Raelene

Default cooking with Coke

Hi all,

Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.

She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.

Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

Raelene
xxx

---

modom

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:46:11 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
>She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
>Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
>Raelene
>xxx

D made a Coca Cola ham for her department's office party this season.

I made a Coke reduction earlier in the fall which might have made a
good base for a sauce if I'd not put herbs de Provence in it. The
herbs made it taste medicinal.

modom
Aria

Doesn't do much for me. Have tried a couple of chicken recipes using Coke
and haven't had a yen to try it again.

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:46:11 +0800, "Raelene"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
> >
> >She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
> >
> >Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
> >
> >Raelene
> >xxx

> D made a Coca Cola ham for her department's office party this season.
>
> I made a Coke reduction earlier in the fall which might have made a
> good base for a sauce if I'd not put herbs de Provence in it. The
> herbs made it taste medicinal.
>
> modom

Nancree

>>Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

Yes, pot roast. But be sure you use Regular Coke, NOT diet coke !
Reg

Raelene wrote:

> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

I use it as a marinade for brisket sometimes. Take a packer cut
brisket in cryopac, make a hole in the package, pour in coke
and duct tape it back up. It gets cooked the next day.

I've heard of people using Dr Pepper also.

Ray

> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

I used to have a recipe for Coca-Cola cake, but I lost it when my computer
crashed.

"Raelene" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi all,
>
> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
> Raelene
> xxx
>

> ---

alzelt

Ray wrote:

>>Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

> I used to have a recipe for Coca-Cola cake, but I lost it when my computer
> crashed.

There is a God!!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

jmcquown

Raelene wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
> Raelene

I don't know about Nigella, but a friend of mine made some sort of short
ribs for a party at my place once in a sauce that required Coca-cola. Or was
it Dr. Pepper? Whatever. It was tasty but not something I'd seek out.

Jill

John Gaughan

Ray wrote:
> I used to have a recipe for Coca-Cola cake, but I lost it when my computer
> crashed.

Coke Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 cup butter
1 cup Coke Classic
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp cocoa.
1 tsp vanilla
2 beaten eggs.
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

1. Sift together and set aside flour, sugar, and baking soda.

2. In small saucepan combine butter, 1 cup Coke Classic, buttermilk, and
cocoa. Bring to a boil then add vanilla. Slowly pour into flour mixture.
While stirring, add beaten eggs. Fold in miniature marshmallows. Pour
into baking pan that has been sprayed with no stick spray.

3. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 min. Cool approximately 5 to 10 minutes.

Frosting

1/2 cup butter
6 Tbsp Coke Classic
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 box powdered sugar
1 cup pecans

1. Bring Coke, butter and cocoa to a boil and stir in vanilla and
powdered sugar. Mix and then add pecans and pour over hot cake.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Wayne Boatwright

John Gaughan > wrote in
:

> Ray wrote:
>> I used to have a recipe for Coca-Cola cake, but I lost it when my
>> computer crashed.

> Coke Cake
>
> 2 cups flour
> 2 cups sugar
> 1 Tbsp baking soda
> 1 cup butter
> 1 cup Coke Classic
> 1/2 cup buttermilk
> 3 Tbsp cocoa.
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 2 beaten eggs.
> 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
>
> 1. Sift together and set aside flour, sugar, and baking soda.
>
> 2. In small saucepan combine butter, 1 cup Coke Classic, buttermilk,
> and cocoa. Bring to a boil then add vanilla. Slowly pour into flour
> mixture. While stirring, add beaten eggs. Fold in miniature
> marshmallows. Pour into baking pan that has been sprayed with no stick
> spray.
>
> 3. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 min. Cool approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
>
> Frosting
>
> 1/2 cup butter
> 6 Tbsp Coke Classic
> 3 Tbsp cocoa
> 1 tsp vanilla
> 1 box powdered sugar
> 1 cup pecans
>
> 1. Bring Coke, butter and cocoa to a boil and stir in vanilla and
> powdered sugar. Mix and then add pecans and pour over hot cake.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

I used to make this back in the mid-1970s. It's actually a rather good,
if quite sweet, cake. When I took one into the office, it wouldn't last
20 minutes@

Wayne

Bob

John Gaughan provided:

> Coke Cake

<snip>

Here's another one; I think I got it off rfc some years ago:

Colombian Fresh Banana Cake with Sea Foam Frosting

>From the promotional booklet ``International Cooking with Coca-Cola(tm)''

1 package (18 1/2 oz.) yellow cake mix (do not use mix with pudding added or
which requires oil)
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 cup Coca-Cola
1 cup (2 to 3) mashed ripe bananas
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)

1. In large mixing bowl combine mix, baking soda and eggs. Measure
Coca-Cola, stir briskly until foaming stops, and add to batter. Blend
ingredients just until moistened, then beat at high speed of electric mixer
for 3 minutes, scraping bowl often.

2. Combine mashed bananas with lemon juice. Add to cake batter with nuts.
Beat 1 minute at medium speed.

3. Turn into a generously greased and lightly floured 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake
at 350F about 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on rack 15 minutes,
remove cake from pan and turn right side up on rack to finish cooling.

Sea Foam Frosting:

2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 cup Coca-Cola
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash salt

1. In top of double boiler, combine all ingredients except vanilla and beat
1 minute at high speed of electric mixer. Place over boiling water (water
should not touch bottom of top part); beat on high speed about 7 minutes
until frosting forms peaks when beater is raised.

