Kathy S

Default Crockpot Cooking

I got a crockpot for Christmas and I've never used one before. Anyone care
to share some good crockpot recipes they have?

Thanks!
Kathy

Tom Royer

Kathy S wrote:

> I got a crockpot for Christmas and I've never used one before. Anyone care
> to share some good crockpot recipes they have?

There a number of good sites that feature crock pot recipes. A google search
on crock pot (Rival's site is good) will find them.

In the mean time, the instruction book that came with your crock pot should
get you started.

--
Tom Royer
Lead Engineer, Software Test

"If you're not free to fail, you're not free." --Gene Burns

The Ranger

Kathy S > wrote in message
> I got a crockpot for Christmas and I've never used one before.
> Anyone care to share some good crockpot recipes they have?

Two great resources:
<http://www.crockpot.com>
and
"The Complete Slow Cooker Cookbook" [ISBN 1-4027-0850-5]

My three current favorite crockpot stews a

Pork Stew

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. OO (Olive Oil)
2 lb. Pork Tenderloin, cubed
4 large carrots, cut into 1" pieces
9 "baby" Yukon potatoes, cut in 1/2
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup acorn squash, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram (fresh has more flavor)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (or a pizza parlor packet is a
convenient amt.)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup brown gravy
(1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups water, boiling)

Method:
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork cubes. In a large
bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for broth and gravy. Pour into
crockpot.
For gravy, use pan that pork was browned in. Melt butter. Mix in flour.
Pour in water, stir and reduce.
Combine both broth and gravy, pouring over items already in crockpot.
Cover; cook on Low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-5 hours. Serve with a heavy
bread, peasant's loaf or asiago. Serves six.

Beef Stew

Ingredients:
2 lb. beef, cubed
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbs. OO (Olive Oil)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. Sweet Paprika
4 lg. carrots, chopped/sliced
8 baby new potatoes, halved
1 sm. white onion, sliced into wedges (1/8)
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup brown gravy
(1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups water, boiling)

Method:
Mix flour, pepper, paprika, salt into Ziploc(tm) bag. Dredge meat,
patting extra flour mixture off cubes. In a skillet, heat oil over
medium-high heat; add garlic into skillet to start carmelization, set
dredged meat cubes into pan after 3-4 minutes and brown. Beware burning the
garlic.
In crockpot, layer vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onion, celery). Add
broth. Start crockpot to cooking level desired (low or high) while browning
meat and preparing gravy.
When meat has browned completely, remove skillet from heat and add meat
into crockpot. Return skillet to heat, add butter to drippings. Add flour
and stir in until roux the appropriate shade of brown. Add water and reduce.
Pour over mix in crockpot when done. Low heat should cook 9-11 hours; high
heat should cook 4-6 hours. Serve with fresh cornbread, hot sour dough or
sweet French bread. Serves 6.

ERNESTO'S MEXICAN FOOD CHILE VERDE
Source: Ernesto's Mexican Food, Sacramento, California

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds lean pork roast (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
10 green tomatillos
2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons canola oil

METHOD:
Place most of the ingredients in blender (except pork) and puree.
In a small pot, brown cubed pork with three tablespoons of canola oil.
Make sure to brown all sides evenly. This should take about ten minutes.
Remove all excess oil from meat. Stir in pureed ingredients and let
simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Cooking time depends on size of cube and how
much the meat cooked while browning.
Taste for flavor; for more spiciness, add jalapenos.

The Ranger
--
"Fell deeds awake: Fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken, shield shall
be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!"

Louis Cohen

Here's a basic technique:

- Brown the meat (chicken on the bone, stew meat, lamb shanks, etc -
typically a cheaper, less tender cut) in olive oil in a conventional pan.

- Move the browned meat to the crock pot; sauté garlic and onion in the pan,
and move them to the crockpot

- Add cut up veggies to the crockpot (carrots, turnips, spuds, leeks, etc.);
add salt, pepper, etc.

- Close the crock and cook on low for 10-12 hrs.

There are infinite variations, including items like canned tomatoes, dried
or fresh chiles, other seasonings, canned beans (including garbanzos), corn,
etc.

You can cook a stew without browning the meat and onions (ie, just tossing
them in the crock) but I think you'll find that browning them first improves
the flavor tremendously.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Kathy S" > wrote in message
> I got a crockpot for Christmas and I've never used one before. Anyone

care
> to share some good crockpot recipes they have?
>
> Thanks!
> Kathy

Mpoconnor7

You can get a pork roast and some sauerkraut and put it in the crockpot with
enough water to cover the kraut, a dash of carraway seeds, and let it cook on
medium until the pork is fork tender. As long as there is enough water in
there, it can cook all day.

Or, you can dice some onions and peppers, a clove of minced garlic,a big can of
diced tomatoes (including the liquid), a couple pounds of hot italian sausage,
and a big jar of spaghetti sauce, and put it in the crockpot together, and let
it cook all day on low. Makes for some great sub sandwiches. You can add
some browned hamburger meat and you have spaghetti sauce.

You can also take a beef chuck roast, chop some onions and peppers and
mushrooms, two cans of cream of mushroom soup, a pack of Lipton Onion Soup mix,
and about 1 1/2 soup cans of water, and let it cook on low all day. Goes well
with masked potatoes as it makes it own gravy.

All three meals take less than 15 minutes of preparation time, you can make it
before you leave for work in the morning, and come home to a home cooked meal.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

cynthia mason

I bought a crockpot magazine called Slow Cooking by Woman's Day today
for a friend and I liked what I saw. I got it in magazine section of
Walmart. I gave it to her and she wants one for her sister.

L Beck

Don't forget some liquid.........

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Here's a basic technique:
>
> - Brown the meat (chicken on the bone, stew meat, lamb shanks, etc -
> typically a cheaper, less tender cut) in olive oil in a conventional pan.
>
> - Move the browned meat to the crock pot; sauté garlic and onion in the

pan,
> and move them to the crockpot
>
> - Add cut up veggies to the crockpot (carrots, turnips, spuds, leeks,

etc.);
> add salt, pepper, etc.
>
> - Close the crock and cook on low for 10-12 hrs.
>
> There are infinite variations, including items like canned tomatoes, dried
> or fresh chiles, other seasonings, canned beans (including garbanzos),

corn,
> etc.
>
> You can cook a stew without browning the meat and onions (ie, just tossing
> them in the crock) but I think you'll find that browning them first

improves
> the flavor tremendously.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "Kathy S" > wrote in message
> > I got a crockpot for Christmas and I've never used one before. Anyone

> care
> > to share some good crockpot recipes they have?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Kathy

Dan W

In article >, "Kathy S" > wrote:
>I got a crockpot for Christmas and I've never used one before. Anyone care
>to share some good crockpot recipes they have?

Go to groups.yahoo.com and search for crock pot. There is a group that shares
recipes.

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY