Melba's Jammin'

Default Margaret Made me Do This - LONG

It was fun. We left home at 11:40 a.m. To catch the noon bus from the
nearby transit station. $5 roundtrip to the Fairgrounds in St. Paul
(it's about 25 miles). We arrived at about 12:35 and commenced to the
Vegie Fries stand for batter-dipped-and-fried vegies on a stick: potato,
onion, cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, broccoli with an intervening stop
for a Pronto Pup for Chris. We chatted with the proprietor for quite a
while - I've been coming there for many years and we talk about whether
or not I won any ribbons.

Then we continued to the Creative Activities building to admire my jars
of jams and jellies. I forgot to look at my pickles. :-) My pictures
suck and he said his are good but I haven't looked at them yet because
his CD wouldn't read on my machine. I checked in at the Gedney booth,
got my new shirt, and waited for the parade to start while Chris went
off in search of his uncle who's tending one of the buildings. I had
the opportunity to walk in the parade behind the PickleMobile if I
desired. I did. So, I did. I carried the godawful placard that bears
my 8-year old picture and some info about being a Gedney Jam Lady. Wore
my battered straw hat with the red satin scarf that I use for a hat
band. I was stylin'. I had my fistful of big Gedney rosettes acquired
over the years for prizes for pickles, jams, mustard and I waved them
prominently as I shouted to the folks that they should, "Buy my jam! I
can't get rich without your help." And said, "They're all mine and I
came by them honestly!" It was a gas. The pace of the parade was
faster than I expected and by the end of the mile I was huffing along.
I was thankful for a cool breeze and cool temps.

Then I went back to the Creative Activities building and met Chris there
again. We went down to the Grandstand building where I bought a spare
glass container for my hanging plant rooter/vase and a root beet (I had
a coupon). Then we split and went back to the Gedney booth to do my
stint there while he killed two hours at the Fair. Near the end of my 2
hours for Gedney, Steve Dropkin came by and we visited for quite a
while. I sold a fair amount of my Gedney jam while I was there.
(They're selling it for a really good price.)

At 6:00 Chris and I headed for home by way of the Dairy Building so he
could take a picture of the butter sculpture of Princess Kay of the
Milky Way, but there were a boatload of people there so we bagged that
plan and staggered to the bus stop for home. Every bone in my body
below my neck was killing me. My feet were killing me (and still are).
Rob met us at a nearby Chinese restaurant for supper and we came home.

Chris drove to Becky's this morning and Rob and I will go up there
tomorrow morning. Beck called to say he arrived safely and that he and
Sam had been playing together. She flew into his arms when he got there
and they played outside in the sandbox and swing. I hear that she sang
the ABC song to him while swinging.

On Monday evening I will make a tv appearance on the local CBS affiliate
in conjunction with winning some blue ribbons at the fair. We will have
to be back in Burnsville so I can catch the 4:00 p.m. bus to the
fairgrounds.

My son and I speak the same language. Sometimes without words.

I don't know why Margaret thought I should post that.

Here's a great bar -- and it's a real PITA to make.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Apple Pie Bars

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Base:
8 oz. light caramels -- (about 28)
1/2 cup evaporated milk or light cream
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 egg
1/4 cup cold water
Filling:
6 cups peeled -- sliced apples
(about 6 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice -- (2 to 4)
Cream Cheese Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Melt caramels with evaporated milk over boiling water, stirring
occasionally. Keep over hot water.

Sift flour, sugar and salt into mixing bowl. Cut in butter until
particles are fine. Blend cooking oil with egg and cold water until
smooth and creamy; add to dry ingredients. Stir until mixture holds
together. Form into a square. Roll out on ungreased 18x14² sheet of
heavy aluminum foil to 17x12² rectangle. Fold edge to form a standing
rim; flute. Fold foil up around pastry to make a pan. Place on cookie
sheet. (A 15x10² jelly roll pan may be substituted for foil but itıll
be a monster to roll the dough in the pan -- itıs a sticky dough.)

Combine filling ingredients and spread on pastry. Drizzle melted
caramel sauce in strips over apples.

Cream together the cream cheese, egg and sugar until fluffy and smooth;
spoon between caramel sauce. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned. Serve warm or
cold.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Source: Pillsburyıs 14th Grand National Bake-Off Cookbook, from
1963. Recipe was called Apple Pie Œ63, the $25,000 grand prize winner.
11/9/93, the first baking project in my new kitchen! Havenıt made this
in 20 years! Crust tastes kind of blah. Itıs pretty putzy to make.

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Bolivar

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

<snippage of very nice account>

> Then I went back to the Creative Activities building and met Chris there
> again. We went down to the Grandstand building where I bought a spare
> glass container for my hanging plant rooter/vase and a root beet (I had

^^^^^^^^^

Well, Barb, after all these years, I'm glad to see that you have finally
seen the wonderfullness of beets. How was it?? Did you put any
condiments on it??

I am sooooo happy for youl. Now you can understand the pleasure that so
many of us have tried to get you to share with us for so long.

Boli.

> a coupon). Then we split and went back to the Gedney booth to do my
> stint there while he killed two hours at the Fair. Near the end of my 2
> hours for Gedney, Steve Dropkin came by and we visited for quite a
> while. I sold a fair amount of my Gedney jam while I was there.
> (They're selling it for a really good price.)

Terry Pulliam Burd

Barb - Your annual State Fair forays never cease to amaze me. Kudos,
lady, and may you enjoy many more successes!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Chloe

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> It was fun. We left home at 11:40 a.m. To catch the noon bus from the
> nearby transit station. $5 roundtrip to the Fairgrounds in St. Paul
> (it's about 25 miles). We arrived at about 12:35 and commenced to the
> Vegie Fries stand for batter-dipped-and-fried vegies on a stick: potato,
> onion, cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, broccoli with an intervening stop
> for a Pronto Pup for Chris. We chatted with the proprietor for quite a
> while - I've been coming there for many years and we talk about whether
> or not I won any ribbons.

<snip>
> Here's a great bar -- and it's a real PITA to make.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Apple Pie Bars

<snip>

Delightful post. It's an amazing state fair. The bars sound wonderful, but
mostly served to remind me that for an upcoming bake sale I need a couple
new recipes for ones that are tasty and relatively quick. Would some of you
be kind enough to share?

Rick & Cyndi

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> Barb - Your annual State Fair forays never cease to amaze me. Kudos,
> lady, and may you enjoy many more successes!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>======

Ah Terry... you had best quit that - you might give her a swelled head!
<VBG>

Cyndi

limey

> >>Oh, CRAP!!! What a rotten typo to make. Root BEER, you fool, root
> >>BEER!!!

Barb

I'll bet you turned beet red over that typo!

Dora

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Chloe"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > It was fun. We left home at 11:40 a.m. To catch the noon bus from
> > the nearby transit station. $5 roundtrip to the Fairgrounds in St.
> > Paul (it's about 25 miles). We arrived at about 12:35 and
> > commenced to the Vegie Fries stand for batter-dipped-and-fried
> > vegies on a stick: potato, onion, cauliflower, carrot, zucchini,
> > broccoli with an intervening stop for a Pronto Pup for Chris. We
> > chatted with the proprietor for quite a while - I've been coming
> > there for many years and we talk about whether or not I won any
> > ribbons. <snip> Here's a great bar -- and it's a real PITA to make.
> >
> > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

> > Apple Pie Bars <snip>

> Delightful post. It's an amazing state fair. The bars sound
> wonderful, but mostly served to remind me that for an upcoming bake
> sale I need a couple new recipes for ones that are tasty and
> relatively quick. Would some of you be kind enough to share?

Thanks, Chloe. Here are a couple.

* Mystically Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Chocolate In-Betweens

Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 8-30-04
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Bars

1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter or margarine -- chilled, in 8 pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In food processor bowl with steel blade in
place, process brown sugar, butter and salt, to mix, about 15 seconds.
Mixture will be lumpy. Stop if mixture begins to form a ball.

Add flour and oats to mixture. Pulse to crumble, 2 to 3 times. Stir
down mixture. Repeat pulsing until mixture is crumbly. Press about 2/3
mixture (2-1/2 cups) into bottom of greased 9x13 inch pan. Leave
remaining mixture in bowl.

In 2-quart saucepan, combine condensed milk and chips. Heat over low
heat, stirring constantly, until chips melt. Be careful not to burn
chocolate. (Melting can also be done in microwave on medium power.)
Pour over crust in pan. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top. Bake until
lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Makes 2 dozen 2-inch squares.
Note: Milk chocolate chips are especially good instead of semisweet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 211 Calories; 10g Fat (40% calories from fat); 3g Protein;
30g Carbohydrate; 20mg Cholesterol; 123mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
_____

* Efficaciously Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Caramel Thins

Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 8-30-04
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bars

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon evaporated milk
Caramel Filling:
1 package Kraft caramels (12 oz?)
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
Icing:
1 cup milk chocolate chips (6 oz.)
3 tablespoons butter -- .

