Goomba38

Default Jamaican Meat Patties crust?

I'm looking for a recipe for just the pastry crust for Jamaican meat
patties. I have a lovely spicy filling recipe I'm pleased with but the
included pastry sucked big time.
Goomba

Hipot Al

Jamaican Beef Patties

Dough:

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons curry powder

1 cup cold butter or shortening

3/4 cup iced water

1 tablespoon vinegar

2 egg yolks

Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 cup water)

Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor, pulse
to combine. Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture looks
like fine crumbs. In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks. Add wet
mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms. Cover dough in plastic
wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

Filling:

2 tablespoons peanut oil

1 medium onion, diced

4 sprigs scallions, sliced

1 tablespoon fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon Scotch Bonnet pepper, chopped

1 pound ground beef

1 teaspoon salt

Water

1 cup bread crumbs

Fresh ground pepper

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add onions, scallions, thyme, and
Scotch bonnet peppers. When onion begins to soften, add ground beef, salt,
and enough water to barely cover meat, simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
Add bread crumbs and adjust with salt and pepper, allow to cool.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thick. Cut
the dough into 6-inch circles. Place 2 tablespoons of the meat filling onto
half of each dough round. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash.
Fold the dough over the filling to make a half moon shape and press to seal.
Place the patties on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the oven
for 25 to 35 minutes. ***If making the cocktail size, cut the dough into
3-inch circles.

Yield: 15 cocktail or 6 large

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
news I'm looking for a recipe for just the pastry crust for Jamaican meat
patties. I have a lovely spicy filling recipe I'm pleased with but the
included pastry sucked big time.
Goomba

Goomba38

Hipot Al wrote:
> Jamaican Beef Patties
> Dough:
> 3 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 tablespoons curry powder
> 1 cup cold butter or shortening
> 3/4 cup iced water
> 1 tablespoon vinegar
> 2 egg yolks
> Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 cup water)
>
> Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor, pulse
> to combine. Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture looks
> like fine crumbs. In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks. Add wet
> mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms. Cover dough in plastic
> wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

Thanks!! I'll give it a try
Goomba

Goomba38

Hipot Al wrote:
> Jamaican Beef Patties
> Dough:
> 3 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 tablespoons curry powder
> 1 cup cold butter or shortening
> 3/4 cup iced water
> 1 tablespoon vinegar
> 2 egg yolks
> Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 cup water)
>
> Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor, pulse
> to combine. Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture looks
> like fine crumbs. In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks. Add wet
> mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms. Cover dough in plastic
> wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

Thanks!! I'll give it a try
Goomba

limey

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Hipot Al wrote:
> > Jamaican Beef Patties
> > Dough:
> > 3 cups all-purpose flour
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 2 tablespoons curry powder
> > 1 cup cold butter or shortening
> > 3/4 cup iced water
> > 1 tablespoon vinegar
> > 2 egg yolks
> > Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 cup water)
> >
> > Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor,

pulse
> > to combine. Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture

looks
> > like fine crumbs. In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks. Add

wet
> > mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms. Cover dough in

plastic
> > wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

> Thanks!! I'll give it a try
> Goomba

OK, Goomba - please post your recipe for "a lovely spicy filling". Hipot
Al's recipe looks tasty.

Dora

limey

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Hipot Al wrote:
> > Jamaican Beef Patties
> > Dough:
> > 3 cups all-purpose flour
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 2 tablespoons curry powder
> > 1 cup cold butter or shortening
> > 3/4 cup iced water
> > 1 tablespoon vinegar
> > 2 egg yolks
> > Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1/4 cup water)
> >
> > Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor,

pulse
> > to combine. Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture

looks
> > like fine crumbs. In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks. Add

wet
> > mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms. Cover dough in

plastic
> > wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

> Thanks!! I'll give it a try
> Goomba

OK, Goomba - please post your recipe for "a lovely spicy filling". Hipot
Al's recipe looks tasty.

Dora

Goomba38

limey wrote:

> OK, Goomba - please post your recipe for "a lovely spicy filling". Hipot
> Al's recipe looks tasty.
>
> Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jamaican Meat Patties (Just the Filling)

Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Ethnic

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
1 large onion -- finely chopped
6 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon tumeric or annatto
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 scotch bonnet pepper -- seeded,
chopped fine
2 sprigs fresh thyme -- finely chopped
3 scallions -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 pound ripe tomatoes -- peeled, finely chop
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup water or beef stock
3 tablespoons Jamaican Rum

In large skillet, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add
onion and cook until softened, about 4 min.
Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 min. Add ground beef,
tumeric, cumin, allspice, cardamom, hot peppers and thyme
and cook till beef is browned and spices fragrant, about 10 min.
Add the scallions, parsley, tomatoes and stock. Simmer for
about 25 min until the flavors have come together and almost
all the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste with salt
and pepper.
Remove from heat and stir in the rum. Set aside to cool
before assembling the patties.

Goomba38

limey wrote:

> OK, Goomba - please post your recipe for "a lovely spicy filling". Hipot
> Al's recipe looks tasty.
>
> Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jamaican Meat Patties (Just the Filling)

Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Ethnic

2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
1 large onion -- finely chopped
6 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon tumeric or annatto
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 scotch bonnet pepper -- seeded,
chopped fine
2 sprigs fresh thyme -- finely chopped
3 scallions -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 pound ripe tomatoes -- peeled, finely chop
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup water or beef stock
3 tablespoons Jamaican Rum

In large skillet, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add
onion and cook until softened, about 4 min.
Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 min. Add ground beef,
tumeric, cumin, allspice, cardamom, hot peppers and thyme
and cook till beef is browned and spices fragrant, about 10 min.
Add the scallions, parsley, tomatoes and stock. Simmer for
about 25 min until the flavors have come together and almost
all the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste with salt
and pepper.
Remove from heat and stir in the rum. Set aside to cool
before assembling the patties.

limey

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
news
> limey wrote:
>
> > OK, Goomba - please post your recipe for "a lovely spicy filling".
> >
> > Dora

Thank you, Goomba.

Dora

limey

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
news
> limey wrote:
>
> > OK, Goomba - please post your recipe for "a lovely spicy filling".
> >
> > Dora

Thank you, Goomba.

Dora