Gregory Morrow

Default IN PRAISE OF THE ELECTRIC STOVE

Nancy Young wrote:

> Wayne wrote:
> >
> > "Pennyaline" > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > I've been here for more than one of these discussions now and have
> > > read the arguments, and I have to say I still don't see why anyone
> > > would want an electric stove.
> > >

> > I couldn't disagree more and ne're the 'tween shall meet. You and I are
> > the reason they sell both types.

> Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
>
> Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
the electric stove....

Of course I came from an area that was pretty much a culinary wasteland even
then, so no one really gave any thought to the gas vs. electric debate...if
an appliance was electric it was considered modern, and that was that!
Everything was cooked to death anyways, so the nuances of gas vs. electric
stoves was a moot point in any case.

There was a big push for "All Electric" kitchens by the electric utilities
back then who were somewhat in cahoots with the appliance manufacturers...it
was The Next Big Modern Thing. It was a big deal when the farm wife was
able to dry her clothes in an electric dryer instead of on an outside
laundry line....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Nancy Young wrote:

> Wayne wrote:
> >
> > "Pennyaline" > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > I've been here for more than one of these discussions now and have
> > > read the arguments, and I have to say I still don't see why anyone
> > > would want an electric stove.
> > >

> > I couldn't disagree more and ne're the 'tween shall meet. You and I are
> > the reason they sell both types.

> Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
>
> Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
the electric stove....

Of course I came from an area that was pretty much a culinary wasteland even
then, so no one really gave any thought to the gas vs. electric debate...if
an appliance was electric it was considered modern, and that was that!
Everything was cooked to death anyways, so the nuances of gas vs. electric
stoves was a moot point in any case.

There was a big push for "All Electric" kitchens by the electric utilities
back then who were somewhat in cahoots with the appliance manufacturers...it
was The Next Big Modern Thing. It was a big deal when the farm wife was
able to dry her clothes in an electric dryer instead of on an outside
laundry line....

--
Best
Greg

Nancy Young

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
> >
> > Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

> When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
> considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
> lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
> improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
> the electric stove....

Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
for an electric dryer? Got me.

So, I signed up for time of day electric. Cheaper by half after 8pm
or on weekends. Electricity is SO EXPENSIVE compared to gas. Just
one more reason to choose gas. People in one particulary bad winter
were being hit with 3-400 dollar bills. Not me. I done got me a
gas dryer. Now I dry my laundry any time I wish.

nancy
PENMART01

>Nancy Young qwerty writes:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>>Nancy Young <qwerty wrote:

>> >Mine tells the temp. Gas oven, that is.

>> You can set your oven for 350, and it'll show when it's 265, 310, etc.?

>Yes, exactly. But it doesn't beep when it's ready. You just look.

My GE Profile gas stove beeps when the oven reaches the set temp... of course
it takes only about 7 minutes to reach 375F so don't engage in any activity
that takes more than a couple minutes. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
>>>
>>>Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

>>When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
>>considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
>>lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
>>improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
>>the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

IMHO it's easier to run a 240V dryer circuit than a gas line. Our house
has all gas appliances except for the clothes dryer; that's the way it
came when we bought it, and DW doesn't like gas dryers for some reason
so I haven't changed it.

The clothes dryer sure works a lot better since we bought a front-
hard; the clothes come out of the washer damp instead of wet. The dryer
was 10 years old when we bought it 12 years ago, and it should last
another 20 if the timer doesn't go out.

Bob <-- doesn't care if the washer and dryer don't match, they're both
white.
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
>>>
>>>Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

>>When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
>>considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
>>lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
>>improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
>>the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

IMHO it's easier to run a 240V dryer circuit than a gas line. Our house
has all gas appliances except for the clothes dryer; that's the way it
came when we bought it, and DW doesn't like gas dryers for some reason
so I haven't changed it.

The clothes dryer sure works a lot better since we bought a front-
hard; the clothes come out of the washer damp instead of wet. The dryer
was 10 years old when we bought it 12 years ago, and it should last
another 20 if the timer doesn't go out.

Bob <-- doesn't care if the washer and dryer don't match, they're both
white.
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
>>>
>>>Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

>>When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
>>considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
>>lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
>>improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
>>the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

IMHO it's easier to run a 240V dryer circuit than a gas line. Our house
has all gas appliances except for the clothes dryer; that's the way it
came when we bought it, and DW doesn't like gas dryers for some reason
so I haven't changed it.

The clothes dryer sure works a lot better since we bought a front-
hard; the clothes come out of the washer damp instead of wet. The dryer
was 10 years old when we bought it 12 years ago, and it should last
another 20 if the timer doesn't go out.

Bob <-- doesn't care if the washer and dryer don't match, they're both
white.
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> > gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> > dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> > for an electric dryer? Got me.

> IMHO it's easier to run a 240V dryer circuit than a gas line.

Oh, it hardly cost a cent, the drier was only a few feet from the
gas furnace.

My old electric dryer worked fine except for one thing. It didn't
have a shut off feature. I'm not saying that has anything to do with
gas or electric, but when I chose to get a new one, I went with gas.

> The clothes dryer sure works a lot better since we bought a front-
> hard; the clothes come out of the washer damp instead of wet.

I'd like a front loader, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend
the extra bucks.

> The dryer
> was 10 years old when we bought it 12 years ago, and it should last
> another 20 if the timer doesn't go out.

Yeah, the dryer worked okay when I got rid of it, I was just tired of
timing when to do laundry.

> Bob <-- doesn't care if the washer and dryer don't match, they're both
> white.

I couldn't care less if they match, color or not.

nancy (annoyed that when I arrange the utility room, *someone* makes
a friggin mess out of it.)

PENMART01

>I'd like a front loader, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend
>the extra bucks.
>
>nancy

I remember front loaders from long ago (my grandmotehr had two, and a mangle,
she sold the kosher deli in Brooklyn and retired to run a tourist home in the
borscht belt, now they call them B & Bs - hoo-ha) once you shut the door and
began the cycle that was it, you couldn't open it again to toss in those
stinkin' towels you forgot about in the upstairs terlit... I'm forever tossing
something in while the machine is still in the wash cycle. I still remember
all those times long ago when I washed clothes at the laundromat and the door
on one of the Bendix front loaders would pop open mid cycle, seemingly for no
reason at all... what a friggin' mess... but at least at the laundromat the
flood was squeegied down the floor drain... I don't want to think about that
with my brand new cherry floor. Unless technology has changed drasticly I
don't want a front loader. I especially wouldn't pay more for one, I think
they actually cost less to manufacture than a top loader... in fact now that I
recall the Sears Roebuck displays from the 50s the automatic top loaders cost
more than front loaders, and every house wife wanted an automatic top loader
(the previous top loaders were manual, even had wringers). Today's front
loaders cost so much more... like they were just invented... what rip off.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

>>I'd like a front loader, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend
>>the extra bucks.
>>
>>nancy

> I remember front loaders from long ago (my grandmotehr had two, and a mangle,
> she sold the kosher deli in Brooklyn and retired to run a tourist home in the
> borscht belt, now they call them B & Bs - hoo-ha) once you shut the door and
> began the cycle that was it, you couldn't open it again to toss in those
> stinkin' towels you forgot about in the upstairs terlit... I'm forever tossing
> something in while the machine is still in the wash cycle. I still remember
> all those times long ago when I washed clothes at the laundromat and the door
> on one of the Bendix front loaders would pop open mid cycle, seemingly for no
> reason at all... what a friggin' mess... but at least at the laundromat the
> flood was squeegied down the floor drain... I don't want to think about that
> with my brand new cherry floor. Unless technology has changed drasticly I
> don't want a front loader. I especially wouldn't pay more for one, I think
> they actually cost less to manufacture than a top loader... in fact now that I
> recall the Sears Roebuck displays from the 50s the automatic top loaders cost
> more than front loaders, and every house wife wanted an automatic top loader
> (the previous top loaders were manual, even had wringers). Today's front
> loaders cost so much more... like they were just invented... what rip off.

You can stop mine (Frigidaire, a.k.a. White-Westinghouse or Gibson or
Electrolux) to toss in that leftover sock or whatever, you just push in
the control/timer dial to stop it and it unlocks the door.

Bob
zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

>>I'd like a front loader, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend
>>the extra bucks.
>>
>>nancy

> I remember front loaders from long ago (my grandmotehr had two, and a mangle,
> she sold the kosher deli in Brooklyn and retired to run a tourist home in the
> borscht belt, now they call them B & Bs - hoo-ha) once you shut the door and
> began the cycle that was it, you couldn't open it again to toss in those
> stinkin' towels you forgot about in the upstairs terlit... I'm forever tossing
> something in while the machine is still in the wash cycle. I still remember
> all those times long ago when I washed clothes at the laundromat and the door
> on one of the Bendix front loaders would pop open mid cycle, seemingly for no
> reason at all... what a friggin' mess... but at least at the laundromat the
> flood was squeegied down the floor drain... I don't want to think about that
> with my brand new cherry floor. Unless technology has changed drasticly I
> don't want a front loader. I especially wouldn't pay more for one, I think
> they actually cost less to manufacture than a top loader... in fact now that I
> recall the Sears Roebuck displays from the 50s the automatic top loaders cost
> more than front loaders, and every house wife wanted an automatic top loader
> (the previous top loaders were manual, even had wringers). Today's front
> loaders cost so much more... like they were just invented... what rip off.

You can stop mine (Frigidaire, a.k.a. White-Westinghouse or Gibson or
Electrolux) to toss in that leftover sock or whatever, you just push in
the control/timer dial to stop it and it unlocks the door.

Bob
hahabogus

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
>>>I'd like a front loader, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend
>>>the extra bucks.
>>>
>>>nancy

>> I remember front loaders from long ago (my grandmotehr had two, and a
>> mangle, she sold the kosher deli in Brooklyn and retired to run a
>> tourist home in the borscht belt, now they call them B & Bs - hoo-ha)
>> once you shut the door and began the cycle that was it, you couldn't
>> open it again to toss in those stinkin' towels you forgot about in
>> the upstairs terlit... I'm forever tossing something in while the
>> machine is still in the wash cycle. I still remember all those times
>> long ago when I washed clothes at the laundromat and the door on one
>> of the Bendix front loaders would pop open mid cycle, seemingly for
>> no reason at all... what a friggin' mess... but at least at the
>> laundromat the flood was squeegied down the floor drain... I don't
>> want to think about that with my brand new cherry floor. Unless
>> technology has changed drasticly I don't want a front loader. I
>> especially wouldn't pay more for one, I think they actually cost less
>> to manufacture than a top loader... in fact now that I recall the
>> Sears Roebuck displays from the 50s the automatic top loaders cost
>> more than front loaders, and every house wife wanted an automatic top
>> loader (the previous top loaders were manual, even had wringers).
>> Today's front loaders cost so much more... like they were just
>> invented... what rip off.
>>

> You can stop mine (Frigidaire, a.k.a. White-Westinghouse or Gibson or
> Electrolux) to toss in that leftover sock or whatever, you just push
> in the control/timer dial to stop it and it unlocks the door.
>
> Bob

My whirlpool is stopable too. And washes more clothes per load with less
water than a standard top load washer. The colthes come out damp not wet as
well so not as much drying is required.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
>>>I'd like a front loader, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend
>>>the extra bucks.
>>>
>>>nancy

>> I remember front loaders from long ago (my grandmotehr had two, and a
>> mangle, she sold the kosher deli in Brooklyn and retired to run a
>> tourist home in the borscht belt, now they call them B & Bs - hoo-ha)
>> once you shut the door and began the cycle that was it, you couldn't
>> open it again to toss in those stinkin' towels you forgot about in
>> the upstairs terlit... I'm forever tossing something in while the
>> machine is still in the wash cycle. I still remember all those times
>> long ago when I washed clothes at the laundromat and the door on one
>> of the Bendix front loaders would pop open mid cycle, seemingly for
>> no reason at all... what a friggin' mess... but at least at the
>> laundromat the flood was squeegied down the floor drain... I don't
>> want to think about that with my brand new cherry floor. Unless
>> technology has changed drasticly I don't want a front loader. I
>> especially wouldn't pay more for one, I think they actually cost less
>> to manufacture than a top loader... in fact now that I recall the
>> Sears Roebuck displays from the 50s the automatic top loaders cost
>> more than front loaders, and every house wife wanted an automatic top
>> loader (the previous top loaders were manual, even had wringers).
>> Today's front loaders cost so much more... like they were just
>> invented... what rip off.
>>

> You can stop mine (Frigidaire, a.k.a. White-Westinghouse or Gibson or
> Electrolux) to toss in that leftover sock or whatever, you just push
> in the control/timer dial to stop it and it unlocks the door.
>
> Bob

My whirlpool is stopable too. And washes more clothes per load with less
water than a standard top load washer. The colthes come out damp not wet as
well so not as much drying is required.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

Tony P.

In article >, says...
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> > > Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
> > >
> > > Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

> > When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
> > considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
> > lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
> > improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
> > the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

In many cases it's much easier to string cable than it is to make sure
the gas pipe you just installed was done correctly.

> So, I signed up for time of day electric. Cheaper by half after 8pm
> or on weekends. Electricity is SO EXPENSIVE compared to gas. Just
> one more reason to choose gas. People in one particulary bad winter
> were being hit with 3-400 dollar bills. Not me. I done got me a
> gas dryer. Now I dry my laundry any time I wish.

It depends on where you are. Natural gas prices went through the roof in
the northeast. Poor RIPTA cringed - they've got about 30 Chance Coach
trolleys that run on CNG. Ooops.

Tony P.

In article >, says...
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> > > Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
> > >
> > > Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

> > When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
> > considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
> > lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
> > improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
> > the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

In many cases it's much easier to string cable than it is to make sure
the gas pipe you just installed was done correctly.

> So, I signed up for time of day electric. Cheaper by half after 8pm
> or on weekends. Electricity is SO EXPENSIVE compared to gas. Just
> one more reason to choose gas. People in one particulary bad winter
> were being hit with 3-400 dollar bills. Not me. I done got me a
> gas dryer. Now I dry my laundry any time I wish.

It depends on where you are. Natural gas prices went through the roof in
the northeast. Poor RIPTA cringed - they've got about 30 Chance Coach
trolleys that run on CNG. Ooops.

Tony P.

In article >, says...
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> > > Either that, or the lack of availability of gas in all homes.
> > >
> > > Thank goodness I only suffered a short stint with an electric stove.

> > When I was a kid on the farm (40 - odd years ago) electric stoves were
> > considered the last word in modernity. Even when we finally got "city" gas
> > lines run to our house (we were able to get a gas furnace, which WAS a BIG
> > improvement over the smelly and smoky old coal furnace we had) we still kept
> > the electric stove....

> Oddly, my house, when I bought it, was all set up for gas. Gas stove,
> gas furnace, water heater. The only thing that was electric was the
> dryer. Who the heck would go out of their way to wire a 220 line
> for an electric dryer? Got me.

In many cases it's much easier to string cable than it is to make sure
the gas pipe you just installed was done correctly.

> So, I signed up for time of day electric. Cheaper by half after 8pm
> or on weekends. Electricity is SO EXPENSIVE compared to gas. Just
> one more reason to choose gas. People in one particulary bad winter
> were being hit with 3-400 dollar bills. Not me. I done got me a
> gas dryer. Now I dry my laundry any time I wish.

It depends on where you are. Natural gas prices went through the roof in
the northeast. Poor RIPTA cringed - they've got about 30 Chance Coach
trolleys that run on CNG. Ooops.

Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> Isaac Wingfield > wrote in news:isw-F4E72F.21244124072004
> @netnews.comcast.net:
>
> > They don't deliver as many calories as gas

> That's probably a good thing, since I'm always on a perpetual diet!
>
> (NOT the same as "how hot it
> > gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
> > heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

> You obviously don't know how to cook on one.

I've had a couple. Found them a bit difficult to get good results from.

> > There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
> > restaurant kitchens.
> >

> I don't cook in a restaurant; I cook in my home.

Ahh, yes; but the techniques of good cooking are the same.

Isaac
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> Isaac Wingfield > wrote in news:isw-F4E72F.21244124072004
> @netnews.comcast.net:
>
> > They don't deliver as many calories as gas

> That's probably a good thing, since I'm always on a perpetual diet!
>
> (NOT the same as "how hot it
> > gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
> > heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

> You obviously don't know how to cook on one.

I've had a couple. Found them a bit difficult to get good results from.

> > There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
> > restaurant kitchens.
> >

> I don't cook in a restaurant; I cook in my home.

Ahh, yes; but the techniques of good cooking are the same.

Isaac

Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
Wayne > wrote:

> Isaac Wingfield > wrote in news:isw-F4E72F.21244124072004
> @netnews.comcast.net:
>
> > They don't deliver as many calories as gas

> That's probably a good thing, since I'm always on a perpetual diet!
>
> (NOT the same as "how hot it
> > gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
> > heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

> You obviously don't know how to cook on one.

I've had a couple. Found them a bit difficult to get good results from.

> > There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
> > restaurant kitchens.
> >

> I don't cook in a restaurant; I cook in my home.

Ahh, yes; but the techniques of good cooking are the same.

Isaac
Wayne

Isaac Wingfield > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne > wrote:
>
>> Isaac Wingfield > wrote in
>> news:isw-F4E72F.21244124072004 @netnews.comcast.net:
>>
>> > They don't deliver as many calories as gas

>> That's probably a good thing, since I'm always on a perpetual diet!
>>
>> (NOT the same as "how hot it
>> > gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
>> > heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

>> You obviously don't know how to cook on one.

> I've had a couple. Found them a bit difficult to get good results
> from.

Not surprising. People seem to be good on either gas or on electric, but
rarely both. I get much better results with electric. Suppose that's
one of the reasons they still both?

>> > There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
>> > restaurant kitchens.
>> >

>> I don't cook in a restaurant; I cook in my home.

> Ahh, yes; but the techniques of good cooking are the same.

The basic techniques may be the same, but apart from producing good food,
restaurants are all about producing good food fast. Speed is not an
essential for most homes. Electric stoves are not a hindrance to either
if you really understand them and know how to use them.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

Isaac Wingfield > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Wayne > wrote:
>
>> Isaac Wingfield > wrote in
>> news:isw-F4E72F.21244124072004 @netnews.comcast.net:
>>
>> > They don't deliver as many calories as gas

>> That's probably a good thing, since I'm always on a perpetual diet!
>>
>> (NOT the same as "how hot it
>> > gets"), they don't stop a boilover instantly when you turn down the
>> > heat, they don't heat up instantly when you turn it up,...

>> You obviously don't know how to cook on one.

> I've had a couple. Found them a bit difficult to get good results
> from.

Not surprising. People seem to be good on either gas or on electric, but
rarely both. I get much better results with electric. Suppose that's
one of the reasons they still both?

>> > There's a good reason why you don't find many electric stoves in
>> > restaurant kitchens.
>> >

>> I don't cook in a restaurant; I cook in my home.

> Ahh, yes; but the techniques of good cooking are the same.

The basic techniques may be the same, but apart from producing good food,
restaurants are all about producing good food fast. Speed is not an
essential for most homes. Electric stoves are not a hindrance to either
if you really understand them and know how to use them.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Mike Carvin

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Naturally the vast, vast majority don't opt, they take what the landlord
> supplies.

Which reminds me (as long as we're on the subject anyhoo)

We've (finally -- hooray) bought a house, so no more renting for us (and
putting up with what the landlord supplies). I grew up with electric
ranges/ovens and that's all I've ever used. I'm more than willing to use
the gas stove that comes with the house (actually, I'm looking forward to
it!!).

Any advice for someone's that's never dealt with a gas stove before? Any
gotchas? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance

MikeC

PENMART01

>"Mike Carvin" writes:
>
>>"PENMART01" wrote
>>
>> Naturally the vast, vast majority don't opt, they take what the landlord
>> supplies.

>We've (finally -- hooray) bought a house, so no more renting for us (and
>putting up with what the landlord supplies). I grew up with electric
>ranges/ovens and that's all I've ever used. I'm more than willing to use
>the gas stove that comes with the house (actually, I'm looking forward to
>it!!).
>
>Any advice for someone's that's never dealt with a gas stove before?

The advantages will become apparent with use, providing you can actually cook.
Don't discard your el-cheapo/dented pots, gas doesn't care about misshapen
bottoms (the gals will appreciate that) and/or designer cookware. If it's a
new house with a new stove than dive right in. If it's a previously owned then
have it checked out by a professional... your local gas supplier (natural gas
or propane - you don't say) will perform a safety check of the stove and the
entire piping system for free... if whoever answers the phone (usually some
airhead bimbo) begins to give you a ration of officious crap simply say you
smell gas, they'll send someone pronto, because if not then you say your next
calls are to the police and the fire dept. Conversely, the service guys who
arrive are almost always very nice, they will check things out and let you know
if anything needs repair. If it's an old gas stove, more than 15 years, I'd
opt for a brand new one. Of course if you could care less about cooking you
may rather want to invest in a neato high end microwave oven.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>"Mike Carvin" writes:
>
>>"PENMART01" wrote
>>
>> Naturally the vast, vast majority don't opt, they take what the landlord
>> supplies.

>We've (finally -- hooray) bought a house, so no more renting for us (and
>putting up with what the landlord supplies). I grew up with electric
>ranges/ovens and that's all I've ever used. I'm more than willing to use
>the gas stove that comes with the house (actually, I'm looking forward to
>it!!).
>
>Any advice for someone's that's never dealt with a gas stove before?

The advantages will become apparent with use, providing you can actually cook.
Don't discard your el-cheapo/dented pots, gas doesn't care about misshapen
bottoms (the gals will appreciate that) and/or designer cookware. If it's a
new house with a new stove than dive right in. If it's a previously owned then
have it checked out by a professional... your local gas supplier (natural gas
or propane - you don't say) will perform a safety check of the stove and the
entire piping system for free... if whoever answers the phone (usually some
airhead bimbo) begins to give you a ration of officious crap simply say you
smell gas, they'll send someone pronto, because if not then you say your next
calls are to the police and the fire dept. Conversely, the service guys who
arrive are almost always very nice, they will check things out and let you know
if anything needs repair. If it's an old gas stove, more than 15 years, I'd
opt for a brand new one. Of course if you could care less about cooking you
may rather want to invest in a neato high end microwave oven.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Jean B.

richard green wrote:

> I bought an induction cooktop 2 weeks ago and couldn't be more happy with
> it. It's fast, gets really hot and adjusts the temp up and (more
> importantly) down very quickly. It goes low enough to melt chocolate or make
> custard without having to use a doubleboiler or bainmarie. Drawbacks are the
> cost, and the fact that it's only compatible with stainless steel or iron
> cookware, but nearly all of my stuff is stainless - and - they threw in $400
> worth of stainless steel pots anyway!
>
> Richard.

I have two induction burners on my cooktop, and they are not
ultrawonderful. From the comments I have seen, I suspect the
induction cooktops in other parts of the world are both better and
more widely available than they are in the United States.

--
Jean B.

HiTech RedNeck

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...

> You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the flame
> to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited selection
> of sizes for electric heat source available.

I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame to
fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width with
infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of commercial
stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports at
the same burner position

Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a large
pan, you have too much heat for most things.

HiTech RedNeck

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...

> You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the flame
> to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited selection
> of sizes for electric heat source available.

I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame to
fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width with
infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of commercial
stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports at
the same burner position

Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a large
pan, you have too much heat for most things.

PENMART01

>"Bubba RedNeck"
>
>I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame to
>fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
>this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
>slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width with
>infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of commercial
>stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports at
>the same burner position
>
>Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a large
>pan, you have too much heat for most things.

Residential gas stoves have various size burners... mine has three different
sized burners... been this way for the past 25 years at least. But yoose gotta
buy more than bottom of the line stove... seems from what I read here most
spend more on pots than stoves.... with a decent gas stove yoose don't need any
snobware... of course no matter what yoose still gots to know how to cook. duh

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Pennyaline

"HiTech RedNeck" wrote:
> "Pennyaline" wrote:
> > You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the

flame
> > to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited

selection
> > of sizes for electric heat source available.

> I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame to
> fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
> this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
> slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width

with
> infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of

commercial
> stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports at
> the same burner position
>
> Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a

large
> pan, you have too much heat for most things.

Whatever.

Pennyaline

"HiTech RedNeck" wrote:
> "Pennyaline" wrote:
> > You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the

flame
> > to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited

selection
> > of sizes for electric heat source available.

> I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame to
> fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
> this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
> slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width

with
> infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of

commercial
> stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports at
> the same burner position
>
> Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a

large
> pan, you have too much heat for most things.

Whatever.

Pennyaline

"HiTech RedNeck" wrote:
> "Pennyaline" wrote:
> > You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the

flame
> > to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited

selection
> > of sizes for electric heat source available.

> I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame to
> fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
> this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
> slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width

with
> infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of

commercial
> stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports at
> the same burner position
>
> Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a

large
> pan, you have too much heat for most things.

Whatever.

t gilb

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...
| "HiTech RedNeck" wrote:
| > "Pennyaline" wrote:
| > > You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the
| flame
| > > to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited
| selection
| > > of sizes for electric heat source available.
| >
| > I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame
| > fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
| > this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
| > slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width
| with
| > infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of
| commercial
| > stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports
at
| > the same burner position
| >
| > Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a
| large
| > pan, you have too much heat for most things.
|
| Whatever.

The depth and thought put into that response always stimulates me. So
profound................

Peter Aitken

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...
> "HiTech RedNeck" wrote:
> > "Pennyaline" wrote:
> > > You know when a gas burner is on. You know when it's off. Adjust the

> flame
> > > to fit the pan, rather than stick your pan on one of the limited

> selection
> > > of sizes for electric heat source available.

> > I see this mantra all the time, "with a gas stove you can adjust flame

> > fit pan." In truth I have never seen a household type stove that can do
> > this. If it really could, that would be a neat feature, like a little
> > slider that you can move to make the ring of gas ports change in width

> with
> > infinite adjustability in between its extremes. I have heard of

> commercial
> > stoves that let you choose from two different size arrays of gas ports

at
> > the same burner position
> >
> > Anyhow, if you set the gas high enough that the flame really "fits" a

> large
> > pan, you have too much heat for most things.

> Whatever.

"Whatever" - a word used by people 16 years old and under to mean "I don't
understand what you are talking about and I have nothing intelligent to
say."

--
Peter Aitken