Combine first four ingredients for base and press into 9x13" pan. Bake
at 350° for 10-12 minutes until light brown. Melt caramels, milk and
butter; remove from heat and add sugar. Blend and spread on crust.
Chill in refrigerator. Melt chocolate chips with butter; spread over
caramel and cool.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Some book of Alice's, late 1980s. Don't think I've ever made
this.
____

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Butter Pecan Turtle Bars

Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8-30-04
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bars

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup pecan halves
Caramel:
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crust: combine flour sugar and butter; mix
well. Pat firmly in 9x13 pan; sprinkle pecans on top. Caramel layer: In
a heavy saucepan over medium heat cook butter and sugar, stir
constantly; boil 1/2 -1 minute. Pour evenly over crust. Bake 18 - 22
minutes or until layer is bubbly. Remove from oven and immediately
sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Allow to melt 2 - 3 minutes; swirl
for marble effect. Cool completely before cutting. Makes 3 - 4 dozen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving (excluding unknown items): 201 Calories; 10g Fat (45%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 15mg Cholesterol; 63mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Source:
(Cindy M. Carney), rec. food.recipes, 7/23/95.
_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Chloe

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Delightful post. It's an amazing state fair. The bars sound
>> wonderful, but mostly served to remind me that for an upcoming bake
>> sale I need a couple new recipes for ones that are tasty and
>> relatively quick. Would some of you be kind enough to share?

> Thanks, Chloe. Here are a couple.

<snip the good stuff>

Thanks Barb. Those look excellent as well as quick as I requested. If the
stereotypes have any validity at all, you Minnesotans are supposed to really
know your bar cookies. And since I'm making them for a Lutheran church
function, they ought to be right up the ethnic/cultural alley <g>.

Winter's coming, you got a good lutefisk recipe for the Advent potluck?

Puester

Chloe wrote:

> Thanks Barb. Those look excellent as well as quick as I requested. If the
> stereotypes have any validity at all, you Minnesotans are supposed to really
> know your bar cookies. And since I'm making them for a Lutheran church
> function, they ought to be right up the ethnic/cultural alley <g>.
>
> Winter's coming, you got a good lutefisk recipe for the Advent potluck?

I am not Barb nor do I ever hope to equal her achievements,
but I believe we have decided here long ago that there is
NO SUCH THING as a "good lutefisk recipe."

gloria p
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Chloe"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >> Delightful post. It's an amazing state fair. The bars sound
> >> wonderful, but mostly served to remind me that for an upcoming bake
> >> sale I need a couple new recipes for ones that are tasty and
> >> relatively quick. Would some of you be kind enough to share?

> > Thanks, Chloe. Here are a couple.

> <snip the good stuff>
>
> Thanks Barb. Those look excellent as well as quick as I requested. If the
> stereotypes have any validity at all, you Minnesotans are supposed to
> really
> know your bar cookies. And since I'm making them for a Lutheran church
> function, they ought to be right up the ethnic/cultural alley <g>.
>
> Winter's coming, you got a good lutefisk recipe for the Advent potluck?

Sure. Here's Alan Zelt's recipe from a 12-13-2001 post he

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lutefisk Preparation

Recipe By : Alan Zelt
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Barbeque Scandinavian

1 Lutefisk
5 sticks firewood
1 quart gasoline
1 750 ml Finlandia -- poured over ice

Pour a glass of Finlandia(ice or not is optional). Take a healthy drink,
because this preparation is man's work.

Dig a hole in your backyard. About 3ft deep should be sufficient.
To this hole, add the Lutefisk and then the five fireplace logs.

Douse wood with the gasoline. Step back, and ignite the wood. Ensure
that the fire is on high.

Sit back, away from the fire, on a comfortable chair. Take another
drink.

In about 15 minutes, the fire should have died down. Stir the embers,
until there is a consistency throughout of fine soot.

So that you remember this happy occasion, pour a shot of vodka into the
embers, uttter "thank God," and Got Yul, and go inside and have a great
dinner. Merry Christmas.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : NOTES : After you have bought a lutefisk, you will need a good
method of preparation. While this preparation method is a bit
unconventional, it will satisfy all unnatural cravings for lutefisk.

--
Alan

Recipe I made(long) W. Baker Diabetic 8 28-09-2011 06:50 PM
I made my soup! (Kind of long) kilikini General Cooking 6 26-03-2007 04:41 PM
My co-worker made me do it! (long) Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 52 05-10-2005 05:45 AM
Margaret Made Me Do This - You'd Better Read It, Because Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 14 16-09-2004 07:35 PM
Margaret Made me Do This - LONG Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 4 03-09-2004 12:10 AM