Charlene Charette

Default food poetry

A GOOSE FOR THE SAUCE

Oh how greedy Mr. Cross is!
He's simply mad about rich sauces.
From overindulgence in a bordelaise,
He's apt to end up drunk and disordelaise,
But the sauce he awards a big A plus
Is made by a friend who drives a bus.
On vacation during the ragweed and pollen days
He enjoys a busman's hollandaise.

--Ogden Nash

--
Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a
competent historian. --Lee Simonson

--

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Bob (this one)

Charlene Charette wrote:

> A GOOSE FOR THE SAUCE
>
> Oh how greedy Mr. Cross is!
> He's simply mad about rich sauces.
> From overindulgence in a bordelaise,
> He's apt to end up drunk and disordelaise,
> But the sauce he awards a big A plus
> Is made by a friend who drives a bus.
> On vacation during the ragweed and pollen days
> He enjoys a busman's hollandaise.
>
> --Ogden Nash

Love Nash. I wrote a piece on food poetry for the - brace yourself -
Oxford University Press Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink. Falls
trippingly from the tongue, no?

Also Food Music. Food Humor, too. Buncha others as well.

Out in September, they say. Biiiiig project with lots of people
contributing, many names you'll recognize from books, TV, newspapers,
magazines, etc..

Should be cool.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Charlene Charette wrote:

> A GOOSE FOR THE SAUCE
>
> Oh how greedy Mr. Cross is!
> He's simply mad about rich sauces.
> From overindulgence in a bordelaise,
> He's apt to end up drunk and disordelaise,
> But the sauce he awards a big A plus
> Is made by a friend who drives a bus.
> On vacation during the ragweed and pollen days
> He enjoys a busman's hollandaise.
>
> --Ogden Nash

Love Nash. I wrote a piece on food poetry for the - brace yourself -
Oxford University Press Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink. Falls
trippingly from the tongue, no?

Also Food Music. Food Humor, too. Buncha others as well.

Out in September, they say. Biiiiig project with lots of people
contributing, many names you'll recognize from books, TV, newspapers,
magazines, etc..

Should be cool.

Pastorio

Julian9EHP

http://www.kellscraft.com/bouillabasse.html

"The Ballad of Bouillabaisse," William Makepeace Thackery
Julian9EHP

http://www.kellscraft.com/bouillabasse.html

"The Ballad of Bouillabaisse," William Makepeace Thackery

Jeff Bienstadt

Charlene Charette wrote:

> A GOOSE FOR THE SAUCE
>
> Oh how greedy Mr. Cross is!
> He's simply mad about rich sauces.
> From overindulgence in a bordelaise,
> He's apt to end up drunk and disordelaise,
> But the sauce he awards a big A plus
> Is made by a friend who drives a bus.
> On vacation during the ragweed and pollen days
> He enjoys a busman's hollandaise.
>
> --Ogden Nash

Quoted from memory, so it may not be 100% accurate.

-------------
I was stirrin' up a stirrin' cup
In a stolen stirling stein,
When I chanced upon a ladle
Who was once my Valentine.

(Natural', this was a ladle I used to spoon with)

--- Walt Kelly (through Churchy La Femme)
-------------

---jkb

--
"Ooh, dumber than advertised!"
-- Yakko Warner

Jeff Bienstadt

Charlene Charette wrote:

> A GOOSE FOR THE SAUCE
>
> Oh how greedy Mr. Cross is!
> He's simply mad about rich sauces.
> From overindulgence in a bordelaise,
> He's apt to end up drunk and disordelaise,
> But the sauce he awards a big A plus
> Is made by a friend who drives a bus.
> On vacation during the ragweed and pollen days
> He enjoys a busman's hollandaise.
>
> --Ogden Nash

Quoted from memory, so it may not be 100% accurate.

-------------
I was stirrin' up a stirrin' cup
In a stolen stirling stein,
When I chanced upon a ladle
Who was once my Valentine.

(Natural', this was a ladle I used to spoon with)

--- Walt Kelly (through Churchy La Femme)
-------------

---jkb

--
"Ooh, dumber than advertised!"
-- Yakko Warner

Jeff Bienstadt

Charlene Charette wrote:

> A GOOSE FOR THE SAUCE
>
> Oh how greedy Mr. Cross is!
> He's simply mad about rich sauces.
> From overindulgence in a bordelaise,
> He's apt to end up drunk and disordelaise,
> But the sauce he awards a big A plus
> Is made by a friend who drives a bus.
> On vacation during the ragweed and pollen days
> He enjoys a busman's hollandaise.
>
> --Ogden Nash

Quoted from memory, so it may not be 100% accurate.

-------------
I was stirrin' up a stirrin' cup
In a stolen stirling stein,
When I chanced upon a ladle
Who was once my Valentine.

(Natural', this was a ladle I used to spoon with)

--- Walt Kelly (through Churchy La Femme)
-------------

---jkb

--
"Ooh, dumber than advertised!"
-- Yakko Warner

WardNA

>I was stirrin' up a stirrin' cup
>In a stolen stirling stein,
>When I chanced upon a ladle
>Who was once my Valentine.
>
>(Natural', this was a ladle I used to spoon with)
>
> --- Walt Kelly (through Churchy La Femme)

Yes, it's collected in the original Pogo book; mine, too, fell apart at the
spine long ago.

But I think it was actually "stirrup cup".

Then there's this, from Norman Lindsay (1918):

Let feeble feeders stoop
To plates of oyster soup.
Let pap engage
The gums of age
And appetites that droop;
We much prefer to chew
A steak-and-kidney stew.

Let yokels coarse appease
Their appetites with cheese.
Let women dream
Of cakes and cream,
We scorn fal-lals like these;
Our sterner sex extols
The joy of boiled jam rolls.

We scorn digestive pills;
Give us the food that fills;
Who bravely stuff
Themselves with Duff,
May laugh at Doctors' bills.
For medicine, partake
Of kidney, stewed with steak.

Then plight our faith anew
Three puddin'-owners true,
Who boldly claim
In Friendship's name
The noble Irish stoo,
Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurroo!

WardNA

>I was stirrin' up a stirrin' cup
>In a stolen stirling stein,
>When I chanced upon a ladle
>Who was once my Valentine.
>
>(Natural', this was a ladle I used to spoon with)
>
> --- Walt Kelly (through Churchy La Femme)

Yes, it's collected in the original Pogo book; mine, too, fell apart at the
spine long ago.

But I think it was actually "stirrup cup".

Then there's this, from Norman Lindsay (1918):

Let feeble feeders stoop
To plates of oyster soup.
Let pap engage
The gums of age
And appetites that droop;
We much prefer to chew
A steak-and-kidney stew.

Let yokels coarse appease
Their appetites with cheese.
Let women dream
Of cakes and cream,
We scorn fal-lals like these;
Our sterner sex extols
The joy of boiled jam rolls.

We scorn digestive pills;
Give us the food that fills;
Who bravely stuff
Themselves with Duff,
May laugh at Doctors' bills.
For medicine, partake
Of kidney, stewed with steak.

Then plight our faith anew
Three puddin'-owners true,
Who boldly claim
In Friendship's name
The noble Irish stoo,
Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurroo!

food poetry Kate Connally General Cooking 11 30-04-2009 02:47 PM
Poetry in Motion Dimitri General Cooking 3 25-03-2009 09:55 PM
Impure Poetry Old Mother Ashby General Cooking 6 22-05-2006 05:37 PM
Coozine Poetry Sheldon General Cooking 1 20-11-2005 06:21 PM
Food poetry ASmith1946 Historic 11 19-02-2004 02:45 AM