sf

Default pulled pork

I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
questions...

I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
side?

What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?

TIA

Tara

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:45:19 GMT, sf > wrote:

>I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
>mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

It's not very common, but I do like it.

>What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
>side?

Either way.

>What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?

Baked beans, potato salad, sliced white bread, pickles, potato chips,
banana pudding, peach cobbler

Tara
notbob

On 2004-07-12, Tara > wrote:

> Baked beans, potato salad, sliced white bread, pickles, potato chips,
> banana pudding, peach cobbler

Ahh... a pulled pork purist!

nb
jmcquown

sf wrote:
> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...
>
> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?
>
> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?
>
> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?
>
> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Living in West TN for 30+ years, also having lived in South Carolina a
couple of years before that, I've never heard of a mayo-based "white sauce"
for pulled pork. Reg stated there is an Alabama sauce that is mayo based.
Not around here!

Most folks just use their fav (red) BBQ sauce. It's up to you whether that
BBQ sauce is mustard or vinegar based. I prefer the vinegar based since I'm
not a huge fan of yellow mustard. The sauce is added as a topping as
desired to the pulled pork, whether you eat the pork as a sandwich or not.

As for the slaw, if you're going to make a pulled pork sandwich, around here
it goes *on* the sandwich (which is served on the cheap hamburger buns
others have mentioned). But I don't like cole slaw so if I must eat pulled
pork I leave slaw off completely.

Tara mentioned the usual sides - BBQ or baked beans, potato salad, pickles,
potato chips, are all common sides with pulled pork. Tara also mentioned
desserts - banana pudding, cobblers and the like.

Are you going to make the pulled pork at home or have you found a place that
you can go to eat it? (I forget where you live, sorry!)

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> > questions...

> As for the slaw, if you're going to make a pulled pork sandwich, around here
> it goes *on* the sandwich (which is served on the cheap hamburger buns
> others have mentioned).

I haven't the vaguest idea why I knew that. Maybe because that's how
sloppy joes are served. But I always put pulled pork on the cheap
hamburger bun.

> Tara mentioned the usual sides - BBQ or baked beans, potato salad, pickles,
> potato chips, are all common sides with pulled pork. Tara also mentioned
> desserts - banana pudding, cobblers and the like.

I think this belongs under an earlier thread. What foods cancel each
other out. I didn't think of it in time to respond, but I once made
a chili hotdog. My chili does not taste like a hotdog. My hotdogs
do not taste like chili. Put chili on the hotdog? One giant
flavorless nothing. They tasted like each other, and not in a good
way.

Baked beans with pulled pork sandwiches? People might do it, but it
wouldn't work for me. Too much alike.

> Are you going to make the pulled pork at home or have you found a place that
> you can go to eat it? (I forget where you live, sorry!)

sf ... might give you a clue.

(giggling) nancy

JimLane

alzelt wrote:

> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

snip

> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.

jim

Wayne

JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
1.nethere.net:

> alzelt wrote:
>
>> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

> snip
>
>> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

> Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
> creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>

> jim

I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never one
that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd certainly
consider it non-traditioinal.

That said, however, there's nothing wrong with subbing full-fat mayo with
a low fat product. Some are rather good. One I've tried recently that
surprised me with its good taste and texture is Best Food's "Just 2
Good".

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Curly Sue

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:32:14 GMT, Wayne > wrote:

>JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
>1.nethere.net:
>
>> alzelt wrote:
>>
>>> In Eastern Carolina, cole slaw is a traditional topping. Try this one.

>>> 1 c low fat mayonnaise

>> Right. Since when is "low fat" mayo traditional? It is a relatively new
>> creation compared to the rich history of pulled pork.
>>
>> jim

>I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never one
>that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd certainly
>consider it non-traditioinal.

It may not be traditional, but it is really good.

>That said, however, there's nothing wrong with subbing full-fat mayo with
>a low fat product. Some are rather good. One I've tried recently that
>surprised me with its good taste and texture is Best Food's "Just 2
>Good".

I'll have to try that to believe it. In that case I doubt that I'd
like it. The Hellman's recipe is a such a perfect balance that any
changes ruin it. I've mentioned before that even the version they
make in Canada is not as good. (and I don't understand *why* they
alter the recipe for Canada). I have been unable to make anything
close to it in taste at home (texture, yes. taste, no).

Sue(tm)
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:00:01 GMT, The Cook
> > wrote:
>
> > The rolls must be Wonder bread or the local equivalent.

> Toasted or not???

Untoasted. You want the sandwich to be squooshy in your hands and make
a mess.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Jeff Russell

Hellman's and Best Foods are the same and the same company, just East and
West marketing.

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> (Curly Sue) wrote in
> :
>
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:32:14 GMT, Wayne > wrote:
> >
> >>JimLane > wrote in news:1089696388.422663@news-
> >>1.nethere.net:

> >>I've had many pulled pork sandwiches with a slaw topping, but never
> >>one that had a mayo based dressing. I doubt I'd like it, and I'd
> >>certainly consider it non-traditioinal.

> > It may not be traditional, but it is really good.

> I'd probably like it as a side, but not on top. And it may be
> traditional in Eastern Carolina. I've never had BBQ in that area.
>
> > I'll have to try that to believe it. In that case I doubt that I'd
> > like it. The Hellman's recipe is a such a perfect balance that any
> > changes ruin it. I've mentioned before that even the version they
> > make in Canada is not as good. (and I don't understand *why* they
> > alter the recipe for Canada). I have been unable to make anything
> > close to it in taste at home (texture, yes. taste, no).

> When we lived in Ohio we always used Hellman's and now we use Best Food's
> here in AZ. I can't tell them apart. I've never had the version made in
> Canada.
>
> My strong preference would still be Best Food's regular mayo, but when
> you're trying to cut the fat you've got to use something. The "Just 2
> Good" is absolutely the best reduced-fat mayo product I've tasted,
> including the "light" versions, and it even has less fat than the light
> versions. You might find that you don't like it or even hate it, but for
> me it's better than going without.
>

> > Sue(tm)
> > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

notbob

On 2004-07-15, Rona Yuthasastrakosol > wrote:
> "Donna Rose" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>
>> I just did my first-ever pulled pork butt two weeks ago. And yes, I did
>> it in the oven as I don't have a smoker. I didn't dare talk about it on
>> alt.food.barbecue, but for oven prepared pork, it was out of this world.
>>

> Did you post your method? I don't have a smoker, or even a barbeque. I do
> have an oven, though, and pulled pork is almost impossible to find in Japan.
> I'd love to emulate your pulled-pork success. Sometimes I get a craving fo
> it, and feel I should indulge (though making pulled pork for one--I wonder
> how long it would take me to eat the whole thing?)

This is no big deal. It has, in fact, been discussed on afb. Anyway, just
take a bone-in pork shoulder (butt, Boston, whatever they're calling it over
there), cover with rub of your choice, let sit overnight in fridge (opt),
then put in oven, fat side up. Bake at any temp between 225-350 deg F
(depending on how long you want to wait) till bone turns freely in roast.
That's it. Pull apart and eat.

nb

Reg

Default User wrote:

> Dredging up this old topic, this sort of sauce was shown last night on
> Bobby Flay's BBQ show, the one that's like FoodNation. He was visiting
> Big Bob Gibson's in Alabama. The white sauce was similar to the recipe
> Reg gave before (I won't reproduce it here) except that it had some
> horseradish and "secret spices".

Is this it?

Big Bob's Gibson's White Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon lemon
2 tablespoons apple cider

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"alzelt" > wrote in message

> Rona,
>
> In an oven, coat your pork butt(er, the meat in the oven) with some
> dried rub. Here's one below.
>
> Then put it in the oven in a roasting pan, on a rack, fat side up,with
> some liquid in bottom of pan, and turn heat up to about 200-225F. Let it
> go for about 10-12 hours.( The idea is that you can shred(pull apart)
> the meat by using two forks in opposing directions.

<snip>

Thanks for the recipes. Would the above method for oven pulled pork also
work for beef brisket? I've been looking for pork shoulder (that's the part
of the pig pork butt comes from , right?) but have not yet found it. I know
I can get beef brisket at Costco, though. It won't be pulled pork, but I
could do something Southern fake-smoked meat/barbque-like with it, can't I?

I do have a Tilia now (yay Tilia!) so much of whatever I make can be frozen.
Plus a promised a friend that if I ever try making pulled pork, I'd invite
her to dinner.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Donna Rose" > wrote in message
k.net...

> I didn't post it previously, but I'll be happy to.
>
> One 5 pound boneless pork butt
> Liberally dusted with my favorite rub recipe (I use a homemade version of
> Emeril's Essence)
> Bring to room temperature
> Insert a digital probe thermometer into thickest part of the meat, being
> careful not to be in a fat pocket (This is the kind of thermometer that
> has a digital readout device that sits outside the oven, so you can
> monitor the temperature. I set the temperature for 195F.

<snip>

Thanks! I don't have a Polder anymore and amazon.co.jp doesn't seem to
carry them. I guess I'll just have to wing it! I'm still trying to get
used to my oven (gas convection) so I'll have to play a bit with the
temperature. Just have to make my rub and find that pork butt and I'm
half-way there!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Donna Rose" > wrote in message
k.net...

> I didn't post it previously, but I'll be happy to.
>
> One 5 pound boneless pork butt
> Liberally dusted with my favorite rub recipe (I use a homemade version of
> Emeril's Essence)
> Bring to room temperature
> Insert a digital probe thermometer into thickest part of the meat, being
> careful not to be in a fat pocket (This is the kind of thermometer that
> has a digital readout device that sits outside the oven, so you can
> monitor the temperature. I set the temperature for 195F.

<snip>

Thanks! I don't have a Polder anymore and amazon.co.jp doesn't seem to
carry them. I guess I'll just have to wing it! I'm still trying to get
used to my oven (gas convection) so I'll have to play a bit with the
temperature. Just have to make my rub and find that pork butt and I'm
half-way there!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"notbob" > wrote in message

> This is no big deal. It has, in fact, been discussed on afb. Anyway,

just
> take a bone-in pork shoulder (butt, Boston, whatever they're calling it

over
> there), cover with rub of your choice, let sit overnight in fridge (opt),
> then put in oven, fat side up. Bake at any temp between 225-350 deg F
> (depending on how long you want to wait) till bone turns freely in roast.
> That's it. Pull apart and eat.
>
> nb

I haven't yet discovered what pork shoulder is called here. I asked a
friend and she had never heard of it, so she suggested it the cut would be
the literal translation. I'm going to try Costco and if that fails, I guess
I'll have to special order it from somewhere. That'll make it one expensive
pulled pork sandwich! Chances of getting bone-in are slim, but I'll see
what I can do!

Thanks!
rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

In rec.food.cooking, sf > wrote:

> I know I'm opening up a hornet's nest here, but I have some
> questions...

> I've never eaten the real thing, but want to try it - is
> mayonaise based "white sauce" a common topping?

Nope.

> What about cole slaw - does it go in the sandwich or on the
> side?

Both/either. It's regional or personal choice.

> What side dishes are usually served with pulled pork?

Corn bread, slaw, iced tea.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
alzelt

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "alzelt" > wrote in message
>

>>Rona,
>>
>>In an oven, coat your pork butt(er, the meat in the oven) with some
>>dried rub. Here's one below.
>>
>>Then put it in the oven in a roasting pan, on a rack, fat side up,with
>>some liquid in bottom of pan, and turn heat up to about 200-225F. Let it
>> go for about 10-12 hours.( The idea is that you can shred(pull apart)
>>the meat by using two forks in opposing directions.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Thanks for the recipes. Would the above method for oven pulled pork also
> work for beef brisket? I've been looking for pork shoulder (that's the part
> of the pig pork butt comes from , right?) but have not yet found it. I know
> I can get beef brisket at Costco, though. It won't be pulled pork, but I
> could do something Southern fake-smoked meat/barbque-like with it, can't I?
>
> I do have a Tilia now (yay Tilia!) so much of whatever I make can be frozen.
> Plus a promised a friend that if I ever try making pulled pork, I'd invite
> her to dinner.

You can use any cheap cut of pork roast type meat. Back off on the
brisket. Wait until you get a pork roast, butt, shoulder, etc.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

BOB

Dog3 wrote:
> Gawd, I did a pulled pork butt today. I brined it and
> smoked it. It is delicious. Never done one before. It is
> so damned good. Now, if I could just get BBQ sauce right.
>
> Michael

Good barbecue don't need no sauce. Sauce is for covering up the mistakes.
;-)

What type of sauce do you want? Vinegar based? Ketchup based? Sweet?
Hot? Mustard based? The types are endless.

BOB
why did you brine a butt?

BOB

Dog3 wrote:
> Gawd, I did a pulled pork butt today. I brined it and
> smoked it. It is delicious. Never done one before. It is
> so damned good. Now, if I could just get BBQ sauce right.
>
> Michael

I fergot the link...
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

Here's the recipe my favorite started from, but I add and subtract as I
feel like at the time:
Eastern North Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce

2 cups Cider vinegar
1-2 Tbs Brown sugar
1-2 Tbs crushed red pepper flakes
1-2 Tbs red pepper (powdered cayenne)
1-2 Tbs fresh ground black pepper
1-2 Tbs salt

Mix all, bring to a boil (don't breathe in the vapors) and cool to room
temperature.
Keeps almost forever.

BOB

MareCat

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> Gawd, I did a pulled pork butt today. I brined it and smoked it. It is
> delicious. Never done one before. It is so damned good.

Great stuff, huh?? I love a good smoked butt. We do one every few weeks
during the cooler months. Can't stop picking at it after Hubby first pulls
it out of the smoker.

> Now, if I could
> just get BBQ sauce right.

Used to make my own (just ketchup, onions, brown sugar, Worchestershire,
cayenne, and cider vinegar), but I don't anymore since I found Stubb's BBQ
Sauce (made in Austin--I think you can find it outside of TX, though).
Pretty durn good for a commercial sauce.

Mary

Nexis

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> Gawd, I did a pulled pork butt today. I brined it and smoked it. It is
> delicious. Never done one before. It is so damned good. Now, if I could
> just get BBQ sauce right.
>
> Michael

Oh yes, learned the joys of making my own pulled pork a summer or two ago
myself! What kind of sauce are you looking to make? My husband is partial to
Carolina Mustard style, but I prefer the tomato based sauces myself. The
mustard and vinegar combo seems to be more than my tummy is willing to put
up with! lol
I made this when I did some pulled pork and beef brisket, along with a
couple other sauces, during the movie shoot when I had to feed a crowd
.....it got raves from all who tried it!

South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce

1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp butter, divided into 4 pieces

Combine everything but the butter in a saucepan and bring to a bubbling boil
over med heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter.
That's it! Easy as can be.

kimberly

Louis Cohen

Dog3 wrote:
> Gawd, I did a pulled pork butt today. I brined it and smoked it. It is
> delicious. Never done one before. It is so damned good. Now, if I could
> just get BBQ sauce right.
>
> Michael

I like a little eastern NC style sauce on my pulled pork - salt, pepper,
crushed chile, and cider vinegar. After you pull, mix in tech sauce
like salad dressing - not very much. Apple adn pork go togther so
nicely, and tech vinegar helps cut tech grease of beth meat.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877
JERRY MINASI

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:23:55 -0800, Louis Cohen
> wrote:

> tech vinegar

Please...What's tech Vinegar?
thanks