chet

Default looking for a Bourbon chicken recipe

I have been down to the King of Prussia Mall in PA, they have a food
court there and this oriental stand has what they call Bourbon Chicken,
it looks to be a baked small pcs of chicken is a browm liquidy bourbon
sauce that is out of this world. anyone ever come accross a recipe of
this type done up with chicken.

Chet

Rick & Cyndi

"chet" > wrote in message
: I have been down to the King of Prussia Mall in PA, they have a
food
: court there and this oriental stand has what they call Bourbon
Chicken,
: it looks to be a baked small pcs of chicken is a browm liquidy
bourbon
: sauce that is out of this world. anyone ever come accross a
recipe of
: this type done up with chicken.
:
: Chet
: =========

Yep. My recipe is for Cornish Hens but you could easily swap out
the hens for chicken. This comes from "That Special Touch" It's
a cookbook of recipes using Maker's Mark bourbon and written by
Sandra Davis.

6 (1 #) Cornish Hens
Salt & Pepper for seasoning
1/2 c Butter, melted
1/4 c Honey
1/2 c Maker's Mark (fabulous Kentucky bourbon)

Remove giblets from hens and reserve for another use. Rinse hens
with cold water, pat dry. Sprinkle cavity of each with salt and
pepper.

Place hens, breast side up in shallow baking pan; use 1/4 cup
melted butter for the first basting of hens; bake at 350 F. for
1 - 1 1/2 hours (test for doneness.)

Combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter, honey and bourbon; brush on
hens every 15 minutes of cooking time until hens are tender.

The recipe continues where it gives the details of Cranberry
Pecan Stuffing that is recommended to serve with the above
Cornish Hens.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Thalocean2

> You might want to try a standard recipe and then,
>if you think it needs goosing up, experiment with adding brown sugar or even
>that bottled jack daniels barbecue sauce.
>Naomi D.

Have you ever really tasted that bottled JD sauce? Yuck.

I too would like a GOOD and TRIED by a human being with a sense of taste
Bourbon Chicken recipe. Maybe a knock off of Golden Coral?

Laura B.
Thalocean2

>Well, please keep in mind that the OP was asking about how to duplicate
>"bourbon chicken" sold in malls. I have tasted that bourbon chicken and I
>think
>it's chock-a-block with things you wouldn't use at home.

>Naomi D.

I realize that. I just thought I'd take advantage of the thread hoping to get
a good recipe. Maybe if we just keep the thread going someone will post one?
;-)

Laura B.

Nancree

> I just thought I'd take advantage of the thread hoping to get
>a good recipe. Maybe if we just keep the thread going someone will post one?
>;-)
>
>Laura B.

-----------------------------------
Hi ! Do you know how to use Google? It is full of bourbon chicken
recipes--just type in the Search Box.I did it for you this time, (smile);
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...urbon+chicken&
btnG=Google+Search

cc

Default Looking for recipes

Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
has used and knows tastes good?

What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
not knowing which one to try?

Nancy Young

cc wrote:

> Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
> group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
> that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
> has used and knows tastes good?
>
> What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
> not knowing which one to try?

Well, if you google on rec.food.cooking, you will generally find
recipes people have posted here. Recipes they have tried. Sometimes
people ask for the same recipe over and over and people get tired
of answering the same question.

nancy
Peter Aitken

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> cc wrote:
> >
> > Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
> > group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
> > that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
> > has used and knows tastes good?
> >
> > What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
> > not knowing which one to try?

> Well, if you google on rec.food.cooking, you will generally find
> recipes people have posted here. Recipes they have tried. Sometimes
> people ask for the same recipe over and over and people get tired
> of answering the same question.
>
> nancy

Than don't answer.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > cc wrote:
> > >
> > > Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
> > > group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
> > > that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
> > > has used and knows tastes good?
> > >
> > > What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
> > > not knowing which one to try?

> > Well, if you google on rec.food.cooking, you will generally find
> > recipes people have posted here. Recipes they have tried. Sometimes
> > people ask for the same recipe over and over and people get tired
> > of answering the same question.
> >
> > nancy

> Than don't answer.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Don't look at me, I've never told anyone to google.

nancy
John Gaughan

When someone asks for a recipe that I don't have, I generally Google
this group and post the result link. Google is not the answer to all
questions. First you need a suitable search string. Sometimes you need
to get the wording just right because it will return a lot of "bad"
results. Not everyone knows how to encourage Google to leave out
irrelevant links by using (or not using) specific words. Rather than say
"use Google, leave me alone" I try to be a little more helpful.

I know you don't do this, I am just replying to the thread in general.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Jack Schidt®

"cc" > wrote in message

> Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
> group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
> that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
> has used and knows tastes good?
>
> What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
> not knowing which one to try?

It's in the wording of the question. If someone asks simply 'got a recipe
for [your dish here]?, they're more likely to get the surly google eye from
most here. The same question, better phrased as 'there are hundreds of
recipes for [your dish here]; what have you tried and what do you like about
it?' would fetch better response. Or something like that. Just asking the
first example doesn't imply any 'homework' done on the part of the
questioning poster.

Most of the time it's some lazy, just lie there in bed kinda bozo who just
wants to push a button and have everyone else do the work. Hence the surl.
Me, if I give em a recipe, I usually double the salt ;-P

Jack Surlytable

Julia Altshuler

cc wrote:
> Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
> group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
> that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
> has used and knows tastes good?
>
> What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
> not knowing which one to try?

About the same as asking on a newsgroup, getting a dozen recipes and
STILL not knowing which one to try.

I'm interested in tweaking recipes. Someone will say something to the
effect of "I tried this, but it came out too that; what should I do?"

I like recipes with a personal touch, some note along the lines of "my
family likes this recipe because it satisfies my son's desire for
something vegetarian and my daughter's sweet tooth," or a note about how
a meal can be made easier to clean up after or something about what can
be done ahead of time or how to make a nice presentation or how to
transport it to a potluck. As far as I'm concerned, that's usenet's
forte, not just copying down a bunch of recipes. For that reason, I
like questions that ask "what fits this category that's fast (or
inexpensive or uses up certain extra ingredients).

--Lia

Paul O'Neill

Okay, I took the Google suggestion one step further, and added '+ Shopping
Mall' to the search string. The following recipe, untried by me, popped up.
I hope this helps. I'm certainly going to try it!

Paul in Massachusetts

* * * * *

Cook's Corner, from The Miami Herald (Posted on Thu, Jan. 01, 2004)

Q: I would like to have a recipe for bourbon chicken like you get at the
mall, preferably in time for a Mardi Gras party.

from Lucy, via e-mail

A: We get requests for a copy-cat bourbon chicken recipe all the time. I've
tried a few of the many versions on the Internet, but have found the bourbon
taste too pronounced.

Some recipes say bourbon doesn't even belong in the recipe and that the
title refers to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I'm partial to that theory
since I can't imagine fast-food restaurants using an expensive ingredient
like bourbon.

At any rate, after much experimentation, I've come up with a recipe that
pleases my bourbon-chicken loving son. You can easily multiply the recipe to
serve a crowd.

Recipe follows, below.

* * * * *

Bourbon Chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, or 8 skinless, boneless chicken
thighs (1 to 1 ¼ pounds total)
1/3 cup soy sauce
½ medium onion, chopped very fine
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup bourbon or to taste
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Dice chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a single layer in a glass
baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, onion, brown sugar,
bourbon, garlic and ginger. Pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate at
least 6 hours and preferably overnight, turning chicken several times.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover pan and bake chicken, basting with pan
juices several times, for 1 hour, until meat is cooked through and nicely
browned. Serve with rice. Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 291 calories (5 percent from fat), 1.5 g fat (0.4 g saturated,
0.4 g monounsaturated), 68.4 mg cholesterol, 29.7 g protein, 30.3 g
carbohydrates, 0.5 g fiber, 1,276 mg sodium.

