Jessica W

Default Healthy Snacks

String cheese and grapes
Yogurt sprinkled with soy nuts, sunflower seeds, or granola
Peanut butter on graham crackers
Apple wedges dipped in peanut butter
Trail mix made with dried fruit, nuts and cereal pieces
A bowl of cereal. Use non-sugared type and add banana slices or raisins.
Ants on a log: Spread peanut butter on celery and dot with raisins.
Mini-pizza: Toast 1/2 English muffin. Top with pizza sauce and mozzarella
cheese, heat in microwave until cheese is melted.
Tortilla spread with low-fat cream cheese and rolled up with turkey and
lettuce leaf

BFB

Jessica W wrote:

> String cheese and grapes
> Yogurt sprinkled with soy nuts, sunflower seeds, or granola
> Peanut butter on graham crackers
> Apple wedges dipped in peanut butter
> Trail mix made with dried fruit, nuts and cereal pieces
> A bowl of cereal. Use non-sugared type and add banana slices or raisins.
> Ants on a log: Spread peanut butter on celery and dot with raisins.
> Mini-pizza: Toast 1/2 English muffin. Top with pizza sauce and mozzarella
> cheese, heat in microwave until cheese is melted.
> Tortilla spread with low-fat cream cheese and rolled up with turkey and
> lettuce leaf

Of course, "healthy" is a relative term. For instance, as much as I
LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE english muffin pizzas, & have spent many an hour
making various versions (e.g., caramelized onions, roasted red peppers,
thin slices of grilled portobellos, roasted garlic & minced clams,
crumbled bacon, & many others), I don't really think anyone would
seriously consider pizza to be a "healthy snack", whether or not they
have a cholesterol problem, although in the latter case it's obviously
not. And given that something like half of the country has a cholesterol
problem, saying pizza is a healthy snack strikes me as wrong, or for
that matter, that cheese is generally a "good thing" to eat, although
I'm all for eating it.

Nonetheless, given that food & cooking for me is something that make
life enjoyable, I'll make & enjoy certain things in moderation, knowing
they're not necessarily the "healthiest" things.

Similarly, I'm dubious that graham crackers are a health feast the way
things are produced today.

Mind you, I'm all for eating these things in moderation. But I think to
invoke the moniker "healthy snax" in a vacuum is nearsighted. I'm not
trying to nit here, but if one stands atop Mount Health with etched
tablets that say "Healthy Snax", then I think that's fair game for
scrutiny [yes, I know, if someone is allergic to fruit, then fruit's
wrong & if they can't eat peanuts, then peanut butter's no good. I'm
talking about what might be reasonably considered "healthy" in a broad
context]

IMHO.

But I will nit about english muffin pizzas made in the microwave. Now
THAT'S just wrong!

---
BFB
NYC

BFB

Jessica W wrote:

> String cheese and grapes
> Yogurt sprinkled with soy nuts, sunflower seeds, or granola
> Peanut butter on graham crackers
> Apple wedges dipped in peanut butter
> Trail mix made with dried fruit, nuts and cereal pieces
> A bowl of cereal. Use non-sugared type and add banana slices or raisins.
> Ants on a log: Spread peanut butter on celery and dot with raisins.
> Mini-pizza: Toast 1/2 English muffin. Top with pizza sauce and mozzarella
> cheese, heat in microwave until cheese is melted.
> Tortilla spread with low-fat cream cheese and rolled up with turkey and
> lettuce leaf

Of course, "healthy" is a relative term. For instance, as much as I
LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE english muffin pizzas, & have spent many an hour
making various versions (e.g., caramelized onions, roasted red peppers,
thin slices of grilled portobellos, roasted garlic & minced clams,
crumbled bacon, & many others), I don't really think anyone would
seriously consider pizza to be a "healthy snack", whether or not they
have a cholesterol problem, although in the latter case it's obviously
not. And given that something like half of the country has a cholesterol
problem, saying pizza is a healthy snack strikes me as wrong, or for
that matter, that cheese is generally a "good thing" to eat, although
I'm all for eating it.

Nonetheless, given that food & cooking for me is something that make
life enjoyable, I'll make & enjoy certain things in moderation, knowing
they're not necessarily the "healthiest" things.

Similarly, I'm dubious that graham crackers are a health feast the way
things are produced today.

Mind you, I'm all for eating these things in moderation. But I think to
invoke the moniker "healthy snax" in a vacuum is nearsighted. I'm not
trying to nit here, but if one stands atop Mount Health with etched
tablets that say "Healthy Snax", then I think that's fair game for
scrutiny [yes, I know, if someone is allergic to fruit, then fruit's
wrong & if they can't eat peanuts, then peanut butter's no good. I'm
talking about what might be reasonably considered "healthy" in a broad
context]

IMHO.

But I will nit about english muffin pizzas made in the microwave. Now
THAT'S just wrong!

---
BFB
NYC

Jessica V.

Jessica W wrote:
> String cheese and grapes
> Yogurt sprinkled with soy nuts, sunflower seeds, or granola
> Peanut butter on graham crackers
> Apple wedges dipped in peanut butter
> Trail mix made with dried fruit, nuts and cereal pieces
> A bowl of cereal. Use non-sugared type and add banana slices or raisins.
> Ants on a log: Spread peanut butter on celery and dot with raisins.
> Mini-pizza: Toast 1/2 English muffin. Top with pizza sauce and mozzarella
> cheese, heat in microwave until cheese is melted.
> Tortilla spread with low-fat cream cheese and rolled up with turkey and
> lettuce leaf

Seriously, no offense, but this list makes me shudder, being a child of
the 70s. Throw in some tofu (unseasoned of course), brewer's yeast,
wheat germ, and lentils and you have my childhood snacks.

Maybe that's why I don't tend to snakc all that much. When I do it's
fruit, berries, a cup of coffee and cookies or if I'm lucky some
leftover tom yum soup.

JV

Jessica V.