FoodBanter.com

-   -   Quinoa (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/2914-quinoa.html)

Jarkat2002 19-12-2003 07:48 PM

Quinoa

I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I
have never heard of this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in
my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's considered a grain, some sites say
yes, some say no.
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I substitute barley instead? Or rice?
Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it to the soup?
The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked.
Thank you!
~Kat

"I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I
were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified
and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

C. James Strutz 19-12-2003 07:58 PM

Quinoa

"Jarkat2002" > wrote in message
> I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa.

> have never heard of this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have

it in
> my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's considered a grain, some sites

say
> yes, some say no.
> The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I substitute barley instead? Or

rice?
> Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it to the

soup?
> The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked.
> Thank you!

Oh man, quinoa is great! See if you can find it at your local grocery store
(it is in mine). The thing with quinoa is you have to rince it before
cooking it. There is a bitter substance on the surface that is thought to be
produced by the grain (yes, it is a grain) to protect it from insects. Once
you rince it it is fine. Also, quinoa is one of the ancient grains and
contains all the essential amino acids. Therefore it is considered a
complete protein.

axlq in California 19-12-2003 08:27 PM

Quinoa

In article >,
Jarkat2002 > wrote:
>I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I
>have never heard of this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in
>my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's considered a grain, some sites say
>yes, some say no.

If you have a Whole Foods Market or any natural food store that
sells stuff in bulk, you are likely to find it there. I like
quinoa. It has a nice mouth feel, much firmer than rice or barley.

>The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I substitute barley instead? Or rice?
>Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it to the soup?
>The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked.

You would use it the same way you'd use rice. If you would pre-cook
rice, then you should pre-cook the quinoa. And rinse it (it has a
slightly bitter flavor on the surface) after cooking.

You could also substitute couscous.

-A

Jarkat2002 19-12-2003 08:38 PM

Quinoa

>You could also substitute couscous.
>
>-A

ahhh ... thank you ... couscous I have! :D

Jarkat2002 19-12-2003 08:38 PM

Quinoa

>Oh man, quinoa is great! See if you can find it at your local grocery store
>(it is in mine). The thing with quinoa is you have to rince it before
>cooking it. There is a bitter substance on the surface that is thought to be
>produced by the grain (yes, it is a grain) to protect it from insects. Once
>you rince it it is fine. Also, quinoa is one of the ancient grains and
>contains all the essential amino acids. Therefore it is considered a
>complete protein.

I'll get some on my next food co-op trip!

Julia Altshuler 19-12-2003 10:51 PM

Quinoa

If you're going for the authentic Peruvian dish, try to find quinoa.

It is pronounced keen-wa.

If you're going to get technical botanically, quinoa isn't a grain in
that it isn't in the grass family and doesn't have the same sorts of
leaves or seeds that grass has. Other than that, it cooks like a grain,
looks like a grain, has the nutritional components of a grain and is
found in the grain section of the store. I call it a grain, and no one
corrects me.

Look for quinoa in health food stores.

Rinse the quinoa first. Put it in a sauce pan with 3 times as much
water. Cover. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15
minutes. Lift cover and have a look (and taste). Sometimes it needs a
tad more water or a few more minutes to cook through. In other words,
cook it like rice.

You could substitute cracked wheat (my first choice) or cous cous or
kasha or short grain brown rice (my second choice). Barley would be too
soft.

Quinoa is a favorite of mine. In fact, my substitutions usually go the
other way around. The recipe will call for cous cous or cracked wheat,
and I use quinoa instead. I make quinoa tabouli now without thinking
that the recipe originally called for cracked wheat.

--Lia

cynthia mason 20-12-2003 12:21 AM

Quinoa

Could you cook it in a rice cooker?

Ken 20-12-2003 01:55 AM

Quinoa

owza (Jarkat2002) wrote in message >...
> I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I
> have never heard of this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in
> my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's considered a grain, some sites say
> yes, some say no.
> The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I substitute barley instead? Or rice?
> Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it to the soup?
> The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked.

Kat,

Some things to consider:

1. Quinoa has a very distinctive taste and very strong taste for a
grain. You can substitute all you want, but it will taste different.
Not bad or good, but different. The taste of quinoa can actually
overpower other tastes. If I was to guess what to substitute, it
would be wild rice. Maybe brown rice. (See #2 below.)

2. Quinoa cooks fairly quickly and barley cooks slowly. Keep this in
mind when trying to substitute an uncooked grain.

3. I don't believe Quinoa expands as much as barley or even rice when
cooked. This is hard to estimate because quinoa is a very small,
round seed. So even if it expanded 100%, it would be hard to see.
(The grain to water ratio is the standard 2:1, so it has to expand
when it soaks up the water.)

If you really want to follow the original recipe, I'd try to locate
quinoa at health food type stores or on line.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Jarkat2002 20-12-2003 06:05 AM

Quinoa

>Kat,
>
>Some things to consider:
>
>1. Quinoa has a very distinctive taste and very strong taste for a
>grain. You can substitute all you want, but it will taste different.
>Not bad or good, but different. The taste of quinoa can actually
>overpower other tastes. If I was to guess what to substitute, it
>would be wild rice. Maybe brown rice. (See #2 below.)
>
>2. Quinoa cooks fairly quickly and barley cooks slowly. Keep this in
>mind when trying to substitute an uncooked grain.
>
>3. I don't believe Quinoa expands as much as barley or even rice when
>cooked. This is hard to estimate because quinoa is a very small,
>round seed. So even if it expanded 100%, it would be hard to see.
>(The grain to water ratio is the standard 2:1, so it has to expand
>when it soaks up the water.)
>
>If you really want to follow the original recipe, I'd try to locate
>quinoa at health food type stores or on line.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Ken

Thank you for all of the great information ... I can't wait to give quinoa a
try :)

Ken 20-12-2003 05:06 PM

Quinoa

> >Hope this helps,
> >
> >Ken
> >

> Thank you for all of the great information ... I can't wait to give quinoa a
> try :)
> ~Kat

Kat,

One of my pet peeves is when people ask for advice/help on a n.g., get
many replies, and never do a quick "thank you" reply back.

Well, thank you for saying thank you.

As I said before, if you put quinoa (pronounced keenwa) in a soup or
stew to thicken it, you'll definitely taste it. It's not a neutral
taste like couscous or white rice. (Flame away all you couscous and
white rice lovers, but try quinoa and you'll know what I mean.)

Ken

Jay 20-12-2003 06:18 PM

Quinoa

"cynthia mason" > wrote in message
> Could you cook it in a rice cooker?

I have many times. Seems to work fine for me.

-Jay

--

"[Robert Smith's] music makes you cry, even if you haven't broken up with
your girlfriend or ran over a kitty in the road and deep fried it in your