FoodBanter.com

-   -   can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/30377-can-sour-cream-substitute.html)

SPOONS 05-08-2004 08:20 PM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche? If so, is low fat sour
cream ok? or can I mix it with some 35% cream?

Thanks,
SPOONS
My photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

PENMART01 05-08-2004 09:13 PM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

>"SPOONS" writes:
>
>can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

Of course... sour cream can can even be a substitute for sex.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 05-08-2004 09:13 PM

Dimitri 05-08-2004 09:14 PM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
rs.com...
> can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche? If so, is low fat sour
> cream ok? or can I mix it with some 35% cream?
>
> Thanks,
> SPOONS
> My photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

In what?

Dimitri

Dimitri 05-08-2004 09:14 PM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

rs.com...

Bob (this one) 05-08-2004 09:15 PM

SPOONS wrote:

> can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche? If so, is low fat sour
> cream ok? or can I mix it with some 35% cream?

It depends what you're using it for.

Um, what are you using it for?

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 05-08-2004 09:15 PM

zuuum 06-08-2004 03:55 AM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

from the web http://www.ochef.com/206.htm

"Most people make a facsimile of crème fraîche by adding a tablespoon of
buttermilk to a cup of whipping cream, heating it gently to 110°F (45°C),
then putting it in a loosely covered bottle in a warm place and letting it
sit for anywhere from 8 hours to a couple of days, until thick. Store it in
the refrigerator, where it will thicken further, and keep for about three
weeks. You can also whip it like whipping cream."

Remember, "facsimile"

Rodney Myrvaagnes 06-08-2004 05:51 AM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:20:59 GMT, "SPOONS"
> wrote:

>can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche? If so, is low fat sour
>cream ok? or can I mix it with some 35% cream?

I think that is a decision only you can make. It is not the same at
all, but it may be all right, depending on what you will use it for.

I would more likely substitute a really good yogurt if I had to, but
that wouldn't be the same either.

For that matter everybody's creme fraiche is different, too.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again

SPOONS 06-08-2004 09:44 AM

can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

I'm using it for a banana bread recipe which calls for 1/4 c cram fraich.
I've never purchased or tried cream fraische befor.

Take care,

Mike Carvin 06-08-2004 09:17 PM

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"SPOONS" writes:
> >
> >can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche?

> Of course... sour cream can can even be a substitute for sex.

Now we know how Sheldon spends his spare time ;-)

MikeC

Mike Carvin 06-08-2004 09:17 PM

Bob (this one) 07-08-2004 02:08 AM

SPOONS wrote:

> I'm using it for a banana bread recipe which calls for 1/4 c cram fraich.
> I've never purchased or tried cream fraische befor.

You can use virtually any cultured or soured milk product for that.
Yogurt, sour cream, mascarpone cheese, ricotta (either sieved or
processed), drained kefir or creme fraiche.

The different amounts of fat in each will give slightly different
finished results. The more fat, the more moist the bread.

Pastorio