Frogleg

Default Stir-fry help?

I can never remember the proper order. Garlic & ginger go in first,
after the oil, of course. Then do you add and cook the veg, then the
meat? Or add the meat, cook, remove, and add back after doing the veg?
I've got garlic, ginger, chicken breast, celery, onion, green onion,
bok choi, green pepper & green beans. I *do* know to cook the bok choi
whites first and add the greens at the end. And I'm going to get some
sambal ulek in there, too.
BOB

Frogleg typed:
> I can never remember the proper order. Garlic & ginger go in first,
> after the oil, of course. Then do you add and cook the veg, then the
> meat? Or add the meat, cook, remove, and add back after doing the veg?
> I've got garlic, ginger, chicken breast, celery, onion, green onion,
> bok choi, green pepper & green beans. I *do* know to cook the bok choi
> whites first and add the greens at the end. And I'm going to get some
> sambal ulek in there, too.

I always:
Heat the oil
add garlic, ginger, cook thoroughly, but not overcooked
remove ginger and garlic (flavors the oil, keeps ginger and garlic from
burning)
add onion
add meat
cook meat til almost done. Onions continue to cook and caramalize
add larger veggies
add thinner veggies
add ginger and garlic back in
Finish cooking

That's why you *NEED* a round bottom wok with a hot spot on the bottom, so
everything cooks but not overcooks. You can move faster cooking ingredients
to the edges of the wok, out of the high heat, but they still stay warm
HTH

BOB

PENMART01

>Frogleg spoke:
>
>I can never remember the proper order. Garlic & ginger go in first,
>after the oil, of course. Then do you add and cook the veg, then the
>meat? Or add the meat, cook, remove, and add back after doing the veg?

Add the meat, cook, remove, then add back after the veggies... yes.

>I've got garlic, ginger, chicken breast, celery, onion, green onion,
>bok choi, green pepper & green beans. I *do* know to cook the bok choi
>whites first and add the greens at the end.

Actually the green bok choy tops aren't stir fried (leaves of any kind don't
stir fry well, they add too much liquid at too high a rate), those are reserved
for soups or chiffonaded into egg foo yong... larger whole leaves are used as
wrappers for steamed seafood bundles.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

LIMEYNO1

I add the garlic and ginger and simmer in the oil, not fry for a few
minutes, then I remove them and heat the oil up very hot for the meat and
remove it just a little underdone. Do the veggies and add the meat last few
minutes.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<>< ><>
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/190/145

Frogleg > wrote:
> I can never remember the proper order. Garlic & ginger go in first,
> after the oil, of course. Then do you add and cook the veg, then the
> meat? Or add the meat, cook, remove, and add back after doing the veg?
> I've got garlic, ginger, chicken breast, celery, onion, green onion,
> bok choi, green pepper & green beans. I *do* know to cook the bok choi
> whites first and add the greens at the end. And I'm going to get some
> sambal ulek in there, too.

The items that take longest to cook get cooked first.

blake murphy

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:49:40 -0500, "LIMEYNO1" >
wrote:

>I add the garlic and ginger and simmer in the oil, not fry for a few
>minutes, then I remove them and heat the oil up very hot for the meat and
>remove it just a little underdone. Do the veggies and add the meat last few
>minutes.

i know a lot of the cookbooks recommend this method, but i usually
don't bother. cook the meat a little, and then add the vegetables.

(does anyone else get ****ed off when cooking a stir-fry for someone
and they dawdle for a few minutes after you say 'it's ready'?)

your normally placid pal,
blake
Jarkat2002

>(does anyone else get ****ed off when cooking a stir-fry for someone
>and they dawdle for a few minutes after you say 'it's ready'?)
>
>your normally placid pal,
>blake

YES
VERY
Actually, I can't stand it w/ any meal. I give a 3 minute warning now, it
helps but not a perfect system.
~Kat

"I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I
were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified
and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath
PENMART01

>>(does anyone else get ****ed off when cooking a stir-fry for someone
>>and they dawdle for a few minutes after you say 'it's ready'?)
>>
>>your normally placid pal,
>>blake

Why do you begin stir frying before folks are seated, eh... your guests must be
as ill-bred as you... idiot!

Breed & Feed:
http://www.countrysupply.com/subdept...18&maindept=18

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

Doug Cutler

Yup ...
Just need to watch this TV program to the next commercial break!!. Dam
well cured that one, got a TiVo!.!.!.!
Doug.

To stir or not Joe Ae Winemaking 8 09-10-2004 01:06 PM
Whether to Stir or not Mark L. Breen Coffee 28 30-10-2003 04:10 AM