Petey the Wonder Dog

Default How to keep fresh basil fresh?

About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.

I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
for a few days to a week.

Anyone?
Paul M. Cook©®

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.

You can't. Tie a string to the ends and hang it up in a warm dry place. A
quick whirr in a food processor and you have fresh, dry basil.

Paul

Paul M. Cook©®

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.

You can't. Tie a string to the ends and hang it up in a warm dry place. A
quick whirr in a food processor and you have fresh, dry basil.

Paul

PENMART01

> "Paul M. Kook" writes:
>
>"Petey the Dog" wrote:
>> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>>
>> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
>> for a few days to a week.

>You can't.

Freshly picked (unwashed) basil will keep quite nicely in a zip-loc in the
fridge for about a week.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Paul M. Kook" writes:
>
>"Petey the Dog" wrote:
>> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>>
>> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
>> for a few days to a week.

>You can't.

Freshly picked (unwashed) basil will keep quite nicely in a zip-loc in the
fridge for about a week.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Hal Laurent

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Petey the Dog" wrote:
> >> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
> >>
> >> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it

fresh
> >> for a few days to a week.

> Freshly picked (unwashed) basil will keep quite nicely in a zip-loc in the
> fridge for about a week.

Wrap a paper towel around it before putting it into the bag helps.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Hal Laurent

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Petey the Dog" wrote:
> >> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
> >>
> >> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it

fresh
> >> for a few days to a week.

> Freshly picked (unwashed) basil will keep quite nicely in a zip-loc in the
> fridge for about a week.

Wrap a paper towel around it before putting it into the bag helps.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

sergio sbigfive

I use quite a bit of basil, during the summer and fall it is not a problem,
but here in Wisconsin it is hard to keep a plant alive,
During the season, when there's a lots of leaves, I pick them and I chop
them up in a food processor with some olive oil and to keep them looking
green I add a few spinach leaves ( Chlorophyll ), I put them in freezer bags
lay them flat in the freezer ( about 1/4 to 3/8 thick )and when I need some
basil I unzip the bag and break off a chunk of basil, It is better than the
dried one.
If I want some pesto I defrost one bag, chop some nut meat or pinoli add
some garlic salt mix it in the food processor and add the defrosted basil
last, here is where the spinach do make it green
Sergio

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

sergio sbigfive

I use quite a bit of basil, during the summer and fall it is not a problem,
but here in Wisconsin it is hard to keep a plant alive,
During the season, when there's a lots of leaves, I pick them and I chop
them up in a food processor with some olive oil and to keep them looking
green I add a few spinach leaves ( Chlorophyll ), I put them in freezer bags
lay them flat in the freezer ( about 1/4 to 3/8 thick )and when I need some
basil I unzip the bag and break off a chunk of basil, It is better than the
dried one.
If I want some pesto I defrost one bag, chop some nut meat or pinoli add
some garlic salt mix it in the food processor and add the defrosted basil
last, here is where the spinach do make it green
Sergio

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

Firstly, early every Spring, plant your own basil in two or three
pots.... set them out in the sun near you kitchen door at the last sign
of frost .. if you're an apartment dweller, keep them inside by the
kitchen window....failing this....keeping them in a glass of cool water
is second best. As for storing them for the winter......pull the leaves
from the stems, then rinse in cold water thoroughly and GENTLY pat as
much moisture from the leaves as possible...spread them on a long sheet
of saran,,,,,roll up the saran and fold in the sides as you go...seal in
a small baggie removing all the air and freeze....when you want them for
sauce, salad ect..unroll saran and remove desired amt and reroll and
seal and return to freezer....tastes as fresh as the day it was
picked....adding oil to basil if it not used within a few weeks results
in a dank musty taste similar to puting chopped garlic in oil...yuk.....

http://community.webtv.net/R-J-Q/FIRSTANNUALALLYEAR

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/index.html

Nexis

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the leaves
as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.

kimberly

Rick & Cyndi

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
>> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>>
>> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
>> for a few days to a week.
>>
>> Anyone?

> I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
> Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the
> leaves
> as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.
>
> kimberly
>
>========

It's obviously too early for me to playing on here today... I read that as
"...in a SMELLY jar..."

LOL

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
>> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>>
>> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
>> for a few days to a week.
>>
>> Anyone?

> I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
> Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the
> leaves
> as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.
>
> kimberly
>
>========

It's obviously too early for me to playing on here today... I read that as
"...in a SMELLY jar..."

LOL

Cyndi

Kswck

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

Question: Do you get it with roots? It can be planted or kept in water for a
few days.
If not, clip the leaves and process in a food processor for shopped fresh
basil and keep it in a zip lock bag in the fridge. If you have a
dehydrator-dry it. If not, dy it in a brown paper bag for a couple of weeks
and grind it up.
One word of caution: If you wash it-dry it well as it will turn black if
still damp.

Kswck

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

Question: Do you get it with roots? It can be planted or kept in water for a
few days.
If not, clip the leaves and process in a food processor for shopped fresh
basil and keep it in a zip lock bag in the fridge. If you have a
dehydrator-dry it. If not, dy it in a brown paper bag for a couple of weeks
and grind it up.
One word of caution: If you wash it-dry it well as it will turn black if
still damp.

Kswck

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

Question: Do you get it with roots? It can be planted or kept in water for a
few days.
If not, clip the leaves and process in a food processor for shopped fresh
basil and keep it in a zip lock bag in the fridge. If you have a
dehydrator-dry it. If not, dy it in a brown paper bag for a couple of weeks
and grind it up.
One word of caution: If you wash it-dry it well as it will turn black if
still damp.

Kswck

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

You can also use it to make pesto. It freezes well.

Kswck

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

You can also use it to make pesto. It freezes well.

Kswck

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
> I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> for a few days to a week.
>
> Anyone?

You can also use it to make pesto. It freezes well.

Ken

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:<1jeZc.65305$4o.423@fed1read01>...
> "Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> > About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
> >
> > I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> > for a few days to a week.
> >
> > Anyone?

> I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
> Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the leaves
> as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.
>
> kimberly

That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.

I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
in paper towels in a plastic bag.

And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
leaves.

Ken
Ken

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:<1jeZc.65305$4o.423@fed1read01>...
> "Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> > About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
> >
> > I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
> > for a few days to a week.
> >
> > Anyone?

> I simply put it in a small jelly jar, like flowers, with some warm water.
> Don't put it in the fridge, just set it on the counter. Just take the leaves
> as you need them...the rest will be fine for a week or two...or more.
>
> kimberly

That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.

I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
in paper towels in a plastic bag.

And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
leaves.

Ken
Kswck

> That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
> glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
> flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.
>
> I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
> in paper towels in a plastic bag.
>
> And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
> or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
> leaves.
>
> Ken

I was always tol dthat the flowers make the leaves bitter.

Kswck

> That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
> glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
> flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.
>
> I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
> in paper towels in a plastic bag.
>
> And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
> or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
> leaves.
>
> Ken

I was always tol dthat the flowers make the leaves bitter.

Christopher Green

"Kswck" > wrote in message .net>...

> > That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
> > glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
> > flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.
> >
> > I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
> > in paper towels in a plastic bag.
> >
> > And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
> > or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
> > leaves.
> >
> > Ken

> I was always tol dthat the flowers make the leaves bitter.

Not in my experience. The flowers are tasty. But if you let the basil
flower, it's putting energy into flower (and seed) production that
could have gone into leaves. It's an annual: it sets seed and dies.
Keeping it from seed production prolongs its usable life.

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

"Kswck" > wrote in message .net>...

> > That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
> > glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
> > flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.
> >
> > I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
> > in paper towels in a plastic bag.
> >
> > And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
> > or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
> > leaves.
> >
> > Ken

> I was always tol dthat the flowers make the leaves bitter.

Not in my experience. The flowers are tasty. But if you let the basil
flower, it's putting energy into flower (and seed) production that
could have gone into leaves. It's an annual: it sets seed and dies.
Keeping it from seed production prolongs its usable life.

--
Chris Green
Kswck

"Christopher Green" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> .net>...
>> >
>> > That's how I keep mine, on the counter by the sink in a short juice
>> > glass with water. The only thing I want to add is: Just like
>> > flowers, if any of the leaves are below the water line, they will rot.
>> >
>> > I would guess a second way would be to store it like lettuce wrapped
>> > in paper towels in a plastic bag.
>> >
>> > And the flowers are edible and make a great edible garnish on a salad
>> > or tomatoes or soups or whatever. Just use them like you would the
>> > leaves.
>> >
>> > Ken

>> I was always tol dthat the flowers make the leaves bitter.

> Not in my experience. The flowers are tasty. But if you let the basil
> flower, it's putting energy into flower (and seed) production that
> could have gone into leaves. It's an annual: it sets seed and dies.
> Keeping it from seed production prolongs its usable life.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Thank you.

One more trick I use if I have tons of basil at the end of summer is:

rinse the basil, half fill the blender with basil and half water and
freeze in ice cube trays, When frozen put the cubes in Large baggies. I
only use the cubes when making any kind of tomato sauce, ie, marinara,
meat, mushroom or soups such as chicken, pasta faggiole, beef or
whatever your li'l heart desires ...just drop 2 cubes in the "gravy" and
it's great, presto, a little taste of summer all winter long.