Cindy Fuller

Default A plea to Penzey's

I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
of their email link to send them the following request:

Dear friends,
There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't! We would like to suggest
that you take advantage of this loyal core of customers in Seattle and
open a Penzeys store hereabouts. Please don't keep us envying Houston!

Thanks for considering our plea.

Yes, it's a bit schmaltzy, but whatever it takes...

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Change the sprinkle to a spring to email me
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> of their email link to send them the following request:
>
> Dear friends,
> There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
> Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston.

<snip>

A thought just came to mind...is it possible that Penzey's isn't opening in
the Seattle-area because Seattle already has a spice store? Maybe they're
extending some kind of professional courtesy to their 'rivals'.

I think they should open a store in Canada, but I don't see that happening
anytime soon :-(.

rona

kalanamak

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> > of their email link to send them the following request:
> >
> > Dear friends,
> > There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
> > Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston.

> <snip>
>
> A thought just came to mind...is it possible that Penzey's isn't opening in
> the Seattle-area because Seattle already has a spice store? Maybe they're
> extending some kind of professional courtesy to their 'rivals'.

I had offered to drive them around the area to check out sites.
Personally, I think Tacoma (cheaper rents and called "Seattle's new
district") is up their alley. They don't put stores in Chicago or NYC,
but nearby. Their reply was that they didn't have any connections out
here, no hot dog manager who was out there. Anyone want to apply?
blacksalt
I think Oly and Bellingham might work, too, or even Vancouver WA
Gar

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:05:00 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> Please don't keep us envying Houston!

That's pretty sad. Houston sucks. Just to rub some salt in your
wounds, I can drive to two Penzey's in about 20 minutes each. They
have a relative who operates Spice House in Evanston, Il. They would
be my first choice, but that's about an hour drive.

Garzney
Frank Mancuso

I'm quite sure that Penzey's, too, thought Houston sucks... that's why
they opened one there.
Frank in Austin
(but from Houston)

Gar wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:05:00 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>

>>Please don't keep us envying Houston!

> That's pretty sad. Houston sucks. Just to rub some salt in your
> wounds, I can drive to two Penzey's in about 20 minutes each. They
> have a relative who operates Spice House in Evanston, Il. They would
> be my first choice, but that's about an hour drive.
>
> Garzney

pj

Frank Mancuso wrote:

> I'm quite sure that Penzey's, too, thought Houston sucks... that's why
> they opened one there.
> Frank in Austin
> (but from Houston)
>
> Gar wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:05:00 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>Please don't keep us envying Houston!

> > That's pretty sad. Houston sucks. Just to rub some salt in your
> > wounds, I can drive to two Penzey's in about 20 minutes each. They
> > have a relative who operates Spice House in Evanston, Il. They would
> > be my first choice, but that's about an hour drive.
> >
> > Garzney

They just opened one in Grand Rapids, Michigan! I'm sooo happy. Have
visited it, it's nice
and I nobly restrained myself from spending a fortune only because I had
just recently placed
an online order.

pj

Jack Schidt®

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> of their email link to send them the following request:
>
> Dear friends,
> There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
> Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
> Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't! We would like to suggest
> that you take advantage of this loyal core of customers in Seattle and
> open a Penzeys store hereabouts. Please don't keep us envying Houston!
>
> Thanks for considering our plea.
>
> Yes, it's a bit schmaltzy, but whatever it takes...

No offense, but they're not going to take anyone who envies houston
seriously. Haha! Good luck though, on your mission.

Jack Roundfile

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"kalanamak" > wrote in message

> I had offered to drive them around the area to check out sites.
> Personally, I think Tacoma (cheaper rents and called "Seattle's new
> district") is up their alley. They don't put stores in Chicago or NYC,
> but nearby. Their reply was that they didn't have any connections out
> here, no hot dog manager who was out there. Anyone want to apply?

Maybe in 30-some years when you retire? Sounds as though they just don't
want to open out there. They could always hire a hot dog manager, after
all. And what kind of connections do they need? Anyone know anyone in the
Seattle-area mafia who could help out?

> blacksalt
> I think Oly and Bellingham might work, too, or even Vancouver WA

Vancouver would work for me. My brother lives there, so he could be my
"supplier."

rona

kalanamak

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> Maybe in 30-some years when you retire?

If I'm still working in 30-some years it means I'm desperate for money.
Honey, just because the day we met we were both wearing Tevas, it
doesn't mean I'm not a generation older than you!
blacksalt
Cindy Fuller

In article > ,
"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> > of their email link to send them the following request:
> >
> > Dear friends,
> > There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
> > Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
> > Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't! We would like to suggest
> > that you take advantage of this loyal core of customers in Seattle and
> > open a Penzeys store hereabouts. Please don't keep us envying Houston!
> >
> > Thanks for considering our plea.
> >
> > Yes, it's a bit schmaltzy, but whatever it takes...
> >

> No offense, but they're not going to take anyone who envies houston
> seriously. Haha! Good luck though, on your mission.
>
> Jack Roundfile

Yeah, I worried about that. Maybe I should have put Jacksonville. I
never saw much in the way of redeeming social value of that city on our
drives between NC and Miami.

Vancouver would work for me, Rona, as long as the guys at the border
don't mistake the fleur de sel for crystal meth.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Change the sprinkle to a spring to email me

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message

> Vancouver would work for me, Rona, as long as the guys at the border
> don't mistake the fleur de sel for crystal meth.

No, no, that's Vancouver, WA. No border for you to worry about, but is it
closer or farther for you?

rona

j.j.

Hark! I heard "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > say:
> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message

> > Vancouver would work for me, Rona, as long as the guys at the border
> > don't mistake the fleur de sel for crystal meth.

> No, no, that's Vancouver, WA. No border for you to worry about, but is it
> closer or farther for you?

I think Vancouver, WA is a little farther away from Seattle, but not
by much. I'm not sure, I rarely get that far south...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
alzelt

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>
>>I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
>>of their email link to send them the following request:
>>
>>Dear friends,
>>There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
>>Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
>>Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't! We would like to suggest
>>that you take advantage of this loyal core of customers in Seattle and
>>open a Penzeys store hereabouts. Please don't keep us envying Houston!
>>
>>Thanks for considering our plea.
>>
>>Yes, it's a bit schmaltzy, but whatever it takes...
>>

> No offense, but they're not going to take anyone who envies houston
> seriously. Haha! Good luck though, on your mission.
>
> Jack Roundfile

You do have a point, Jack. Maybe that is why I don't ask them to open a
store here. Not envying Houston is also true.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>

>>"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
>>>of their email link to send them the following request:
>>>
>>>Dear friends,
>>>There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
>>>Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
>>>Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't! We would like to suggest
>>>that you take advantage of this loyal core of customers in Seattle and
>>>open a Penzeys store hereabouts. Please don't keep us envying Houston!
>>>
>>>Thanks for considering our plea.
>>>
>>>Yes, it's a bit schmaltzy, but whatever it takes...
>>>

>>No offense, but they're not going to take anyone who envies houston
>>seriously. Haha! Good luck though, on your mission.
>>
>>Jack Roundfile
>>

> Yeah, I worried about that. Maybe I should have put Jacksonville. I
> never saw much in the way of redeeming social value of that city on our
> drives between NC and Miami.
>
> Vancouver would work for me, Rona, as long as the guys at the border
> don't mistake the fleur de sel for crystal meth.
>
> Cindy

Nah, they're too busy to confiscating raw milk cheese and sausages. As
you can see, they have more important duties than drugs.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Gar

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:55:56 GMT, Frank Mancuso
> wrote:

>I'm quite sure that Penzey's, too, thought Houston sucks... that's why
>they opened one there.
>Frank in Austin
>(but from Houston)

LOL.. I'm sure Penzey's improved the property value on the whole
country of texass.

Gar

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> of their email link to send them the following request:
> . . .
> We would like to suggest that you take advantage of this loyal core of
> customers in Seattle and open a Penzeys store hereabouts.

I'm surprised you'd find a need for a Penzey's in Seattle. Just about
every supermarket has a bulk-spice section. I know that the food co-ops,
the Greenwood Market and Central Market in Shoreline all have a frequent
turnover of product so their spices are fresh.

It's true that Penzey's sells spice mixes, but I never use those;
I make my own, including a mild curry mix. Another favorite of mine
is equal parts paprika, cumin, and coriander -- I use this on chicken,
and grilled onions and mushrooms and zucchini.

What do you like about Penzey's that you can't find in the Seattle stores?

Sandy
alzelt

Gar wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:55:56 GMT, Frank Mancuso
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm quite sure that Penzey's, too, thought Houston sucks... that's why
>>they opened one there.
>>Frank in Austin
>>(but from Houston)

> LOL.. I'm sure Penzey's improved the property value on the whole
> country of texass.
>
> Gar

Nah, just the moron moving his residence to Washington took care of that.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"kalanamak" > wrote in message

> If I'm still working in 30-some years it means I'm desperate for money.
> Honey, just because the day we met we were both wearing Tevas, it
> doesn't mean I'm not a generation older than you!
> blacksalt

Not too many years older, IIRC :-). I was thinking you loved your job so
much you'd be doing it well past retirement age...

Did I save myself?

rona

jjp

Cindy Fuller > wrote in message >.. .
> I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> of their email link to send them the following request:
>
> Dear friends,
> There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
> Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston.

Am I missing something?

Houston is far and away a nicer city than the first three you
mentioned... it just never seems to get good press.
jjp

Gar <> wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:05:00 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>

> > Please don't keep us envying Houston!

> That's pretty sad. Houston sucks.

I'm going to have to speak up, because I've been so appalled at all
the Houston-bashing I've seen the last few years. I moved to Houston
about five years ago, and it is VERY underrated as a city and MUCH
nicer than outsiders (or people who lived/visited more than 5-10 years
ago) give it credit for.

Houston is a great place to live and a nice place to visit. It is a
cool city that gets a bad rap. Yeah yeah, I hear it used to not be
very nice years ago, but present-day Houston is not the same as the
Houston from the 80's or early 90's.

Why is it that when people bring up Houston it's so often something
negative? And truthfully, most of that is exaggerated or wrong. A
majority of the time, I find that people who speak badly of it are
usually misinformed.

I'm not the only one who feels so positively about Houston -- Places
Rated Almanac, one of the more respected sources for rating places to
live, has Houston in their top 10 overall ranking, and as the highest
ranked city in Texas.

One of Houston's biggest problems is that outsiders know so little
about it apart from the negative aspects (which every city has some
of). Even those in others Texas cities like Austin and Dallas are
guilty of this. When I moved from Austin to Houston, my friends in
Austin told me I was crazy and said such things as "why would you want
to live there?" Well, when I've since had some of those same people
visit me here and they have been very pleasantly surprised, a few even
considering a move here. My out of state friends and family have also
found Houston to be much nicer than they expected, with the exception
of the traffic (though traffic is much worse in L.A., Seattle, Bay
Area, etc).

One of the main problems is with the media and Hollywood, which
continue to portray Houston in a negative way. Everyone hears about
"Houston-based Enron" (few of us hear which city WorldCom is in), the
Houston mother who drowned her kids, the fraction of the year that the
weather is bad, the oil industry (as if there's nothing else), the
fact that there's no zoning (but there are some very strict
neighborhood ordinances), and the industry/refineries that are
characteristic of the industrial east side (but not of the rest of the
city).

And of course there are the ongoing fallacies that never seem to die
--
There is the unscientific "study" by Men's Fitness Magazine on Houston
supposedly being the "fattest city." A more scientific study by the
Centers for Disease Control found San Antonio as most obese, and
didn't even find Houston to be in the top ten. Of course the CDC study
is rarely mentioned; even WebMD went by the unscientific Men's Fitness
"study."
There is this idea that Houston is not a good place to live. Well, the
only "best places to live lists" mentioned by the media are usually
those done by magazines once a year or so, probably in an effort to
boost sales. We rarely hear of the ratings from Places Rated Almanac,
which is a more reliable source for this kind of thing.
There is this idea that Houston is a swamp. Maybe it used to be long
ago. But I can tell you after living in New Orleans, Houston is far
from being a real swamp -- high rainfall, some creeks/bayous, and a
few outlying wetlands do not equal a real swamp.
There is this idea that Houston is a big industrial blue-collar town
full of refineries. Although this may be characteristic of the east
side areas (Baytown, Channelview, Pasadena) it is not characteristic
of the rest of metro Houston. But you would be surprised at how many
outsiders think it is.
Along with that is probably the biggest misconception -- at the fault
of the media and politics -- that Houston is the "most polluted city."
Not only was it never technically "most polluted", it's not now
either. When Houston surpassed L.A. in ozone violations in 1999 and
2000, it was never mentioned that ozone is only one of six kinds of
air pollution as defined by the EPA. Instead, being high in ozone
violations was misleadingly overgeneralized into being "most polluted"
overall. And presently, Houston is neither highest in ozone, other
kinds of air pollution, or overall air pollution.
There is the idea that Houston must be full of hillbillies, cowboys,
uncultured hicks and the similar simply because what part of the
country it's in. Few people know that Houston is a leader in the arts
and has some of the country's finest programs and museum collections,
and the country's largest grouping of hospitals and medical research
facilities.

It is so often forgotten by others that Houston is a large (nation's
4th largest city), international port city much like Los Angeles,
Miami, New York, and Seattle, and that over 90 languages are spoken
here. The population is ethnically diverse and international.

Most people don't realize that Houston has top-notch arts programs,
fine museums, and a theater district second in size only to New York's
Broadway. It has the third largest number of working artists in the
country.

Houston's restaurant scene is also rated highly; in fact, it has been
rated as one of the best in the country by Wine Spectator, Esquire,
and PETA (vegetarian).

The cost of living is moderate to low, weather is mild overall, and
the crime rates are not particularly high for of city of this size.

I suppose outsiders just love to knock Houston because they can get
away with it rather easily since so many others are rather ignorant
about Houston. Basically, it's an easy target. To top it off, Houston
leaders do very little to counter all the misconceptions.

jjp

Gar <> wrote in message >. ..
> [...]

Most people don't realize that Houston has top-notch arts programs,
fine museums, and a theater district second in size only to New York's
Broadway. It has the third largest number of working artists in the
country.

Houston's restaurant scene is also rated highly; in fact, it has been
rated as one of the best in the country by Wine Spectator, Esquire,
and PETA (vegetarian).

The cost of living is moderate to low, weather is mild overall, and
the crime rates are not particularly high for of city of this size.

I suppose outsiders just love to knock Houston because they can get
away with it rather easily since so many others are rather ignorant
about Houston. Basically, it's an easy target. To top it off, Houston
leaders do very little to counter all the misconceptions.
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>

> > Vancouver would work for me, Rona, as long as the guys at the border
> > don't mistake the fleur de sel for crystal meth.
> >

> No, no, that's Vancouver, WA. No border for you to worry about, but is it
> closer or farther for you?

Probably equidistant. I have a better idea--maybe Penzey's should open
its store in Portland (OR). That way we could go down there and not pay
sales tax on our spice-shopping sprees. What do you think, Blacksalt?

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Change the sprinkle to a spring to email me
Jeff Bienstadt

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> In article >,
> "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote:
>
>> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>>

>> > Vancouver would work for me, Rona, as long as the guys at the border
>> > don't mistake the fleur de sel for crystal meth.
>> >

>> No, no, that's Vancouver, WA. No border for you to worry about, but is
>> it closer or farther for you?
>>

> Probably equidistant. I have a better idea--maybe Penzey's should open
> its store in Portland (OR). That way we could go down there and not pay
> sales tax on our spice-shopping sprees. What do you think, Blacksalt?
>
> Cindy

And think of all the money and time you could spend in the Le Creuset outlet
store and Powell's books.

I love going to Portland.

---jkb

--
"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins!"
-- Armondo Guitierrez

MareCat

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:05:00 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
>of their email link to send them the following request:
>
>Dear friends,
>There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
>Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
>Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't! We would like to suggest
>that you take advantage of this loyal core of customers in Seattle and
>open a Penzeys store hereabouts. Please don't keep us envying Houston!

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Houston?
Seattlejo

kalanamak wrote:
> Seattlejo wrote:
>
>>Or World Spice? Market Spice? Both located at Pike Place and having good
>>quality spices.

> Market Spice: old spices, whole place reeks of the damn tea, which is so
> potent it gives me dysuria. World Spice...very nice place, but not a
> complete overlap of Penzey's by a long shot. I love teasing the good
> looking guys behind the counter.
> blacksalt
> a sure sign I'm secure in my fat white middle age.
>
> ObThe NEws: I love it...Strom got caught with his pants down.

I would have thought Market Spice would have a better turnover with all
the tourists. I've only recently bought spices there and have yet to
open them so we'll see. Agreed that Tony at WorldSpice doesnt have
everything. Of course if we could just get a spicier not in the market
I'd be happy. Yeah sure I can go to Ballard Market and get items in
bulk, but nothing beat walking into The Spice House in Evanston Il and
getting my spices. It's just the whole experience

Deb
j.j.

Hark! I heard Jeff Bienstadt > say:
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> No, no, that's Vancouver, WA. No border for you to worry about, but is
> >> it closer or farther for you?

> > Probably equidistant. I have a better idea--maybe Penzey's should open
> > its store in Portland (OR). That way we could go down there and not pay
> > sales tax on our spice-shopping sprees. What do you think, Blacksalt?

> And think of all the money and time you could spend in the Le Creuset outlet
> store and Powell's books.

Plus you could hit the outlet stores in Centralia along the way. I
keep trying to get down to the Revereware store, maybe post-Christmas.
Of course, we get stuck with the sales tax in Centralia.

> I love going to Portland.

Okay, Penzey's in Portland it is... ;-)

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
jjp

MareCat > wrote in message >. ..
> On 15 Dec 2003 13:35:00 -0800, (jjp) wrote:
>
> >Gar <> wrote in message >. ..
> >> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:05:00 GMT, Cindy Fuller

> >> That's pretty sad. Houston sucks.

> >I'm going to have to speak up, because I've been so appalled at all
> >the Houston-bashing I've seen the last few years. I moved to Houston
> >about five years ago, and it is VERY underrated as a city and MUCH
> >nicer than outsiders (or people who lived/visited more than 5-10 years
> >ago) give it credit for.

> <snip great reply>
>
> I'm always amazed by the ignorance that people display when it comes
> to Houston.

Yes, I think a lot of it is ignorance... people just know so little
about it other than the few bad things mentioned in the news... or
think of it in the typical Texas/South stereotype -- which Houston
does not fit into.

> I moved down here 13 years ago from the northeast (where I
> was born and raised). I love this area and consider it home. Houston
> has everything desirable in a large city (4th-largest in the U.S.).
> The weather during the summer leaves a lot to be desired, but then
> again, it's also the most air-conditioned city in the world. Family
> members and friends who come to visit me are always VERY impressed by
> all that the city has to offer.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
> of their email link to send them the following request:
>
> Dear friends,
> There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
> Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
> Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't!

And Minneapolis-St Paul metro area has THREE! Each within 25 minutes of
me.
--
-Barb
12-13-03: The first two days of Melba Does Manhattan have been
Nancy Young

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> And Minneapolis-St Paul metro area has THREE! Each within 25 minutes of
> me.

Braggart.

nancy
alzelt

Seattlejo wrote:

> I would have thought Market Spice would have a better turnover with all
> the tourists.

Not sure why a tourist from MSP, Houston, CT and Chicago would come to
Seattle to buy spices when they have Penzey's. But if you had said crab,
singing scallops and spot prawns, you would have been on to something!!

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>

>>I had to order some stuff from Penzey's this morning and took advantage
>>of their email link to send them the following request:
>>
>>Dear friends,
>>There are a number of us here in the Seattle area who are jealous of
>>Jacksonville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and (gasp!) Houston. Why, you ask?
>>Because they have Penzeys stores and we don't!

> And Minneapolis-St Paul metro area has THREE! Each within 25 minutes of
> me.

That's being hoggish. Three for you and none for me. (

Please, tell one of them to move into Manhattan, N.Y.C. Having seen you
doing it several times, I know that you can charm the wings off a
butterfly, so why not get one little store from a big company to move to
such a large consumer market. Or, promise the person with whom you
negotiate, that you will show him/her your tattoos.

Thank you in advance, Margaret

Melba's Jammin'

In article . net>,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > And Minneapolis-St Paul metro area has THREE! Each within 25 minutes
> > of me.

> That's being hoggish. Three for you and none for me. (
>
> Please, tell one of them to move into Manhattan, N.Y.C. Having seen you
> doing it several times, I know that you can charm the wings off a
> butterfly, so why not get one little store from a big company to move to
> such a large consumer market. Or, promise the person with whom you
> negotiate, that you will show him/her your tattoos.
>
> Thank you in advance, Margaret

I wonder if they think the Manhattan rent would kill them. The stores
in MSP (haven't been to one of them, though) are not large at all.
Maybe twice the size of the Polish butcher shop? Maybe three times
(it's long and narrow). If they sold their wares at standard prices,
they would have to have one helluva lot of traffice to make the rent,
I'm thinking. JAT.

Margaret, Darling Woman, I've JUST uploaded the rest of my tales of
Melba Does Manhattan. Have fun looking! (Looks like you got your new
machine, too!)
--
-Barb
12-13-03: The first two days of Melba Does Manhattan have been
added to my site: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
"If you're ever in a jam, here I am."

PENMART01

Melba's Jammin' > writes:

>I wonder if they think the Manhattan rent would kill them. The stores
>in MSP (haven't been to one of them, though) are not large at all.
>Maybe twice the size of the Polish butcher shop? Maybe three times
>(it's long and narrow). If they sold their wares at standard prices,
>they would have to have one helluva lot of traffice to make the rent,

I'm thinking with a store in in Manhattan the very next day there'd be hawkers
at street corners selling Penzeys knockoffs... crap from the Dollar store
bearing a bogus Penzeys label.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Julian Vrieslander

In article
alzelt > wrote:

> singing scallops

Huh? Whazzat?

--
Julian Vrieslander
Gar

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:53:02 -0800, Seattlejo
> wrote:

> but nothing beat walking into The Spice House in Evanston Il and
>getting my spices. It's just the whole experience

The Spice House unfortunately doesn't get much recognition here. The
place is great.

Gar
blake murphy

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:18:03 GMT, alzelt
> wrote:

>Gar wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:55:56 GMT, Frank Mancuso
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I'm quite sure that Penzey's, too, thought Houston sucks... that's why
>>>they opened one there.
>>>Frank in Austin
>>>(but from Houston)

>> LOL.. I'm sure Penzey's improved the property value on the whole
>> country of texass.
>>
>> Gar

>Nah, just the moron moving his residence to Washington took care of that.

get ready for the reverse in 2004.

your pal,
blake