chef

Default eating in grand central

Just watched a program on the majic fish tank about eating in grand central
station . It all looked very very nice but no one mentioned anything about
price , anybody got any ideas?????
Did MJ do it?
merry xmas
ttfn andy

MaryGosline

> eating in grand central
>station . It all looked very very nice but no one mentioned anything about
>price , anybody got any ideas????

There are three very expensive restaurants (including Michael Jordan's Steak
House) and a large food court.
Susie Q
OhJeeez

don't forget the Oyster Bar, overpriced but worth the stop, if only to look at
the room (and the easily missed back dining room). the moorish arches and tile
work are extremely distinctive and can be seen replicated at Gustavinos,
another overpriced room worth stopping in, if for no other reason to take in
the similar architecture and have a drink. Gustavinos - named after the
Italian designer/tileman who did both locations - is built into the
manhattan-side base of the 59th street bridge, along with a supermarket and
Conran's. two great architectural locations. and btw, one of the lesser known
architectural/acooustic features of gcs is directly outside the oyster bar's
main entrance in the basement: if you stand facing one of the corners and
someone else does same diagonally opposite you (so your backs face each others)
you can whisper to each other into the corners and your voices will travel up
the arches; you'll hear each other no matter the noise level (like the rotunda
in the capitol building). as for the food court, you might as well go to a
mall - it's a good area to regroup, use the bathroom, etc. the bar up by
what's now michael jordan's on the vanderbilt ave. side is a great spot to take
in the grandeur of the station and the farmer's market on the lexington ave
side is worth a look. good luck.
Glenn Jacobs

On 19 Dec 2003 14:40:46 GMT, OhJeeez wrote:

> don't forget the Oyster Bar, overpriced but worth the stop, if only to look at
> the room (and the easily missed back dining room). the moorish arches and tile
> work are extremely distinctive and can be seen replicated at Gustavinos,
> another overpriced room worth stopping in, if for no other reason to take in
> the similar architecture and have a drink. Gustavinos - named after the
> Italian designer/tileman who did both locations - is built into the
> manhattan-side base of the 59th street bridge, along with a supermarket and
> Conran's. two great architectural locations. and btw, one of the lesser known
> architectural/acooustic features of gcs is directly outside the oyster bar's
> main entrance in the basement: if you stand facing one of the corners and
> someone else does same diagonally opposite you (so your backs face each others)
> you can whisper to each other into the corners and your voices will travel up
> the arches; you'll hear each other no matter the noise level (like the rotunda
> in the capitol building). as for the food court, you might as well go to a
> mall - it's a good area to regroup, use the bathroom, etc. the bar up by
> what's now michael jordan's on the vanderbilt ave. side is a great spot to take
> in the grandeur of the station and the farmer's market on the lexington ave
> side is worth a look. good luck.

Last time I ate there was long before the fire. Is the fish as good as it
was?

--
JakeInHartsel
The Wolf

On 12/19/2003 6:40 AM, in article
, "OhJeeez" >
opined:

> don't forget the Oyster Bar, overpriced but worth the stop, if only to look at
> the room (and the easily missed back dining room). the moorish arches and
> tile
> work are extremely distinctive and can be seen replicated at Gustavinos,
> another overpriced room worth stopping in, if for no other reason to take in
> the similar architecture and have a drink. Gustavinos - named after the
> Italian designer/tileman who did both locations - is built into the
> manhattan-side base of the 59th street bridge, along with a supermarket and
> Conran's. two great architectural locations. and btw, one of the lesser
> known
> architectural/acooustic features of gcs is directly outside the oyster bar's
> main entrance in the basement: if you stand facing one of the corners and
> someone else does same diagonally opposite you (so your backs face each
> others)
> you can whisper to each other into the corners and your voices will travel up
> the arches; you'll hear each other no matter the noise level (like the
> rotunda
> in the capitol building). as for the food court, you might as well go to a
> mall - it's a good area to regroup, use the bathroom, etc. the bar up by
> what's now michael jordan's on the vanderbilt ave. side is a great spot to
> take
> in the grandeur of the station and the farmer's market on the lexington ave
> side is worth a look. good luck.

What's a dozen oysters cost?

TaraDanielle

I ate there last month, and I was pleasantly surprised by the prices.
I think the place was called Tracks, it had a raw bar but I had a
really good bacon cheddar burger and hubby had good lobster ravioli,
terrible soup. I think the tax was about 25%, but other than that the
meal cost the same as it would in Philly (I think $8 for the burger
with sweet potatoe fries, $6 for my pinot grigio)
Tara Danielle
PS Yes I do NOT match my wine to my food. So shoot me :-)
PPS HAPPY CHANUKAH!
Don Wiss

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, The Wolf > wrote:

>On 12/19/2003 6:40 AM, OhJeeez > opined:
>
>> don't forget the Oyster Bar,

>What's a dozen oysters cost?

Depends on the type of oyster.

Here's a pictire of the room and tiles: http://www.oysterbarny.com/
It has an 800 number and you can call and find out just what type of
oysters they have these days.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
The Wolf

On 12/20/2003 5:29 PM, in article
, "Don Wiss" >
opined:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, The Wolf > wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2003 6:40 AM, OhJeeez > opined:
>>
>>> don't forget the Oyster Bar,

>> What's a dozen oysters cost?

> Depends on the type of oyster.
>
> Here's a pictire of the room and tiles:
http://www.oysterbarny.com/
> It has an 800 number and you can call and find out just what type of
> oysters they have these days.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Thanks