Ferrante

Default Sea salt (coarse) better than table?

I see in many recipes that seal salt is called for. I love salt and
use too much. I am afraid that if I use sea salt, I might ingest even
more sodium than I am getting right now. Is the taste that much
better?

Right now I am using Morton Light Salt.

Mark Ferrante
Dave Smith

Ferrante wrote:

> I see in many recipes that seal salt is called for. I love salt and
> use too much. I am afraid that if I use sea salt, I might ingest even
> more sodium than I am getting right now. Is the taste that much
> better?
>
> Right now I am using Morton Light Salt.

It doesn't taste like iodine. You may not notice it because you are
probably used to it. If you switch to sea salt and then go back to
iodized you will notice the taste.
Wayne

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> Ferrante wrote:
>>
>> I see in many recipes that seal salt is called for. I love salt and
>> use too much. I am afraid that if I use sea salt, I might ingest even
>> more sodium than I am getting right now. Is the taste that much
>> better?
>>
>> Right now I am using Morton Light Salt.

> It doesn't taste like iodine. You may not notice it because you are
> probably used to it. If you switch to sea salt and then go back to
> iodized you will notice the taste.

You can buy table salt without iodine, and you can also buy iodized sea
salt.

There are other taste characteristics to salt other than iodine.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Mark Thorson

Ferrante wrote:

> I see in many recipes that seal salt is called for. I love salt and
> use too much. I am afraid that if I use sea salt, I might ingest even
> more sodium than I am getting right now. Is the taste that much
> better?

Naturally dried sea salt is packed with sodium chloride.
Commercially produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it,
so you certainly may experience a difference.

Quoting from this web page:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
affects the human body. The facts are that in the
heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."

Hope this helps! :-)

Mark Thorson

Ferrante wrote:

> I see in many recipes that seal salt is called for. I love salt and
> use too much. I am afraid that if I use sea salt, I might ingest even
> more sodium than I am getting right now. Is the taste that much
> better?

Naturally dried sea salt is packed with sodium chloride.
Commercially produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it,
so you certainly may experience a difference.

Quoting from this web page:
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
affects the human body. The facts are that in the
heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."

Hope this helps! :-)

Kenneth

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:44:45 GMT, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Naturally dried sea salt is packed with sodium chloride.
>Commercially produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it,

Huh...?

All "salt" (the stuff we use in food) is almost entirely sodium
chloride.

There are other trace chemicals in it that might affect the taste, but
except for those traces table salt IS sodium chloride (whatever its
source.)

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Scott

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Naturally dried sea salt is packed with sodium chloride.
> Commercially produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it,
> so you certainly may experience a difference.
>
> Quoting from this web page:
> http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm
>
> "The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
> condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
> companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
> temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
> the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
> affects the human body. The facts are that in the
> heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
> goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
> sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
> and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
> for sodium chloride.

Complete drivel. "Sodium hydroxate"?? Never heard of such a thing.
Sodium chloride doesn't change until heated to above 1474F and breaks
down to chloride and sodium oxide fumes.

Oh, and sodium chloride isn't an element, it's a compound.

This site contains "information" on such nonsense as magnetic therapy
and colon cleansing.

please mail OT responses only
Tara

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:55:48 +0100, "TonyK" >
wrote:

>I'm the opposite. I use more, far far more! Really good home growm toms with
>salt and vinegar or just dip my finger in the box and let the crystals
>disolve in my mouth... does this make me wierd?

In the third grade, the coolest treat to sneak at school was "salt
rocks" -- just ice cream rock salt.

Tara

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>Ferrante wrote:
>
>> I see in many recipes that seal salt is called for. I love salt and
>> use too much. I am afraid that if I use sea salt, I might ingest even
>> more sodium than I am getting right now. Is the taste that much
>> better?

>Naturally dried sea salt is packed with sodium chloride.
>Commercially produced salt has almost no sodium chloride in it,
>so you certainly may experience a difference.
>
>Quoting from this web page:
>http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm
>
>"The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the
>condition of the salt we eat! Major producing
>companies dry their salt in huge kilns with
>temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing
>the salt's chemical structure, which in turn adversely
>affects the human body. The facts are that in the
>heating process of salt, the element sodium chloride
>goes off into the air as a gas. What remains is
>sodium hydroxate which is irritating to the system
>and does not satisfy the body's hunger and need
>for sodium chloride. Sodium chloride is one of the
>12 daily essential minerals. In countries which do not
>alter their salt supply, heart disease and arthritis are
>so rare that many doctors have never seen a case.
>Their salt is dried from the ocean by the sun."
>
>Hope this helps! :-)

ROTFLMAO!!!

Reminds me of a T-shirt I saw Saturday. "I solved all the world's
problems last weekend and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

We have achieved faith-based science,
faith-based economics, faith-based law
enforcement, and faith-based missile
defense.
What's next? Faith-based air traffic control?

PENMART01

>> Unless the FDA has totally
>> gone to shit, they would not allow something being sold as sodium
>> chloride, if it were not sodium chloride.
>>

>You pay 2 to 3 times the price for drugs that every other country does and
>you think the FDA hasn't gone to shit? The same drugs made by the same
>companies in the same offshore factories.
> - Michael Odom

The FDA has no more to do with drug pricing than it does with doctor fees...
especially not in foreign countries. duh

Drugs cost more in the US for exactly the same reason plumber bills are
higher... whatever the traffic will bear.

The ONLY reason folks in the US don't have adequate medical/prescription
insurance is because those particular folks CHOOSE to spend their money on
lottery tickets, tobacco, and booze insterad of insurance premiums... all has
to do with prioritizing... anyone in the US can have med/drug ins, just that
it's not manditory... another of the beauties of America, the government has no
say in who gets to live and who dies... not so with socialized medicine.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Kevintsheehy

On8/23/2004, hahabogus wrote:

>You pay 2 to 3 times the price for drugs that every other
>country does and you think the FDA hasn't gone to shit? The
>same drugs made by the same companies in the same offshore >factories.

The FDA has no statutory authority to regulate the cost of
prescription medicine. As far as I know, it has never had
that authority, whether under Democrats or Republicans.
We can debate whether it should have the authority, but
that's another question.

PENMART01

>Scott heimdall writes:
>
>>(Kevintsheehy) wrote:
>>
>> The FDA has no statutory authority to regulate the cost of
>> prescription medicine.

>Except, however, the FDA can (and does) prohibit the import of less
>expensive medications made by the same companies, thereby keeping
>domestic prices higher.

That's patently false. US Customs is responsible for importation. The FDA
controls which drugs are banned (both domestic and imports), but based on
safety, not price. And I'm not at all sure what you mean by "less expensive
medications made by the same companies"... and neither do you.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Scott heimdall writes:
>
>>(Kevintsheehy) wrote:
>>
>> The FDA has no statutory authority to regulate the cost of
>> prescription medicine.

>Except, however, the FDA can (and does) prohibit the import of less
>expensive medications made by the same companies, thereby keeping
>domestic prices higher.

That's patently false. US Customs is responsible for importation. The FDA
controls which drugs are banned (both domestic and imports), but based on
safety, not price. And I'm not at all sure what you mean by "less expensive
medications made by the same companies"... and neither do you.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> hahabogus iliterated:
>
>>penmart01 wrote:

>>>Except, however, the FDA can (and does) prohibit the import of less
>>>expensive medications made by the same companies, thereby keeping
>>>domestic prices higher.

>> That's patently false. US Customs is responsible for importation.
>> The FDA controls which drugs are banned (both domestic and imports),
>> but based on safety, not price. And I'm not at all sure what you mean
>> by "less expensive medications made by the same companies"... and
>> neither do you.

>For example High blood pressure medications manufactured in one factory >and

shipped to various countries.

So what, there are many different high blood pressure meds made by each
pharmaceutical company

>US price on average is twice the cost...as stated in 60 minutes

Huh? 60 Minutes is a rag... you probably believe eveything you hear on all the
news shows. Scott is tawkin' IMport and you're tawkin' EXport. DUH But
matters not, the FDA has no control over prices either direction. And there is
nothing unjust about a pharmaceutical company pricing a particular med $10 in
the US and the same med $1 in say Guatamala (Company should be applauded)...
tawkin' whole different economies here. Btw, you are free to go live in a
third world country.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon