FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC & Q: Concord Grape, Ginger & Apple Chutney (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/34262-rec-q-concord-grape.html)

Scott 09-09-2004 11:39 PM

REC & Q: Concord Grape, Ginger & Apple Chutney

I just came across this. Any thoughts? Is that a LOT of ginger?

Concord Grape, Ginger & Apple Chutney

2 lb Concord grapes
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 lb Granny Smith apples, diced
1/2 lb onion, chopped
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 lb dried currants
1/2 lb ginger, grated
2T sesame seeds
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Wash grapes. To remove the skins, pinch the grapes and they will slip
off. Set the skins aside. Put pulp into saucepan and bring to a boil.
While hot, press through a strainer to remove seeds. Mix strained pulp
with skins. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 40 - 45 minutes
until most of the liquid has evaporated. Ladle into sterilized jars and
seal. The chutney will be ready to eat in one month. Yield: About 2lbs

please mail OT responses only

SportKite1 10-09-2004 12:12 AM

>From: Scott

>Is that a LOT of ginger?

Looks great to me. You've already got a LOT of fruit and sugar - the ginger
will take on a nice candied quality plus add a little heat.

Ellen

SportKite1 10-09-2004 12:12 AM

Scott 10-09-2004 09:18 PM

In article >,
(SportKite1) wrote:

> Looks great to me. You've already got a LOT of fruit and sugar - the ginger
> will take on a nice candied quality plus add a little heat.

Well, just processed the batch. I'm a little leery in that it's not a
tested recipe, but the cup of apple cider vinegar looks promising. I BWB
for 10 minutes.

The ginger mellowed during the 45 minute cooking time, and did indeed
add a nice kick.

It certainly had an odd smell to it while cooking, though. :)

Fortunately, the batch came to 7-1/3 pints, so I have an container I
couldn't process--a perfect excuse for taste-testing. :)

I couldn't find the sesame seeds I thought I had, so I made the batch
without them... I don't think it'll suffer too much.

please mail OT responses only