"Thalocean2" > wrote in message
> > You might want to try a standard recipe and then,
> >if you think it needs goosing up, experiment with adding brown sugar or

even
> >that bottled jack daniels barbecue sauce.
> >Naomi D.

> Have you ever really tasted that bottled JD sauce? Yuck.
>
> I too would like a GOOD and TRIED by a human being with a sense of taste
> Bourbon Chicken recipe. Maybe a knock off of Golden Coral?
>
> Laura B.

Paul O'Neill

Let me add this to my own posting:

Whenever I have seen this popular dish prepared in shopping mall
food courts, I noticed that the cook takes out a pre-packaged
portion of marinated chicken bits, marinade, etc., in a single
zip-lock type baggie. She or he then empty the serving into a
very hot wok or griddle and proceeds to stir-fry the living Christ
out of it, browning it and allowing it just enough time to sizzle
the juices down to a thick glop and cooking the chicken bits
completely through (I hope!) So, I'd say dice the chicken into
bits that are small enough to cook thoroughly in a few minutes
in a stir-fry environment.

The recipe I found and posted calls for the mixture to be
baked, but I'd be more inclined to use it as a jumping-off
spot and chuck it into a hot wok.

Hey, it's a start!

Paul (still frozen) in Massachusetts

"Paul O'Neill" > wrote in message
> Okay, I took the Google suggestion one step further, and added '+ Shopping
> Mall' to the search string. The following recipe, untried by me, popped

up.
> I hope this helps. I'm certainly going to try it!
>
> Paul in Massachusetts
>
> * * * * *
>
> Cook's Corner, from The Miami Herald (Posted on Thu, Jan. 01, 2004)
>
> Q: I would like to have a recipe for bourbon chicken like you get at the
> mall, preferably in time for a Mardi Gras party.
>
> from Lucy, via e-mail
>
> A: We get requests for a copy-cat bourbon chicken recipe all the time.

I've
> tried a few of the many versions on the Internet, but have found the

bourbon
> taste too pronounced.
>
> Some recipes say bourbon doesn't even belong in the recipe and that the
> title refers to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I'm partial to that theory
> since I can't imagine fast-food restaurants using an expensive ingredient
> like bourbon.
>
> At any rate, after much experimentation, I've come up with a recipe that
> pleases my bourbon-chicken loving son. You can easily multiply the recipe

> serve a crowd.
>
> Recipe follows, below.
>
> * * * * *
>
> Bourbon Chicken
>
> 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, or 8 skinless, boneless

chicken
> thighs (1 to 1 ¼ pounds total)
> 1/3 cup soy sauce
> ½ medium onion, chopped very fine
> ½ cup packed brown sugar
> ¼ cup bourbon or to taste
> 1 clove garlic, minced fine
> 1 teaspoon ground ginger
>
> Dice chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a single layer in a glass
> baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, onion, brown sugar,
> bourbon, garlic and ginger. Pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate at
> least 6 hours and preferably overnight, turning chicken several times.
>
> Heat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover pan and bake chicken, basting with pan
> juices several times, for 1 hour, until meat is cooked through and nicely
> browned. Serve with rice. Makes 4 servings.
>
> Per serving: 291 calories (5 percent from fat), 1.5 g fat (0.4 g

saturated,
> 0.4 g monounsaturated), 68.4 mg cholesterol, 29.7 g protein, 30.3 g
> carbohydrates, 0.5 g fiber, 1,276 mg sodium.
>

> "Thalocean2" > wrote in message
> > > You might want to try a standard recipe and then,
> > >if you think it needs goosing up, experiment with adding brown sugar

or
> even
> > >that bottled jack daniels barbecue sauce.
> > >Naomi D.

