zuuum

Default Odd origins

Odd food origins welcome -

The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

True, but he was an Italian. ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

True, but he was an Italian. ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

True, but he was an Italian. ;-)

--
Steve

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles/sec., what's the speed of
darkness?

Dimiri

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
> > Odd food origins welcome -
> >
> > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

restaurant.

> True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

And his first name was Caesar.........

How about Pavlova...

Stroganoff
Romanoff

Ad infinitum

Dimitri

Dimiri

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
> > Odd food origins welcome -
> >
> > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

restaurant.

> True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

And his first name was Caesar.........

How about Pavlova...

Stroganoff
Romanoff

Ad infinitum

Dimitri

zuuum

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> Odd food origins welcome -
>>
>> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana
>> restaurant.
>>

> True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

For the first time I see Caesar Cardini as an Italian transplant living in
Tijuana. Thanks for pointing that out.

zuuum

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> Odd food origins welcome -
>>
>> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana
>> restaurant.
>>

> True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

For the first time I see Caesar Cardini as an Italian transplant living in
Tijuana. Thanks for pointing that out.

zuuum

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> Odd food origins welcome -
>>
>> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana
>> restaurant.
>>

> True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

For the first time I see Caesar Cardini as an Italian transplant living in
Tijuana. Thanks for pointing that out.

alzelt

zuuum wrote:
> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

And if the Mexican restauranteur's first name was Caesar, what's so odd?

--
Alan

"I don't think you can win the war on terror."

...George (flip-flop) Bush, 8/30/2004

alzelt

zuuum wrote:
> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

And if the Mexican restauranteur's first name was Caesar, what's so odd?

--
Alan

"I don't think you can win the war on terror."

...George (flip-flop) Bush, 8/30/2004

sf

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:13:00 GMT, "Dimiri"
> wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > zuuum wrote:
> >
> > > Odd food origins welcome -
> > >
> > > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

> restaurant.
> > >

> > True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> And his first name was Caesar.........
>
> How about Pavlova...
>
> Stroganoff
> Romanoff

How about something Italian, crated by an American chef?

Chicken Tetrazzini
(serves 6)
Ingredients
4 whole chicken breasts
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup butter plus 3 tablespoons
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small onion, grated
1/2 pound linguine
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each of pepper and nutmeg
2 cups chicken broth
1cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sherry
1 jar of pimentos, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook chicken in water to cover for about 1 hour or until
tender. Cool in broth. Remove meat from bones and cut into
bite-size pieces. In a skillet, cook mushrooms in 1/4 cup
butter for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt;
add onion. Cook pasta in boiling water until tender; drain.
Melt remaining butter; blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add
broth and heavy cream; cook stirring constantly, until thick
and smooth. Add sherry. Divide sauce into two parts. Add
the chicken to half of the sauce. In the other half, add
pasta, mushrooms, pimentos, and green pepper. In a large
shallow baking dish, add the pasta mixture; make a hole in
the center of the pasta and add the chicken mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.

sf
sf

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:13:00 GMT, "Dimiri"
> wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > zuuum wrote:
> >
> > > Odd food origins welcome -
> > >
> > > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

> restaurant.
> > >

> > True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> And his first name was Caesar.........
>
> How about Pavlova...
>
> Stroganoff
> Romanoff

How about something Italian, crated by an American chef?

Chicken Tetrazzini
(serves 6)
Ingredients
4 whole chicken breasts
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup butter plus 3 tablespoons
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small onion, grated
1/2 pound linguine
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each of pepper and nutmeg
2 cups chicken broth
1cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sherry
1 jar of pimentos, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook chicken in water to cover for about 1 hour or until
tender. Cool in broth. Remove meat from bones and cut into
bite-size pieces. In a skillet, cook mushrooms in 1/4 cup
butter for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt;
add onion. Cook pasta in boiling water until tender; drain.
Melt remaining butter; blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add
broth and heavy cream; cook stirring constantly, until thick
and smooth. Add sherry. Divide sauce into two parts. Add
the chicken to half of the sauce. In the other half, add
pasta, mushrooms, pimentos, and green pepper. In a large
shallow baking dish, add the pasta mixture; make a hole in
the center of the pasta and add the chicken mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.

sf
Bob

Dimitri responded:

> > > Odd food origins welcome -
> > >
> > > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

> restaurant.
> > >

> > True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> And his first name was Caesar.........

Actually, his first name was Cesar. But at least when you know the history,
the name of the salad makes sense. What sense is there to the name "Danish
Pastry," which originated in Vienna?

Bob

PENMART01

> "Bob" virtualgoth

What sense is there to the name "Danish
>Pastry," which originated in Vienna?

That's not true. Many ethnicities have produced a version of *layered* pastry
dough, ie.Greek phyllo. Austria produced strudel dough (no yeast), very
different from the yeast risen pastry dough produced by the Danes. The Danish
are excellent bakers, in my opinion far better than the Austrians.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

> "Bob" virtualgoth

What sense is there to the name "Danish
>Pastry," which originated in Vienna?

That's not true. Many ethnicities have produced a version of *layered* pastry
dough, ie.Greek phyllo. Austria produced strudel dough (no yeast), very
different from the yeast risen pastry dough produced by the Danes. The Danish
are excellent bakers, in my opinion far better than the Austrians.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dimitri

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Dimitri responded:

>> restaurant.
>> > >

>> > True, but he was an Italian. ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Steve

>> And his first name was Caesar.........

> Actually, his first name was Cesar. But at least when you know the
> history,
> the name of the salad makes sense. What sense is there to the name
> "Danish
> Pastry," which originated in Vienna?
>
> Bob

Are you sure?

http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/caesrsal.html

Mexican/Spanish Spelling of Caesar

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artcaesarsalad.html

El Pato Pascual = Donald Duck

http://home.att.net/~barataeua/collectf_car_d.htm

Dimitri

Bob (this one)

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

Named after Italian Caesar Cardini who invented it. Julia Child used
to eat at his restaurant and knew him when she was young. Spoke warmly
about him.

> Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

"Butt" used to just mean "end." So it's the end of the forequarter.

And how about "pate a chou" that has nothing to do with cabbage...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.

Named after Italian Caesar Cardini who invented it. Julia Child used
to eat at his restaurant and knew him when she was young. Spoke warmly
about him.

> Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

"Butt" used to just mean "end." So it's the end of the forequarter.

And how about "pate a chou" that has nothing to do with cabbage...

Pastorio

Puester

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.
>
> Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

Okay, I'll play:

There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.

gloria p

Puester

zuuum wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana restaurant.
>
> Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

Okay, I'll play:

There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.

gloria p
Robt Englund

Puester > wrote in
:

> zuuum wrote:
>>
>> Odd food origins welcome -

> Okay, I'll play:
>
> There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.

And no chicken in chick peas. That one may be funny only if you've watched
British TV).

--
Robert Englund

Bullwinkle: You sure that's the only way?
Rocky: Well, if you're going to be a hero, you've
got to do stupid things every once in a while.
PENMART01

>Okay, I'll play:
>
>There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.
>

>gloria p

The more sophisticated say "Welch Rarebit". Served on toast topped with a
poached egg it becomes "Golden Buck".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Okay, I'll play:
>
>There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.
>

>gloria p

The more sophisticated say "Welch Rarebit". Served on toast topped with a
poached egg it becomes "Golden Buck".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Peter Aitken

"Puester" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
> >
> > Odd food origins welcome -
> >
> > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

restaurant.

> > Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

> Okay, I'll play:
>
> There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.

But it's rarebit, not rabbit, isn't it?

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in news:4el0d.3713
:

> "Puester" > wrote in message
>> zuuum wrote:
>> >
>> > Odd food origins welcome -
>> >
>> > The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana

> restaurant.
>> >
>> > Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

>> Okay, I'll play:
>>
>> There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.
>>

> But it's rarebit, not rabbit, isn't it?

It should be, but I've seen it spelled both ways on both menus and in
cookbooks.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Bob

Peter asked:

> > There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.
> >

> But it's rarebit, not rabbit, isn't it?

Its original name was "Welsh rabbit," being a slur on poor Welsh people. The
term "rarebit" was coined later in an attempt to make the dish more
politically correct (although this was LONG before the PC movement of
today).

Bob

Bob

Peter asked:

> > There's no rabbit in Welsh rabbit; it's cheese.
> >

> But it's rarebit, not rabbit, isn't it?

Its original name was "Welsh rabbit," being a slur on poor Welsh people. The
term "rarebit" was coined later in an attempt to make the dish more
politically correct (although this was LONG before the PC movement of
today).

Bob

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> What sense is there to the name "Danish
> >Pastry," which originated in Vienna?

> That's not true. Many ethnicities have produced a version of *layered*
> pastry dough, ie.Greek phyllo. Austria produced strudel dough (no yeast),
> very different from the yeast risen pastry dough produced by the Danes.
> The Danish are excellent bakers, in my opinion far better than the
> Austrians.

Just so you know...the Danish term for "Danish pastry" is "wienerbrod,"
which means "Vienna Bread."

