Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

I was beginning to wonder about that myself. Lately I have noticed that
the eggs do indeed appear to be smaller. Most of the eggs we buy are
free range, and most of them are large, sometimes there are a few that
are a little larger or a little smaller. I always check my eggs too, to
make sure they are no broken shells or sludge on them. I usually go
through at least three cartons before I find one with no broken eggs,
but when I get the free range eggs from my neighbour I have never found
a broken one.
Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> Preface: I don't have access to free-range eggs. There are no farmer's
> co-ops or anything like that near me and I've never seen them in the grocery
> stores near me.
>
> I went to buy some large eggs. I always open the carton to make sure they
> aren't cracked or broken. I noticed in every single instance, random
> checking of the cartons, all the *large* eggs appear to be quite a bit
> smaller than usual. Has anyone else run across this? Any idea why?

I was beginning to wonder about that myself. Lately I have noticed that
the eggs do indeed appear to be smaller. Most of the eggs we buy are
free range, and most of them are large, sometimes there are a few that
are a little larger or a little smaller. I always check my eggs too, to
make sure they are no broken shells or sludge on them. I usually go
through at least three cartons before I find one with no broken eggs,
but when I get the free range eggs from my neighbour I have never found
a broken one.
Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:13:27 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

> Thank you, Ariane. However I don't choose to drive that far in either
> direction simply for a carton of eggs

Yeah, I figured you'd consider 8-12 miles too far out of
your way. But at least now you know that you DO have plenty of
access to free-range eggs, in case you ever want to give them a try.
And with Memphis being such a large and diverse city, I'd be a little
surprised if they weren't carried at bigger grocery stores nearer you,
like Krogers.

> BTW, Wild Oats does carry some
> really fancy ground chicken sausages which are nice, IIRC the ground chicken
> with sun dried tomatoes and fennel was nice.

Sounds good. There's one in Cincinnati that we don't go too
very often, but it's an interesting place to poke around. (And it's a
couple doors down from Sur La Table!) Kinda pricey, though. It
reminds me a little of Whole Foods, but a bit little smaller.

Ariane
Ariane Jenkins