> > Have you ever really tasted that bottled JD sauce? Yuck.
> >
> > I too would like a GOOD and TRIED by a human being with a sense of taste
> > Bourbon Chicken recipe. Maybe a knock off of Golden Coral?
> >
> > Laura B.

Thalocean2

>Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
>group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
>that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
>has used and knows tastes good?
>
>What good is doing a google search and getting 100s of hits and STILL
>not knowing which one to try?

Amen
Thank you!

Laura B.
Thalocean2

>Most of the time it's some lazy, just lie there in bed kinda bozo who just
>wants to push a button and have everyone else do the work. Hence the surl.
>Me, if I give em a recipe, I usually double the salt ;-P
>
>Jack Surlytable

No, I was hoping for your trusted oh-so-valuable advice on a TRIED recipe. Not
so trusted now Mr. Salt. ;-)

Laura B.
Thalocean2

>Recipe follows, below.
>
>* * * * *
>
>Bourbon Chicken

Thank you Paul.

Laura B.

sf

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:16:03 GMT, "Paul O'Neill"
> wrote:

> Let me add this to my own posting:
>
> Whenever I have seen this popular dish prepared in shopping mall
> food courts, I noticed that the cook takes out a pre-packaged
> portion of marinated chicken bits, marinade, etc., in a single
> zip-lock type baggie. She or he then empty the serving into a
> very hot wok or griddle and proceeds to stir-fry the living Christ
> out of it, browning it and allowing it just enough time to sizzle
> the juices down to a thick glop and cooking the chicken bits
> completely through (I hope!) So, I'd say dice the chicken into
> bits that are small enough to cook thoroughly in a few minutes
> in a stir-fry environment.
>
> The recipe I found and posted calls for the mixture to be
> baked, but I'd be more inclined to use it as a jumping-off
> spot and chuck it into a hot wok.
>
> Hey, it's a start!
>
> Paul (still frozen) in Massachusetts

Glad you added that... seems more reasonable than baking an
hour.

The ingredients are similar to what I use as a marinade -
except I add hoi sin to it also.

Frogleg

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:20:02 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"cc" > wrote
>>
>> Why is it that every time someone asks for a recipe on a cooking
>> group, someone sends them to Google?? Has it ever occured to anyone
>> that what requesters want is a TRIED recipe? Something that someone
>> has used and knows tastes good?

>It's in the wording of the question. If someone asks simply 'got a recipe
>for [your dish here]?, they're more likely to get the surly google eye from
>most here. The same question, better phrased as 'there are hundreds of
>recipes for [your dish here]; what have you tried and what do you like about
>it?' would fetch better response. Or something like that. Just asking the
>first example doesn't imply any 'homework' done on the part of the
>questioning poster.

Precisely. I characterize this, not unfairly, as the "gimme chiken
recepes" post. By no means "all" nor even 'most' queries are referred
to Google. Someone asking for "recipes" or "chicken recipes" or "cake
recipes" is usually a troll. There are a million online. What does the
(genuine) poster actually want? How to roast a chicken? What to make
with chicken thighs? How to make chicken pot pie, chicken soup,
chicken salad? Is the poster an experienced cook looking for new ideas
(hah!) or someone who wants to replicate KFC in their dorm room?

In fact, if the poster doesn't know it, Googling for a recipe is
usually quite productive. One gets a feel for what the generic process
is, as well as possible variations. As for "tried" recipes, tastes
differ. Just because one person's favorite cake involves a can of
fruit cocktail doesn't mean it'll appeal to everyone -- only that it
probably won't explode in the oven. Probably. :-)

Looking for a Bourbon Chicken recipe chet General Cooking 4 03-07-2013 03:06 AM
Bourbon Chicken chet General Cooking 4 03-04-2012 04:57 PM
Bourbon Street Chicken Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 28-11-2006 01:29 PM
Bourbon Chicken Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 10-05-2006 01:52 AM
Bourbon Chicken Tim Recipes 0 05-08-2005 02:04 AM