notbob

Default AB's cole slaw ...yuk!

I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
you, but a diminished crunchy.

I don't think I'll be trying this again.

nb
Michael Odom

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
>on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
>did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
>down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
>residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
>you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
>I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
>nb

I tried it, too. Sucked big green ones. I really like his show and
have larned a passel o' food factoids from him. But the slaw was a
bust.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
>on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
>did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
>down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
>residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
>you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
>I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
>nb

I tried it, too. Sucked big green ones. I really like his show and
have larned a passel o' food factoids from him. But the slaw was a
bust.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Bob

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the
> salt on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time?

Here's the recipe, but I've never tried it. Did you use kosher salt?

Alton Brown's Cole Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 fluid ounces plain yogurt
2 fluid ounces mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
thoroughly and dry. In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients
except the cabbage and carrot. Whisk to combine evenly. Toss the cabbage and
carrot with the dressing.

Yield: Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes Easy of preparation: easy

Bob

Bob

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the
> salt on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time?

Here's the recipe, but I've never tried it. Did you use kosher salt?

Alton Brown's Cole Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 fluid ounces plain yogurt
2 fluid ounces mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
thoroughly and dry. In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients
except the cabbage and carrot. Whisk to combine evenly. Toss the cabbage and
carrot with the dressing.

Yield: Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes Easy of preparation: easy

Bob

Bob

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the
> salt on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time?

Here's the recipe, but I've never tried it. Did you use kosher salt?

Alton Brown's Cole Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 fluid ounces plain yogurt
2 fluid ounces mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
thoroughly and dry. In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients
except the cabbage and carrot. Whisk to combine evenly. Toss the cabbage and
carrot with the dressing.

Yield: Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes Easy of preparation: easy

Bob

barry in indy

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the

moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It

didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could

never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I

left the salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also,

while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out

to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing.

Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still

crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.

I've found that using dried vegetables improves recipes by
absorbing much of the liquid. So I use dried chopped onions, and
Penzey's mixed red and green peppers and celery. The celery and
peppers are especially good in tuna salad.

--
barry in indy

barry in indy

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the

moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It

didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could

never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I

left the salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also,

while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out

to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing.

Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still

crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.

I've found that using dried vegetables improves recipes by
absorbing much of the liquid. So I use dried chopped onions, and
Penzey's mixed red and green peppers and celery. The celery and
peppers are especially good in tuna salad.

--
barry in indy

A.C.

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the

salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
> I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
> nb

i like ABs show too. he's great to learn technique and food science from and
i have no doubt that alot of his recipes are original because they SUCK! :P
i've tried many of his recipes that seemed kinda whacky and imo most of them
were pretty sucky

A.C.

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the

salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
> I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
> nb

i like ABs show too. he's great to learn technique and food science from and
i have no doubt that alot of his recipes are original because they SUCK! :P
i've tried many of his recipes that seemed kinda whacky and imo most of them
were pretty sucky

A.C.

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the

salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
> I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
> nb

i like ABs show too. he's great to learn technique and food science from and
i have no doubt that alot of his recipes are original because they SUCK! :P
i've tried many of his recipes that seemed kinda whacky and imo most of them
were pretty sucky

PENMART01

>virtualgoth writes:
>
>notbob wrote:
>
>> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the
>> salt on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time?

>Here's the recipe, but I've never tried it. Did you use kosher salt?
>

>Alton Brown's Cole Slaw
>
>Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
>thoroughly and dry.

There is nothing new about this... I've been salting cabbage to remove moisture
for slaw for many years, well over 50 years, in fact I posted the method here
long before Alton Brown ever heard of it... good chance he read my post.

One recommendation is not to use an aluminum colander, stainless steel is okay
but plastic is much better.... many years ago (my grandmother's day) wooden
barrels were used. Cole slaw was made from the same batch of cabbage used for
kraut.... just that the slaw cabbage was scooped off the top after only a
couple hours salting.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
notbob

On 2004-08-17, Bob > wrote:

> Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
> thoroughly and dry.

Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.

