A. Toprak

Default Turkish Green Bean "Salad"

"Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
> There are variations on this dish, but this is a good, solid recipe.
>
> Turkish Green Beans in Olive Oil - Zeytinyali Yesil Fasulye
>
> 2 1/4 lbs. green beans, Flat or Blue Lake

The best beans for this is what we call "Italian beans" here in
California.

> 1 cup olive oil
> 3 large onions, chopped

I would use medium onions here in the US. Large onions here very very
large by Turkish standards.

> 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
> 5 - 6 cups water
> 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
> Squeeze of lemon to taste
>
> Clean and trim beans, and set aside. Sauté onions, chopped tomatoes, and
> salt in one cup olive oil until onions are soft. Add the green beans,
> lower heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,
> until beans change color. Add water, bring to a boil, lower heat and
> simmer until green beans are tender. Squeeze lemon (to taste) into dish
> and stir well. Cool and pour into serving dish. Serve cold or at room
> temperature.
>
> Sometimes I like to drizzle a little olive oil over the top before
> serving.

One way of expediting the process, especially greeen beans are not in
season, is to use "french cut" frozen beans.

Ahmet Toprak
http://www.kkup.org/toprak.html

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at .
Archives:

A. Toprak

"Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
> There are variations on this dish, but this is a good, solid recipe.
>
> Turkish Green Beans in Olive Oil - Zeytinyali Yesil Fasulye
>
> 2 1/4 lbs. green beans, Flat or Blue Lake

The best beans for this is what we call "Italian beans" here in
California.

> 1 cup olive oil
> 3 large onions, chopped

I would use medium onions here in the US. Large onions here very very
large by Turkish standards.

> 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
> 5 - 6 cups water
> 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
> Squeeze of lemon to taste
>
> Clean and trim beans, and set aside. Sauté onions, chopped tomatoes, and
> salt in one cup olive oil until onions are soft. Add the green beans,
> lower heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,
> until beans change color. Add water, bring to a boil, lower heat and
> simmer until green beans are tender. Squeeze lemon (to taste) into dish
> and stir well. Cool and pour into serving dish. Serve cold or at room
> temperature.
>
> Sometimes I like to drizzle a little olive oil over the top before
> serving.

One way of expediting the process, especially greeen beans are not in
season, is to use "french cut" frozen beans.

Ahmet Toprak
http://www.kkup.org/toprak.html

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at .
Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

A. Toprak

"Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
> There are variations on this dish, but this is a good, solid recipe.
>
> Turkish Green Beans in Olive Oil - Zeytinyali Yesil Fasulye
>
> 2 1/4 lbs. green beans, Flat or Blue Lake

The best beans for this is what we call "Italian beans" here in
California.

> 1 cup olive oil
> 3 large onions, chopped

I would use medium onions here in the US. Large onions here very very
large by Turkish standards.

> 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
> 5 - 6 cups water
> 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
> Squeeze of lemon to taste
>
> Clean and trim beans, and set aside. Sauté onions, chopped tomatoes, and
> salt in one cup olive oil until onions are soft. Add the green beans,
> lower heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,
> until beans change color. Add water, bring to a boil, lower heat and
> simmer until green beans are tender. Squeeze lemon (to taste) into dish
> and stir well. Cool and pour into serving dish. Serve cold or at room
> temperature.
>
> Sometimes I like to drizzle a little olive oil over the top before
> serving.

One way of expediting the process, especially greeen beans are not in
season, is to use "french cut" frozen beans.

Ahmet Toprak
http://www.kkup.org/toprak.html

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at .
Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

Charles Gifford

"A. Toprak" > wrote in message
om...
> "Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
> > There are variations on this dish, but this is a good, solid recipe.
> >
> > Turkish Green Beans in Olive Oil - Zeytinyali Yesil Fasulye
> >
> > 2 1/4 lbs. green beans, Flat or Blue Lake

> The best beans for this is what we call "Italian beans" here in
> California.

Perhaps what you call them. I've never heard any bean called "Italian beans"
in California.

> > 1 cup olive oil
> > 3 large onions, chopped

> I would use medium onions here in the US. Large onions here very very
> large by Turkish standards.

Another very generalized statement. In your experience this might be true,
but not for everyone.

> One way of expediting the process, especially greeen beans are not in
> season, is to use "french cut" frozen beans.

French cut? Seems rather a odd choice for this recipe.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"A. Toprak" > wrote in message
om...
> "Judy Bolton" > wrote in message
> > There are variations on this dish, but this is a good, solid recipe.
> >
> > Turkish Green Beans in Olive Oil - Zeytinyali Yesil Fasulye
> >
> > 2 1/4 lbs. green beans, Flat or Blue Lake

> The best beans for this is what we call "Italian beans" here in
> California.

Perhaps what you call them. I've never heard any bean called "Italian beans"
in California.

> > 1 cup olive oil
> > 3 large onions, chopped

> I would use medium onions here in the US. Large onions here very very
> large by Turkish standards.

Another very generalized statement. In your experience this might be true,
but not for everyone.

> One way of expediting the process, especially greeen beans are not in
> season, is to use "french cut" frozen beans.

French cut? Seems rather a odd choice for this recipe.

Charlie

Christine Dabney

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:59:07 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>Perhaps what you call them. I've never heard any bean called "Italian beans"
>in California.

I have seen them described that way in some farmers markets. Usually
as romano beans,but occasionally as Italian beans. I have been to a
lot of farmers markets in CA..

Christine
Charles Gifford

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:59:07 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> >Perhaps what you call them. I've never heard any bean called "Italian

beans"
> >in California.

> I have seen them described that way in some farmers markets. Usually
> as romano beans,but occasionally as Italian beans. I have been to a
> lot of farmers markets in CA..
>
> Christine

Must be something rather new Christine. I probably should get out more!

Charlie

Charles Gifford