sandy

Default Chinese fried rice,,,,,,,and a question!

3 gr. onions cut in chunks
1 stalk celery cut in chunks
1/2 cup cooked chicken
2 eggs
1 to 2 tblsp oil
3 cups cold cooked rice
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Steel blade: Process green onions & celery with quick on/off, until coarsely
chopped. Empty bowl. Is using chicken, coarsely chop with on/off. Set
chicken aside separately from vegetables. Process eggs for 2 or 3 seconds
to mix. Heat 1 tsp of oil in non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add
eggs and scramble them briefly. Remove eggs from pan. Add remaining oil to
pan, stir fry onions and celery for 1 minute. Add rice and mix thoroughly,
until heated through. Add remaining ingredients, and stir well. Serve
piping hot.

Question: Can't wait to try this recipe........but what is toasted sesame
oil?? I have a bottle of sesame oil,,,,,so how do I toast it?

Thanks for your help,
Sandy

hahabogus

"sandy" > wrote in
:

> 3 gr. onions cut in chunks
> 1 stalk celery cut in chunks
> 1/2 cup cooked chicken
> 2 eggs
> 1 to 2 tblsp oil
> 3 cups cold cooked rice
> 1/2 cup frozen green peas
> 2 Tbsp soy sauce
> 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
> freshly ground black pepper to taste.
>
> Steel blade: Process green onions & celery with quick on/off, until
> coarsely chopped. Empty bowl. Is using chicken, coarsely chop with
> on/off. Set chicken aside separately from vegetables. Process eggs
> for 2 or 3 seconds to mix. Heat 1 tsp of oil in non-stick skillet
> over medium high heat. Add eggs and scramble them briefly. Remove
> eggs from pan. Add remaining oil to pan, stir fry onions and celery
> for 1 minute. Add rice and mix thoroughly, until heated through. Add
> remaining ingredients, and stir well. Serve piping hot.
>
> Question: Can't wait to try this recipe........but what is toasted
> sesame oil?? I have a bottle of sesame oil,,,,,so how do I toast it?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Sandy

OK there are 2 kinds of sesame oil. There is the plain oil from pressed
seeds which has a mild taste. And there is the oil from toasted seeds which
has a way stronger flavour. Toasted sesame seed oil is used more like a
seasoning than as a oil.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
Frogleg

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:30:50 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>"sandy" > wrote

<snip recipe>

>> Question: Can't wait to try this recipe........but what is toasted
>> sesame oil?? I have a bottle of sesame oil,,,,,so how do I toast it?

>OK there are 2 kinds of sesame oil. There is the plain oil from pressed
>seeds which has a mild taste. And there is the oil from toasted seeds which
>has a way stronger flavour. Toasted sesame seed oil is used more like a
>seasoning than as a oil.

What I have is labeled "sesame oil" and it's plenty dark and
flavorful. I see that there *is* milder light sesame oil, but the only
kind I've seen for sale locally is the dark Asian variety.

http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...sf?DEF_ID=3803

Found this, too:

"One note: the non-roasted sesame oil you sometimes find in
supermarkets and health food stores is not a good substitute for the
sesame oil used in Oriental cooking. As with sesame paste, the
difference is that Oriental oil is pressed from toasted sesame seeds.
The lighter oil is found in Indian cooking, while Asian countries
favor the darker variety. Sesame oil will keep for several months if
stored in a cool, dry place. The best brand is Kadoya sesame oil from
Japan."

Aria

You can find it at Trader Joe's if you have one in your area.

news