2. Remove from boiling water (for smoothest frosting, empty into large
bowl). Add vanilla and continue beating on high speed until thick enough to
spread, about 2 minutes. Spread on sides and top of cold banana cake.

To reduce foam so Coca-Cola can be accurately measured, use at room
temperature and stir rapidly.

Charles Gifford

"alzelt" > wrote in message

> Ray wrote:
>
> >>Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

> > I used to have a recipe for Coca-Cola cake, but I lost it when my

computer
> > crashed.
> >

> There is a God!!!
> --
> Alan

Of course there is Alan. Here is a nice recipe for you.

Charlie

COLA CAKE

Source: unknown

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup carbonated cola beverage
1/4 cup miniature or cut-up regular-size marshmallows
2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and soda; set aside. In saucepan over low
heat stir butter, cola, marshmallows and cocoa until blended and
marshmallows melt. With whisk or fork, stir into flour mixture. Stir in
buttermilk and egg until blended. Turn into a greased 8x8x2-inch pan. Bake
in 350F oven 30 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on rack. Frost with Chocolate-Cola Icing. Cut into squares to
serve. Makes about 12 servings.

CHOCOLATE-COLA ICING:

1/4 cup butter
2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbs. carbonated cola beverage
1.5 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

In a saucepan over low heat, stir butter, cocoa and cola until melted.
Remove from heat. With whisk or fork, beat in sugar until smooth. Stir in
pecans.

Charles Gifford

"Raelene" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi all,
>
> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
> Raelene
> xxx

Here is a very representative direction for this dish. It can be rather
good.

Charlie

SOUTHERN STYLE BAKED HAM WITH COLA

Source: unknown

20 oz. can sliced pineapple
1 fully cooked smoked ham, whole or half
2 to 4 cups (depending on size of ham) cola

Arrange pineapple on ham, secure with toothpicks. Place ham in shallow pan.
Pour cola over ham. Bake 15 minutes per pound in a preheated 350F oven,
basting with pan juices occasionally. Remove to warm platter and let stand
20 minutes before carving.

Julia Altshuler

I'm curious enough to ask this question, not curious enough to try the
recipe. Does the coke add a distinctive flavor to the cake that the
people who make it are seeking? Or is the coke there as a novelty and
just something to make it sweet? I know that during the Depression and
rationing days of WWII, it wasn't unusual for people to come up with
recipes that used odd ingredients because the usual ingredients were
expensive or hard to find. So if someone had a case of Coke and no
sugar but they wanted a cake, they'd come up with Coke cake, not because
it was better than their usual recipe, but because they were making do
with what they had. Would you say that was the case with this recipe?

I've never cared for Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper and can't imagine seeking
out those flavors on purpose, but, oddly enough, I've always loved root
beer (though as an adult I think it is way too sweet) and think a root
beer flavored cake might have some merit.

--Lia

RMiller

>I've never cared for Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper and can't imagine seeking
>out those flavors on purpose, but, oddly enough, I've always loved root
>beer (though as an adult I think it is way too sweet) and think a root
>beer flavored cake might have some merit.

I really do not know about coke flavored cake, but my sister uses coke, pours
it over ham and then bakes the ham, I have to say, I was prepared to loathe it,
but it was good.
Rosie

Dave Smith

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I've never cared for Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper and can't imagine seeking
> out those flavors on purpose, but, oddly enough, I've always loved root
> beer (though as an adult I think it is way too sweet) and think a root
> beer flavored cake might have some merit.

My wife has a recipe for a Bundt cake that uses 7 Up or Sprite. It's pretty
good.

Mabry

"Raelene" > wrote in message
u...
: Hi all,
[snipped]
: Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
:
: Raelene

A more plebian use of Coke is to deglaze the pan in which a ham slice
has been fried. In the South, Coke was always on hand, so this was
merely a way of making a quick sweet 'gravy'. Leftover coffee was also
used this way. BTW this is for country ham, not the traditional
sweetened & watered product.

-Mabry-

@korrnet dot o.r.g

> : Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

A friend of mine pours a can of Coke in the bottom of her roasting pan
when cooking a turkey.

Dimiri

"Raelene" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi all,
>
> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
> Raelene
> xxx

There are several thousand recipes - basically it is just flavored sugar
water.

Here's one sweet and one savory.

Coke cake
2 c. flour
1/2 lb. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda (baking)
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 c. sugar
1 c. coca cola
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 c. miniature marshmallows

Combine flour, sugar and cocoa, mixing bowl. Heat butter and Coke to
boiling. Pour over flour mixture and mix well. Add milk, eggs, soda,
vanilla and marshmallows. (Mixed batter will be thin with marshmallows
floating on top.) Bake at 350 degrees in flat cake pan, 40-45 minutes. --
COCOA COLA ICING:--

1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1 c. nuts
3/4 box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
6 tbsp. Coke
3 tbsp. cocoa

Combine Coke and butter. Heat to boiling. Pour over powdered sugar and
cocoa mix. Beat well. Add nuts and vanilla; beat. Pour over warm cake.

Cola roast
Combine and rub on a 4 to 5 lb. brisket or bottom round roast: 1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. oil
12 oz. bottle chili sauce
10 oz. bottle coke
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. (or 1 tbsp. according to desired hotness) of Tabasco sauce

Brown roast in oil. Drain off drippings. Combine remaining ingredients
and pour over mix. Cover and bake at 325 degrees (covered) for 3 hours or
until tender.

Dimitri

Marilyn George

** RECIPES USING COCA COLA **

COCA COLA BARBEQUE CHICKEN

1 chicken, cut up
1 to 1 1/2 lg. onions
10 to 12 oz. Coca Cola
10 to 12 oz. ketchup

Lay chicken in baking dish. Slice onion, onto chicken. Mix cake and
ketchup and pour over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2
hours.

BARBEQUE BEEF ROAST

1 (3-4 lb.) roast
1 onion, sliced
1 (14 oz.) bottle catsup
1 (12 oz.) container classic Coca Cola

Place roast in small roasting pan. Pour catsup and Coca Cola on top.
Place sliced onion on top and cover. Cook in 325 degree oven for 3 1/2
hours. Do not place roast on rack in pan. Do not salt, pepper or brown
roast.

MEXICAN PIE CRUST

4 c. flour
1 c. + 2 tbsp. shortening
3/4 tsp. salt
6-8 oz. Coca Cola

Sift flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Slowly add Coke, until dough
forms a ball. Form into pie crusts and use as recipes direct. Makes
about 5 single crusts. Very tender crust. This is also used for
dessert empanadas. Roll out dough and cut into 3" circles. Place
teaspoon of marmalade or jam on circle. Fold in half and seal edges.
Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes. Roll
in granulated sugar immediately upon removal from oven

CROCK POT ROAST

1 sirloin tip roast or boneless chuck roast
1 can Coca Cola
1 med. cut up onions
15 oz. can sm. whole potatoes
15 oz. can fingerling carrots or
sliced carrots
4 oz. can chopped mushrooms

Wash meat and place in crock pot; add onion and Coke and salt and
pepper to taste. Cook on high for 6-8 hours. In last hour, add
potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms and let entire meal cook at least
another hour. Meat should fall apart. If you want to cook it on low,
it will take around 12 hours. For leftovers, add tomatoes, corn,
celery, beans; whatever. Add a gravy mix and you have a good stew or
soup.

COCA COLA CAKE ICING

1/2 c. butter
6 tbsp. Coca Cola
1 c. pecans
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 box confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine butter, cocoa, and Coca Cola in pan and heat to a boil. Pour
over sugar. After beating, add pecans and vanilla. Ice over hot cake.

COCA COLA CAKE

1 regular cake mix, any variety
1 c. Coca Cola

Follow the directions on the back of your cake mix but replace your
water with Cola. It will be a sweeter cake. Bake 25 degrees less than
normal.

CHERRY - COKE JELLO MOLD

1 can bing cherries, dark and seedless
2 sm. boxes cherry Jello
1 c. drained, crushed pineapple
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
12 oz. Coca-Cola
1/2 c. nuts, chopped

Cook cherries, sugar and water with cherry juice until sugar
dissolves. Add Jello, cook until it dissolves - let cool. Add
Coca-Cola, pineapple and nuts. Put into a 9 x 13 inch pan.

TOPPING:
2 pkgs. Dream Whip
8 oz. cream cheese
Nuts to top

Make Dream Whip as per package directions. Beat in cream cheese.
Spread over Jello and sprinkle nuts over top.

COCA COLA BARBECUE SAUCE

2 tbsp. butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 c. catsup
16 oz. bottle Coca-Cola
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. prepared mustard
2 tsp. vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the
onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, do not brown. Add the remaining
ingredients. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour. Makes about 1
1/2 cups.

COCA COLA PUNCH

2 pkgs. strawberry Kool Aid
2 pkgs. cherry Kool Aid
1 tall can pineapple juice
2 1/2 cans full (quarts) water
1 c. Coca Cola
3 1/2 c. sugar

Mix together; chill; serve. Makes 8 quarts.

COCA COLA GREAT BRISKET

1 (6 to 8 lb.) brisket
1 (12 oz.) can Coca-Cola
1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 c. barbecue sauce

Mix cola, chili sauce and onion soup mix. Place brisket fat side up in
a Dutch oven or 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish, pour liquid mixture over
brisket and cover tightly with lid or aluminum foil. Bake at 325
degrees for 30 minutes per pound, about 3 1/2 hours or until tender.
Trim off fat after cooking. You may cook the brisket all day long at
220 degrees. Pour barbecue sauce over top and warm in oven. Makes 8 to
10 servings.

COCA COLA STEAK

1 lb. round steak or veal cutlets
1 c. tomato sauce
1 Coca Cola
1 med. onion, cut in rings
1 med. green bell pepper, cut in rings

Salt, pepper, and flour steak. Put 1 tablespoon grease, steak, onion,
bell pepper, tomato sauce and Coca Cola in skillet in this order.
Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes over low heat.

COCA COLA BAKED BRISKET

1 med. beef brisket
1 (12 oz.) can Coca Cola
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 bottle chili sauce

Place brisket, fat side up, in oblong baking dish. Combine Coke, soup
mix and chili sauce and pour over brisket. Bake at 250 degrees for 3
1/2 to 4 hours. Baste a couple of times every hour. For the last 30
minutes, turn brisket, fat side down, and baste.

COCA COLA MEXICAN PORK ROAST

6 canned or dried red chilies
3 cloves garlic for sauce
1 tbsp. crushed oregano
16 oz. Coca Cola
1 (3 1/2 lb.) pork loin roast
Salt & pepper
4-6 cloves garlic for stuffing roast
3 tbsp. vegetable oil

If using dried chilies, boil in water and let stand until soft; drain.
Remove stem, seeds and veins; then process with garlic, oregano and 4
ounces of Coke in food processor. Salt and pepper roast. Make slits in
various places and insert garlic cloves. Brown roast on all sides in
oil; place roast in baking pan. Spread chili mixture over meat and
pour on remaining Coke. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Let meat
stand 15 minutes before serving. Serves 12.

COCA COLA SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN

1 c. ketchup
1 c. Coca-Cola
3 split chicken breasts
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. oil

Melt butter and oil in frying pan over medium heat. Brown the chicken
breasts on both sides. Add the ketchup and Coca-Cola. Reduce heat to
low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Adjust the lid to leave a small
section open. Continue to simmer 35 to 40 minutes until done. Pierce
chicken with fork to see if it is done. Juices from chicken should be
clear.

COCA COLA QUICK AND EASY PORK CHOPS

4-6 pork chops
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. coca cola
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Arrange chops in a baking dish. In a bowl, mix together brown sugar
and coca cola. Melt butter and pour over chops. Then pour sugar
mixture. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over chops. Bake at 350 degrees
for 40 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

COCA COLA BROWNIES

2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 c. coca-cola
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift flour and sugar. Heat butter, cocoa and coca-cola to boiling;
pour over sugar mixture. Mix buttermilk, eggs, baking soda,
marshmallows and vanilla; add to mixture. Mix well; batter will be
thin. Pour into greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake 30 minutes at
350 degrees.

COCA COLA BROWNIE FROSTING

1 c. margarine
3 tbsp. cocoa
6 tbsp. coca-cola
1 (16 oz.) box powdered sugar (sifted)
1 c. nuts
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine margarine, cocoa, coca-cola and heat to boiling. Pour over
sugar. Blend with mixer until smooth. Add nuts, vanilla. Pour over
cake while frosting is hot.

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:46:11 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
>She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
>Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
>Raelene
>xxx
>

>---

Marilyn George

** RECIPES USING COCA COLA **

Morning Glory Muffins
1 C oats, finely ground
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C white flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C egg substitute
1 C sugar
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp canola oil
3/4 C Coca-Cola®
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C finely grated carrots
1/2 C finely grated zucchini
1/2 C raisins
1/4 C chopped nuts (optional)

Mix together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, Whisk together egg
substitute, sugar, applesauce, oil, Coke®, and vanilla. Gently fold
wet and dry ingredients together. Fold in grated veggies, raisins and
nuts until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Spoon batter
into a nonstick muffin tin and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Teriyaki Chicken
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips (can also use
1 lb chicken wings, trimmed)
1 C soy sauce
1/2 C Coca-Cola®
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt, pepper and chili powder to taste
1/4 C vegetable oil

Combine all marinade ingredients and marinate chicken overnight. Place
chicken on a well-oiled pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, slide chicken around in the pan to sop up the
carmelized sauce, baste with additional marinade and return to oven
for another 15 minutes.

Coca-Cola Chicken Wings (or Ribs)
1 cup brown sugar
1 can Coca-Cola®
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbs. soya sauce (a Japanese sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 lbs. of chicken wings or ribs

In a large casserole, combine the brown sugar, Coca-Cola®, onions,
garlic, soya sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed. Place chicken
wings or ribs in sauce mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours. To
thicken sauce, mix in a cornstarch mixture. Delicious served with
rice.

Barbecued Ham
2 pounds of ham (chipped)
1 cup ketchup
1 cup Coca-Cola®
1 chopped onion

At your local deli, purchase 2 pounds of good quality ham and have it
chipped. In a skillet, cook the ketchup and Coca Cola with the chopped
onion. Cook slow on medium heat. When it starts to thicken, add the
chipped ham and cook to desired consistency. Serve on hard rolls.

Casserole BBQ Chicken
About 3 lbs. cut-up chicken or chicken breasts, thighs, legs
1/3 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
About 1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
1 cup ketchup
1 cup Coca-Cola®
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. hickory smoked salt
1/2 tsp. basil leaves
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. pepper

Rinse chicken pieces; pat dry. Coat chicken with the flour and the 2
tsp. salt. Brown pieces on all sides in the hot oil, then place pieces
in a 3-qt. casserole. (Discard drippings.) Combine remaining
ingredients, mixing well. Spoon sauce over chicken, covering all
pieces. Cover casserole, bake in moderate oven, 350°F, about 1 1/4
hours, or until chicken is fork-tender. If desired, serve chicken with
sauces on hot cooked rice. Makes 4 to 6 servings (about 3 cups sauce).
*To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room
temperature and stir rapidly.

Cherry Coke Ham
Take one whole ham, scored, then add whole cloves in the scored areas.
Use 1 cup dark brown sugar patted on to ham. Reserve about 2/3 cup.
Add 1 1/2 liter of Cherry Coke®. Pour some over the brown sugar
slowly. When some of the sugar washes off, add the rest of the brown
sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Let cool, remove cloves and slice when cool.
Take the liquid that is left and freeze until the next time you cook a
ham.
The ham will be very moist and delicious.

Chinese Pepper Steak
1-1.5 lbs. Boneless top round or sirloin steak
2 tbsp. oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup canned undiluted beef broth (bouillon)
1 cup thinly sliced green pepper strips
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
1/2 cup Coca-Cola®
2 medium, ripe tomatoes
2.5 tbsp. corn starch
1/4 cup Coca-Cola
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Hot cooked rice
Trim all fat from meat and cut into pencil-thin strips. In deep
skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil, garlic, and salt. Add meat and brown
over high heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork.
Add beef broth, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until meat is
fork-tender. Stir in green pepper, celery, onions, and 1/2 cup
Coca-Cola. Cover; simmer 5 minutes. Do not overcook; vegetables should
be tender-crisp. Peel tomatoes, cut into wedges, gently stir into
meat. Blend corn starch with the 1/4 cup Coca-Cola and soy sauce. Stir
into meat and cook until thickened, about 1 minute, stirring lightly
with fork. Serve over hot rice. Makes 6 (3/4 cup) servings.
*To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room
temperature and stir rapidly.

Easy Coca-Cola Chicken
1 cut-up chicken
1 can of Coca-Cola®
1 cup ketchup

Carefully put chicken pieces in an electric frying pan. Salt to taste.
Combine Coca-Cola and ketchup and pour over meat. Cook at 350 degrees
for 1 hour or until done. This recipe can also be used with ribs.

Coca-Cola Ham
½ ham (5-6 lb.)
1 cup brown sugar
1 ½ cup Coca-Cola®
1 cup crushed pineapple (optional)

Wash ham thoroughly. Rub fat side with brown sugar. Pour Coca-Cola
over ham. Pour crushed pineapple over ham. Bake at 450 degrees for 3
hours. Makes 6 servings.

This is a great recipe and keeps the ham very moist.

Family Pot Roast
About 3lbs. chuck roast, any cut
2 tablespoons oil
1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
1 cup Coca-Cola®
1 pkg. (1 1/2 oz.) spaghetti sauce mix
1 cup finely cut onion
3/4 cup finely cut celery
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
In a Dutch oven, brown meat in the oil, about 10 minutes on each side.
Drain off fat. Break up tomatoes in their juice; add remaining
ingredients, stirring until spaghetti sauce mix is dissolved. Pour
over meat. Cover, simmer slowly about 2 1/2 hours or until meat is
fork-tender. Thicken gravy and serve over sliced meat. Makes 6 to 8
servings (about 3 cups sauce).

*Coca-Cola and spaghetti sauce mix give a unique flavor to the saucy
meat gravy.

French Onion Soup
1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 cups thinly sliced onions
2 cans (10.5 oz each) beef broth (bouillon)
3/4 cup Coca-Cola®
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Vinegar
1/8 tsp. Pepper
Thick French bread slices
Grated Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in heavy saucepan; add onions and cook until golden; do
not brown. Add undiluted beef broth, 1 soup can of water, Coca-Cola,
salt, vinegar, and pepper. Cover; simmer 20-25 minutes. In a broiler,
toast one side of the French bread slices. Turn, generously sprinkle
with Parmesan cheese and toast until browned. Ladle soup into deep
bowls and top with toast, cheese side up. Makes about 6 cups or 4
servings.
*To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room
temperature and stir rapidly.

Ginger Chicken Wings
2 slices of ginger
12 chicken wings, just the middle section
2 tsp cooking oil
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
1 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola®

Heat a small-medium sized pot, add the oil and ginger.
When the oil is hot, brown the wings on both sides. Do this in batches
if necessary. When all the wings are browned, take out the ginger, and
add the soy sauce and Coke into the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn to
medium/low-medium heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until meat
falls of the bone easily. Taste the sauce to see if it is needs more
soy sauce. If not, turn heat back on high for a few minutes to let the
sauce thicken. Make sure the wings are covered with the Coke/soy sauce
mixture. Add more sauce according to taste. Serve.

Matchless Meat Loaf
About 1 1/2lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons finely cut parsley
1 egg
1/2 cup Coca-Cola®
2 tablespoons catsup
1 1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper
In a bowl, break up meat with a fork; add crumbs, onion and parsley,
mixing well. Beat egg, mix with remaining ingredients. Pour over meat.
With fork, toss lightly tp blend thoroughly. Mixture will be soft.
Turn into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake in a moderate oven, 350°F, 1
hour. Let set about 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

*This loaf will be moist and tender if you mix it lightly with a fork.

Southern Belle Salad
1 can (16 oz.) pitted dark sweet cherries
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cherry gelatin
1 cup Coca-Cola®
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese
1/2 cup cut-up peacans or walnuts
Drain cherry juice. Bring 3/4 cup of juice to boiling; add to gelatin.
Stir until dissolved. Stir in Coca-Cola and lemon juice. Chill until
gelatin mounds slightly. Cut cheese into very small pieces. Fold
cheese, nuts and whole cherries into gelatin. Spoon into 7 individual
molds. Chill until firm. Makes 7 (1/2 cup) servings.

*A delicious, rich salad. The old time favorite for a ladies luncheon.

Steak Fried Onions
2 medium white onions
1/8 cup Coca-Cola®
Meat drippings (from a piece of meat you have fried or pan drippings
from a roasted piece)

Peel and slice 2 medium white onions. Drop sliced onions in meat
drippings cooked on high heat and stir slightly. Add 1/8 cup of
Coca-Cola. Stir continually until the pan is deglazed and onions are
opaque (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from pan and serve. Great with
beef, pork and hamburgers.

Sweet-Sour Cabbage
About 1.5 lbs red or green cabbage
2 medium apples
1/2 cup Coca-Cola®
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. bacon drippings
1 tsp. salt
1/2 to 1 tsp. caraway seeds
Coarsely shred or cut cabbage (should measure 3 cups). Core and dice
unpeeled apples. In pan, toss together all ingredients. Cover, simmer
until cabbage is tender, about 25 minutes; stir occasionally. Makes 4
(1/2 cup) servings.
*To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room
temperature and stir rapidly.

Thick Barbecue Sauce
2 medium onions
3/4 cup Coca-Cola®
3/4 cup catsup
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Shred or blender-chop onions. Combine all ingredients. Bring to a
boil; cover pan; reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes until sauce
is very thick. Stir occasionally. Makes about 2 cups. To serve, heat
frankfurters in sauce or spoon sauce over cooked burgers.

*An easy-to-do spicy sauce to use on frankfurters or burgers.

Fresh Banana Cake With Sea Foam Frosting
Cake:
1 pkg. (18.5 oz) yellow cake mix*
1/8 tsp. Baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 cup Coca-Cola®
1 cup (2 to 3) mashed ripe bananas
2 tsp. Lemon juice
1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
*do not use mix with pudding added or which requires oil
Sea Foam Frosting:
2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
1.5 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp. Cream of tartar or 1 tbsp. Light corn syrup
1/3 cup Coca-Cola
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
Dash salt

Cake:
In large mixing bowl combine mix, baking soda and eggs. Measure
Coca-Cola, stir briskly until foaming stops, and add to batter. Blend
ingredients just until moistened, then beat at high speed of electric
mixer for 3 minutes, scraping bowl often. Combine mashed bananas with
lemon juice. Add to cake batter with nuts. Beat 1 minute at medium
speed and turn into a generously greased and lightly floured
13x9x2-inch pan. Bake at 350° about 40 minutes or until cake tests
done. Cool on rack 15 minutes, remove cake from pan and turn right
side up on rack to finish cooling.
Frosting:
In top of double boiler, combine all ingredients except vanilla and
beat 1 minute at high speed of electric mixer. Place over boiling
water (water should not touch bottom of top part); beat on high speed
about 7 minutes until frosting forms peaks when beater is raised.
Remove from boiling water (for smoothest frosting, empty into large
bowl). Add vanilla and continue beating on high speed until thick
enough to spread, about 2 minutes. Spread on sides and top of cold
banana cake.
*To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room
temperature and stir rapidly.

Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake
1 18.5-ounce devil's food cake mix (see note)
1 16-ounce bottle Coca-Cola®
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
Half 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips, about 1/2 cup
12 large fresh, ripe strawberries, preferably unhulled
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 16-ounce package confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons powered chocolate drink mix such as Nestle's Quik
1 1/2 teasoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350°F; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Prepare cake mix
according to paackage directions, using 1 1/3 cups cola in place of
water and stirring 1 tablespoon grated orange peel in batter. Pour
batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean. Invert cake onto wire rack cool completely.
Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before
decorating.
Note: For firmer cake, use one 16-ounce package of pound cake mix,
stirring in 1/3 cup powered chocolate drink mix along with grated
orange peel. Use cola for the liquid; bake as directed.
1. Stir chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over very low heat
until melted and smooth; remove from heat. Dip strawberries into
chocolate to coat halfway, placing each berry as it is dipped on
cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate berries until ready to
use.

2. Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with sharp
serrated knife; place bottow layer on large cookie sheet.

3. Beat butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light
and fluffy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and chocolate drink
mix until smooth. Beat in 1/3 cup of remaining cola, remaining 1
tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla until thoroughly blended and
smooth. Spread half of frosting over bottom cake layer; top with
second layer. Swirl remaining frosting over top of cake. Cut cake into
12 portions; arrange on platter. Decorate with chocolate-dipped
strawberries and birthday candles, if desired. Make 12 servings.
*Better birthdays begin with a cake that contains everyone's
favorites: devil's food mix, cola, chocolate chips, powered Chocolate
drink and fresh strawberries. And it's as easy as it is delicious!

Coca-Cola Cherry Salad
1 can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup water
1 large package of cherry gelatin mix
1 7 ½-ounce can of crushed pineapple, not drained
1 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola®
1/2 cup of chopped nuts
1 tub of chilled whipped topping
3 ounces of cream cheese

Boil the pie filling and water. Remove from heat and add the gelatin
mix. Stir until mixed. Add the pineapple with its juice from the can,
and add the Coke. Stir in the nuts and cool until set. Meanwhile, mix
together the whipped topping and cream cheese and spread on the cooled
and set salad. Serve.

Coconut Shake
1 1/2 cups of Coca-Cola®
2 cups of milk
1 package of coconut pudding
1 package of peanuts (medium size)

First make the coconut pudding according to the package directions.
Put the pudding in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. In a large bowl
combine 2 cups of milk, the pudding and 1 1/2 cups of Coca-Cola. Mix
together and gradually add peanuts. Let stand for 2 minutes, and then
mix in a blender. Let stand again for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
Enjoy!

Cola Cake
Cake:
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups small marshmallows
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coca-Cola®
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Coca-Cola
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift sugar and flour. Add
marsh- mallows. In saucepan, mix butter, oil, cocoa, and Coca-Cola.
Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Dissolve
baking soda in buttermilk just before adding to batter along with eggs
and vanilla extract, mixing well. Pour into a well-greased
9-by-13-inch pan and bake 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and frost
immediately.
To make frosting, combine butter, cocoa and Coca-Cola in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil and pour over confectioners' sugar, blending well. Add
vanilla extract and pecans. Spread over hot cake. When cool, cut into
squares and serve.

Cuba Libre Chiffon Pie
1 cup sugar, divided
1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup Coca-Cola®
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup dark rum
1 cup whipped topping or whipped cream
1 9-inch graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust or baked pie shell
2 tablespoons grated lime peel
In top of double boiler; stir together 1/2 cup of the sugar; gelatin
and salt. Stir in all Coca-Cola. Beat egg yolks; stir into Coca-Cola
mixture. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until gelatin
is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from boiling water; stir in lime
juice and rum. Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from spoon.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2
cup sugar; beating until stiff and glossy. Fold gelatin mixture into
whipped topping, then carefully fold this into egg whites. Chill
several minutes then pile into pie crust. Sprinkle with grated peel.
Chill several hours until firm. Makes 1 9-inch pie or 6 to 8 servings.
If desired, top with a dollop of whipped cream.

*A grand finale dessert version of the popular rum and Coca-Cola
drink.

Date-Nut Bread
1 pkg. (8 oz.) pitted dates
1 1/4 cup cups Coca-Cola®
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or granulated sugar
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped peacans or walnuts
Cut up dates. Heat Coca-Cola to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in
dates, mixing very well. Stir in sugar and oil. Let cool while
preparing other ingredients. Lightly spoon flour into cup to measure.
Stir together flour, baking powder and soda. Add to dates, mixing
thoroughly. Stir in well-beaten egg, vanilla and nuts. Pour into
greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake in moderate oven, 350°F,
about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan, set on rack, 20 minutes. Remove loaf from pan, set it on
rack, top side up. When cold, wrap, store overnight before slicing.
Makes one loaf, about 2 1/2lbs.

*An easy, hand-mixed quick bread. The moist, fruity slices make
delicious cream cheese sandwiches.

Easy Low-fat Cake
1 box of regular or low-fat cake mix
1 12-ounce can of diet Coke®

Use any regular or low-fat cake mix and add the diet Coke. Bake the
cake according to the package directions.

You can frost the cake a couple of different ways... Sprinkle the cake
with confectioners sugar, or mix together an 8-ounce tub of Cool Whip
and 1 package of sugar-free, fat-free pudding mix (any flavor
appropriate to cake flavor).

Variations:
diet Coke/Chocolate Cake Mix
diet Sprite/White Cake Mix
diet Cherry Coke®/Cherry Cake Mix

Gingerbread Deluxe
1 pkg. (14 oz.) gingerbread mix
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup Coca-Cola®
Combine all ingredients. Beat vigorously with spoon until very well
blended, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into 8x8x2-inch greased and flour
pan. Bake in moderate oven, 350°F, 30 to 35 minutes or until center
springs back when lightly touched. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan
and set on rack. Serve as a hot bread or as a desert with whipped
topping. Makes 6 servings (about 2x4 inches).

Smoothies
Tropical Fruit Smoothie
3/4 cup Minute Maid® Premium Blends Orange Passion juice
1/2 cup cubed mango
1/2 cup cubed papaya
1/2 cup cubed pineapple
2 scoops pineapple sherbet
1/3 cup vanilla-flavored soy milk
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
1 cup crushed ice

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour
smoothie into a large glass and garnish if desired. Each recipe makes
one 10-ounce serving -- double or triple the ingredients and make
additional batches for more servings.

Remember the following tips for "perfecting" your smoothie:
Freeze fruit ahead of time for a frostier drink
Try to use the freshest fruit in season
Too thick? Add more juice
Too thin? Add more fruit
Too tart? Add a sugar substitute, molasses or maple syrup
Too sweet? Add citrus juice
Try the following delicious combinations, too. Simply follow the same
instructions as above.

Fruit & Nut Breakfast Smoothie
3/4 cup Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
2 small apricots, peeled and cubed
1 medium nectarine, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
2 scoops orange sherbet or fat-free vanilla-flavored frozen yogurt
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 cup crushed ice

Three Melon Smoothie
3/4 cup Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
2 scoops fat-free vanilla-flavored frozen yogurt
1/2 cup cubed cantaloupe
1/2 cup cubed honeydew melon
1/2 cup cubed watermelon
1 cup crushed ice

Luscious Lime Smoothie
3/4 cup Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
2 scoops lime sherbet
1 ripe medium banana
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 kiwifruit, peeled and halved
1 cup crushed ice

Peanut Butter-Berry Smoothie
3/4 cup Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
1/4 cup plain soy milk
1 ripe medium banana
1/2 cup cubed cantaloupe
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sliced strawberries or raspberries
1 cup crushed ice

Berry-Blue Vanilla Smoothie
3/4 cup Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
1 medium peach, cubed
1/2 cup blueberries
2 scoops fat-free vanilla-flavored frozen yogurt
1 tablespoon crushed pecans
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup crushed ice

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:46:11 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
>She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
>Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
>Raelene
>xxx
>

>---

PaulaGarlic

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > I've never cared for Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper and can't imagine seeking
> > out those flavors on purpose, but, oddly enough, I've always loved root
> > beer (though as an adult I think it is way too sweet) and think a root
> > beer flavored cake might have some merit.
> >

> My wife has a recipe for a Bundt cake that uses 7 Up or Sprite. It's

pretty
> good.

I made a pound cake yesterday that called for 7Up. I don't like products
with corn syrup and so on so I substituted some of Reed's Extra Ginger Brew
(my favorite carbonated beverage). It's a very, very rich and sweet cake.
And very good.

Now, I am thinking a cake made China Cola might be good, too.

Paula

Julia Altshuler

The cool thing about baking with soft drinks is that you can use the
carbonated drink for both sweetness and leavening. The trouble is that
nearly every recipe calls for the soda and sugar and baking powder.
That defeats the purpose as near as I can tell.

