tintalle

Default perogies?

I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Steve Calvin

tintalle wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Stuffed cabbage works well.

--
Steve

Whose cruel idea was it for the word "lisp" to have an "s" in it?

Steve Calvin

tintalle wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Stuffed cabbage works well.

--
Steve

Whose cruel idea was it for the word "lisp" to have an "s" in it?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, tintalle
> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

A knife and a fork. Why tarnish the pirohy with another dish. They
stand alone when I eat them. OTOH, you could use them with sauerkraut
and ribs, or a pork chop. This assumes potato-filled pirohy (the
Slovak spelling, in case you were wondering). Dobru' chut'!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, tintalle
> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

A knife and a fork. Why tarnish the pirohy with another dish. They
stand alone when I eat them. OTOH, you could use them with sauerkraut
and ribs, or a pork chop. This assumes potato-filled pirohy (the
Slovak spelling, in case you were wondering). Dobru' chut'!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, tintalle
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice
>> casual meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy
>> little treats?
>>

> A knife and a fork. Why tarnish the pirohy with another dish. They
> stand alone when I eat them. OTOH, you could use them with sauerkraut
> and ribs, or a pork chop. This assumes potato-filled pirohy (the
> Slovak spelling, in case you were wondering). Dobru' chut'!

I believe the condoments eaten with perogies are enough. Sour cream,
butter, fried onions and bacon. If these are the potato cheese type.

Which way are you cooking them up?
Traditionally they are just boiled, but pan fried and deep fried are 2
other good ways.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, tintalle
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice
>> casual meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy
>> little treats?
>>

> A knife and a fork. Why tarnish the pirohy with another dish. They
> stand alone when I eat them. OTOH, you could use them with sauerkraut
> and ribs, or a pork chop. This assumes potato-filled pirohy (the
> Slovak spelling, in case you were wondering). Dobru' chut'!

I believe the condoments eaten with perogies are enough. Sour cream,
butter, fried onions and bacon. If these are the potato cheese type.

Which way are you cooking them up?
Traditionally they are just boiled, but pan fried and deep fried are 2
other good ways.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
Michel Boucher

tintalle > wrote in
:

> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice
> casual meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy
> little treats?

Real bacon bits and onions, sour cream (full fat of course), and yellow
mustard.

--

Please note that this post contains no overt anti-USAian statements of
any sort, nor is it designed to excite the political passions of the
Michel Boucher

tintalle > wrote in
:

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >, tintalle
> > wrote:

>> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
>> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?
>>

> A knife and a fork. Why tarnish the pirohy with another dish. They
> stand alone when I eat them. OTOH, you could use them with sauerkraut
> and ribs, or a pork chop. This assumes potato-filled pirohy (the
> Slovak spelling, in case you were wondering). Dobru' chut'!

Actually, I like potato piriogies with apple sauce on the side.

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >, tintalle
> > wrote:

>> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
>> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?
>>

> A knife and a fork. Why tarnish the pirohy with another dish. They
> stand alone when I eat them. OTOH, you could use them with sauerkraut
> and ribs, or a pork chop. This assumes potato-filled pirohy (the
> Slovak spelling, in case you were wondering). Dobru' chut'!

Actually, I like potato piriogies with apple sauce on the side.
Mary Jo Oliver

We usually use the perogie as the side dish with a meat..Sausages work
good..with a salad. Or just by themselves works great too.
"tintalle" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Mary Jo Oliver

"tintalle" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Mary Jo Oliver

"tintalle" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

T E

If your interested in Polish foods here is a link to restaurant menu's
in Poland.
I lived for a few months in Hamtramck Michigan in the early 80's -Pole
Town-
and was taught polish cooking by people who had settled in this town
from Poland.
Perogies for them are served as a side dish mostly with kielbasa.
Glad to this day that I was taught their authentic old country cuisine
instead of the crap in stores passed off as polish.
http://www.mytravelguide.com/city-gu...staurant-meals

Cindy, CA

tintalle > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Kapusta--

Cook bacon in pan until crispy

remove bacon, leave grease in the pan

cook chopped onions in the bacon grease

remove onions and most of grease (leave some)

put saurkraut (rinsed) in pan and fry until warmed through and maybe
some brown crispy areas occur

put bacon chunks and oinions back into the kraut.

As an added taste treat, my mom also puts in reconstituted dried
Polish mushrooms.

Cindy

(P.S. the recipe using sour cream for the dough is the one I learned)
Cindy, CA

tintalle > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Kapusta--

Cook bacon in pan until crispy

remove bacon, leave grease in the pan

cook chopped onions in the bacon grease

remove onions and most of grease (leave some)

put saurkraut (rinsed) in pan and fry until warmed through and maybe
some brown crispy areas occur

put bacon chunks and oinions back into the kraut.

As an added taste treat, my mom also puts in reconstituted dried
Polish mushrooms.

Cindy

(P.S. the recipe using sour cream for the dough is the one I learned)
Cindy, CA

tintalle > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Kapusta--

Cook bacon in pan until crispy

remove bacon, leave grease in the pan, chop bacon into chunks

cook chopped onions in the bacon grease, browning and crisping

remove onions and most of grease (leave some)

put saurkraut (rinsed) in pan and fry until warmed through and maybe
some brown crispy areas occur

put bacon chunks and onions back into the kraut, warm thorugh

As an added taste treat, my mom also puts in reconstituted dried
Polish mushrooms.

Cindy

(P.S. the recipe using sour cream for the dough is the one I learned)
Cindy, CA

tintalle > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Kapusta--

Cook bacon in pan until crispy

remove bacon, leave grease in the pan, chop bacon into chunks

cook chopped onions in the bacon grease, browning and crisping

remove onions and most of grease (leave some)

put saurkraut (rinsed) in pan and fry until warmed through and maybe
some brown crispy areas occur

put bacon chunks and onions back into the kraut, warm thorugh

As an added taste treat, my mom also puts in reconstituted dried
Polish mushrooms.

Cindy

(P.S. the recipe using sour cream for the dough is the one I learned)

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
>meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

I haven't the slightest idea how to spell the word... but we pronounced
it something like chutka, with the ch being a non English sound. More
like a cough. Hopefully someone here knows the spelling.

It's finely ground liver with rice, rolled into a large sausage shape.
Maybe an aquired taste, but I love it. Used to get it in Perth Amboy
New Jersey.

Anyway, some of that, and a big dollop of ground red beets with
horseradish.

Some applesauce, sour cream and chives on the pierogy, and you got
yourself a blue collar feast.

Petey the Wonder Dog<< - - and don't EVEN forget the beer
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
>meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

I haven't the slightest idea how to spell the word... but we pronounced
it something like chutka, with the ch being a non English sound. More
like a cough. Hopefully someone here knows the spelling.

It's finely ground liver with rice, rolled into a large sausage shape.
Maybe an aquired taste, but I love it. Used to get it in Perth Amboy
New Jersey.

Anyway, some of that, and a big dollop of ground red beets with
horseradish.

Some applesauce, sour cream and chives on the pierogy, and you got
yourself a blue collar feast.

Petey the Wonder Dog<< - - and don't EVEN forget the beer
Kswck

"tintalle" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Mac-n-cheese

Kswck

"tintalle" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Mac-n-cheese

Rick & Cyndi

"tintalle" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?
> ================

Kielbasa! and sauteed onions and green (or other color) sweet bell peppers.
Green beans with lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan cheese... (droool)

Cyndi

Wayne

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
:

> "tintalle" > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice
>> casual meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy
>> little treats? ================

> Kielbasa! and sauteed onions and green (or other color) sweet bell
> peppers. Green beans with lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan
> cheese... (droool)
>
> Cyndi

You seem to do a lot of drooling, Cyndi! Have you ever been to see
anyone about this, or do you just keep a towel handy? <vbg>

Uh, lose the peppers, but keep the kielbasa and sauteed onions, and bring
on the pierogi! My three favorites; potato and cheese, fried cabbage and
onion, and lekvar or whole prune.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
:

> "tintalle" > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice
>> casual meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy
>> little treats? ================

> Kielbasa! and sauteed onions and green (or other color) sweet bell
> peppers. Green beans with lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan
> cheese... (droool)
>
> Cyndi

You seem to do a lot of drooling, Cyndi! Have you ever been to see
anyone about this, or do you just keep a towel handy? <vbg>

Uh, lose the peppers, but keep the kielbasa and sauteed onions, and bring
on the pierogi! My three favorites; potato and cheese, fried cabbage and
onion, and lekvar or whole prune.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Victor Sack

tintalle > wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

If by "normally" you mean "typically" or "traditionally", then none --
pierogi are a separate course. They can be served in a broth, though.
Would you serve something *with* ravioli, tortellini, wontons, or gyoza?
If you want your nice, casual meal to consist of more than one course,
feel free to serve anything you like.

Victor
fresh~horses

tintalle > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

There are a couple tradtitional accompaniements to pyroghy (the proper
Ukrainian spelling and pronounced "peer-ohh-heh", roll the rrr's.
Perogie is the Polish pronounciation.

Serve with bowls of best sour cream and home-made high bush cranberry
sauce.

After you have boiled them, gently drain and pour this over. (Not too
much. It's a taste only):

Saute best bacon, bought in slab and cut off rind and into little
squares, approx 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch, and fried until rendered a bit,
brown and crisp. Drain off bacon fat and in about one tablespoon,
maybe two, saute chopped green onions.

Then, you will have already roasted, fried or barbecued rings of
kubasa, which is Ukrainian garlic ham sausage. (The meat in the
sausage isn't usually ground but chunks of best ham.) Cut the rings
into thirds, and each person is served one third. Important to get it
brown and crusty too. Where are you going to get this? Stawnichy's
Sausange in Mundare Alberta Canada used to mail it out. Not sure if
they still do.

Stawnichy's Meat Processing: 1.780.764.3912

Zee
fresh~horses

tintalle > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice casual
> meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy little treats?

Sorry. Got carried away there and forgot to say, you serve the fried
bacon bits over the pyroghy with the green onion and bacon fat.

I know it all sounds like over kill. So you're going to take the whole
day to make these and then leave something out because you're on a
diet? G'wan!

One more thing; your pyroghy really can't have unorthodox ingredients
like cheddar in it. Cheddar? In Kiev?

Just potatoes with cottage cheese (they used farmers kurd of course)
or potatoes with home made sauerkraut.

Diboysha!

Zee
Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "tintalle" > wrote in message
> >> I'm trying to figure out what "goes" with perogies to make a nice
> >> casual meal. What main/sides are normally served with these yummy
> >> little treats? ================

> > Kielbasa! and sauteed onions and green (or other color) sweet bell
> > peppers. Green beans with lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan
> > cheese... (droool)
> >
> > Cyndi

> You seem to do a lot of drooling, Cyndi! Have you ever been to see
> anyone about this, or do you just keep a towel handy? <vbg>
>
> Uh, lose the peppers, but keep the kielbasa and sauteed onions, and bring
> on the pierogi! My three favorites; potato and cheese, fried cabbage and
> onion, and lekvar or whole prune.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

=============

Yes. Yes I do... LOL

What can I say? I love good (great...!) food! You've heard of the people
that get so involved with daytime dramas (soap operas) that they even
believe they are suffering from the same diseases/situations that their
favorite charactors (actors) are suffering from...? Well I can smell and
taste everything as I read it - except for liver and other organ meats! I
can't scroll past those fast enough. Ptoooooey! Bleh!

Cyndi
Artichokes Bearnaise, anyone? <slurp>

Rick & Cyndi

=============

Yes. Yes I do... LOL

What can I say? I love good (great...!) food! You've heard of the people
that get so involved with daytime dramas (soap operas) that they even
believe they are suffering from the same diseases/situations that their
favorite charactors (actors) are suffering from...? Well I can smell and
taste everything as I read it - except for liver and other organ meats! I
can't scroll past those fast enough. Ptoooooey! Bleh!

Cyndi
Artichokes Bearnaise, anyone? <slurp>

Wayne

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in
>> :

>> > Kielbasa! and sauteed onions and green (or other color) sweet bell
>> > peppers. Green beans with lemon zest, olive oil, and parmesan
>> > cheese... (droool)
>> >
>> > Cyndi

>> You seem to do a lot of drooling, Cyndi! Have you ever been to see
>> anyone about this, or do you just keep a towel handy? <vbg>
>>
>> Uh, lose the peppers, but keep the kielbasa and sauteed onions, and
>> bring on the pierogi! My three favorites; potato and cheese, fried
>> cabbage and onion, and lekvar or whole prune.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> =============
>
> Yes. Yes I do... LOL
>
> What can I say? I love good (great...!) food! You've heard of the
> people that get so involved with daytime dramas (soap operas) that
> they even believe they are suffering from the same diseases/situations
> that their favorite charactors (actors) are suffering from...? Well I
> can smell and taste everything as I read it - except for liver and
> other organ meats! I can't scroll past those fast enough. Ptoooooey!
> Bleh!

I know what you mean. I can't count the times I've read something here,
and had to go to the kitchen and cook.

> Cyndi
> Artichokes Bearnaise, anyone? <slurp>

Now that would make a nice Sunday afternoon munch!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Frozen perogies Ruddell General Cooking 42 07-02-2005 11:41 PM
Perogies State General Cooking 17 22-04-2004 02:22 PM
Spelt perogies Bubbablue General Cooking 7 12-04-2004 04:38 AM