Kswck

Default Help with Cuban Oregano

I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with regular
sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized leaves.
I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were limp, water logged
and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the consistency
was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy with the
results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the fresh
stuff.
I wish to preserve and store it.

Any suggestions?

The Cook

"Kswck" > wrote:

>I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
>This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with regular
>sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized leaves.
>I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were limp, water logged
>and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the consistency
>was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
>Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy with the
>results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
>All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the fresh
>stuff.
>I wish to preserve and store it.
>
>Any suggestions?

I salt some of my basil leaves. The flavor is still good and the
texture is good. Try a few and see if it works. I usually use Kosher
salt, but most any kind should work.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Kswck

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
> >I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
> >This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with regular
> >sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized leaves.
> >I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were limp, water

logged
> >and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the consistency
> >was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
> >Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy with

the
> >results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
> >All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the fresh
> >stuff.
> >I wish to preserve and store it.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >

> I salt some of my basil leaves. The flavor is still good and the
> texture is good. Try a few and see if it works. I usually use Kosher
> salt, but most any kind should work.

Actually I was asking about Cuban Oregano-not basil.

Foxy Lady

"Kswck" > wrote in message
t...
> I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
> This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with regular
> sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized leaves.
> I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were limp, water

logged
> and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the consistency
> was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
> Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy with

the
> results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
> All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the fresh
> stuff.
> I wish to preserve and store it.
>
> Any suggestions?

May I suggest air drying the leaves still attached to the stalks as you
would fresh flowers?

My oregano plant - which is called oregano brujo (witch's oregano) in Puerto
Rico because it grows wild and thrives with no attention given but dies if
you water and care for them - grew so big that i cut full stems off it and
hung them upside down to dry...

they turned brownish green but retained all the flavor...

hope this works for you...

Sandra

Foxy Lady

"Kswck" > wrote in message
t...
> I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
> This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with regular
> sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized leaves.
> I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were limp, water

logged
> and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the consistency
> was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
> Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy with

the
> results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
> All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the fresh
> stuff.
> I wish to preserve and store it.
>
> Any suggestions?

May I suggest air drying the leaves still attached to the stalks as you
would fresh flowers?

My oregano plant - which is called oregano brujo (witch's oregano) in Puerto
Rico because it grows wild and thrives with no attention given but dies if
you water and care for them - grew so big that i cut full stems off it and
hung them upside down to dry...

they turned brownish green but retained all the flavor...

hope this works for you...

Sandra

hahabogus

"Foxy Lady" > wrote in
:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> t...
>> I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
>> This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with
>> regular sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized
>> leaves. I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were
>> limp, water

> logged
>> and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the
>> consistency was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
>> Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy
>> with

> the
>> results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
>> All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the
>> fresh stuff.
>> I wish to preserve and store it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> May I suggest air drying the leaves still attached to the stalks as
> you would fresh flowers?
>
> My oregano plant - which is called oregano brujo (witch's oregano) in
> Puerto Rico because it grows wild and thrives with no attention given
> but dies if you water and care for them - grew so big that i cut full
> stems off it and hung them upside down to dry...
>
> they turned brownish green but retained all the flavor...
>
> hope this works for you...
>
> Sandra

How about those microwave drying kits?...felt and weights to press and dry
plants. At lee Valley.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Foxy Lady

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Foxy Lady" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > t...
> >> I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
> >> This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with
> >> regular sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized
> >> leaves. I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were
> >> limp, water

> > logged
> >> and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the
> >> consistency was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
> >> Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy
> >> with

> > the
> >> results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
> >> All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the
> >> fresh stuff.
> >> I wish to preserve and store it.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>

> > May I suggest air drying the leaves still attached to the stalks as
> > you would fresh flowers?
> >
> > My oregano plant - which is called oregano brujo (witch's oregano) in
> > Puerto Rico because it grows wild and thrives with no attention given
> > but dies if you water and care for them - grew so big that i cut full
> > stems off it and hung them upside down to dry...
> >
> > they turned brownish green but retained all the flavor...
> >
> > hope this works for you...
> >
> > Sandra
> >

> How about those microwave drying kits?...felt and weights to press and dry
> plants. At lee Valley.

I've never used those kits so I don't know if they would work. The leaves of
this kind of oregano plant are very thick and very juicy... like a
succulent...

I've only dried them once and it came out fine... but now i puree them with
some salt and olive oil, then freeze the mix for future use in sofrito. It
looks darker but works just fine.

Sandra

Michael Odom

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:11:34 GMT, "Kswck" > wrote:

>> I salt some of my basil leaves. The flavor is still good and the
>> texture is good. Try a few and see if it works. I usually use Kosher
>> salt, but most any kind should work.
>>

>Actually I was asking about Cuban Oregano-not basil.

Yeah, but still, it might work. Worth an experiment. I tried to grow
Cuban oregano one summer, but it died. Where are you growing it?

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Kswck

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:11:34 GMT, "Kswck" > wrote:
>
> >> I salt some of my basil leaves. The flavor is still good and the
> >> texture is good. Try a few and see if it works. I usually use Kosher
> >> salt, but most any kind should work.
> >>

> >Actually I was asking about Cuban Oregano-not basil.
> >

> Yeah, but still, it might work. Worth an experiment. I tried to grow
> Cuban oregano one summer, but it died. Where are you growing it?
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

One set is in a wine barrel in a garden. The others are in a small garbage
can sitting on a balconey.

Kswck

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Foxy Lady" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > t...
> >> I was introduced to it last year. It is great used fresh.
> >> This year I overbought it and have a couple of large plants with
> >> regular sized leaves and 3 even larger plants with dinner plate sized
> >> leaves. I tried freezing it, but upon defrosting, the leaves were
> >> limp, water

> > logged
> >> and really dark green. Although they had the right smell, the
> >> consistency was that of 'for use only in stews/soups'.
> >> Last year I tried drying them at about 115 degrees, but was unhappy
> >> with

> > the
> >> results-they browned, looked like dead leaves and were useless.
> >> All the net searches I found deal with growing and cooking with the
> >> fresh stuff.
> >> I wish to preserve and store it.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>

> > May I suggest air drying the leaves still attached to the stalks as
> > you would fresh flowers?
> >
> > My oregano plant - which is called oregano brujo (witch's oregano) in
> > Puerto Rico because it grows wild and thrives with no attention given
> > but dies if you water and care for them - grew so big that i cut full
> > stems off it and hung them upside down to dry...
> >
> > they turned brownish green but retained all the flavor...
> >
> > hope this works for you...
> >
> > Sandra
> >

> How about those microwave drying kits?...felt and weights to press and dry
> plants. At lee Valley.
>
> --

Never tried that. I use a dehydrator.

Cuban Oregano ??? pltrgyst[_4_] General Cooking 3 30-11-2013 10:13 PM
Cuban oregano Cindy Fuller[_2_] General Cooking 4 25-05-2013 05:23 PM
Oregano Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 39 09-10-2012 03:38 PM
Oregano The Cook Preserving 35 30-05-2012 07:50 PM
An embarrassment of Oregano General Cooking 17 25-05-2006 05:05 PM