Scott

Default weight of granulated sugar?

Anyone have an accurate number? I've found a bunch of figures, from 7
ounces,
<http://www.pastryitems.com/book_of_yields.htm>
<http://www.homemakingcottage.com/health/honey.html>
<http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00093.asp>

8 ounces:
<http://www.ochef.com/91.htm>
<http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/weights.htm>

up to 8-3/4 ounces
<http://www.consumerchef.com/conversion_chart.html>

I just discovered that the cup measure in the measuring cup set I bought
from Bed, Bath, Beyond a year or two ago (or was it Linens and Things?
The two stores are so much alike, I can't remember):
<http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10163897>
seems to hold too little. One cup of sugar weighs less than 7 ounces
(about 6.5 or so, IIRC). I have an older one-cup measure that holds
about 7.5-8 ounces of sugar. Both cups are measured by overfilling them,
then using a flat blade to level it off.

If I fill the new cup (leveling off) and pour it into the older one, it
comes up well short of the lip.

This is the scale I'm using:
<http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11242073>

please mail OT responses only
Victor Sack

Scott > wrote:

> Anyone have an accurate number?

I would say the number depends on how finely the sugar in question is
granulated. Other things being equal, the finer the granules, the more
tighter a given volume would be filled and the more it would weigh, I'd
guess. The degree of hydration of sugar would also influence the weight
of a given volume.

> I've found a bunch of figures, from 7
> ounces,

According to the tables in the rfc FAQ, a cup of granulated sugar weighs
190 g, i.e. 6.7 ounces. Obviously, this is just an approximation.

Victor

Victor Sack

Scott > wrote:

> Anyone have an accurate number?

I would say the number depends on how finely the sugar in question is
granulated. Other things being equal, the finer the granules, the more
tighter a given volume would be filled and the more it would weigh, I'd
guess. The degree of hydration of sugar would also influence the weight
of a given volume.

> I've found a bunch of figures, from 7
> ounces,

According to the tables in the rfc FAQ, a cup of granulated sugar weighs
190 g, i.e. 6.7 ounces. Obviously, this is just an approximation.

Victor

Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> Anyone have an accurate number? I've found a bunch of figures, from 7
> ounces,

When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> Anyone have an accurate number? I've found a bunch of figures, from 7
> ounces,

When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

Goomba38

Vox Humana wrote:

> When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
> Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
> from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

Just wondering if there could be any difference between cane
sugar and beet sugar?
Goomba

Goomba38

Vox Humana wrote:

> When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
> Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
> from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

Just wondering if there could be any difference between cane
sugar and beet sugar?
Goomba

Vox Humana

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> > weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size =

1
> > Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a

cup
> > from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
> >
> > According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> > 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

> Just wondering if there could be any difference between cane
> sugar and beet sugar?
> Goomba

I looked at one of the sites and found discrepancies within the site. For
instance it stated that two tablespoons of sugar was one ounce. Since there
are 16 tablespoons in a cup, one would think that a cup would therefore
weigh 8 ounces. But that site said a cup of sugar weighed 8.75 ounces! I
think that the confusion comes from a combination of bad math and passing on
bad information without verification. I trust the USDA database. The only
factor that would make one form of sucrose weigh more or less than another
(cane sugar vs. beet sugar) would be how densely it packs and that would be
dependant on the size of the granules.

Vox Humana

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> > weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size =

1
> > Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a

cup
> > from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
> >
> > According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> > 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

> Just wondering if there could be any difference between cane
> sugar and beet sugar?
> Goomba

I looked at one of the sites and found discrepancies within the site. For
instance it stated that two tablespoons of sugar was one ounce. Since there
are 16 tablespoons in a cup, one would think that a cup would therefore
weigh 8 ounces. But that site said a cup of sugar weighed 8.75 ounces! I
think that the confusion comes from a combination of bad math and passing on
bad information without verification. I trust the USDA database. The only
factor that would make one form of sucrose weigh more or less than another
(cane sugar vs. beet sugar) would be how densely it packs and that would be
dependant on the size of the granules.

Vox Humana

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> > weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size =

1
> > Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a

cup
> > from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
> >
> > According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> > 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

> Just wondering if there could be any difference between cane
> sugar and beet sugar?
> Goomba

I looked at one of the sites and found discrepancies within the site. For
instance it stated that two tablespoons of sugar was one ounce. Since there
are 16 tablespoons in a cup, one would think that a cup would therefore
weigh 8 ounces. But that site said a cup of sugar weighed 8.75 ounces! I
think that the confusion comes from a combination of bad math and passing on
bad information without verification. I trust the USDA database. The only
factor that would make one form of sucrose weigh more or less than another
(cane sugar vs. beet sugar) would be how densely it packs and that would be
dependant on the size of the granules.

Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
> Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
> from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

yah, but I don't have the bag anymore. I keep sugar in a large
re-sealable plastic container. Thanks for the USDA link.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
> Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
> from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

yah, but I don't have the bag anymore. I keep sugar in a large
re-sealable plastic container. Thanks for the USDA link.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> When in doubt, I read the label. Your bag of sugar should tell you the
> weight of a serving size. For instance, it should say: Serving size = 1
> Tablespoon (x grams) You should be able to calculate the weight of a cup
> from there. The other source I use is the FDA database:
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> According to that database, one cup of granulated sugar is 200 grams.
> 200 grams = 7.05 ounces.

yah, but I don't have the bag anymore. I keep sugar in a large
re-sealable plastic container. Thanks for the USDA link.

please mail OT responses only

Natural weight loss tactics to lose weight forever and never gain itback. All the weight-loss secrets! mada General Cooking 0 18-08-2010 03:31 PM
dry weight equivalent of sugar in juice cidersugar Winemaking 3 13-06-2006 05:45 AM
Do granulated and powdered sugar measure the same? Andy General Cooking 47 21-06-2005 02:03 PM
granulated tea curly mustache Tea 1 17-03-2005 04:44 PM
Sugar Weight Question FamilySailor Winemaking 10 20-10-2004 06:29 PM