FoodBanter.com

-   -   Favorite Cake (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/29354-favorite-cake.html)

Denise~* 27-07-2004 09:27 PM

Favorite Cake

All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has
to have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes.
Fillings to me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on
top.

I really like a good white cake with a very rich chocolate frosting.
or a very rich moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.

These are pretty much neck in neck for first.

Second would be a traditional spice cake with cream cheese frosting.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Crookshanks 27-07-2004 10:09 PM

Favorite Cake

Give me a homemade carrot cake any old day, with real cream cheese frosting!

Crookshanks 27-07-2004 10:09 PM

Favorite Cake

PENMART01 27-07-2004 11:15 PM

Favorite Cake

>Denise~* writes:
>
>All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

Ice cream cake.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Howells 27-07-2004 11:43 PM

Favorite Cake

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

Haven't had cake in a long time, but my favorite is German's chocolate
cake, with the pecan/coconut icing. Perhaps on my next birthday.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

Arri London 28-07-2004 12:54 AM

Favorite Cake

Denise~* wrote:

> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.
>
> Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has
> to have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes.
> Fillings to me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on
> top.
>
> I really like a good white cake with a very rich chocolate frosting.
> or a very rich moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.
>
> These are pretty much neck in neck for first.
>
> Second would be a traditional spice cake with cream cheese frosting.
>
> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

True madeira or pound cake. Can be topped with anything.
A great hazelnut/whipped cream cake from a neighbourhood German bakery
when I was a kid. That was always the birthday cake for me!
German 'fruit salad cake': a genoise baked in a special form, topped
with fresh fruit and glazed. We just had one with strawberries. But
works well with tinned fruit too.

Mike Pearce 28-07-2004 01:03 AM

Favorite Cake

"Crookshanks" wrote in message
ink.net...
> Give me a homemade carrot cake any old day, with real cream cheese

frosting!

I think carrot cake might be my favorite as well. I do, sort of, think of a
carrot cake as more of a quick bread shaped like a cake as opposed to a
cake. I also really like a nice rich chocolate cake with white (vanilla)
frosting.

-Mike

28-07-2004 01:49 AM

Favorite Cake

Pound Cake

Spice Cake ( w/creamcheese frosting )

Yellow Torte Cake w/Chocolate-Peanut Butter frosting

<rj>

PENMART01 28-07-2004 02:31 AM

Favorite Cake

>" RJ " writes:
>
>Pound Cake
>
>Spice Cake ( w/creamcheese frosting )
>
>Yellow Torte Cake w/Chocolate-Peanut Butter frosting

Cheesecake.

Julia Altshuler 28-07-2004 03:18 AM

Favorite Cake

German Chocolate Cake
Carrot Cake

Layered cake with one layer of lemon, one layer of orange and one layer
of banana with raspberry jam + rum spread between the layers and cream
cheese frosting. I've made this a few times, and it has been a big
success each time. I use the cake recipes in The Silver Palate
Cookbook, but you have to use lots of citrus peel.

--Lia

Crookshanks 28-07-2004 04:08 AM

Favorite Cake

> I think carrot cake might be my favorite as well. I do, sort of, think of
> carrot cake as more of a quick bread shaped like a cake

That's funny, I always thought that too about carrot cake! Sort of in the
same vein as a pumpkin bread, both being spiced,sweet quick breads.

Crookshanks 28-07-2004 04:08 AM

Favorite Cake

Mama2EandJ 28-07-2004 04:16 AM

Favorite Cake

I like a bit of cake but without frosting. It is too sweet for my tastes.
Actually I usually make muffins out of a cake recipe, no frosting and freeze
them for an "emergency." ;) I also don't like cake mixes from a box...homemade
only for me.

28-07-2004 05:59 AM

Favorite Cake

I HATE those sheet cakes they get for office functions.

Anemic white cake,
Globs of "Crisco frosting" sticking to your teeth...

<rj>

Wayne 28-07-2004 07:35 AM

Favorite Cake

Denise~* > wrote in
:

> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

Cakes definitely take a back seat to pies on my list of favorite desserts,
but I do have a few favorites.

Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (the real thing, not the commercial crap)
Amalgamation Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
Fresh Orange Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
Fresh Lime Cake (my recipe)
Lady Baltimore Cake
Lord Baltimore Cake
My Fruitcake (but that's really another category)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Crookshanks 28-07-2004 07:36 AM

Favorite Cake

TOTALLY! I HATE Crisco frostings! Yeck! Grocery store cakes are an
abomination!!!!

hahabogus 28-07-2004 12:38 PM

Favorite Cake

Wayne > wrote in
:

> Denise~* > wrote in
> :
>
>> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

> Cakes definitely take a back seat to pies on my list of favorite
> desserts, but I do have a few favorites.
>
> Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (the real thing, not the commercial crap)
> Amalgamation Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
> Fresh Orange Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
> Fresh Lime Cake (my recipe)
> Lady Baltimore Cake
> Lord Baltimore Cake
> My Fruitcake (but that's really another category)

So where are the recipes for these? Please share them with us (if not at
least me.)
--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

jmcquown 28-07-2004 11:18 PM

Favorite Cake

Nancy Howells wrote:
> In article >, Denise~*
> > wrote:
>
>> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

> Haven't had cake in a long time, but my favorite is German's chocolate
> cake, with the pecan/coconut icing. Perhaps on my next birthday.

Ah yes! German Chocolate Cake!

Jill

jmcquown 28-07-2004 11:18 PM

Favorite Cake

Curly Sue 28-07-2004 11:44 PM

Favorite Cake

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:27:02 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

>All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

(Italian) rum cake from the Florentine bakery in Utica. My own
homemade version is second because I haven't found a local substitute.

Harvey Wallbanger cake.
Chocolate sour cream cake with chocolate sour cream frosting.

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue 28-07-2004 11:44 PM

Favorite Cake

Felice Friese 29-07-2004 12:20 AM

Favorite Cake: Coconut

Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.

But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

Felice

Melissa Houle 29-07-2004 01:26 AM

Favorite Cake

"Crookshanks" > wrote in message link.net>...
> TOTALLY! I HATE Crisco frostings! Yeck! Grocery store cakes are an
> abomination!!!!
> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
> >
> > I HATE those sheet cakes they get for office functions.
> >
> > Anemic white cake,
> > Globs of "Crisco frosting" sticking to your teeth...
> >
> > <rj>

After a cake decorating session in my High School cooking class when I
learned what that white frosting was actually MADE of, I forswore
bakery white cakes for ever after. UGH!!

However:

Favorite cakes include:

A good German Chocolate cake.

Julia Child's Reine de Saba Chocolate cake in her _Mastering the Art
of French Cooking_. This is a dense, moist, RICH deep chocolate/mocha
almond cake that's to die for.

Julia Child's Biscuit au Buerre from the same cookbook, a good,
simple, all purpose butter sponge cake that has myriad uses. I like to
serve it rather like an enormous strawberry shortcake, with sliced
strawberries and whipped cream.(Other berries and soft fruits are also
very good with this cake.) It's also good with frosting, or with a
dusting of powdered sugar, or just plain with a cup of milk, tea or
coffee.

Bishop's Cake from The Silver Palate Cookbook. A simple, but very good
homemade pound cake that's also good with fruit.

Princess Cake which I get slices of from the local bakery. This is a
layer of custard between two layers of cake with a thin layer of
raspberry jam, and the whole is covered with marzipan. Admittedly,
this is very sweet and rich, and one slice is plenty. If marzipan
isn't your thing(it is mine) you probably wouldn't care for it.

Melissa

T E 29-07-2004 02:16 AM

Favorite Cake

Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 1:27pm (EDT-3) (Denise
Wrote:
All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.
Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has to
have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes. Fillings to
me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on top.
I really like a good white cake with a very rich chocolate frosting. or
a very rich moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.
These are pretty much neck in neck for first.
Second would be a traditional spice cake with cream cheese frosting.
response: german chocolate cake & cheesecake-only from select jewish
deli in my area-

sf 29-07-2004 05:00 AM

Favorite Cake

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:38:51 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Wayne > wrote in
> :
>
> > Denise~* > wrote in
> > :
> >
> >> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

> > Cakes definitely take a back seat to pies on my list of favorite
> > desserts, but I do have a few favorites.
> >
> > Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (the real thing, not the commercial crap)
> > Amalgamation Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
> > Fresh Orange Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
> > Fresh Lime Cake (my recipe)
> > Lady Baltimore Cake
> > Lord Baltimore Cake
> > My Fruitcake (but that's really another category)
> >

> So where are the recipes for these? Please share them with us (if not at
> least me.)

Oh, no you don't get to hog them all!!!!

:)

I will be interested in the fresh orange cake. I made one a
long time ago (I think it was flourless) and didn't like it
- although that was only my opinion. Others liked it.

sf 29-07-2004 05:00 AM

Favorite Cake

sf 29-07-2004 05:00 AM

Favorite Cake

sf 29-07-2004 05:03 AM

Favorite Cake

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:44:00 GMT,
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> (Italian) rum cake from the Florentine bakery in Utic

I'd love it if someone posted a "real" Italian walnut cake.
I've had it once and it was to die for...
btw: it wasn't flourless.

sf 29-07-2004 05:03 AM

Favorite Cake

Wayne 29-07-2004 05:04 AM

Favorite Cake

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> Wayne > wrote in
> :
>
>> Denise~* > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.

>> Cakes definitely take a back seat to pies on my list of favorite
>> desserts, but I do have a few favorites.
>>
>> Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (the real thing, not the commercial crap)
>> Amalgamation Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
>> Fresh Orange Cake (my grandmother's recipe)
>> Fresh Lime Cake (my recipe)
>> Lady Baltimore Cake
>> Lord Baltimore Cake
>> My Fruitcake (but that's really another category)
>>

> So where are the recipes for these? Please share them with us (if not
> at least me.)

I'll be glad to, but it may not be before the weekend as I have to dig
for a couple of them. The next couple of nights are good. I'll gather
them together and post in a batch.

Wayne 29-07-2004 05:04 AM

Favorite Cake

hahabogus > wrote in
:

Wayne 29-07-2004 05:04 AM

Favorite Cake

hahabogus > wrote in
:

sf 29-07-2004 05:28 AM

Favorite Cake: Coconut

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

> Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
> boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
>
> But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

Try googling it under southern cooking.
Post the recipe if you find what you want!

:)

sf 29-07-2004 05:28 AM

Favorite Cake: Coconut

Denise~* 29-07-2004 05:50 AM

Favorite Cake

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:04:05 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>I'll be glad to, but it may not be before the weekend as I have to dig
>for a couple of them. The next couple of nights are good. I'll gather
>them together and post in a batch.

Please do. Most of those I'd never heard of before.

Denise~* 29-07-2004 05:50 AM

Favorite Cake

Wayne 29-07-2004 06:28 AM

Favorite Cake: Coconut

"Felice Friese" > wrote in news:9xWNc.187656$JR4.144345
@attbi_s54:

> Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
> boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
>
> But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.
>
> Felice

Did you need a recipe for the Coconut Cake, Felice? I have one but I'll
have to dig it up. Was my grandmother's.

Wayne 29-07-2004 06:28 AM

Favorite Cake: Coconut