I can now understand why places like bubba-Q joints typically serve a
dry-ish shredded cabbage that has dressing applied just before serving.

nb
Peter Aitken

"notbob" > wrote in message
newsfoUc.311625$JR4.36371@attbi_s54...
> On 2004-08-17, Bob > wrote:
>
> > Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
> > thoroughly and dry.

> Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.
>
> I can now understand why places like bubba-Q joints typically serve a
> dry-ish shredded cabbage that has dressing applied just before serving.
>
> nb

"Generously salt" may be the problem. I use this technique and 1 TB of
kosher salt for a pound of shredded cabbage is plenty. Most of the salt
leaches away with the liquid that drains off the cabbage. No need to rinse.
Omit the salt from your dressing.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"notbob" > wrote in message
newsfoUc.311625$JR4.36371@attbi_s54...
> On 2004-08-17, Bob > wrote:
>
> > Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
> > thoroughly and dry.

> Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.
>
> I can now understand why places like bubba-Q joints typically serve a
> dry-ish shredded cabbage that has dressing applied just before serving.
>
> nb

"Generously salt" may be the problem. I use this technique and 1 TB of
kosher salt for a pound of shredded cabbage is plenty. Most of the salt
leaches away with the liquid that drains off the cabbage. No need to rinse.
Omit the salt from your dressing.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"notbob" > wrote in message
newsfoUc.311625$JR4.36371@attbi_s54...
> On 2004-08-17, Bob > wrote:
>
> > Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
> > thoroughly and dry.

> Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.
>
> I can now understand why places like bubba-Q joints typically serve a
> dry-ish shredded cabbage that has dressing applied just before serving.
>
> nb

"Generously salt" may be the problem. I use this technique and 1 TB of
kosher salt for a pound of shredded cabbage is plenty. Most of the salt
leaches away with the liquid that drains off the cabbage. No need to rinse.
Omit the salt from your dressing.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.

So was that episode of AB. Horrendous as to be unwatchable.

nancy
Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.

So was that episode of AB. Horrendous as to be unwatchable.

nancy
Default User

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Generously salt" may be the problem. I use this technique and 1 TB of
> kosher salt for a pound of shredded cabbage is plenty. Most of the salt
> leaches away with the liquid that drains off the cabbage. No need to rinse.
> Omit the salt from your dressing.

I've been thinking about making coleslaw, I'll give the salting thing a
whirl. The amount of moisture that seeps out can be quite a detriment to
the final product, worth a shot.

Brian Rodenborn

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Generously salt" may be the problem. I use this technique and 1 TB of
> kosher salt for a pound of shredded cabbage is plenty. Most of the salt
> leaches away with the liquid that drains off the cabbage. No need to rinse.
> Omit the salt from your dressing.

I've been thinking about making coleslaw, I'll give the salting thing a
whirl. The amount of moisture that seeps out can be quite a detriment to
the final product, worth a shot.

Brian Rodenborn

Pennyaline

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
> > Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> > washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> > spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.

> So was that episode of AB. Horrendous as to be unwatchable.

I didn't think the episode was so bad, but the result of the salting
technique was, for sure! I tried it according to the recipe, and my cabbage
turned dry and gray. There was no saving it. Threw it out and made potato
salad, instead.

Pennyaline

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
> > Yeah. Now see, I only salted and drained my cabbage for 1 hour. I then
> > washed, soaked, and rinsed for 15 mins, finally drying with my lettuce
> > spinner. End result, leathery, very salty cabbage. It was terrible.

> So was that episode of AB. Horrendous as to be unwatchable.

I didn't think the episode was so bad, but the result of the salting
technique was, for sure! I tried it according to the recipe, and my cabbage
turned dry and gray. There was no saving it. Threw it out and made potato
salad, instead.

LaUna

notbob wrote:

> I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
> nb

When in Texas recently, I had a version of cole slaw that was made with
pineapple and cabbage and just mayo (I think).

When I made it with crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, I drained
the juice off and added it to the cabbage and mayo and it wasn't very good.

Next time I made it with crushed pineapple in heavy syrup, drained, and
the cabbage and mayo. It was much better. It might have been better
with additions of carrot, peppers, other seasonings like dry mustard. I
am still playing with it.

Some of you may want to try this if you like a sort of sweet slaw and
let the rest of know how your experiments turned out.

LaUna

notbob wrote:

> I don't think I'll be trying this again.
>
> nb

When in Texas recently, I had a version of cole slaw that was made with
pineapple and cabbage and just mayo (I think).

When I made it with crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, I drained
the juice off and added it to the cabbage and mayo and it wasn't very good.

Next time I made it with crushed pineapple in heavy syrup, drained, and
the cabbage and mayo. It was much better. It might have been better
with additions of carrot, peppers, other seasonings like dry mustard. I
am still playing with it.

Some of you may want to try this if you like a sort of sweet slaw and
let the rest of know how your experiments turned out.

PENMART01

>LaUna stitcher writes:
>
>When in Texas recently, I had a version of cole slaw that was made with
>pineapple and cabbage and just mayo (I think).
>
>When I made it with crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, I drained
>the juice off and added it to the cabbage and mayo and it wasn't very good.

That's 'cause you fergot the mini marshmallows.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>LaUna stitcher writes:
>
>When in Texas recently, I had a version of cole slaw that was made with
>pineapple and cabbage and just mayo (I think).
>
>When I made it with crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, I drained
>the juice off and added it to the cabbage and mayo and it wasn't very good.

That's 'cause you fergot the mini marshmallows.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > arranged
random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
>on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
>did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
>down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
>residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
>you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
>I don't think I'll be trying this again.

Methinks sometimes the best way is the old fashioned way: after
shredding the cabbage, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and
soak the cabbage in it for 20 mins. or so. Then get out the paper
towels. Press as much of the liquid out as you can, then change paper
towels and do it again.

Same thing for potato latkes (without the soak in ice water). Just
have to get as much liquid out of the potatoes as your muscles will
allow.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > arranged
random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
>out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
>out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
>salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
>on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
>did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
>down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
>residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
>you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
>I don't think I'll be trying this again.

Methinks sometimes the best way is the old fashioned way: after
shredding the cabbage, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and
soak the cabbage in it for 20 mins. or so. Then get out the paper
towels. Press as much of the liquid out as you can, then change paper
towels and do it again.

Same thing for potato latkes (without the soak in ice water). Just
have to get as much liquid out of the potatoes as your muscles will
allow.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
notbob

On 2004-08-17, LaUna > wrote:

> Some of you may want to try this if you like a sort of sweet slaw and
> let the rest of know how your experiments turned out.

That's a classic slaw. In my version, I use mayo, mustard, and chunk
pineapple with some fennel seeds. Use just a little of the sweetened
pineapple juice. Your trying for a mustard sweet and sour effect. Don't
add the dressing till just before serving cuz it'll be mush with 3-4 hrs.

nb
notbob

On 2004-08-17, LaUna > wrote:

> Some of you may want to try this if you like a sort of sweet slaw and
> let the rest of know how your experiments turned out.

That's a classic slaw. In my version, I use mayo, mustard, and chunk
pineapple with some fennel seeds. Use just a little of the sweetened
pineapple juice. Your trying for a mustard sweet and sour effect. Don't
add the dressing till just before serving cuz it'll be mush with 3-4 hrs.

nb

Wayne

notbob > wrote in

> On 2004-08-17, LaUna > wrote:
>
>> Some of you may want to try this if you like a sort of sweet slaw and
>> let the rest of know how your experiments turned out.

> That's a classic slaw. In my version, I use mayo, mustard, and chunk
> pineapple with some fennel seeds. Use just a little of the sweetened
> pineapple juice. Your trying for a mustard sweet and sour effect.
> Don't add the dressing till just before serving cuz it'll be mush with
> 3-4 hrs.
>
> nb

That sounds good, nb. I like the idea of the fennel seeds. I prefer
all coleslaws dressed not too far in advance. I don't like the flavor
or texture if they've sat too long in their dressing, refrigerated or
not.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

notbob > wrote in

> On 2004-08-17, LaUna > wrote:
>
>> Some of you may want to try this if you like a sort of sweet slaw and
>> let the rest of know how your experiments turned out.

> That's a classic slaw. In my version, I use mayo, mustard, and chunk
> pineapple with some fennel seeds. Use just a little of the sweetened
> pineapple juice. Your trying for a mustard sweet and sour effect.
> Don't add the dressing till just before serving cuz it'll be mush with
> 3-4 hrs.
>
> nb

That sounds good, nb. I like the idea of the fennel seeds. I prefer
all coleslaws dressed not too far in advance. I don't like the flavor
or texture if they've sat too long in their dressing, refrigerated or
not.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Kate Connally

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining .

That sounds like a pretty weird reason to me. I've been making
coleslaw for 40 years and never had my cabbage get soggy. It seems
to me like salting it and rinsing it in water would be what would
make it soggy, if anything would. Good grief!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining .

That sounds like a pretty weird reason to me. I've been making
coleslaw for 40 years and never had my cabbage get soggy. It seems
to me like salting it and rinsing it in water would be what would
make it soggy, if anything would. Good grief!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > arranged
> random neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> >out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> >out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> >salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
> >on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> >did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> >down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> >residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> >you, but a diminished crunchy.
> >
> >I don't think I'll be trying this again.

> Methinks sometimes the best way is the old fashioned way: after
> shredding the cabbage, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and
> soak the cabbage in it for 20 mins. or so. Then get out the paper
> towels. Press as much of the liquid out as you can, then change paper
> towels and do it again.

Good grief! If I had to do all that I would never make
coleslaw! Never heard of doing that to make coleslaw.
Never done it. Make great, non-soggy coleslaw. So there.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob > arranged
> random neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> >out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> >out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> >salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
> >on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> >did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> >down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> >residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> >you, but a diminished crunchy.
> >
> >I don't think I'll be trying this again.

> Methinks sometimes the best way is the old fashioned way: after
> shredding the cabbage, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and
> soak the cabbage in it for 20 mins. or so. Then get out the paper
> towels. Press as much of the liquid out as you can, then change paper
> towels and do it again.

Good grief! If I had to do all that I would never make
coleslaw! Never heard of doing that to make coleslaw.
Never done it. Make great, non-soggy coleslaw. So there.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

sf

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob
> wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
> I don't think I'll be trying this again.

That's the way I feel about salting cucumbers for cucumber
salad. No matter how much I rinse, the salt residue still
over powers every other flavor.

sf
sf

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:15:54 GMT, notbob
> wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the salt
> on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time? Also, while the slaw
> did as predicted, more of less, and no more liquid leached out to water
> down the dressing, the slaw itself was less than appetizing. Besides the
> residual salt taste, the cabbage was kinda leathery. Still crunchy, mind
> you, but a diminished crunchy.
>
> I don't think I'll be trying this again.

That's the way I feel about salting cucumbers for cucumber
salad. No matter how much I rinse, the salt residue still
over powers every other flavor.

sf
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:11:35 -0400, Kate Connally >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

>> Methinks sometimes the best way is the old fashioned way: after
>> shredding the cabbage, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and
>> soak the cabbage in it for 20 mins. or so. Then get out the paper
>> towels. Press as much of the liquid out as you can, then change paper
>> towels and do it again.

>Good grief! If I had to do all that I would never make
>coleslaw! Never heard of doing that to make coleslaw.
>Never done it. Make great, non-soggy coleslaw. So there.

Phbbbttt! My coleslaw's better than yoooooours :-D

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Terry Pulliam Burd

kfc cole slaw notbob General Cooking 6 20-12-2011 08:43 AM
Cole Slaw Ed Pawlowski[_2_] Barbecue 7 09-04-2011 07:39 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Janis Lang Recipes (moderated) 0 27-06-2007 04:15 AM
Cole Slaw help Randy Stoeckinger General Cooking 32 26-10-2004 11:51 AM
Cole Slaw Hu£kingBrute Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 05:16 PM