FoodBanter.com

-   -   Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/30162-got-my-new-pressure.html)

Anne Duhon 04-08-2004 03:37 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
I really like it so thanks to all.

New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
incomes. Anne

Wayne 04-08-2004 04:45 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

(Anne Duhon) wrote in news:19442-41104BE3-133
@storefull-3217.bay.webtv.net:

> Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
> longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
> I really like it so thanks to all.

Congratulations!

> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

That might be difficult, since some plastics can actually absorb and retain
odors. I would try soaking the jars and lids in a strong baking soda
solution overnight.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne 04-08-2004 04:45 AM

Katra 04-08-2004 08:26 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article >,
(Anne Duhon) wrote:

> Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
> longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
> I really like it so thanks to all.
>
> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

My father re-uses those all the time.
We just bleach them.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 04-08-2004 08:26 AM

Katra 04-08-2004 08:26 AM

Kswck 04-08-2004 10:58 AM

"Anne Duhon" > wrote in message
> Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
> longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
> I really like it so thanks to all.
>
> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

Buy a couple at your local Linens N Things or Bed Bath & Beyond. They only
cost about $2, if that.

Kswck 04-08-2004 10:58 AM

Kswck 04-08-2004 10:58 AM

"Anne Duhon" > wrote in message
> Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
> longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
> I really like it so thanks to all.
>
> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

Buy a couple at your local Linens N Things or Bed Bath & Beyond. They only
cost about $2, if that.

04-08-2004 12:26 PM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article >,
says...
> Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
> longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
> I really like it so thanks to all.
>
> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

Good luck with the new pressure cooker. They're great kitchen tools.
You should find your 6 qt model much more versatile than a smaller one.

On the spice jar question, consider whether the characteristics of the
spice you'll be putting into the jar will even be affected by the
leftover aroma of the previous occupant. If you're putting garam masala
into a former dill weed container, it's a safe bet as to which aroma
will prevail.

Wayne's baking soda suggestion is good. In stubborn cases rinsing the
solution out after letting it set a night or two, then replacing it with
a fresh baking soda solution for another night or two may help. Using
hot water to make the baking soda solution, or even very gentle
simmering in a baking soda bath could also help. The squatty
translucent McCormick jars can take quite a bit of heat, but boiling
will probably do them in.

Bob

04-08-2004 12:26 PM

Melba's Jammin' 04-08-2004 01:51 PM

(Anne Duhon) wrote:

> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

Can you afford about a buck per jar for a spice jar/bottle? That's
about what they cost. Or else give the spice in a baggie and let the
recipient figure out how to store it. Have you tried hot soap and
water on the Mccormick containers? If they're glass, that's about all
it should take. If they're plastic, try a weak chlorine bleach solution
and then let them air dry in the sunshine.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin' 04-08-2004 01:51 PM

hahabogus 04-08-2004 03:32 PM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

> neighbors who live on fixed
>> incomes. Anne

This makes me think they are retired. If so offer them spices but use some
of their empty pill bottles, well washed of course. You could print up a
fancy label.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

05-08-2004 01:39 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article >,
says...
> I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

I forgot to mention that this is admirable, Anne, and a good way to
"spread the wealth" before the spices lose their oomph.

Also, I forgot to wonder out loud why people who live on "fixed" incomes
are so often "broke".

Bob

05-08-2004 01:39 AM

Anne Duhon 05-08-2004 03:33 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

I will try both baking soda and clorox. I have washed them in hot water
and left them open to air for weeks. It didnt work at all.

Yes, these women are senior citizens and are quite nice people. Bob,
you wonder why they are broke. Its the cost of prescription drugs that
takes a large chunk of their income also the ones I want to help are
widows living on half the income they had when their husbands were
alive. I am fortunate, my husband is alive and we have good prescription
coverage.

Using their empty prescription containers is a great idea. Thanks again
to all. Anne

Melba's Jammin' 05-08-2004 01:05 PM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article >, >
wrote:

> Also, I forgot to wonder out loud why people who live on "fixed"
> incomes are so often "broke".
> Bob

Because their expenses often are not.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin' 05-08-2004 01:05 PM

BOB 05-08-2004 11:20 PM

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html

BOB 05-08-2004 11:20 PM

BOB 05-08-2004 11:20 PM

Nancy Young 05-08-2004 11:58 PM

Dog3 wrote:

> > tip tapped :
>

> > Also, I forgot to wonder out loud why people who live on "fixed" incomes
> > are so often "broke".
> >
> > Bob

> If prices were fixed as well, they would be okay. Unfortunately prices are
> not fixed in the US and people on fixed incomes get swallowed with rising
> prices, inflation etc.

What's really sad is how many working people are on fixed incomes
these days. Big whoop, get a little raise and the cost of your
benefits or taxes goes up.

I would hope, though, that people understand, you can't just count
on social security or pensions anymore. Sock away as much as you
can of your own money. SS was never meant to support you. It's a
lifeline.

nancy's public announcement for today

kalanamak 06-08-2004 01:05 AM

Dog3 wrote:

> That's what I was going to suggest or go to a wholesale outlet. You could
> also try a restaurant supply store. Buy the glass, put a small tag on it,
> and give as gifts.

I use the little canning jars. Pretty cheap for what nice jars, with
uniform and replaceable lids. Always buy Penzey's bulk and after I load
up MY jar, I give away the extra.
blacksalt

kalanamak 06-08-2004 01:05 AM

HiTech RedNeck 06-08-2004 09:11 AM

"Anne Duhon" > wrote in message
to all.

> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars.

Why bother; buy new jars, and recycle the old ones yourself for the same
kind of spice they once held or else take or give them along with glass,
etc. to your local recycler. You'll never perfectly purge the odor from the
plastic, which will in time give the new spices an off taste.

HiTech RedNeck 06-08-2004 09:11 AM

Rick & Cyndi 06-08-2004 11:46 PM

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Dog3 wrote:
>

> > That's what I was going to suggest or go to a wholesale outlet. You

could
> > also try a restaurant supply store. Buy the glass, put a small tag on

it,
> > and give as gifts.

> I use the little canning jars. Pretty cheap for what nice jars, with
> uniform and replaceable lids. Always buy Penzey's bulk and after I load
> up MY jar, I give away the extra.
> blacksalt

=========

Is the house next door to you for sale?

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi 06-08-2004 11:46 PM

=========

Donna Rose 07-08-2004 02:47 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article > ,
says...

> "Anne Duhon" > wrote in message
> to all.
> >
> > New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> > empty plastic McCormick jars.

> Why bother; buy new jars, and recycle the old ones yourself for the same
> kind of spice they once held or else take or give them along with glass,
> etc. to your local recycler. You'll never perfectly purge the odor from the
> plastic, which will in time give the new spices an off taste.

Cost Plus has spice jars, with the little plastic sprinkle cap and a
screw on overcap, for 99 cents each. I buy them a couple dozen at a time
because I make up a lot of my own spice mixes and give them as gifts.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

Donna Rose 07-08-2004 02:47 AM

notbob 07-08-2004 02:58 AM

On 2004-08-07, Donna Rose > wrote:

> Cost Plus has spice jars, with the little plastic sprinkle cap and a
> screw on overcap, for 99 cents each.

Are they glass?

nb

notbob 07-08-2004 02:58 AM

Rick & Cyndi 07-08-2004 02:07 PM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

"Donna Rose" > wrote in message
k.net...
> In article > ,
> says...
> >
> > "Anne Duhon" > wrote in message
> > to all.
> > >
> > > New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in

those
> > > empty plastic McCormick jars.

> > Why bother; buy new jars, and recycle the old ones yourself for the same
> > kind of spice they once held or else take or give them along with glass,
> > etc. to your local recycler. You'll never perfectly purge the odor from

the
> > plastic, which will in time give the new spices an off taste.
> >

> Cost Plus has spice jars, with the little plastic sprinkle cap and a
> screw on overcap, for 99 cents each. I buy them a couple dozen at a time
> because I make up a lot of my own spice mixes and give them as gifts.
> --
> Donna
> A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

===========

For that matter, you can go to Big Lots/Odd Lots and buy their's for $0.48 a
piece. They may not be as fresh as Penzeys but are better than nothing at
all. You could also just buy their containers of parsley, dump it out and
refill with whatever you want. The parsley jars don't seem to hold as much
scent as some of the other herbs/spices.

HTH,
Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi 07-08-2004 02:07 PM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

k.net...

Rick & Cyndi 07-08-2004 02:07 PM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

k.net...

Donna Rose 11-08-2004 04:31 AM

Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article <aHWQc.257911$XM6.110897@attbi_s53>,
says...
> On 2004-08-07, Donna Rose > wrote:
>
> > Cost Plus has spice jars, with the little plastic sprinkle cap and a
> > screw on overcap, for 99 cents each.

> Are they glass?
>
> nb

yes. sorry for the delay in responding here...been out of town a few
days.