villa deauville

Default Chicken soup - Again

Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
TIA
SUNNY

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
>vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
>chicken too. Clear soup

Any fabric shop. It's prolly the cheapest fabric there.

Wash it in your sink first unless you want some extra fiber in your
diet.
Dave Smith

villa deauville wrote:

> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
> TIA

Cheesecloth is usually available in grocery and hardware stores.
Dave Smith

villa deauville wrote:

> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
> TIA

Cheesecloth is usually available in grocery and hardware stores.
RMiller

>Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
>vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
>chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
>TIA
>SUNNY

you can buy cheesecloth almost anywhere, that is what I use.
Rosie

Peter Aitken

"villa deauville" > wrote in message
> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
> TIA
> SUNNY

I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result of
fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as the
liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"villa deauville" > wrote in message
> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
> TIA
> SUNNY

I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result of
fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as the
liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

--
Peter Aitken

K. Reece

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> >vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> >chicken too. Clear soup

> Any fabric shop. It's prolly the cheapest fabric there.
>
> Wash it in your sink first unless you want some extra fiber in your
> diet.

I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated to
be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.

Kathy

K. Reece

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> >vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> >chicken too. Clear soup

> Any fabric shop. It's prolly the cheapest fabric there.
>
> Wash it in your sink first unless you want some extra fiber in your
> diet.

I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated to
be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.

Kathy

K. Reece

"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> >vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> >chicken too. Clear soup

> Any fabric shop. It's prolly the cheapest fabric there.
>
> Wash it in your sink first unless you want some extra fiber in your
> diet.

I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated to
be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.

Kathy

Arri London

villa deauville wrote:

> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
> TIA
> SUNNY

Any cheap 100-percent-cotton muslin from a fabric shop; typically around
USD1.00 a yard. Wash it thoroughly with dishwashing liquid and rinse
well. It will be vastly wrinkled when dried, but that doesn't matter. It
will need boiling in clean water occasionally to prevent flavour
carryover.

But that won't be quite enough if you want really clear soup. Will still
need to clarify it.
Arri London

villa deauville wrote:

> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!
> TIA
> SUNNY

Any cheap 100-percent-cotton muslin from a fabric shop; typically around
USD1.00 a yard. Wash it thoroughly with dishwashing liquid and rinse
well. It will be vastly wrinkled when dried, but that doesn't matter. It
will need boiling in clean water occasionally to prevent flavour
carryover.

But that won't be quite enough if you want really clear soup. Will still
need to clarify it.
Arri London

"K. Reece" wrote:

> "Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
> > Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> > >Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
> > >vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
> > >chicken too. Clear soup

> > Any fabric shop. It's prolly the cheapest fabric there.
> >
> > Wash it in your sink first unless you want some extra fiber in your
> > diet.

> I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated to
> be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.
>
> Kathy

LOL don't think I've ever seen 'permapressed' all-cotton muslin. Stuff I
have many yards of is severely wrinkled after washing! Ironing it is
nearly impossible; hardly permapressed.

Bob

Peter wrote:

> I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result of
> fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as the
> liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
> form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but the
classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You beat
the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap over
the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further. Then
you can ladle off the clarified stock.

Bob

PENMART01

> "Bob" virtualgoth writes:
>
>>Peter wrote:
>>
>> I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result of
>> fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as the
>> liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
>> form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

>Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but the
>classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
>white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You beat
>the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
>mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap over
>the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
>As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further. Then
>you can ladle off the clarified stock.
>
>Bob

There is no such thing as "clarified stock".

Stock is generally cloudy, nor does it matter, as it is used as an ingredient
incorporated into recipes, no one serves "stock". But once stock has been
clarified as you describe above it is no longer stock. The resultant product
of clarifying stock is consommé. Clarifying stock is tantamount to how baking
transforms dough into bread... I've yet to see a menu listing "baked dough"...
never saw a menu listing "clarified stock" either.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Hi,
I have been enjoying your site..Why couldn't you use a couple of
layers of cheese cloth...

Kate

K. Reece

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "K. Reece" wrote:

cook

the

> > > Any fabric shop. It's prolly the cheapest fabric there.
> > >
> > > Wash it in your sink first unless you want some extra fiber in your
> > > diet.

> > I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated

> > be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.
> >
> > Kathy

> LOL don't think I've ever seen 'permapressed' all-cotton muslin. Stuff I
> have many yards of is severely wrinkled after washing! Ironing it is
> nearly impossible; hardly permapressed.

I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is. Read the bolt ends to be sure.
The last time I bought muslin I didn't find a single bolt that wasn't
treated.

Kathy

Becca

"villa deauville" > wrote in message

> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!

It is nice to see you here, Sunny. A friend of mine owns a Chinese
restaurant and this is how he gets his chicken stock to be clear. Boil
the chicken for 4-5 minutes, then dump the water out of the pot, rinse
the chicken and the inside of the pot, then start all over again. Your
chicken stock should be clear, then.

Becca

PENMART01

> "K. Reece" orates:
>
>>"Arri London" wrote
>>> "K. Reece" orated:

>cook

>the

>> > I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated

>> > be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.
>> >
>> > Kathy

>> LOL don't think I've ever seen 'permapressed' all-cotton muslin. Stuff I
>> have many yards of is severely wrinkled after washing! Ironing it is
>> nearly impossible; hardly permapressed.

>I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
>perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is.

Yes, Ms Cliton.

If it's treated to be permanent press then it IS permanent press. Permanent
press (permapress - a nick name - not a word) is a process whereby a fabric IS
treated with heat and resins to set its shape and prevent wrinkling... the
resins CANNOT be removed.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "K. Reece" orates:
>
>>"Arri London" wrote
>>> "K. Reece" orated:

>cook

>the

>> > I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated

>> > be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.
>> >
>> > Kathy

>> LOL don't think I've ever seen 'permapressed' all-cotton muslin. Stuff I
>> have many yards of is severely wrinkled after washing! Ironing it is
>> nearly impossible; hardly permapressed.

>I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
>perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is.

Yes, Ms Cliton.

If it's treated to be permanent press then it IS permanent press. Permanent
press (permapress - a nick name - not a word) is a process whereby a fabric IS
treated with heat and resins to set its shape and prevent wrinkling... the
resins CANNOT be removed.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Arri London

"K. Reece" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

> cook

> the

> > > I wouldn't use muslin from a fabric store. It's almost all been treated

> > > be perma-pressed. Use cheesecloth from the grocery store.
> > >
> > > Kathy

> > LOL don't think I've ever seen 'permapressed' all-cotton muslin. Stuff I
> > have many yards of is severely wrinkled after washing! Ironing it is
> > nearly impossible; hardly permapressed.

> I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
> perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is. Read the bolt ends to be sure.
> The last time I bought muslin I didn't find a single bolt that wasn't
> treated.
>
> Kathy

None of what I have has been treated. If it is *treated* to be
permapressed one would think it would *be* permapressed ie, relatively
wrinklefree after washing. Otherwise what's the point?
Are you buying polycotton muslin rather than 100 percent cotton?
K. Reece

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "K. Reece" wrote:

> > cook

for
> > the

your

treated

> > > LOL don't think I've ever seen 'permapressed' all-cotton muslin. Stuff

> > > have many yards of is severely wrinkled after washing! Ironing it is
> > > nearly impossible; hardly permapressed.

> > I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
> > perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is. Read the bolt ends to be

sure.
> > The last time I bought muslin I didn't find a single bolt that wasn't
> > treated.
> >
> > Kathy

> None of what I have has been treated. If it is *treated* to be
> permapressed one would think it would *be* permapressed ie, relatively
> wrinklefree after washing. Otherwise what's the point?
> Are you buying polycotton muslin rather than 100 percent cotton?

Do they even make polycotton muslin? I've never seen such a thing. I
checked the bolt ends of all my muslin, I have several, and only the oldest
one isn't perma-pressed. The last time I bought muslin I looked for the non
perma-pressed and didn't find a single one that wasn't. The stuff they sell
in the quilt store for 4 bucks a yard might not be treated but I'm not
paying 4 bucks a yard for muslin.

Yes, I use enough muslin to buy whole bolts.

Kathy

Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
> > I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result

of
> > fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as

the
> > liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
> > form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

> Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but

the
> classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
> white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You

beat
> the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
> mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap

over
> the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
> As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further.

Then
> you can ladle off the clarified stock.
>
> Bob

I agree with what you say but my experience is that you can get a very clear
chicken stock without any special clarification steps if you skim and, most
important, never boil but only gently simmer. The egg step might add a
slight extra level of clarity but for most purposes I think it is not
needed.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
> > I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result

of
> > fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as

the
> > liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
> > form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

> Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but

the
> classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
> white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You

beat
> the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
> mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap

over
> the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
> As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further.

Then
> you can ladle off the clarified stock.
>
> Bob

I agree with what you say but my experience is that you can get a very clear
chicken stock without any special clarification steps if you skim and, most
important, never boil but only gently simmer. The egg step might add a
slight extra level of clarity but for most purposes I think it is not
needed.

--
Peter Aitken

Arri London

"K. Reece" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

> > > cook

> for
> > > the

> your

> treated

> > > I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
> > > perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is. Read the bolt ends to be

> sure.
> > > The last time I bought muslin I didn't find a single bolt that wasn't
> > > treated.
> > >
> > > Kathy

> > None of what I have has been treated. If it is *treated* to be
> > permapressed one would think it would *be* permapressed ie, relatively
> > wrinklefree after washing. Otherwise what's the point?
> > Are you buying polycotton muslin rather than 100 percent cotton?

> Do they even make polycotton muslin? I've never seen such a thing. I
> checked the bolt ends of all my muslin, I have several, and only the oldest
> one isn't perma-pressed. The last time I bought muslin I looked for the non
> perma-pressed and didn't find a single one that wasn't. The stuff they sell
> in the quilt store for 4 bucks a yard might not be treated but I'm not
> paying 4 bucks a yard for muslin.
>
> Yes, I use enough muslin to buy whole bolts.
>
> Kathy

I also buy it by the bolt from Wmart or a fabric shop (both for under
one dollar a yard). It isn't perma-pressed. Funny how the availability
differs in different parts of the country. The latest purchase was last
week, so it isn't old.

Yes I've seen polycotton 'muslin' locally, but it costs more than all
cotton and I can't dye it the way cotton dyes. Not to mention it being
useless for cooking purposes
Arri London

"K. Reece" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

> > > cook

> for
> > > the

> your

> treated

> > > I didn't say it *was* perma-pressed. I said it's *treated* to be
> > > perma-pressed, doesn't actually mean it is. Read the bolt ends to be

> sure.
> > > The last time I bought muslin I didn't find a single bolt that wasn't
> > > treated.
> > >
> > > Kathy

> > None of what I have has been treated. If it is *treated* to be
> > permapressed one would think it would *be* permapressed ie, relatively
> > wrinklefree after washing. Otherwise what's the point?
> > Are you buying polycotton muslin rather than 100 percent cotton?

> Do they even make polycotton muslin? I've never seen such a thing. I
> checked the bolt ends of all my muslin, I have several, and only the oldest
> one isn't perma-pressed. The last time I bought muslin I looked for the non
> perma-pressed and didn't find a single one that wasn't. The stuff they sell
> in the quilt store for 4 bucks a yard might not be treated but I'm not
> paying 4 bucks a yard for muslin.
>
> Yes, I use enough muslin to buy whole bolts.
>
> Kathy

I also buy it by the bolt from Wmart or a fabric shop (both for under
one dollar a yard). It isn't perma-pressed. Funny how the availability
differs in different parts of the country. The latest purchase was last
week, so it isn't old.

Yes I've seen polycotton 'muslin' locally, but it costs more than all
cotton and I can't dye it the way cotton dyes. Not to mention it being
useless for cooking purposes

K. Reece

"Arri London" > wrote in message
> I also buy it by the bolt from Wmart or a fabric shop (both for under
> one dollar a yard). It isn't perma-pressed. Funny how the availability
> differs in different parts of the country. The latest purchase was last
> week, so it isn't old.
>
> Yes I've seen polycotton 'muslin' locally, but it costs more than all
> cotton and I can't dye it the way cotton dyes. Not to mention it being
> useless for cooking purposes

I've been buying mine at Hobby Lobby but I think next time I run out I'll
check WMart. The quality of the muslin I got last time at HL was not as
high as I would like.

Kathy

K. Reece

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Whaddayou, the Queen of Rag Heads?

No, I'm a quilter.

Kathy

alzelt

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Bob" > wrote in message
>
>>Peter wrote:
>>

>>>I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result

> of
>
>>>fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as

> the
>
>>>liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
>>>form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

>>Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but

> the
>
>>classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
>>white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You

> beat
>
>>the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
>>mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap

> over
>
>>the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
>>As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further.

> Then
>
>>you can ladle off the clarified stock.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> I agree with what you say but my experience is that you can get a very clear
> chicken stock without any special clarification steps if you skim and, most
> important, never boil but only gently simmer. The egg step might add a
> slight extra level of clarity but for most purposes I think it is not
> needed.

Seems like the easiest way is to make the stock, and add a couple of
handfuls of ice cubes. That should cause the fat to congeal, making
removal easy.
--
Alan

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
neither do we."

........President George W. Bush, at the signing of the $417
billion defense-spending bill, August, 2004

Bolivar

alzelt wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

> > of

> > the

> >>Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but

> > the
> >
> >>classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
> >>white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You

> > beat
> >
> >>the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
> >>mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap

> > over
> >
> >>the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
> >>As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further.

> > Then
> >
> >>you can ladle off the clarified stock.
> >>
> >>Bob
> >>

> > I agree with what you say but my experience is that you can get a very clear
> > chicken stock without any special clarification steps if you skim and, most
> > important, never boil but only gently simmer. The egg step might add a
> > slight extra level of clarity but for most purposes I think it is not
> > needed.
> >

> Seems like the easiest way is to make the stock, and add a couple of
> handfuls of ice cubes. That should cause the fat to congeal, making
> removal easy.
> --
> Alan

Even better is a plastic soda bottle, filled with water and frozen.
Then you get the chilling effect, but no dilution from the melting ice.

Boli
Phred

In article >, "K. Reece" > wrote:

>"PENMART01" > wrote in message
>>
>> Whaddayou, the Queen of Rag Heads?

>No, I'm a quilter.

That's a bit of a let down. I assumed you made *gallons* of chicken
soup. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Phred

In article >, (fresh~horses) wrote:
(villa deauville) wrote in message
>> Can someone tell me where I can buy fine muslin that can be used to cook
>> vegtables that are used in the soup . Sounds like it would work for the
>> chicken too. Clear soup . At last!!!!!!!

>Things I have used. I've not bought muslin or cheesecloth in my life:
>
>1. old cotton undyed flour and rice sacks. I keep them for that. Vintage.
>2. well rinsed white cotton t-shirts I get from fun runs. (I didn't, of
> course.)
>3. the white 100 per cent cotton 'flat' sheets from sets. (I use only fitted.)
>4. coffee filters.
>5. new unused panty hose. The top part. You can also use this as a fish net.

Bronzed Aussies use *two* sets when swimming in the sea in summer to
protect against box jellyfish AKA sea wasps. You cut a hole in the
fork of the second set for your head, and poke your arms into the
legs. The first pair is used in a more conventional manner. (Not
that most male Aussies wear them all the time.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

PENMART01

>"K. Reece" wrote:
>
>>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>
>>Whaddayou, the Queen of Rag Heads?

>No, I'm a quilter.

Sheesh, that's like maybe one small baby step up from a rug hooker.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
villa deauville

Well folks, I have purchased the cheesecloth. I have five more quarts of
soup left in the freezer. When that is gone and I make a new batch I
will use the cheesecloth.
Thanks to you all again

SUNNY

chicken soup gregz General Cooking 3 16-10-2011 12:11 AM
How to make chicken fat into chicken broth for soup? Seekingsuggestions. Gold Finch General Cooking 21 27-04-2010 07:04 AM
Buffalo Roast Chicken -> Ghanian Peanut Chicken Soup Silvar Beitel General Cooking 2 11-10-2008 07:06 PM
Chicken Soup : Sweet Corn Chicken Soup [email protected] General Cooking 0 16-12-2005 10:04 AM
chicken soup E F General Cooking 1 20-08-2004 04:03 AM