I once experimented with beer bread. It was basically beer and flour
mixed together and baked. The result was rustic, crusty, dry and edible.

--Lia

alzelt

Charles Gifford wrote:

>>>I used to have a recipe for Coca-Cola cake, but I lost it when my

> computer
>
>>>crashed.
>>>

>>There is a God!!!
>>--
>>Alan

> Of course there is Alan. Here is a nice recipe for you.
>
> Charlie
>
> COLA CAKE
>
> Source: unknown
>
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 tsp. baking soda
> 1/2 cup butter
> 1/2 cup carbonated cola beverage
> 1/4 cup miniature or cut-up regular-size marshmallows
> 2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa
> 1/4 cup buttermilk
> 1 egg, beaten
>
> In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and soda; set aside. In saucepan over low
> heat stir butter, cola, marshmallows and cocoa until blended and
> marshmallows melt. With whisk or fork, stir into flour mixture. Stir in
> buttermilk and egg until blended. Turn into a greased 8x8x2-inch pan. Bake
> in 350F oven 30 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
> Cool in pan on rack. Frost with Chocolate-Cola Icing. Cut into squares to
> serve. Makes about 12 servings.
>

> CHOCOLATE-COLA ICING:
>
> 1/4 cup butter
> 2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
> 2 tbs. carbonated cola beverage
> 1.5 cups confectioner's sugar
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
>
> In a saucepan over low heat, stir butter, cocoa and cola until melted.
> Remove from heat. With whisk or fork, beat in sugar until smooth. Stir in
> pecans.

Beet it!!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Snowfeet1

Go to google and type in coca cola recipes - they're endless

j.j.

Hark! I heard "Raelene" > say:

> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

Just the following cake; the cake itself was not that special, but
I kind of liked the icing (Coke and cocoa go well together):

COCA-COLA CAKE

2 C. All-purpose flour
2 C. Granulated sugar
1 C. Margarine
1 C. Coca-Cola
3 T Cocoa
½ C. Buttermilk
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 C. Miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, then cover bottom with
marshmallows. In large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar;
set aside.

In small, heavy saucepan, bring margarine, cola and cocoa
to boil; pour over flour and sugar and mix thoroughly. Add
buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla.

Pour into prepared pan and bake 35 minutes or until
toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. While
cake bakes, prepare Coca-Cola Frosting:

Icing:

1 stick margarine
3 tbsp. cocoa
6 tbsp. coke
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar
1 cup Chopped nuts (optional)

In small saucepan, bring butter, Coca-Cola, and cocoa to a
boil. Add the confectioners' sugar, and vanilla. Mix and
spread on the cake while both are warm.

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Sami

"j.j." > wrote in message
> Hark! I heard "Raelene" > say:
>
> > Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
> >
> > She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
> >
> > Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?

> Just the following cake; the cake itself was not that special, but
> I kind of liked the icing (Coke and cocoa go well together):
>
> COCA-COLA CAKE
>
> 2 C. All-purpose flour
> 2 C. Granulated sugar
> 1 C. Margarine
> 1 C. Coca-Cola
> 3 T Cocoa
> ½ C. Buttermilk
> 2 Eggs, beaten
> 1 tsp. Baking soda
> ¼ tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. Vanilla
> 2 C. Miniature marshmallows
>
> Preheat oven to 350° F.
>
> Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, then cover bottom with
> marshmallows. In large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar;
> set aside.
>
> In small, heavy saucepan, bring margarine, cola and cocoa
> to boil; pour over flour and sugar and mix thoroughly. Add
> buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
>
> Pour into prepared pan and bake 35 minutes or until
> toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. While
> cake bakes, prepare Coca-Cola Frosting:
>
> Icing:
>
> 1 stick margarine
> 3 tbsp. cocoa
> 6 tbsp. coke
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1 box powdered sugar
> 1 cup Chopped nuts (optional)
>
> In small saucepan, bring butter, Coca-Cola, and cocoa to a
> boil. Add the confectioners' sugar, and vanilla. Mix and
> spread on the cake while both are warm.
>

> --
> j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
> ..fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

DH (who is a coca-cola collector) received an entire cookbook called
"Classic Cooking with Coca-Cola". It is written by Elizabeth Candler Grahm
(who is the great-great-granddaughter of Asa Griggs Candler, the founder of
Coca-Cola) and Ralph Roberts.

hw

I did a pot roast once in the crock...came out okay..

Harriet & critters..J J the world famous jack russell terrior and PK the
lady manx who rules the house.
"Raelene" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi all,
>
> Just watching Nigella (Lawson) Bites on ABC recently.
>
> She did a piece on cooking Ham in Coke-Cola.
>
> Has anyone cooked anything with Coke?
>
> Raelene
> xxx
>

> ---

blake murphy

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:13:55 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I've never cared for Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper and can't imagine seeking
>out those flavors on purpose, but, oddly enough, I've always loved root
>beer (though as an adult I think it is way too sweet) and think a root
>beer flavored cake might have some merit.
>
>--Lia

dr. pepper isn't that far from root beer.

your pal,
blake

Still Coke Still Coke General 3 09-03-2010 11:25 AM
Coke Devon M. Recipes 0 07-06-2007 01:43 AM
Coke Devon M. Baking 0 07-06-2007 01:40 AM
using coke in recpie veris and amee young General Cooking 17 16-10-2004 02:45 AM
Cooking with Coke - the book Raelene General Cooking 3 11-01-2004 08:04 PM