tea 2 15-06-2009 05:07 PM
Original Pancake House Apple Pancake A D [[email protected]] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-10-2006 01:52 AM