FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pickled Shrimp? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/35973-pickled-shrimp.html)

Bubba 22-09-2004 04:14 PM

Pickled Shrimp?

A couple of months ago, I boiled some 30-count shrimp (zatarains, salt,
lemon and cayenne) and put them in them (shell and all) in the juice from a
jar of claussens pickles. After marinating overnight, they tasted pretty
darned good. Now I'm thinking of trying to can a couple of pounds in a dill
pickle brine. Any ideas - - pro or con - - on this?

Guppy21014 23-09-2004 02:53 AM

Page 358 The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich Great sounding recipe and
sounds just what youare looking for!

Mike Van Pelt 23-09-2004 10:33 AM

In article >,
Bubba > wrote:
>A couple of months ago, I boiled some 30-count shrimp (zatarains, salt,
>lemon and cayenne) and put them in them (shell and all) in the juice from a
>jar of claussens pickles. After marinating overnight, they tasted pretty
>darned good. Now I'm thinking of trying to can a couple of pounds in a dill
>pickle brine. Any ideas - - pro or con - - on this?

Mmmmm, pickled shrimp. Here's my mother's recipe:

2 lbs cooked and peeled shrimp
2 medium white onions, sliced
1.5 cups vegetable oil
1.5 cups white vinegar
.5 cups sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp celery seed
4 Tb. capers with juice.
(I usually just dump in a whole jar of
approximately the correct size.)

Mix it all together, let marinate for 24 hours.

Seriously good!
--
Yes, I am the last man to have walked on the moon, | Mike Van Pelt
and that's a very dubious and disappointing honor. | mvp.at.calweb.com

kilikini 23-09-2004 10:40 AM

"Mike Van Pelt" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bubba > wrote:
> >A couple of months ago, I boiled some 30-count shrimp (zatarains, salt,
> >lemon and cayenne) and put them in them (shell and all) in the juice from

> >jar of claussens pickles. After marinating overnight, they tasted pretty
> >darned good. Now I'm thinking of trying to can a couple of pounds in a

dill
> >pickle brine. Any ideas - - pro or con - - on this?

> Mmmmm, pickled shrimp. Here's my mother's recipe:
>
> 2 lbs cooked and peeled shrimp
> 2 medium white onions, sliced
> 1.5 cups vegetable oil
> 1.5 cups white vinegar
> .5 cups sugar
> 1.5 tsp salt
> 1.5 tsp celery seed
> 4 Tb. capers with juice.
> (I usually just dump in a whole jar of
> approximately the correct size.)
>
> Mix it all together, let marinate for 24 hours.
>
> Seriously good!
> --
> Yes, I am the last man to have walked on the moon, | Mike Van Pelt
> and that's a very dubious and disappointing honor. | mvp.at.calweb.com
> It's been far too long. -- Gene Cernan | KE6BVH

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a real thing as pickled shrimp! I
would think even the stronger, fishy ones would work in this recipe (ocean
garden). I wouldn't waste it on the Tiger shrimp.

kili