Kate B

Default Brooklyn (NYC) Food & Restaurant Suggestions?

I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
(we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I would
like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when my
unadventurous SO is working ;-).

Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

TIA

Kate

Kenneth

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:41:45 GMT, "Kate B" >
wrote:

>While I would
>like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
>and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments?

Howdy,

Let your SO find something else for the evening, and invite me
instead... <g>

Also, check out http://tinyurl.com/5s6h8 for Gage & Tollner, founded
in the same era as Peter Luger, also wonderful...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

wrote:

>While I would
>like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
>and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments?

Howdy,

Let your SO find something else for the evening, and invite me
instead... <g>

Also, check out http://tinyurl.com/5s6h8 for Gage & Tollner, founded
in the same era as Peter Luger, also wonderful...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Michael Siemon

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:41:45 GMT, "Kate B" >
> wrote:
>
> >While I would
> >like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
> >and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments?

> Howdy,
>
> Let your SO find something else for the evening, and invite me
> instead... <g>
>
> Also, check out http://tinyurl.com/5s6h8 for Gage & Tollner, founded
> in the same era as Peter Luger, also wonderful...
>
> HTH,

I think Gage & Tollner recently closed. They were quite atrocious
in the last few years at least (only times I went). Peter Luger's,
by contrast, is fine. Ambience is not fancy, but shouldn't be very
off-putting (though the neighborhood is a bit shabby).

However, for most purposes, I'd suggest the River Cafe. Quite good
food (as opposed to superb but monomaniacal steak house), and great
setting (view of Manhattan).
Michael Siemon

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:41:45 GMT, "Kate B" >
> wrote:
>
> >While I would
> >like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
> >and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments?

> Howdy,
>
> Let your SO find something else for the evening, and invite me
> instead... <g>
>
> Also, check out http://tinyurl.com/5s6h8 for Gage & Tollner, founded
> in the same era as Peter Luger, also wonderful...
>
> HTH,

I think Gage & Tollner recently closed. They were quite atrocious
in the last few years at least (only times I went). Peter Luger's,
by contrast, is fine. Ambience is not fancy, but shouldn't be very
off-putting (though the neighborhood is a bit shabby).

However, for most purposes, I'd suggest the River Cafe. Quite good
food (as opposed to superb but monomaniacal steak house), and great
setting (view of Manhattan).

Gregory Morrow

Kate B wrote:

> I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
> weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
> Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
> north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
> afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
> or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
> (we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
> preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I

would
> like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the

ambiance
> and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
> interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when

my
> unadventurous SO is working ;-).
>
> Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
> explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

If you go to the NYC board on www.chowhound.com you will get TONS of
info...you can also search their archives....

Just post this exact same message on chowhound and you'll get some good
advice...be advised that the interface is a bit clunky, though....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Kate B wrote:

> I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
> weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
> Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
> north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
> afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
> or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
> (we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
> preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I

would
> like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the

ambiance
> and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
> interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when

my
> unadventurous SO is working ;-).
>
> Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
> explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

If you go to the NYC board on www.chowhound.com you will get TONS of
info...you can also search their archives....

Just post this exact same message on chowhound and you'll get some good
advice...be advised that the interface is a bit clunky, though....

--
Best
Greg

Kenneth

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:51:19 GMT, Michael Siemon >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Kenneth > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:41:45 GMT, "Kate B" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >While I would
>> >like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
>> >and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments?

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Let your SO find something else for the evening, and invite me
>> instead... <g>
>>
>> Also, check out http://tinyurl.com/5s6h8 for Gage & Tollner, founded
>> in the same era as Peter Luger, also wonderful...
>>
>> HTH,

>I think Gage & Tollner recently closed. They were quite atrocious
>in the last few years at least (only times I went). Peter Luger's,
>by contrast, is fine. Ambience is not fancy, but shouldn't be very
>off-putting (though the neighborhood is a bit shabby).
>
>However, for most purposes, I'd suggest the River Cafe. Quite good
>food (as opposed to superb but monomaniacal steak house), and great
>setting (view of Manhattan).

Hello again,

Indeed, you are correct about G&T having closed.

My last meal there was perhaps fifteen years ago, and was wonderful,
but, as I read a bit more, it apparently had deteriorated before its
demise.

'Sorry for the confusion,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

wrote:

>In article >,
> Kenneth > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:41:45 GMT, "Kate B" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >While I would
>> >like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
>> >and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments?

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Let your SO find something else for the evening, and invite me
>> instead... <g>
>>
>> Also, check out http://tinyurl.com/5s6h8 for Gage & Tollner, founded
>> in the same era as Peter Luger, also wonderful...
>>
>> HTH,

>I think Gage & Tollner recently closed. They were quite atrocious
>in the last few years at least (only times I went). Peter Luger's,
>by contrast, is fine. Ambience is not fancy, but shouldn't be very
>off-putting (though the neighborhood is a bit shabby).
>
>However, for most purposes, I'd suggest the River Cafe. Quite good
>food (as opposed to superb but monomaniacal steak house), and great
>setting (view of Manhattan).

Hello again,

Indeed, you are correct about G&T having closed.

My last meal there was perhaps fifteen years ago, and was wonderful,
but, as I read a bit more, it apparently had deteriorated before its
demise.

'Sorry for the confusion,

--
Kenneth

PENMART01

>Kate B wrote:
>
>> I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
>> weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
>> Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
>> north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
>> afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
>> or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
>> (we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
>> preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I

>would
>> like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the

>ambiance
>> and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
>> interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when

>my
>> unadventurous SO is working ;-).
>>
>> Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
>> explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

Brooklyn cusine is so diverse that no liftetime is long enough to experience it
all (like attempting the entire internet).

Brooklyn dining is for the most part segregated by neighborhoods, interspersed
with Chinese Restaurants, many wonderful, others crap. You need to determine
which ethnicity's fare you'd like and then go to those neighborhoods.
Brooklyn's downtown area is not where you want to dine, that's for the
tourists, same as most of Manhattan... and Brooklyn is much too large and
diverse for a fair sampling in a few days. You really need to travel to a
particular neighborhood and then walk... perhaps begin your journey along
Avenue U from West 6th St. to 86th Street for Italian, experience some of the
world's best bakeries, and then north under the el for Eastern European, best
of the best kosher delis... or Sheepshead Bay for seafood, and then Brighten
Beach for Russian. You really need years to experience Brooklyn. There are
enough superb Greek diners that if you tried a different one each day you'd
still have more to try after a year, you'll never become bored with their
offerings, their menu is probably thicker than the phone book where you come
from... and none specialize in Greek food.

For Italian there's none better, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on
ones point of view) it's not possible to experience a fair sampling of their
specialties in less than six visits:
http://www.spumonigardens.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Kate B wrote:
>
>> I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
>> weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
>> Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
>> north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
>> afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
>> or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
>> (we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
>> preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I

>would
>> like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the

>ambiance
>> and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
>> interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when

>my
>> unadventurous SO is working ;-).
>>
>> Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
>> explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

Brooklyn cusine is so diverse that no liftetime is long enough to experience it
all (like attempting the entire internet).

Brooklyn dining is for the most part segregated by neighborhoods, interspersed
with Chinese Restaurants, many wonderful, others crap. You need to determine
which ethnicity's fare you'd like and then go to those neighborhoods.
Brooklyn's downtown area is not where you want to dine, that's for the
tourists, same as most of Manhattan... and Brooklyn is much too large and
diverse for a fair sampling in a few days. You really need to travel to a
particular neighborhood and then walk... perhaps begin your journey along
Avenue U from West 6th St. to 86th Street for Italian, experience some of the
world's best bakeries, and then north under the el for Eastern European, best
of the best kosher delis... or Sheepshead Bay for seafood, and then Brighten
Beach for Russian. You really need years to experience Brooklyn. There are
enough superb Greek diners that if you tried a different one each day you'd
still have more to try after a year, you'll never become bored with their
offerings, their menu is probably thicker than the phone book where you come
from... and none specialize in Greek food.

For Italian there's none better, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on
ones point of view) it's not possible to experience a fair sampling of their
specialties in less than six visits:
http://www.spumonigardens.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Ted Campanelli

On 7/22/2004 10:41 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

> I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
> weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
> Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
> north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
> afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
> or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
> (we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
> preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I would
> like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
> and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
> interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when my
> unadventurous SO is working ;-).
>
> Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
> explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?
>
> TIA
>
> Kate

Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami, sandwiches
to die for. Not fancy (in fact VERY far from it), but probably THE BEST
pastrami and corned beef within 1000 (or more) miles.

Ted Campanelli

On 7/22/2004 10:41 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

> I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
> weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
> Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
> north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
> afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
> or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
> (we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
> preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I would
> like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
> and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
> interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when my
> unadventurous SO is working ;-).
>
> Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
> explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?
>
> TIA
>
> Kate

Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami, sandwiches
to die for. Not fancy (in fact VERY far from it), but probably THE BEST
pastrami and corned beef within 1000 (or more) miles.

Kenneth

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:55:20 GMT, Ted Campanelli
> wrote:

>Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami, sandwiches
>to die for. Not fancy (in fact VERY far from it), but probably THE BEST
>pastrami and corned beef within 1000 (or more) miles.

Howdy,

Katz' is not on the Bowery, it is at 205 E. Houston Street. And, as
the OP may know, that is not in Brooklyn.

Others may debate its merits, but for me, it is a favorite...!

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:55:20 GMT, Ted Campanelli
> wrote:

>Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami, sandwiches
>to die for. Not fancy (in fact VERY far from it), but probably THE BEST
>pastrami and corned beef within 1000 (or more) miles.

Howdy,

Katz' is not on the Bowery, it is at 205 E. Houston Street. And, as
the OP may know, that is not in Brooklyn.

Others may debate its merits, but for me, it is a favorite...!

All the best,

--
Kenneth

PENMART01

Ted Campanelli says:
>Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami,

There's nothing authentic Jewish about Katz's Deli, it ain't kosher... and
neither is it in Brooklyn.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

Ted Campanelli says:
>Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami,

There's nothing authentic Jewish about Katz's Deli, it ain't kosher... and
neither is it in Brooklyn.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Scott

In article >,
Ted Campanelli > wrote:

> Katz's Deli down in the Bowery. AUTHENTIC Jewish Pastrami, sandwiches
> to die for. Not fancy (in fact VERY far from it), but probably THE BEST
> pastrami and corned beef within 1000 (or more) miles.

I guess the inclusion in *Brooklyn* food & restaurant suggestions was an
oversight....

Katz's is overrated. I've been there three times and been under
impressed each time. The people I've gone there with were mystified
about all the fuss.

And it ain't "authentic."

please mail OT responses only
Curly Sue

wrote:

>I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
>weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
>Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
>north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
>afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
>or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
>(we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
>preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I would
>like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
>and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
>interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when my
>unadventurous SO is working ;-).

Plan Eat Thailand is interesting but I think it moved, so I'm not sure
where it is anymore!

>Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
>explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

If you like chocolate, Jacques Torres' Chocolate Shop is a must! If
the pithivier cake is available, try it (yum!).

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>I am going to be spending some quality time in Brooklyn starting this
>weekend. I've never been to Brooklyn although I am very familiar with
>Manhattan. Normally we stay in mid-town and usually dine in the evenings
>north of the 30's (during the day when I am on my own I venture further
>afield). I am interested in a couple of very nice restaurants in Brooklyn
>or those that are an easy cab ride away from the downtown Brooklyn area
>(we're staying at the Marriott). My SO hates noisy restaurants so
>preferably a fine dining type restaurant for a few evenings. While I would
>like to try Peter Luger's from what I have read about the place the ambiance
>and service may be a little off-putting for my SO - comments? I am also
>interested in some interesting ethnic restaurants for during the day when my
>unadventurous SO is working ;-).