From http://www.inu.org/scherzi/200012/entry12.htm:

"The Danes stole the idea for Danish pastry from the Viennese (it's a long
story, but trust me on this). With Danish honesty and modesty, they give
full credit: The Danes call Danish pastry "Vienna bread," or wienerbrod. (Do
remember that a W is a V in Germanic and Scandinavian languages.) What do
the Viennese call it? I'm told they call it Danish pastry. It doesn't belong
to them anymore; someone else perfected it."

Bob

Bob

From http://www.inu.org/scherzi/200012/entry12.htm:

"The Danes stole the idea for Danish pastry from the Viennese (it's a long
story, but trust me on this). With Danish honesty and modesty, they give
full credit: The Danes call Danish pastry "Vienna bread," or wienerbrod. (Do
remember that a W is a V in Germanic and Scandinavian languages.) What do
the Viennese call it? I'm told they call it Danish pastry. It doesn't belong
to them anymore; someone else perfected it."

Bob

Bob

Dimitri questioned:

>> Actually, his first name was Cesar.

> Are you sure?
>
> http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/caesrsal.html
>
> Mexican/Spanish Spelling of Caesar
>
> http://www.foodreference.com/html/artcaesarsalad.html

From the LA Times archives:

2. Cesar Cardini, Creator of Salad, Dies at 60
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 5, 1956. p.
31 (1 page):
Cesar Cardini, 60, credited with the invention of the Cesar salad, died
Saturday night in Good Samaritan Hospital following a stroke at his home,
8738 Bonner Drive.
Mr. Cardini devised the salad while operating the restaurant and hotel
which still bears his name in Tijuana.

Bob

Bob

Dimitri questioned:

>> Actually, his first name was Cesar.

> Are you sure?
>
> http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/caesrsal.html
>
> Mexican/Spanish Spelling of Caesar
>
> http://www.foodreference.com/html/artcaesarsalad.html

From the LA Times archives:

2. Cesar Cardini, Creator of Salad, Dies at 60
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 5, 1956. p.
31 (1 page):
Cesar Cardini, 60, credited with the invention of the Cesar salad, died
Saturday night in Good Samaritan Hospital following a stroke at his home,
8738 Bonner Drive.
Mr. Cardini devised the salad while operating the restaurant and hotel
which still bears his name in Tijuana.

Bob

PENMART01

>"Bob" virtualgoth writes:
>
>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> What sense is there to the name "Danish
>> >Pastry," which originated in Vienna?

>> That's not true. Many ethnicities have produced a version of *layered*
>> pastry dough, ie.Greek phyllo. Austria produced strudel dough (no yeast),
>> very different from the yeast risen pastry dough produced by the Danes.
>> The Danish are excellent bakers, in my opinion far better than the
>> Austrians.

>Just so you know...the Danish term for "Danish pastry" is "wienerbrod,"
>which means "Vienna Bread."
>
>From http://www.inu.org/scherzi/200012/entry12.htm:
>
>"The Danes stole the idea for Danish pastry from the Viennese (it's a long
>story, but trust me on this). With Danish honesty and modesty, they give
>full credit: The Danes call Danish pastry "Vienna bread," or wienerbrod. (Do
>remember that a W is a V in Germanic and Scandinavian languages.) What do
>the Viennese call it? I'm told they call it Danish pastry. It doesn't belong
>to them anymore; someone else perfected it."

You're going to have to come up with better references than a fercocktah URL
that won't work. And I suppose the Greeks stole phyllo from teh Austrians too.

Danish pastry dough is essentially sweet dough, a yeast dough. Austrian
strudrl dough contains no yeast, relies entirely on steam pockets to cause it
to flake.

You want an Austrian flake, try Arrrrnold... he's fulla dough too. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Bob" virtualgoth writes:
>
>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> What sense is there to the name "Danish
>> >Pastry," which originated in Vienna?

>> That's not true. Many ethnicities have produced a version of *layered*
>> pastry dough, ie.Greek phyllo. Austria produced strudel dough (no yeast),
>> very different from the yeast risen pastry dough produced by the Danes.
>> The Danish are excellent bakers, in my opinion far better than the
>> Austrians.

>Just so you know...the Danish term for "Danish pastry" is "wienerbrod,"
>which means "Vienna Bread."
>
>From http://www.inu.org/scherzi/200012/entry12.htm:
>
>"The Danes stole the idea for Danish pastry from the Viennese (it's a long
>story, but trust me on this). With Danish honesty and modesty, they give
>full credit: The Danes call Danish pastry "Vienna bread," or wienerbrod. (Do
>remember that a W is a V in Germanic and Scandinavian languages.) What do
>the Viennese call it? I'm told they call it Danish pastry. It doesn't belong
>to them anymore; someone else perfected it."

You're going to have to come up with better references than a fercocktah URL
that won't work. And I suppose the Greeks stole phyllo from teh Austrians too.

Danish pastry dough is essentially sweet dough, a yeast dough. Austrian
strudrl dough contains no yeast, relies entirely on steam pockets to cause it
to flake.

You want an Austrian flake, try Arrrrnold... he's fulla dough too. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> You're going to have to come up with better references than a fercocktah

URL
> that won't work.

Hm. Weird, it worked for me. Must be a problem with your ISP. :-)

What references have YOU provided as to the origins of Danish pastry?

> Danish pastry dough is essentially sweet dough, a yeast dough. Austrian
> strudrl dough contains no yeast, relies entirely on steam pockets to cause

it
> to flake.

What you write above is correct, except that Danish pastry has layers of
yeasted dough with butter separating the layers. It's similar to croissant
dough in that respect.

But who says Danish pastry is descended from strudel dough? Surely you
aren't claiming that Austrian bakers *only* make strudel dough! And who
says it was the Danes who first rolled butter into sweet yeasted dough? If
you Google for "danish pastry vienna" you come up with a host of URL's, some
of which point to a baker's strike in Denmark sometime around the 1840's,
when bakers from Vienna were recruited to take their place. These scabs
(although the union terms "strike" and "scab" didn't come into use for
something like a hundred years) allegedly were the inventors of Danish
pastry.

Bob

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> You're going to have to come up with better references than a fercocktah

URL
> that won't work.

Hm. Weird, it worked for me. Must be a problem with your ISP. :-)

What references have YOU provided as to the origins of Danish pastry?

> Danish pastry dough is essentially sweet dough, a yeast dough. Austrian
> strudrl dough contains no yeast, relies entirely on steam pockets to cause

it
> to flake.

What you write above is correct, except that Danish pastry has layers of
yeasted dough with butter separating the layers. It's similar to croissant
dough in that respect.

But who says Danish pastry is descended from strudel dough? Surely you
aren't claiming that Austrian bakers *only* make strudel dough! And who
says it was the Danes who first rolled butter into sweet yeasted dough? If
you Google for "danish pastry vienna" you come up with a host of URL's, some
of which point to a baker's strike in Denmark sometime around the 1840's,
when bakers from Vienna were recruited to take their place. These scabs
(although the union terms "strike" and "scab" didn't come into use for
something like a hundred years) allegedly were the inventors of Danish
pastry.

Bob

CJB

previously in rfc, "zuuum" > wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana
> restaurant.

I find this hard to believe, but when we were on a tour of Yale this summer
looking at colleges for my son, the tour guide told us that the hamburger
was invented in New Haven! Supposedly you get kicked out of the restaurant
if you ask for ketchup.

A quick search online shows quite a few different claims of the hamburger
creation....

-Claudia

> Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

CJB

previously in rfc, "zuuum" > wrote:

> Odd food origins welcome -
>
> The "Caesar" salad, uses Romaine lettuce, was born in a Tijuana
> restaurant.

I find this hard to believe, but when we were on a tour of Yale this summer
looking at colleges for my son, the tour guide told us that the hamburger
was invented in New Haven! Supposedly you get kicked out of the restaurant
if you ask for ketchup.

A quick search online shows quite a few different claims of the hamburger
creation....

-Claudia

> Pork "butt" is actually the shoulder of a pig.

Dimitri

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Dimitri questioned:
>
>>> Actually, his first name was Cesar.

>> Are you sure?
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/caesrsal.html
>>
>> Mexican/Spanish Spelling of Caesar
>>
>> http://www.foodreference.com/html/artcaesarsalad.html
>>

> From the LA Times archives:
>
> 2. Cesar Cardini, Creator of Salad, Dies at 60
> Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 5, 1956.
> p.
> 31 (1 page):
> Cesar Cardini, 60, credited with the invention of the Cesar salad, died
> Saturday night in Good Samaritan Hospital following a stroke at his home,
> 8738 Bonner Drive.
> Mr. Cardini devised the salad while operating the restaurant and hotel
> which still bears his name in Tijuana.

And the LA times is ALWAYS correct..

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SaladHistory.htm

http://www.sierrawineguide.com/Food/Caesar.htm

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question515.htm

http://www.mexicofile.com/caesarsalad.htm

Dimitri

origins Peter Lucas[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-10-2010 01:20 PM
Franciacorta: origins of the name Vilco Wine 1 30-10-2006 04:18 PM
Valpolicella: origins of the name Vilco Wine 14 30-10-2006 09:50 AM
Unique Origins Karstens Rage Chocolate 3 13-02-2004 10:55 PM
origins of bunacalda? Chris General Cooking 4 28-12-2003 04:34 AM