Old 21-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Carryon

Default Neat way to cook Alaska King Crab Legs (Thanks Alton Brown)

Bruce K. wrote:
I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.

These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.

On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:

1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).

2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.

3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.

4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps someone.

Bruce

Just prepared them this way yesterday. Worked very well but I used the
natural paper towels from the health food store.
Doing them this way doesn't waste water.
Crab question:
Do these huge legs have any kind of body? Something like a real crab?
I just can't imagine seeing one whole. They look a bit like spiders
don't they.

Old 21-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Paul M. Cookę«

"Bruce K." wrote in message
I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.

These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.

On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:

1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).

2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.

3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.

4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps someone.

I did not hear this! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!

Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in melted
butter.

Paul

Old 21-07-2004, 08:55 PM
jmcquown

Default User wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to
put them in a large pot of boiling water?

Ummmm, the fact that you have to boil a big pot of water just to do a
few crab legs?

Those "few" crab legs can probably feed 4-6 people, if they are truly King
crab and not Snow crab being sold as "king".

Wrapped in wet paper towels, that's a very convenient way to steam
your
crab legs. Sounds like an excellent idea to me. What's your objection
it?

Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the microwave
for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm going to
pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big pot of
salted water to toss them in.

Old 21-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Carryon

Paul M. Cookę« wrote:
"Bruce K." wrote in message

I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.

These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.

On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:

1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).

2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.

3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.

4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps someone.

I did not hear this! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!

Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in melted
butter.

Paul

It works very well, saves water and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Old 21-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Default User

"StocksRus«" wrote:

I'll take Alton's opinion over yours almost any day.

Ummm...if you know anything about the process of paper making, I would NOT
do it that way.
Ever been to Jacksonville Fla? Caustic chems and all. Know what I mean?

Bullshit. While paper-making produces caustic chemicals, paper itself is
perfectly safe.

Brian Rodenborn

Old 21-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Paul M. Cookę«

"Carryon" wrote in message
Paul M. Cookę« wrote:
"Bruce K." wrote in message

I've always been wary of trying to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs.

These babies cost up to $20.00 a lb.

On food TV last week Brown had a greaat way to prepare them:

1. Take 3 legs and cut them in half (using scissors).

2. Wrap them in 2 wet layers of paper towels.

3. Wrap package in plastic wrap.

4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps someone.

I did not hear this! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!

Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in

melted
butter.

Paul

It works very well, saves water and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Microwaving changes the texture of food. Something about steaming it from
within by erupting the cell structure like popcorn. It just does not taste
the same and a delicate, expensive meat like king crab deserves much better
treatment than you would employ to reheat a hot dog or a frozen burrito.

Paul

Old 21-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Peter Aitken

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
jmcquown wrote:

OMG, microwaved crab legs??? Bruce, exactly how difficult is it to
put them in a large pot of boiling water?

Ummmm, the fact that you have to boil a big pot of water just to do a
few crab legs?

Those "few" crab legs can probably feed 4-6 people, if they are truly King
crab and not Snow crab being sold as "king".

Wrapped in wet paper towels, that's a very convenient way to steam
your
crab legs. Sounds like an excellent idea to me. What's your objection
it?

Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the microwave
for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm going

pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big pot

of
salted water to toss them in.

King crab legs are already cooked when you buy them - at least I have never
seen them raw. If they are red, they are cooked. So you *are* reheating
leftovers. But I think steaming is better than MW or boiling.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 21-07-2004, 09:34 PM

jmcquown wrote:

Microwaved food simply doesn't taste the same to me. I use the microwave
for reheating leftovers, occasionally for steaming veggies. If I'm going to
pay $20+ for King crab legs, I surely hope I can afford to boil a big pot of
salted water to toss them in.

You don't microwave the food. You microwave the water in the towels,
which steams the food.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 21-07-2004, 09:35 PM

"Paul M. Cookę«" wrote:

Microwave king crab? Whoever would do this deserves to be drowned in melted
butter.

Again, you aren't microwaving the food. Read what it said. You are
steaming it.

Brian Rodenborn