Plan Eat Thailand is interesting but I think it moved, so I'm not sure
where it is anymore!

>Also are there any interesting foodie type shops or markets or areas to
>explore in Brooklyn or any *must do* places to check out?

If you like chocolate, Jacques Torres' Chocolate Shop is a must! If
the pithivier cake is available, try it (yum!).

Sue(tm)

sf

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:19:12 GMT, Scott
> wrote:

> Katz's is overrated. I've been there three times and been under
> impressed each time. The people I've gone there with were mystified
> about all the fuss.

I loved it, as has everyone I know personally who has been
there.

> And it ain't "authentic."

It's also impossible to find an "authentic" NY bagel in NYC
w/o being sent on a snipe hunt.

sf

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:19:12 GMT, Scott
> wrote:

> Katz's is overrated. I've been there three times and been under
> impressed each time. The people I've gone there with were mystified
> about all the fuss.

I loved it, as has everyone I know personally who has been
there.

> And it ain't "authentic."

It's also impossible to find an "authentic" NY bagel in NYC
w/o being sent on a snipe hunt.

Believe it or not, I just received this 7/22 posting. Optimum Online
must have been having a problem. Anyway, I once had dinner in a
wonderful Italian Restaurant called La Polina. I think it was on Ave
O or P near East 3rd Street. I wonder if that is still there and
still good. It think it used to be in Zagats but it's gone in the new
NYC Guide.

On 22 Jul 2004 17:18:54 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

> [...]

>of the best kosher delis... or Sheepshead Bay for seafood, and then Brighten
>Beach for Russian. You really need years to experience Brooklyn. There are
>enough superb Greek diners that if you tried a different one each day you'd
>still have more to try after a year, you'll never become bored with their
>offerings, their menu is probably thicker than the phone book where you come
>from... and none specialize in Greek food.
>
>For Italian there's none better, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on
>ones point of view) it's not possible to experience a fair sampling of their
>specialties in less than six visits:

http://www.spumonigardens.com

>---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

PENMART01

writes:

>Believe it or not, I just received this 7/22 posting. Optimum Online
>must have been having a problem. Anyway, I once had dinner in a
>wonderful Italian Restaurant called La Polina. I think it was on Ave
>O or P near East 3rd Street. I wonder if that is still there and
>still good. It think it used to be in Zagats but it's gone in the new
>NYC Guide.

Never hoid of any La Polina... other than Ray's Pizza at the south east corner
of Ave. P & E. 2nd St. (second store in) there wasn't any Italian Restaurant in
existence on all of Ave. P for the last 50 years. Ave. O in that area is all
residential, no businesses of any kind exist there. The closest Italian
restaurant to that area is on 65th St., just west of McDonald Ave., "Vesuvius".
I know that neighborhood as intimately as it's possible to know anything
intimately, as a teenager I owned it.

>Brooklyn
>>>would
>>>ambiance
>>>my

>>Brooklyn cusine is so diverse that no liftetime is long enough to experience

>it
>>all (like attempting the entire internet).
>>
>>Brooklyn dining is for the most part segregated by neighborhoods,

>interspersed
>>with Chinese Restaurants, many wonderful, others crap. You need to

>determine
>>which ethnicity's fare you'd like and then go to those neighborhoods.
>>Brooklyn's downtown area is not where you want to dine, that's for the
>>tourists, same as most of Manhattan... and Brooklyn is much too large and
>>diverse for a fair sampling in a few days. You really need to travel to a
>>particular neighborhood and then walk... perhaps begin your journey along
>>Avenue U from West 6th St. to 86th Street for Italian, experience some of

>the
>>world's best bakeries, and then north under the el for Eastern European,

>best
>>of the best kosher delis... or Sheepshead Bay for seafood, and then Brighten
>>Beach for Russian. You really need years to experience Brooklyn. There are
>>enough superb Greek diners that if you tried a different one each day you'd
>>still have more to try after a year, you'll never become bored with their
>>offerings, their menu is probably thicker than the phone book where you come
>>from... and none specialize in Greek food.
>>
>>For Italian there's none better, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending

>on
>>ones point of view) it's not possible to experience a fair sampling of their
>>specialties in less than six visits:

http://www.spumonigardens.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

writes:

>Believe it or not, I just received this 7/22 posting. Optimum Online
>must have been having a problem. Anyway, I once had dinner in a
>wonderful Italian Restaurant called La Polina. I think it was on Ave
>O or P near East 3rd Street. I wonder if that is still there and
>still good. It think it used to be in Zagats but it's gone in the new
>NYC Guide.

Never hoid of any La Polina... other than Ray's Pizza at the south east corner
of Ave. P & E. 2nd St. (second store in) there wasn't any Italian Restaurant in
existence on all of Ave. P for the last 50 years. Ave. O in that area is all
residential, no businesses of any kind exist there. The closest Italian
restaurant to that area is on 65th St., just west of McDonald Ave., "Vesuvius".
I know that neighborhood as intimately as it's possible to know anything
intimately, as a teenager I owned it.

>Brooklyn
>>>would
>>>ambiance
>>>my

>>Brooklyn cusine is so diverse that no liftetime is long enough to experience

>it
>>all (like attempting the entire internet).
>>
>>Brooklyn dining is for the most part segregated by neighborhoods,

>interspersed
>>with Chinese Restaurants, many wonderful, others crap. You need to

>determine
>>which ethnicity's fare you'd like and then go to those neighborhoods.
>>Brooklyn's downtown area is not where you want to dine, that's for the
>>tourists, same as most of Manhattan... and Brooklyn is much too large and
>>diverse for a fair sampling in a few days. You really need to travel to a
>>particular neighborhood and then walk... perhaps begin your journey along
>>Avenue U from West 6th St. to 86th Street for Italian, experience some of

>the
>>world's best bakeries, and then north under the el for Eastern European,

>best
>>of the best kosher delis... or Sheepshead Bay for seafood, and then Brighten
>>Beach for Russian. You really need years to experience Brooklyn. There are
>>enough superb Greek diners that if you tried a different one each day you'd
>>still have more to try after a year, you'll never become bored with their
>>offerings, their menu is probably thicker than the phone book where you come
>>from... and none specialize in Greek food.
>>
>>For Italian there's none better, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending

>on
>>ones point of view) it's not possible to experience a fair sampling of their
>>specialties in less than six visits:

http://www.spumonigardens.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

writes:

>>>Believe it or not, I just received this 7/22 posting. Optimum Online
>>>must have been having a problem. Anyway, I once had dinner in a
>>>wonderful Italian Restaurant called La Polina. I think it was on Ave
>>>O or P near East 3rd Street. I wonder if that is still there and
>>>still good. It think it used to be in Zagats but it's gone in the new
>>>NYC Guide.

>>Never hoid of any La Polina... other than Ray's Pizza at the south east

>corner
>>of Ave. P & E. 2nd St. (second store in) there wasn't any Italian Restaurant

>in
>>existence on all of Ave. P for the last 50 years. Ave. O in that area is

>all
>>residential, no businesses of any kind exist there. The closest Italian
>>restaurant to that area is on 65th St., just west of McDonald Ave.,

>"Vesuvius".
>> I know that neighborhood as intimately as it's possible to know anything
>>intimately, as a teenager I owned it.

>It is La Palina. 159 Avenue O.
>
>http://www.lapalina.net/

That's way over on the West side, West 5th St.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Thanks,

I had the address in my Palm Pilot but the name was wrong. Have you
ever eaten there? When I went there, maybe 4 years ago, when I was
dating someone from Manhattan Beach, it was just wonderful southern
Italian cooking. I don't know that I'd make the trip from Long Island
just to go to La Palina but if I was coming back someplace riding on
the Belt Parkway, it's right up Ocean Parkway, not far from where I
spent my infant years.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:12:22 -0500, Boron Elgar

http://www.lapalina.net/

http://www.lapalina.net/