Default boneless skinless? or bone in and with skin?

Lately I hardly ever see a recipe for chicken breast that doesn't call
for boneless skinless. What if I used bone in with some skin. What do
I have to consider when cooking them?

Another point -- It probably seems mad but my husband constantly
complains that there is no fat on anything. Everything is trimmed
before you buy it.

remove xxx to reply by email
Mpoconnor7

>> Lately I hardly ever see a recipe for chicken breast that doesn't call
>> for boneless skinless. What if I used bone in with some skin. What do
>> I have to consider when cooking them?

>Use some method that will keep them from drying out.

One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual chicken
pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the middle.
Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
(right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt and
pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil tightly so
no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them still in the
foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the cooked
chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully, pull
the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on your
potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Mpoconnor7

>> Lately I hardly ever see a recipe for chicken breast that doesn't call
>> for boneless skinless. What if I used bone in with some skin. What do
>> I have to consider when cooking them?

>Use some method that will keep them from drying out.

One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual chicken
pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the middle.
Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
(right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt and
pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil tightly so
no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them still in the
foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the cooked
chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully, pull
the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on your
potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Mama2EandJ

>Subject: boneless skinless? or bone in and with skin?
>From: ojunk

I use bone in with skin. The boneless ones are just too dry and flavorless .
Occasionally I get boneless and skinless thighs...they have enough fat in them
so that if you grill them quickly, they are quite good.

PENMART01

>(Mama2EandJ) writes.
>
>I use bone in with skin. The boneless ones are just too dry and flavorless .

The only way I enjoy boneless skinless chicken breasts is ground with some
veggies (celery, onion, parsley, carrot, potato, etc.), seasoned with spices
and herbs, blended with egg and cracker crumbs, formed into thick
croquette-like patties, sometimes breaded, and fried... or formed into tiny
meat balls and poached in soup. Tossed whole on the grill, even marinated,
they're fairly flavorless and pulling them off the grill before they go from
juicy to petrified is a crap shoot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(Mama2EandJ) writes.
>
>I use bone in with skin. The boneless ones are just too dry and flavorless .

The only way I enjoy boneless skinless chicken breasts is ground with some
veggies (celery, onion, parsley, carrot, potato, etc.), seasoned with spices
and herbs, blended with egg and cracker crumbs, formed into thick
croquette-like patties, sometimes breaded, and fried... or formed into tiny
meat balls and poached in soup. Tossed whole on the grill, even marinated,
they're fairly flavorless and pulling them off the grill before they go from
juicy to petrified is a crap shoot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(Mama2EandJ) writes.
>
>I use bone in with skin. The boneless ones are just too dry and flavorless .

The only way I enjoy boneless skinless chicken breasts is ground with some
veggies (celery, onion, parsley, carrot, potato, etc.), seasoned with spices
and herbs, blended with egg and cracker crumbs, formed into thick
croquette-like patties, sometimes breaded, and fried... or formed into tiny
meat balls and poached in soup. Tossed whole on the grill, even marinated,
they're fairly flavorless and pulling them off the grill before they go from
juicy to petrified is a crap shoot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Katra

In article >,
ojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote:

> >> Lately I hardly ever see a recipe for chicken breast that doesn't call
> >> for boneless skinless. What if I used bone in with some skin. What do
> >> I have to consider when cooking them?

> >Use some method that will keep them from drying out.

> One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual
> chicken
> pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the
> middle.
> Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
> (right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt and
> pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil tightly
> so
> no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them still in
> the
> foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the cooked
> chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully, pull
> the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on your
> potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.
>

> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>
> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
> proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
> James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

I finally found a way to keep both boneless skinless chicken breasts,
and lean pork chops from drying out.

I use the foreman grill!!!

it's made all the difference in the world.
I've been amazed.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Bob (this one)

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> ojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote:
>=20
>=20

>>>Use some method that will keep them from drying out.=20

>>One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual =

>>chicken
>>pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the=

=20
>>middle.
>> Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom s=

oup
>>(right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt an=

>>pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil ti=

ghtly=20
>>so
>>no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them stil=

l in=20
>>the
>>foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the coo=

ked
>>chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully=

, pull
>>the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on y=

our
>>potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.
>>

>>Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>
>>"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
>>proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
>>James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

>=20
>=20
> I finally found a way to keep both boneless skinless chicken breasts,=20
> and lean pork chops from drying out.
>=20
> I use the foreman grill!!!
>=20
> it's made all the difference in the world.
> I've been amazed.

And all this is why I buy boneless and skinless chicken thighs at=20
Costco for $1.89/lb. Grilled, fried, broiled, baked - always nice and=20
moist, always tasty. 100% yield; no waste.

Cooked off about 20 of them tonight to just over medium doneness - up=20
to about 150=B0F. In the fridge now waiting to finish over the next few=20
days. Reheat most wonderfully in the mike with a lettuce leaf wrapped=20
around them to protect. Warm most nicely in a cream sauce.=20
Rethermalize most grandly chopped into a chili base. Re-get-warm=20
coarsely sliced into a rich broth.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> ojunk (Mpoconnor7) wrote:
>=20
>=20

>>>Use some method that will keep them from drying out.=20

>>One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual =

>>chicken
>>pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the=

=20
>>middle.
>> Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom s=

oup
>>(right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt an=

>>pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil ti=

ghtly=20
>>so
>>no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them stil=

l in=20
>>the
>>foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the coo=

ked
>>chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully=

, pull
>>the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on y=

our
>>potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.
>>

>>Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>
>>"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
>>proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
>>James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

>=20
>=20
> I finally found a way to keep both boneless skinless chicken breasts,=20
> and lean pork chops from drying out.
>=20
> I use the foreman grill!!!
>=20
> it's made all the difference in the world.
> I've been amazed.

And all this is why I buy boneless and skinless chicken thighs at=20
Costco for $1.89/lb. Grilled, fried, broiled, baked - always nice and=20
moist, always tasty. 100% yield; no waste.

Cooked off about 20 of them tonight to just over medium doneness - up=20
to about 150=B0F. In the fridge now waiting to finish over the next few=20
days. Reheat most wonderfully in the mike with a lettuce leaf wrapped=20
around them to protect. Warm most nicely in a cream sauce.=20
Rethermalize most grandly chopped into a chili base. Re-get-warm=20
coarsely sliced into a rich broth.

Pastorio

Katra

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:

> >>One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual
> >>chicken
> >>pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the
> >>middle.
> >> Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
> >>(right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt and
> >>pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil
> >>tightly
> >>so
> >>no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them still in
> >>the
> >>foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the cooked
> >>chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully,
> >>pull
> >>the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on your
> >>potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.
> >>

> >>Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
> >>
> >>"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
> >>proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
> >>James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

> > I finally found a way to keep both boneless skinless chicken breasts,
> > and lean pork chops from drying out.
> >
> > I use the foreman grill!!!
> >
> > it's made all the difference in the world.
> > I've been amazed.

> And all this is why I buy boneless and skinless chicken thighs at
> Costco for $1.89/lb. Grilled, fried, broiled, baked - always nice and
> moist, always tasty. 100% yield; no waste.
>
> Cooked off about 20 of them tonight to just over medium doneness - up
> to about 150°F. In the fridge now waiting to finish over the next few
> days. Reheat most wonderfully in the mike with a lettuce leaf wrapped
> around them to protect. Warm most nicely in a cream sauce.
> Rethermalize most grandly chopped into a chili base. Re-get-warm
> coarsely sliced into a rich broth.
>
> Pastorio

I buy those at HEB in 2 lb. frozen bags. ;-)
I made stir fry with them this morning... I buy very few breasts, just
when I had my sister and her family over as it was _their_ preference.

I used some boneless skinless thighs in some stir fry for lunch today,
cut into strips with bok choy, celery, abalone mushroom, onions,
broccoli crowns, fresh grated ginger, eggs, salad shrimp, garlic and
just a dash of teryaki.

I do prefer thigh meat, I was just pointing out that that grill actually
made chicken breast edible. :-d

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:

> >>One good way to cook bone in chicken in the oven is to take individual
> >>chicken
> >>pieces and set them on a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum foil, right in the
> >>middle.
> >> Put a nice heaping teaspoon of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
> >>(right out of the can) on top of the chicken piece, hit it with salt and
> >>pepper, and fold the foil around the chicken piece and seal the foil
> >>tightly
> >>so
> >>no steam escapes. Bake at 350 for an hour, and you can serve them still in
> >>the
> >>foil. Best served with Mashed Potatoes, as the soup mixes with the cooked
> >>chicken juices and makes a tasty gravy. Just open each piece carefully,
> >>pull
> >>the chicken piece out and set it on your plate, and pour the gravy on your
> >>potatoes. Very easy to make. It doesn't get any better than that.
> >>

> >>Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
> >>
> >>"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
> >>proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
> >>James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

> > I finally found a way to keep both boneless skinless chicken breasts,
> > and lean pork chops from drying out.
> >
> > I use the foreman grill!!!
> >
> > it's made all the difference in the world.
> > I've been amazed.

> And all this is why I buy boneless and skinless chicken thighs at
> Costco for $1.89/lb. Grilled, fried, broiled, baked - always nice and
> moist, always tasty. 100% yield; no waste.
>
> Cooked off about 20 of them tonight to just over medium doneness - up
> to about 150°F. In the fridge now waiting to finish over the next few
> days. Reheat most wonderfully in the mike with a lettuce leaf wrapped
> around them to protect. Warm most nicely in a cream sauce.
> Rethermalize most grandly chopped into a chili base. Re-get-warm
> coarsely sliced into a rich broth.
>
> Pastorio

I buy those at HEB in 2 lb. frozen bags. ;-)
I made stir fry with them this morning... I buy very few breasts, just
when I had my sister and her family over as it was _their_ preference.

I used some boneless skinless thighs in some stir fry for lunch today,
cut into strips with bok choy, celery, abalone mushroom, onions,
broccoli crowns, fresh grated ginger, eggs, salad shrimp, garlic and
just a dash of teryaki.

I do prefer thigh meat, I was just pointing out that that grill actually
made chicken breast edible. :-d

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

notbob

On 2004-08-03, Katra > wrote:

> I use the foreman grill!!!
>
> it's made all the difference in the world.
> I've been amazed.

I don't have a foreman grill, but I've found a good alternative cooking
method for boneless/skinless. I cut them in half, flat-wise, then pan fry
them. Since they cook through in less time, the surface meat doesn't dry
out. They are always nice and moist.

nb
notbob

On 2004-08-03, Katra > wrote:

> I use the foreman grill!!!
>
> it's made all the difference in the world.
> I've been amazed.

I don't have a foreman grill, but I've found a good alternative cooking
method for boneless/skinless. I cut them in half, flat-wise, then pan fry
them. Since they cook through in less time, the surface meat doesn't dry
out. They are always nice and moist.

nb
Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > got
> ****ed off and typed
> ink.net:

> >> I use bone in with skin. The boneless ones are just too dry and
> >> flavorless

> > .
> >> Occasionally I get boneless and skinless thighs...they have enough
> >> fat in

> > them
> >> so that if you grill them quickly, they are quite good.

> > Try brining the boneless ones - they are much better if brined.
> >

> I found a cut up chicken, skinless, bone in on sale a couple of years

ago.
> I could not decide what to do with it. I rubbed schmaltz (really stupid
> move, I should have just bought the skin on pieces) S&P and some
> spices/herbs but I can't remember what I used. I baked at about 325-350
> for maybe an hour, maybe less. They were very tasty.

Well, speaking of food prices my local soopermart has boneless chix breasts
on sale for $1.68 per pound...that's the lowest I've seen in quite a while
so I'll be stocking up....even beef is on sale for a pretty good price (pork
has been fairly reasonable)....cabbage four lbs. for a buck - can we tawk
cole slaw? Other veg on good sale also, so mebbe I'll be inspired by Barb
and try some canning. I read somewhere this morning that milk prices are
coming down, too.

--
Best
Greg

Katra

In article <kOMPc.200223$a24.117317@attbi_s03>,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2004-08-03, Katra > wrote:
>
> > I use the foreman grill!!!
> >
> > it's made all the difference in the world.
> > I've been amazed.

> I don't have a foreman grill, but I've found a good alternative cooking
> method for boneless/skinless. I cut them in half, flat-wise, then pan fry
> them. Since they cook through in less time, the surface meat doesn't dry
> out. They are always nice and moist.
>
> nb

Good idea, and that might be why the grill works so well!
I got a little one for $15.00 off of a local .forsale group.
I time a chicken breast for about 3 minutes and it's done to
a turn! Those grills cook hot and fast which is ideal for
any meat. I've even cooked fish in there! :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra