Felice Friese

Default Favorite Cake: Coconut

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Felice Friese" > wrote in news:9xWNc.187656$JR4.144345
> @attbi_s54:
>

> > Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably

> > boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I

will.

> > But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.
> >
> > Felice

> Did you need a recipe for the Coconut Cake, Felice? I have one but I'll
> have to dig it up. Was my grandmother's.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Well, aren't you nice! Actually, I have several cake recipes (including one
that uses cream of coconut, which I must try) but it's the icing that stops
me cold. I've always settled for Irma's basic seven-minute white job, but
I'd love to have someone come in and make me a real boiled icing. Do you
travel?

Felice

Felice Friese

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Felice Friese" > wrote in news:9xWNc.187656$JR4.144345
> @attbi_s54:
>

> > Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably

> > boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I

will.

> > But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.
> >
> > Felice

> Did you need a recipe for the Coconut Cake, Felice? I have one but I'll
> have to dig it up. Was my grandmother's.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Well, aren't you nice! Actually, I have several cake recipes (including one
that uses cream of coconut, which I must try) but it's the icing that stops
me cold. I've always settled for Irma's basic seven-minute white job, but
I'd love to have someone come in and make me a real boiled icing. Do you
travel?

Felice

Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
wrote:

>Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
>boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
>
>But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb Schaller
with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes like whipped
cream!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy White Frosting

Recipe By : Gail )
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : frostings/fillings

1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
and sugar.
2. Add egg white and beat well.
3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.

NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.

Carol
Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
>boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
>
>But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb Schaller
with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes like whipped
cream!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy White Frosting

Recipe By : Gail )
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : frostings/fillings

1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
and sugar.
2. Add egg white and beat well.
3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.

NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.

Carol
Felice Friese

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
> >boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
> >
> >But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

> This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb Schaller
> with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes like whipped
> cream!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamy White Frosting
>
> Recipe By : Gail )
> Categories : frostings/fillings

> 1 stick butter
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
> 2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> 1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
> and sugar.
> 2. Add egg white and beat well.
> 3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.
>
> NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.
>
> Carol

Oh, thanks, Carol! I think the egg white is the trick, isn't it? Anyhow, if
it's good enough to be served to Barb it's good enough for li'l ole me.

Felice

Felice Friese

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
> >boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
> >
> >But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

> This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb Schaller
> with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes like whipped
> cream!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamy White Frosting
>
> Recipe By : Gail )
> Categories : frostings/fillings

> 1 stick butter
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
> 2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> 1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
> and sugar.
> 2. Add egg white and beat well.
> 3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.
>
> NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.
>
> Carol

Oh, thanks, Carol! I think the egg white is the trick, isn't it? Anyhow, if
it's good enough to be served to Barb it's good enough for li'l ole me.

Felice

Felice Friese

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing, preferably a
> >boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I will.
> >
> >But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

> This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb Schaller
> with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes like whipped
> cream!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamy White Frosting
>
> Recipe By : Gail )
> Categories : frostings/fillings

> 1 stick butter
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
> 2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> 1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
> and sugar.
> 2. Add egg white and beat well.
> 3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.
>
> NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.
>
> Carol

Oh, thanks, Carol! I think the egg white is the trick, isn't it? Anyhow, if
it's good enough to be served to Barb it's good enough for li'l ole me.

Felice

Wayne

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing,
>>preferably a boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make
>>it? OK, I will.
>>
>>But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

> This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb
> Schaller with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes
> like whipped cream!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamy White Frosting
>
> Recipe By : Gail )
> Categories : frostings/fillings

> 1 stick butter
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
> 2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> 1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
> and sugar.
> 2. Add egg white and beat well.
> 3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.
>
> NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.
>
> Carol

I'll vouch for that, too, Carol. Somewhere along the line I got the
recipe. I've made it many times and everyone loves it!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:20:37 GMT, "Felice Friese" >
> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing,
>>preferably a boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make
>>it? OK, I will.
>>
>>But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.

> This stuff is phenomenal. We brought a birthday cake for Barb
> Schaller with this frosting on it to a Minneapolis cook-in. Tastes
> like whipped cream!
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Creamy White Frosting
>
> Recipe By : Gail )
> Categories : frostings/fillings

> 1 stick butter
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 pasteurized egg white -- beaten foamy
> 2/3 cup skim milk -- lukewarm
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> 1. With electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening,
> and sugar.
> 2. Add egg white and beat well.
> 3. Add milk and vanilla; beat for 10 minutes.
>
> NOTES : Frosts: 2 - 9" layers or 1 -13x9" oblong.
>
> Carol

I'll vouch for that, too, Carol. Somewhere along the line I got the
recipe. I've made it many times and everyone loves it!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

"Felice Friese" > wrote in

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Felice Friese" > wrote in
>> news:9xWNc.187656$JR4.144345 @attbi_s54:
>>

>> > Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing,
>> > preferably

>> > boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I

> will.
>> >
>> > But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.
>> >
>> > Felice

>> Did you need a recipe for the Coconut Cake, Felice? I have one but
>> I'll have to dig it up. Was my grandmother's.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix
>>
>> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

> Well, aren't you nice! Actually, I have several cake recipes
> (including one that uses cream of coconut, which I must try) but it's
> the icing that stops me cold. I've always settled for Irma's basic
> seven-minute white job, but I'd love to have someone come in and make
> me a real boiled icing. Do you travel?
>
> Felice

How far do you live from Phoenix? <g> I guess I missed your emphasis on
boiled frosting. The following is one my grandmother used to make (she
was born in 1895). She never used it for her coconut cake, but would use
it on devil's food or applesauce stack cake.

Boiled Frosting

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
yellow food coloring if desired.

Stir sugar and water until dissolved, boil until thread stage. Beat egg
whites until stiff. Very slowly pour hot mixture into stiff egg whites,
beating constantly. Add flavoring.

Note: "Thread Stage" is 246 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

"Felice Friese" > wrote in

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Felice Friese" > wrote in
>> news:9xWNc.187656$JR4.144345 @attbi_s54:
>>

>> > Has anyone nominated a white coconut cake? With white icing,
>> > preferably

>> > boiled icing if there's anyone left who knows how to make it? OK, I

> will.
>> >
>> > But I want a real icing and not the cream cheese stuff.
>> >
>> > Felice

>> Did you need a recipe for the Coconut Cake, Felice? I have one but
>> I'll have to dig it up. Was my grandmother's.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix
>>
>> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

> Well, aren't you nice! Actually, I have several cake recipes
> (including one that uses cream of coconut, which I must try) but it's
> the icing that stops me cold. I've always settled for Irma's basic
> seven-minute white job, but I'd love to have someone come in and make
> me a real boiled icing. Do you travel?
>
> Felice

How far do you live from Phoenix? <g> I guess I missed your emphasis on
boiled frosting. The following is one my grandmother used to make (she
was born in 1895). She never used it for her coconut cake, but would use
it on devil's food or applesauce stack cake.

Boiled Frosting

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
yellow food coloring if desired.

Stir sugar and water until dissolved, boil until thread stage. Beat egg
whites until stiff. Very slowly pour hot mixture into stiff egg whites,
beating constantly. Add flavoring.

Note: "Thread Stage" is 246 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
hahabogus

Default Favorite Cake

(-L. wrote in
om:

> sf > wrote in message
> >. ..
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:44:00 GMT,

>> (Curly Sue) wrote:
>>
>> > (Italian) rum cake from the Florentine bakery in Utic

>> I'd love it if someone posted a "real" Italian walnut cake.
>> I've had it once and it was to die for...
>> btw: it wasn't flourless.
>>

>> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> Was it walnuts and coconut? I have yet to find a recipe that
> approximates an Italian Cream Cake (someone called it an Italian
> wedding cake) I had at a funeral once - it was absolutely devine and
> to-die-for. Unfortunately I had no way of getting the recipe at the
> time.
>
> -L.

Wedding Cake (Torta Nuziale)
p. 298-300 Celebrations Italian Style

* 2 cups buttermilk
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
* ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
* 3 cups sugar
* 10 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
* 2 tablespoons almond extract
* ½ cup finely ground hazelnuts
* ½ cup finely ground walnuts
* 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut

Frosting

* 1 pound unsalted butter, softened
* ¾ mascarpone (or good-quality cream cheese, softened)
* 12 to 13 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
* 2½ tablespoons rum or almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 12 by 12 by 3-inch cake pan.
Combine the buttermilk and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.

Sift the flour and salt onto wax paper.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening, and
sugar until well blended. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, making sure
that each one is well incorporated before adding the next. Beat in the
almond extract. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk
mixture, blending well. Stir in the nuts and coconut.

In another bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff but
not dry. With a large spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour
the batter into the pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester
inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool the cake completely in the pan on a cooling rack. (At this point, the
cake can be wrapped in heavy freezer paper, then in aluminum foil, and
frozen for up to 1 month. It can be frosted still-frozen.)

In a heavy-duty mixer or a food processor, beat or process the butter and
cheese until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar a cupful at a time,
beating or processing to achieve a frosting that is easily spreadable but
firm enough to pipe through a pastry bag. Add the extract. (The frosting
can be made up to 3 days ahead. Store in an airtight container in the
refrigerator. Let come to room temperature before using.)

When ready to frost the cake, assemble a cake frosting knife, or icing
spatula, a rubber spatula, and a pastry bag and assorted tips. Prepare a
bowl of ice water.

Using a pastry brush, gently brush any loose crumbs from the top and sides
of the cake. Spread a small amount of the frosting on the cake platter or
board to help anchor the cake and prevent it from shifting. Carefully
position the cake on the platter or board. Slip a border of wax paper
around the bottom edges of the cake to keep the platter or board clean.

Apply a base coat of frosting to the cake, covering the top first then the
sides. Dip the frosting knife in the ice water frequently and wipe clean to
help keep the frosting smooth as it is spread and to prevent loose crumbs
from making unsightly flecks in the frosting.

Using the pastry bag and an assortment of decorative tips, pipe the
frosting to make a design on the cake: swags, swirls, a basket-weave
design, columns, free-form designs, or whatever you desire. Finish with a
decorative border around the bottom of the cake. Carefully pull away the
wax paper. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.

To give the cake a final elegant touch, place a small spray of fresh
flowers on the top.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

(-L. wrote in
om:

> [...]

Apply a base coat of frosting to the cake, covering the top first then the
sides. Dip the frosting knife in the ice water frequently and wipe clean to
help keep the frosting smooth as it is spread and to prevent loose crumbs
from making unsightly flecks in the frosting.

Using the pastry bag and an assortment of decorative tips, pipe the
frosting to make a design on the cake: swags, swirls, a basket-weave
design, columns, free-form designs, or whatever you desire. Finish with a
decorative border around the bottom of the cake. Carefully pull away the
wax paper. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.

To give the cake a final elegant touch, place a small spray of fresh
flowers on the top.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
Orion

Denise~* > wrote in message >. ..
> All this talk about Pies, made me think about Cake.
>
> Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has
> to have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes.
> Fillings to me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on
> top.
>
> I really like a good white cake with a very rich chocolate frosting.
> or a very rich moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.
>
> These are pretty much neck in neck for first.
>
> Second would be a traditional spice cake with cream cheese frosting.
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)
>
> A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
> A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
> "Damn...that was fun!"

Hard call here too. Tiramissu is one of my favorites. Black forest
cake is another. I like whipped cream type cakes. I also like
vanilla pound cake, but with that it is a matter of what goes on top.
Fruit and whipped cream. Hot fudge and whipped cream or vanilla ice
cream. Would trifle count as a cake? I love trifle.

Suzan

Curly Sue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:09:25 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Ah well. It was the only recipe I had that was an Italian cake with
>walnuts in it, other than a variant panforte di Siena (walnuts along
>with the hazelnuts and almonds) Good luck!

Oooo, could you post that one? I love panforte and hadn't previously
considered making it.

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>Ah well. It was the only recipe I had that was an Italian cake with
>walnuts in it, other than a variant panforte di Siena (walnuts along
>with the hazelnuts and almonds) Good luck!

Oooo, could you post that one? I love panforte and hadn't previously
considered making it.

Sue(tm)
TammyM

sf > wrote:
: I'd love it if someone posted a "real" Italian walnut cake.
: I've had it once and it was to die for...
: btw: it wasn't flourless.

I'm pretty sure I had a bit of one of these at Iain Liddell's
house years and years ago. I seem to remember that this
particular version had some type of cornmeal in it. It
wasn't very sweet and was quite dense. I don't recall
any candied fruit or other such disgusting things in it.
I'll see if I can get that recipe from him and Mary.
Even if it's not the one you want, it's quite wonderful
in its own right.

Tammy

Arri London

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:09:25 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Ah well. It was the only recipe I had that was an Italian cake with
> >walnuts in it, other than a variant panforte di Siena (walnuts along
> >with the hazelnuts and almonds) Good luck!

> Oooo, could you post that one? I love panforte and hadn't previously
> considered making it.
>
> Sue(tm)

This was given to me by an excellent baker. Sorry it's only in metric
though!Apparently she set out to make a traditional panforte and didn't
have enough almonds and hazelnuts.

Panforte
Serves 6

180 g chopped toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds (in any proportion)
180 g chopped mixed peel
180 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 tbs mixed spice (nutmeg, cloves, anise, cinnamon etc) etc [This is
sold in the UK as mixed spice]
270 g honey (runny or solid)
1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with about a tablespoon of flour.

Preheat oven to 180 C (about 350 F)
Line a cake tin (28 cm) with buttered parchment paper.

Mix the flour, peel, spices and nuts in a large bowl. Heat the honey
over a low fire and cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly. Mix
the honey into the flour mixture thoroughly. Gather the mix into a ball
and flatten in the cake tin.
Sieve the flour/cinnamon mix evenly over the top of the cake. Bake for
40 minutes.
Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight
container.
unsalted butter
Curly Sue

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:36:45 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>This was given to me by an excellent baker. Sorry it's only in metric
>though!Apparently she set out to make a traditional panforte and didn't
>have enough almonds and hazelnuts.
>
>Panforte
>Serves 6
>
>180 g chopped toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds (in any proportion)
>180 g chopped mixed peel

Would this be candied peel?

>180 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
>1 tbs mixed spice (nutmeg, cloves, anise, cinnamon etc) etc [This is
>sold in the UK as mixed spice]
>270 g honey (runny or solid)

Hmmm, a good use for crystalized honey.

>1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with about a tablespoon of flour.
>
>Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight
>container.
>unsalted butter

"unsalted butter" is out of place- I assume this is the butter for the
parchment paper?

Thanks for the recipe. It looks really easy and I have a
vacuum-packed specimen with which to calibrate my efforts :>

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>This was given to me by an excellent baker. Sorry it's only in metric
>though!Apparently she set out to make a traditional panforte and didn't
>have enough almonds and hazelnuts.
>
>Panforte
>Serves 6
>
>180 g chopped toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds (in any proportion)
>180 g chopped mixed peel

Would this be candied peel?

>180 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
>1 tbs mixed spice (nutmeg, cloves, anise, cinnamon etc) etc [This is
>sold in the UK as mixed spice]
>270 g honey (runny or solid)

Hmmm, a good use for crystalized honey.

>1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with about a tablespoon of flour.
>
>Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight
>container.
>unsalted butter

"unsalted butter" is out of place- I assume this is the butter for the
parchment paper?

Thanks for the recipe. It looks really easy and I have a
vacuum-packed specimen with which to calibrate my efforts :>

Sue(tm)

Arri London

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:36:45 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >This was given to me by an excellent baker. Sorry it's only in metric
> >though!Apparently she set out to make a traditional panforte and didn't
> >have enough almonds and hazelnuts.
> >
> >Panforte
> >Serves 6
> >
> >180 g chopped toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds (in any proportion)
> >180 g chopped mixed peel

> Would this be candied peel?

Yes.

> >180 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
> >1 tbs mixed spice (nutmeg, cloves, anise, cinnamon etc) etc [This is
> >sold in the UK as mixed spice]
> >270 g honey (runny or solid)

> Hmmm, a good use for crystalized honey.

Yes, of course. Solid honey is the default in UK markets, although runny
honey is readily available. It gets melted anyway.

> >1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with about a tablespoon of flour.
> >
> >Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight
> >container.
> >unsalted butter

> "unsalted butter" is out of place- I assume this is the butter for the
> parchment paper?

Is it? Sorry then.

> Thanks for the recipe. It looks really easy and I have a
> vacuum-packed specimen with which to calibrate my efforts :>
>
> Sue(tm)

Good luck. It won't taste the same of course. Think the 'serves 6' is
being generous. It needs to be eaten in very small portions.
Arri London

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:36:45 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >This was given to me by an excellent baker. Sorry it's only in metric
> >though!Apparently she set out to make a traditional panforte and didn't
> >have enough almonds and hazelnuts.
> >
> >Panforte
> >Serves 6
> >
> >180 g chopped toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds (in any proportion)
> >180 g chopped mixed peel

> Would this be candied peel?

Yes.

> >180 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
> >1 tbs mixed spice (nutmeg, cloves, anise, cinnamon etc) etc [This is
> >sold in the UK as mixed spice]
> >270 g honey (runny or solid)

> Hmmm, a good use for crystalized honey.

Yes, of course. Solid honey is the default in UK markets, although runny
honey is readily available. It gets melted anyway.

> >1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with about a tablespoon of flour.
> >
> >Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight
> >container.
> >unsalted butter

> "unsalted butter" is out of place- I assume this is the butter for the
> parchment paper?

Is it? Sorry then.

> Thanks for the recipe. It looks really easy and I have a
> vacuum-packed specimen with which to calibrate my efforts :>
>
> Sue(tm)

Good luck. It won't taste the same of course. Think the 'serves 6' is
being generous. It needs to be eaten in very small portions.
Arri London

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:36:45 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >This was given to me by an excellent baker. Sorry it's only in metric
> >though!Apparently she set out to make a traditional panforte and didn't
> >have enough almonds and hazelnuts.
> >
> >Panforte
> >Serves 6
> >
> >180 g chopped toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds (in any proportion)
> >180 g chopped mixed peel

> Would this be candied peel?

Yes.

> >180 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
> >1 tbs mixed spice (nutmeg, cloves, anise, cinnamon etc) etc [This is
> >sold in the UK as mixed spice]
> >270 g honey (runny or solid)

> Hmmm, a good use for crystalized honey.

Yes, of course. Solid honey is the default in UK markets, although runny
honey is readily available. It gets melted anyway.

> >1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with about a tablespoon of flour.
> >
> >Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight
> >container.
> >unsalted butter

> "unsalted butter" is out of place- I assume this is the butter for the
> parchment paper?

Is it? Sorry then.

> Thanks for the recipe. It looks really easy and I have a
> vacuum-packed specimen with which to calibrate my efforts :>
>
> Sue(tm)

Good luck. It won't taste the same of course. Think the 'serves 6' is
being generous. It needs to be eaten in very small portions.
-L. :

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .

> [...]
> position the cake on the platter or board. Slip a border of wax paper
> around the bottom edges of the cake to keep the platter or board clean.
>
> Apply a base coat of frosting to the cake, covering the top first then the
> sides. Dip the frosting knife in the ice water frequently and wipe clean to
> help keep the frosting smooth as it is spread and to prevent loose crumbs
> from making unsightly flecks in the frosting.
>
> Using the pastry bag and an assortment of decorative tips, pipe the
> frosting to make a design on the cake: swags, swirls, a basket-weave
> design, columns, free-form designs, or whatever you desire. Finish with a
> decorative border around the bottom of the cake. Carefully pull away the
> wax paper. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.
>
> To give the cake a final elegant touch, place a small spray of fresh

Thanks! I think that's it!

-L.
-L. :

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .

> [...]
> position the cake on the platter or board. Slip a border of wax paper
> around the bottom edges of the cake to keep the platter or board clean.
>
> Apply a base coat of frosting to the cake, covering the top first then the
> sides. Dip the frosting knife in the ice water frequently and wipe clean to
> help keep the frosting smooth as it is spread and to prevent loose crumbs
> from making unsightly flecks in the frosting.
>
> Using the pastry bag and an assortment of decorative tips, pipe the
> frosting to make a design on the cake: swags, swirls, a basket-weave
> design, columns, free-form designs, or whatever you desire. Finish with a
> decorative border around the bottom of the cake. Carefully pull away the
> wax paper. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.
>
> To give the cake a final elegant touch, place a small spray of fresh

Thanks! I think that's it!

-L.

Ranee Mueller

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has
> to have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes.
> Fillings to me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on
> top.

I love homemade frosting, I'm not so keen on store stuff.

I have 3 favorite cakes:

A flourless chocolate cake recipe from Classic Home Desserts with
whipped cream

The glazed lemon cake from the Silver Palate

Carrot Cake of my own invention with cream cheese frosting

I also like plain old chocolate cake, cheesecakes, and
lemon-blueberry pound cake. There is hardly a cake I won't eat, though
I'm not fond of angel food cake.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has
> to have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes.
> Fillings to me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on
> top.

I love homemade frosting, I'm not so keen on store stuff.

I have 3 favorite cakes:

A flourless chocolate cake recipe from Classic Home Desserts with
whipped cream

The glazed lemon cake from the Silver Palate

Carrot Cake of my own invention with cream cheese frosting

I also like plain old chocolate cake, cheesecakes, and
lemon-blueberry pound cake. There is hardly a cake I won't eat, though
I'm not fond of angel food cake.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> Weirdly enough, I like cake better than frosting, but cake still has
> to have frosting. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cakes.
> Fillings to me are not neccessary, just use frosting that was used on
> top.

I love homemade frosting, I'm not so keen on store stuff.

I have 3 favorite cakes:

A flourless chocolate cake recipe from Classic Home Desserts with
whipped cream

The glazed lemon cake from the Silver Palate

Carrot Cake of my own invention with cream cheese frosting

I also like plain old chocolate cake, cheesecakes, and
lemon-blueberry pound cake. There is hardly a cake I won't eat, though
I'm not fond of angel food cake.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Favorite cake roy55kat General Cooking 31 05-12-2011 09:27 AM
Favorite Cake katreen Recipes 0 30-04-2009 02:01 AM
Favorite Strawberry Cake International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 05-06-2008 03:18 AM
What's your favorite cake & icing? Giggles Baking 6 05-10-2005 11:09 AM
What's your favorite cake & icing? Giggles General Cooking 21 05-10-2005 03:38 AM