Wayne

Default Dropping the Fowl

I loved Julia Child. I watched every show that I possible could, and own
most of the books she wrote or co-wrote. I was attracted not only to her
knowledge and talent, but also to the aplomb with which she approached
every topic and recipe. Her good nature, sense of humor, and ability to
laugh at herself made her all the more appealing and approachable. For
all of that I owe most of my cooking skills and approach to food to
Julia. Her exhaustively tested recipes and ability to teach technique,
either personally on television or in written word are unequaled by
anyone else in the field.

Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
chicken.

In later years I videotaped most of her shows and still have them. It's
too bad that home video recorders didn't exist earlier. I'm sure I would
have had it on tape. BTW, it was a B&W episode.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
jacqui{JB}

"Wayne" > wrote in message

> I loved Julia Child. Having said all that, I still
> maintain that on a very early episode, a fowl
> slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of
> the "experts" who swear it didn't happen.

I don't recall this particular episode, but I do seem to recall her
tasting and then spitting into the sink an oyster on the half-shell
which had been sitting under the studio lights too long.

-j

jacqui{JB}

"Wayne" > wrote in message

> I loved Julia Child. Having said all that, I still
> maintain that on a very early episode, a fowl
> slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of
> the "experts" who swear it didn't happen.

I don't recall this particular episode, but I do seem to recall her
tasting and then spitting into the sink an oyster on the half-shell
which had been sitting under the studio lights too long.

-j

limey

"Wayne"wrote in message > I

<snipped for brevity>

> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.

Wayne

Here's a comment from another newsgroup, Wayne. It certainly rings a bell
with me, if only for her comment!

".....On one program she dropped the chicken on the floor, picked it up to
carry on, looked straight at the camera and said, 'Remember, you are alone
in the kitchen - no one will ever know' ".

Dora

limey

"Wayne"wrote in message > I

<snipped for brevity>

> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.

Wayne

Here's a comment from another newsgroup, Wayne. It certainly rings a bell
with me, if only for her comment!

".....On one program she dropped the chicken on the floor, picked it up to
carry on, looked straight at the camera and said, 'Remember, you are alone
in the kitchen - no one will ever know' ".

Dora

Julia Altshuler

Two stories from another newsgroup (don't know and don't care if they're
true):

Apparently on one later show, Julia was cooking with Martha Stewart who
commented that she (Martha) always used farm fresh eggs home-grown on
her own farm. Julia: "Then perhaps you should have brought your own."

Also: "Whenever you see food neatly arranged on a plate, you know
someone's fingers have been all over it."

--Lia

Orion

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> I loved Julia Child. I watched every show that I possible could, and own
> most of the books she wrote or co-wrote. I was attracted not only to her
> knowledge and talent, but also to the aplomb with which she approached
> every topic and recipe. Her good nature, sense of humor, and ability to
> laugh at herself made her all the more appealing and approachable. For
> all of that I owe most of my cooking skills and approach to food to
> Julia. Her exhaustively tested recipes and ability to teach technique,
> either personally on television or in written word are unequaled by
> anyone else in the field.
>
> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.
>
> In later years I videotaped most of her shows and still have them. It's
> too bad that home video recorders didn't exist earlier. I'm sure I would
> have had it on tape. BTW, it was a B&W episode.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

I agree wholeheartedly. Ditto everything you said. I'm waiting for some
shows memorializing her career, so I can see her at her best. To me she was
someone I would have loved to work with, to just hang out and cook and then
eat. With our glass of wine in hand of course.

Suzan

Orion

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> I loved Julia Child. I watched every show that I possible could, and own
> most of the books she wrote or co-wrote. I was attracted not only to her
> knowledge and talent, but also to the aplomb with which she approached
> every topic and recipe. Her good nature, sense of humor, and ability to
> laugh at herself made her all the more appealing and approachable. For
> all of that I owe most of my cooking skills and approach to food to
> Julia. Her exhaustively tested recipes and ability to teach technique,
> either personally on television or in written word are unequaled by
> anyone else in the field.
>
> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.
>
> In later years I videotaped most of her shows and still have them. It's
> too bad that home video recorders didn't exist earlier. I'm sure I would
> have had it on tape. BTW, it was a B&W episode.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

I agree wholeheartedly. Ditto everything you said. I'm waiting for some
shows memorializing her career, so I can see her at her best. To me she was
someone I would have loved to work with, to just hang out and cook and then
eat. With our glass of wine in hand of course.

Suzan

Wayne

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
:

> "limey" > got out the keyboard and wrote
> :
>

>> "Wayne"wrote in message > I
>>
>> <snipped for brevity>
>>>
>>> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode,
>>> a fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts"
>>> who swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I
>>> don't, the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl
>>> that dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description
>>> of a range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken
>>> to Cornish hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped,
>>> either the duck or chicken.

>> Wayne
>>
>> Here's a comment from another newsgroup, Wayne. It certainly rings a
>> bell with me, if only for her comment!
>>
>> ".....On one program she dropped the chicken on the floor, picked it
>> up to carry on, looked straight at the camera and said, 'Remember, you
>> are alone in the kitchen - no one will ever know' ".
>>
>> Dora

> Supposedly this is an urban legend which has made the rounds for years.
> Check it out:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/julia.htm
>
> Michael

I've read this and other accounts refuting the incident, but I still
disagree and maintain that "I saw it happen". Maybe someday someone will
dredge up the kinescope, video, or film from that long-ago show and
dispel the real myth. <g>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
:

> "limey" > got out the keyboard and wrote
> :
>

>> "Wayne"wrote in message > I
>>
>> <snipped for brevity>
>>>
>>> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode,
>>> a fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts"
>>> who swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I
>>> don't, the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl
>>> that dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description
>>> of a range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken
>>> to Cornish hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped,
>>> either the duck or chicken.

>> Wayne
>>
>> Here's a comment from another newsgroup, Wayne. It certainly rings a
>> bell with me, if only for her comment!
>>
>> ".....On one program she dropped the chicken on the floor, picked it
>> up to carry on, looked straight at the camera and said, 'Remember, you
>> are alone in the kitchen - no one will ever know' ".
>>
>> Dora

> Supposedly this is an urban legend which has made the rounds for years.
> Check it out:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/julia.htm
>
> Michael

I've read this and other accounts refuting the incident, but I still
disagree and maintain that "I saw it happen". Maybe someday someone will
dredge up the kinescope, video, or film from that long-ago show and
dispel the real myth. <g>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
:

> "limey" > got out the keyboard and wrote
> :
>

>> "Wayne"wrote in message > I
>>
>> <snipped for brevity>
>>>
>>> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode,
>>> a fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts"
>>> who swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I
>>> don't, the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl
>>> that dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description
>>> of a range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken
>>> to Cornish hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped,
>>> either the duck or chicken.

>> Wayne
>>
>> Here's a comment from another newsgroup, Wayne. It certainly rings a
>> bell with me, if only for her comment!
>>
>> ".....On one program she dropped the chicken on the floor, picked it
>> up to carry on, looked straight at the camera and said, 'Remember, you
>> are alone in the kitchen - no one will ever know' ".
>>
>> Dora

> Supposedly this is an urban legend which has made the rounds for years.
> Check it out:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/julia.htm
>
> Michael

I've read this and other accounts refuting the incident, but I still
disagree and maintain that "I saw it happen". Maybe someday someone will
dredge up the kinescope, video, or film from that long-ago show and
dispel the real myth. <g>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Wayne" > wrote in message

> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.

I saw a snippet of something on TV last night. It was of Julia with all of
the assorted fowl lined up. They didn't play Julia's audio, though, it was
their own blathering commentary instead. But the sight of all those birds
lined up (as if they were sitting up, looking at the audience) was pretty
comical. I imagine that was the episode you're referring to...I don't know
whether one slipped, though.

Chris

Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Wayne" > wrote in message

> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.

I saw a snippet of something on TV last night. It was of Julia with all of
the assorted fowl lined up. They didn't play Julia's audio, though, it was
their own blathering commentary instead. But the sight of all those birds
lined up (as if they were sitting up, looking at the audience) was pretty
comical. I imagine that was the episode you're referring to...I don't know
whether one slipped, though.

Chris

Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Wayne" > wrote in message

> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode, a
> fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts" who
> swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I don't,
> the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl that
> dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description of a
> range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken to Cornish
> hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped, either the duck or
> chicken.

I saw a snippet of something on TV last night. It was of Julia with all of
the assorted fowl lined up. They didn't play Julia's audio, though, it was
their own blathering commentary instead. But the sight of all those birds
lined up (as if they were sitting up, looking at the audience) was pretty
comical. I imagine that was the episode you're referring to...I don't know
whether one slipped, though.

Chris

Wayne

"Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>

>> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode,
>> a fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts"
>> who swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I
>> don't, the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl
>> that dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description
>> of a range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken
>> to Cornish hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped,
>> either the duck or chicken.

> I saw a snippet of something on TV last night. It was of Julia with
> all of the assorted fowl lined up. They didn't play Julia's audio,
> though, it was their own blathering commentary instead. But the sight
> of all those birds lined up (as if they were sitting up, looking at
> the audience) was pretty comical. I imagine that was the episode
> you're referring to...I don't know whether one slipped, though.
>
> Chris

Thanks, Chris. Yes, that's the episode. Too bad they didn't show more.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>

>> Having said all that, I still maintain that on a very early episode,
>> a fowl slipped to the floor, and I dispute the word of the "experts"
>> who swear it didn't happen. IIRC, and I'm sure that many will say I
>> don't, the episode in question was not involved in cooking the fowl
>> that dropped, but one in which she was giving a detailed description
>> of a range of fowl from turkey to goose to duck to capon to chicken
>> to Cornish hen. All were lined up on the bench and one slipped,
>> either the duck or chicken.

> I saw a snippet of something on TV last night. It was of Julia with
> all of the assorted fowl lined up. They didn't play Julia's audio,
> though, it was their own blathering commentary instead. But the sight
> of all those birds lined up (as if they were sitting up, looking at
> the audience) was pretty comical. I imagine that was the episode
> you're referring to...I don't know whether one slipped, though.
>
> Chris

Thanks, Chris. Yes, that's the episode. Too bad they didn't show more.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne