FoodBanter.com

-   -   Whole Mace or Ground Mace?? Help! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/36366-whole-mace-ground-mace.html)

Matthew Givens 25-09-2004 09:57 PM

Whole Mace or Ground Mace?? Help!

Okay, I have a recipe that calls for one whole mace, except none of the
stores around here have that in stock. I have GROUND mace, but don't know
if I can use that in place of a whole mace, or how much to use.

Can anyone help? The recipe is for a soup stock. Any help is appreciated.

Matthew in Montgomery

notbob 26-09-2004 01:05 AM

On 2004-09-25, Matthew Givens > wrote:
> Okay, I have a recipe that calls for one whole mace, except none of the
> stores around here have that in stock. I have GROUND mace, but don't know
> if I can use that in place of a whole mace....

There is no such thing as "one whole mace". See this:

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=8220

Wayne 26-09-2004 03:06 AM

notbob > wrote in

> On 2004-09-25, Matthew Givens > wrote:
>> Okay, I have a recipe that calls for one whole mace, except none of
>> the stores around here have that in stock. I have GROUND mace, but
>> don't know if I can use that in place of a whole mace....

> There is no such thing as "one whole mace". See this:

If that's what the recipe said, I'm sure the author meant one whole
"blade" of mace. This designation is common in older recipes.

I have bought "blade mace" from Penzey's to use in preserving and
pickling. While it doesn't appear like "1 whole nutmeg", it does indeed
come in pieces that can be referred to as 1 "piece" or 1 blade, assuming
"whole".

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysmace.html

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne 26-09-2004 03:06 AM

notbob > wrote in

zxcvbob 26-09-2004 06:03 AM

Matthew Givens wrote:

> Okay, I have a recipe that calls for one whole mace, except none of the
> stores around here have that in stock. I have GROUND mace, but don't know
> if I can use that in place of a whole mace, or how much to use.
>
> Can anyone help? The recipe is for a soup stock. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Matthew in Montgomery

Without seeing the recipe, I would say ground mace should work. It's
pretty strong, so start with 1/8 tsp. and add more to taste.

Bob

zxcvbob 26-09-2004 06:03 AM

David Hare-Scott 26-09-2004 08:26 AM

:
: Can anyone help? The recipe is for a soup stock. Any help is
appreciated.
:
: Matthew in Montgomery
:
:
:

If the ground stuff is fresh use about 1/4 teaspoon and it will be fine
instead of a "whole" aril. The trouble is that ground spices lose their
flavour quite quickly.

David

Matthew Givens 27-09-2004 05:09 AM

I used midway between 1/8 and 1/4 of a tsp, and it seemed to work fine. The
stock tasted great, and I'm happy with the translation.

Thanks for the info...

Matthew Givens 27-09-2004 05:09 AM

Matthew Givens 27-09-2004 05:09 AM

Greg Zywicki 27-09-2004 04:00 PM

Any other suggestions for what to do with whole Mace? I have some (if
you're in Jamaica, you can get tourist packs of whole spices that have
whole nutmegs with mace.)

Greg Zywicki

PENMART01 27-09-2004 08:09 PM

>(Greg Zywicki)
>
>Any other suggestions for what to do with whole Mace?

The same thing that's done with other whole spices, grind em for use in recipes
calling for ground mace.

Blade mace is often used as part of a bouquet garni in stocks but for those who
desire full potency in say baked goods they grind the blades just before use.
Blade mace stays potent just about forever but once ground fades quite rapidly.
I don't use mace all that often so I keep only blade mace; I use a bit whole
in chicken stock and grind a bit as needed for some baked goods. Mace is a
comparatively costly spice so I find it silly to buy it ground and then not use
it all for years... and I'd never even consider buying ground mace or any of
the ground baking spices/blends from the stupidmarket.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon