FoodBanter.com

-   -   Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/2968-port-wine-sauce-help.html)

Kate B 21-12-2003 11:19 PM

Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated)

I bought some fairly pricey "vintage port" for a special dish a few weeks
ago. We're doing herb and pepper crusted roast beef tenderloin for
Christmas and stuffed butterflied leg of lamb for Christmas Eve. I hate to
let this port go to waste but I am not a fan of sweeter wines to sip on and
was hoping to use the port wine for making some kind of sauce to accompany
one or the other of the meats. Looking through a few of my cook books most
port wine recipes seem to specify "tawny" or "ruby" port. I was wondering
if anyone had a really excellent recipe for a port wine sauce using a good
quality vintage port to accompany beef, preferably, or lamb (I've
tentatively decided to make a olive brine and lamb glace reduction sauce for
the lamb but that isn't written in stone).

We're having black truffle risotto to accompany the beef.

TIA

Kate

Stace 22-12-2003 12:37 AM

Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated)

"Kate B" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I bought some fairly pricey "vintage port" for a special dish a few weeks
> ago. We're doing herb and pepper crusted roast beef tenderloin for
> Christmas and stuffed butterflied leg of lamb for Christmas Eve. I hate

> let this port go to waste but I am not a fan of sweeter wines to sip on

and
> was hoping to use the port wine for making some kind of sauce to accompany
> one or the other of the meats. Looking through a few of my cook books

most
> port wine recipes seem to specify "tawny" or "ruby" port. I was wondering
> if anyone had a really excellent recipe for a port wine sauce using a good
> quality vintage port to accompany beef, preferably, or lamb (I've
> tentatively decided to make a olive brine and lamb glace reduction sauce

for
> the lamb but that isn't written in stone).
>
> We're having black truffle risotto to accompany the beef.
>
> TIA
>
> Kate

Oh Kate, *please* don't waste vintage port on a sauce...send it to ME!!!

Stace

Victor Sack 22-12-2003 11:29 PM

Kate B > wrote:

> Looking through a few of my cook books most
> port wine recipes seem to specify "tawny" or "ruby" port. I was wondering
> if anyone had a really excellent recipe for a port wine sauce using a good
> quality vintage port to accompany beef, preferably, or lamb

Oh, what a lamentable waste of great wine! :-( If you must, any recipe
calling for ruby port (but not tawny) will work...

Victor
vincing :-/