zuuum

Default pleated toques

I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally the
number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew to
prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more about its history? And of
course, just how many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've seen
some pretty tight pleating. lol

http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

Bob (this one)

zuuum wrote:

> I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally the
> number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew to
> prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
> Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more about its history? And of
> course, just how many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've seen
> some pretty tight pleating. lol
>
> http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

There's "folklore" and "fakelore." This article is filled with stories
with no foundation in any scholarly source. Careme did introduce the
toque where before cooks wore nightcaps. Otherwise, not much can be
documented and it represents the repeating of many dubious stories.
That business about the orthodox church has been discounted entirely.

The fact is that lots of stuff happened that wasn't documented. Now
it's respectable and customary. But how and where remain mysteries.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

zuuum wrote:

> I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally the
> number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew to
> prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
> Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more about its history? And of
> course, just how many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've seen
> some pretty tight pleating. lol
>
> http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

There's "folklore" and "fakelore." This article is filled with stories
with no foundation in any scholarly source. Careme did introduce the
toque where before cooks wore nightcaps. Otherwise, not much can be
documented and it represents the repeating of many dubious stories.
That business about the orthodox church has been discounted entirely.

The fact is that lots of stuff happened that wasn't documented. Now
it's respectable and customary. But how and where remain mysteries.

Pastorio

sf

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:02:27 GMT, "zuuum"
> wrote:

> I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally the
> number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew to
> prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
> Anyone else heard this?

How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

I'd love to think that a toque is like an old fashioned
nurse's cap which signifies where they were educated, but I
don't think there's any significant meaning in a toque these
days except it's what the exceutive chef or the management
tells them what to wear.

If there is meaning in a toque... please explain the
traditional looking toque with a star cut out on top.

sf
sf

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:02:27 GMT, "zuuum"
> wrote:

> I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally the
> number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew to
> prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
> Anyone else heard this?

How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

I'd love to think that a toque is like an old fashioned
nurse's cap which signifies where they were educated, but I
don't think there's any significant meaning in a toque these
days except it's what the exceutive chef or the management
tells them what to wear.

If there is meaning in a toque... please explain the
traditional looking toque with a star cut out on top.

sf

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

> How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
> an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
> more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

Just a HAT???

You've crossed a line, my friend.

In fact, I'd say that you're

One toque over the line,

sweet Jesus

Anne
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

> How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
> an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
> more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

Just a HAT???

You've crossed a line, my friend.

In fact, I'd say that you're

One toque over the line,

sweet Jesus

Anne
Bob (this one)

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

>>How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
>>an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
>>more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

> Just a HAT???
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
> sweet Jesus

And that puts the whole subject in the correct perspective... <g>

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

>>How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
>>an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
>>more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

> Just a HAT???
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
> sweet Jesus

And that puts the whole subject in the correct perspective... <g>

Pastorio

sf

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:11:34 -0700, "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq."

> > How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
> > an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
> > more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

> Just a HAT???
>
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
>
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
>
> sweet Jesus

LOLOL!

sf

sf

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:11:34 -0700, "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq."

> > How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
> > an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
> > more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

> Just a HAT???
>
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
>
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
>
> sweet Jesus

LOLOL!

sf
zuuum

lol.. I knew it was coming sooner or later.

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> > How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
> > an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
> > more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

> Just a HAT???
>
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
>
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
>
> sweet Jesus
>

> Anne

zuuum

lol.. I knew it was coming sooner or later.

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> > How many CLASSICAL ways they can prepare EGGS????? I'm not
> > an expert on the subject, but it's just a HAT. Chef's have
> > more on their plate than eggs. <s> It's a costume.

> Just a HAT???
>
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
>
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
>
> sweet Jesus
>

> Anne

zuuum

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
> > I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally

the
> > number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew

> > prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
> > Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more about its history? And

of
> > course, just how many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've

seen
> > some pretty tight pleating. lol
> >
> > http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

> There's "folklore" and "fakelore." This article is filled with stories
> with no foundation in any scholarly source. ........

Exactly. That's why I asked. Personally, I always wear at least a cloth
toque. I adamently resist the baseball cap trend. Ultimately, chefwear is
not about style, but about protection in a very hazardous environment.

zuuum

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>
> > I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally

the
> > number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew

> > prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
> > Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more about its history? And

of
> > course, just how many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've

seen
> > some pretty tight pleating. lol
> >
> > http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

> There's "folklore" and "fakelore." This article is filled with stories
> with no foundation in any scholarly source. ........

Exactly. That's why I asked. Personally, I always wear at least a cloth
toque. I adamently resist the baseball cap trend. Ultimately, chefwear is
not about style, but about protection in a very hazardous environment.

Bob Myers

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
>
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
>
> sweet Jesus

Oh, gawd...I can see now that we've started a
debate which could only be concluded through a
joint discussion by the entire group...certainly, at
least, that would permit us to weed out the truth.

Bob M.

Bob Myers

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> You've crossed a line, my friend.
>
> In fact, I'd say that you're
>
> One toque over the line,
>
> sweet Jesus

Oh, gawd...I can see now that we've started a
debate which could only be concluded through a
joint discussion by the entire group...certainly, at
least, that would permit us to weed out the truth.

Bob M.

zuuum

Or perhaps a side thread... how many ways can one prepare an egg? But then
that must be qualified as "whole" eggs as the main dish. This was the main
reason I questioned the origin of the significance of the number of pleats.
Right off the top of my toque I get.....

fried (sunny up and over-easy)
basted
braized (fry and then steaming the top is more braized than basted)
scrambled
omelet
fritata
poached
boiled
coddled
dropped (as in egg flower soup)
Beijing

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message

> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> > You've crossed a line, my friend.
> >
> > In fact, I'd say that you're
> >
> > One toque over the line,
> >
> > sweet Jesus

> Oh, gawd...I can see now that we've started a
> debate which could only be concluded through a
> joint discussion by the entire group...certainly, at
> least, that would permit us to weed out the truth.
>
> Bob M.

zuuum

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message

> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> > You've crossed a line, my friend.
> >
> > In fact, I'd say that you're
> >
> > One toque over the line,
> >
> > sweet Jesus

> Oh, gawd...I can see now that we've started a
> debate which could only be concluded through a
> joint discussion by the entire group...certainly, at
> least, that would permit us to weed out the truth.
>
> Bob M.

Bob (this one)

zuuum wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>> zuuum wrote:
>>
>>> I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that
>>> traditionally the number of pleats in a chefs toque signified
>>> the number of ways he knew to prepare an egg. Then I came
>>> across it again on the web. Anyone else heard this? Does
>>> anyone know more about its history? And of course, just how
>>> many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've seen some
>>> pretty tight pleating. lol
>>>
>>> http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article
>>>

>> There's "folklore" and "fakelore." This article is filled with
>> stories with no foundation in any scholarly source. ........

> Exactly. That's why I asked. Personally, I always wear at least
> a cloth toque. I adamently resist the baseball cap trend.
> Ultimately, chefwear is not about style, but about protection in a
> very hazardous environment.

I used to wear the tall toque in my own operations, but gradually
stopped wearing it at all unless I was out front, and then the good
paper ones. Maybe carving or presenting some fancy-dancy piece of
culinary tomfoolery.

In the kitchen, no hat. Pot racks, hoods, stuff sticking out from all
over the kitchen. I wore coats I had made from denim just because I
liked them and because I always wore jeans. Later, I bought them when
several companies started making them.

No I sit home and write about food. No coats and half the time not
many clothes at all. Ahhhhhh

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

zuuum wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>> zuuum wrote:
>>
>>> I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that
>>> traditionally the number of pleats in a chefs toque signified
>>> the number of ways he knew to prepare an egg. Then I came
>>> across it again on the web. Anyone else heard this? Does
>>> anyone know more about its history? And of course, just how
>>> many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've seen some
>>> pretty tight pleating. lol
>>>
>>> http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article
>>>

>> There's "folklore" and "fakelore." This article is filled with
>> stories with no foundation in any scholarly source. ........

> Exactly. That's why I asked. Personally, I always wear at least
> a cloth toque. I adamently resist the baseball cap trend.
> Ultimately, chefwear is not about style, but about protection in a
> very hazardous environment.

I used to wear the tall toque in my own operations, but gradually
stopped wearing it at all unless I was out front, and then the good
paper ones. Maybe carving or presenting some fancy-dancy piece of
culinary tomfoolery.

In the kitchen, no hat. Pot racks, hoods, stuff sticking out from all
over the kitchen. I wore coats I had made from denim just because I
liked them and because I always wore jeans. Later, I bought them when
several companies started making them.

No I sit home and write about food. No coats and half the time not
many clothes at all. Ahhhhhh

Pastorio

notbob

On 2004-08-05, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. > wrote:

> You obviously have never been to the Castro area of San Francisco.

You just blinded my mind's eye!

nb

notbob

On 2004-08-05, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. > wrote:

> You obviously have never been to the Castro area of San Francisco.

You just blinded my mind's eye!

nb
hahabogus

notbob > wrote in news:EvyQc.211724$%_6.63056@attbi_s01:

> On 2004-08-05, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. > wrote:
>
>> You obviously have never been to the Castro area of San Francisco.

> You just blinded my mind's eye!
>
> nb

Up here if you wear a pleated toque ...you're called a sissy-boy and
laughed at...Up here people wear toques as cold weather winter gear. The
toques are knitted from wool and some have a tail long enough to double as
a scarf, including the pompom. Required wear if toboganing...

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

notbob > wrote in news:EvyQc.211724$%_6.63056@attbi_s01:

> On 2004-08-05, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. > wrote:
>
>> You obviously have never been to the Castro area of San Francisco.

> You just blinded my mind's eye!
>
> nb

Up here if you wear a pleated toque ...you're called a sissy-boy and
laughed at...Up here people wear toques as cold weather winter gear. The
toques are knitted from wool and some have a tail long enough to double as
a scarf, including the pompom. Required wear if toboganing...

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
"Bob Myers" > wrote:

> Oh, gawd...I can see now that we've started a
> debate which could only be concluded through a
> joint discussion by the entire group...certainly, at
> least, that would permit us to weed out the truth.

Awww..you're just blowing smoke. We should really just clip this one
in the bud.

--
I am: Mom, Attorney, Columnist, Advocate for Fathers and Against Spam
http://www.accidentalevangelist.com
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> Up here if you wear a pleated toque ...you're called a sissy-boy and
> laughed at..

Actually up here you don't need to wear a pleated toque..just being a
member of the legislature will get you called a girly-boy. <grin>

--
I am: Mom, Attorney, Columnist, Advocate for Fathers and Against Spam
http://www.accidentalevangelist.com
http://www.aunty-spam.com
http://www.dadsrights.org

: I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that traditionally the
: number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the number of ways he knew to
: prepare an egg. Then I came across it again on the web.
: Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more about its history? And of
: course, just how many classical ways can one prepare an egg??? I've seen
: some pretty tight pleating. lol

: http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

To quote the web site above:

"were first said to have been added to indicate the more than 100 ways in
which a chef can cook an egg."

Note that it clearly says "100 ways in which a chef CAN cook an egg".

It doesn't say "the ways in which a chef KNOWS how to cook an egg".

Wayne

wrote in :

>: I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that
>: traditionally the number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the
>: number of ways he knew to prepare an egg. Then I came across it
>: again on the web. Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more
>: about its history? And of course, just how many classical ways can
>: one prepare an egg??? I've seen some pretty tight pleating. lol
>
>:
http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

> To quote the web site above:
>
> "were first said to have been added to indicate the more than 100 ways
> in which a chef can cook an egg."
>

> Note that it clearly says "100 ways in which a chef CAN cook an egg".
>
> It doesn't say "the ways in which a chef KNOWS how to cook an egg".

It would be a funny looking toque if he only knew how to fry an egg.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

wrote in :

>: I remember hearing somewhere in my culinary training that
>: traditionally the number of pleats in a chefs toque signified the
>: number of ways he knew to prepare an egg. Then I came across it
>: again on the web. Anyone else heard this? Does anyone know more
>: about its history? And of course, just how many classical ways can
>: one prepare an egg??? I've seen some pretty tight pleating. lol
>
>:
http://www.cheftalk.com/content/disp...5&type=article

> To quote the web site above:
>
> "were first said to have been added to indicate the more than 100 ways
> in which a chef can cook an egg."
>

> Note that it clearly says "100 ways in which a chef CAN cook an egg".
>
> It doesn't say "the ways in which a chef KNOWS how to cook an egg".

It would be a funny looking toque if he only knew how to fry an egg.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne