Default DRAIN N' RINSE

Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
It always says; "drain and rinse" .

I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?

Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?

....... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?

<rj>
Felice Friese

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
>
> Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
>
> ...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?
>
> <rj>

The "goo" is why you rinse them, for heaven's sake. Unless, of course, you
want the "salt, calcium chloride and disodium EDTA" listed on the can in
whatever you're making!

Felice

Felice Friese

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
>
> Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
>
> ...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?
>
> <rj>

The "goo" is why you rinse them, for heaven's sake. Unless, of course, you
want the "salt, calcium chloride and disodium EDTA" listed on the can in
whatever you're making!

Felice

Peter Aitken

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
> >
> > Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> > ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> > It always says; "drain and rinse" .
> >
> > I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
> >
> > Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
> >
> > ...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?
> >
> > <rj>

> The "goo" is why you rinse them, for heaven's sake. Unless, of course, you
> want the "salt, calcium chloride and disodium EDTA" listed on the can in
> whatever you're making!
>
> Felice

Those things are in the beans too, of course.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
> >
> > Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> > ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> > It always says; "drain and rinse" .
> >
> > I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
> >
> > Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
> >
> > ...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?
> >
> > <rj>

> The "goo" is why you rinse them, for heaven's sake. Unless, of course, you
> want the "salt, calcium chloride and disodium EDTA" listed on the can in
> whatever you're making!
>
> Felice

Those things are in the beans too, of course.

--
Peter Aitken

Kate Connally

"" wrote:

> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?

The reason I rinse is that I don't like the somewhat
slimy (to me) liquid you get on canned beans. But
they certainly don't need to be rinsed for sanitary
reasons. They wouldn't even necessarily need to be
drained, especially if being added to a soup or stew
where extra liquid wouldn't matter and you would retain
whatever flavor and nutrients are in the cooking liquid
that they are canned with.

It seems to me I don't recall seeing any recipes
saying to rinse the canned beans, I just started doing
it on my own.

These days I make a lot of green chile stew using
canned corn and I have decided to just dump the
whole canned in, juice and all. I think it adds more
flavor to the stew, and it's not all slimy like the
canned bean juice.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

"" wrote:

> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?

The reason I rinse is that I don't like the somewhat
slimy (to me) liquid you get on canned beans. But
they certainly don't need to be rinsed for sanitary
reasons. They wouldn't even necessarily need to be
drained, especially if being added to a soup or stew
where extra liquid wouldn't matter and you would retain
whatever flavor and nutrients are in the cooking liquid
that they are canned with.

It seems to me I don't recall seeing any recipes
saying to rinse the canned beans, I just started doing
it on my own.

These days I make a lot of green chile stew using
canned corn and I have decided to just dump the
whole canned in, juice and all. I think it adds more
flavor to the stew, and it's not all slimy like the
canned bean juice.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Curly Sue

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:38:52 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
>( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
>It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
>I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
>
>Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
>
>...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?

Fiber?

I generally rinse beans for salads (and a few other dishes) but the
sludge can be helpful in thickening some recipes (although I can't
think of one now).

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue

wrote:

>Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
>( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
>It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
>I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
>
>Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
>
>...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?

Fiber?

I generally rinse beans for salads (and a few other dishes) but the
sludge can be helpful in thickening some recipes (although I can't
think of one now).

Sue(tm)
Van

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
>
> Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
>
> ...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?

In recipes like chili, I just dump in the whole can(s). The liquid is
needed most times, and AFAIC, usually tastes a whole lot like the other
contents of the can.

van

Van

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>
> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?
>
> Is it just a bit of cooking lore that's passed from recipe to recipe ?
>
> ...... and what IS that goo in canned kidney beans ?

In recipes like chili, I just dump in the whole can(s). The liquid is
needed most times, and AFAIC, usually tastes a whole lot like the other
contents of the can.

van

jmcquown

Kate Connally wrote:
> "" wrote:
>>
>> Whenever I see a recipe that calls for canned beans,
>> ( garbanzo, kidney, black etc )
>> It always says; "drain and rinse" .
>>
>> I can understand "drain" but why "rinse" ?

> The reason I rinse is that I don't like the somewhat
> slimy (to me) liquid you get on canned beans. But
> they certainly don't need to be rinsed for sanitary
> reasons. They wouldn't even necessarily need to be
> drained, especially if being added to a soup or stew
> where extra liquid wouldn't matter and you would retain
> whatever flavor and nutrients are in the cooking liquid
> that they are canned with.
>
> It seems to me I don't recall seeing any recipes
> saying to rinse the canned beans, I just started doing
> it on my own.

Yeah, the "goo" (heheh). I started rinsing to remove excess sodium from
being added to the pot. It's not required but does help a bit.

Jill

> These days I make a lot of green chile stew using
> canned corn and I have decided to just dump the
> whole canned in, juice and all. I think it adds more
> flavor to the stew, and it's not all slimy like the
> canned bean juice.
>
> Kate

jmcquown